• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Fractal Design EDISON M Series 650 W

Fractal Design has for the first time worked with Seasonic, and the outcome is the Edison Modular series. Today, we will take a detailed look at the Edison M with 650 W capacity, the second-strongest unit of the series. It features Gold-certified efficiency, a semi-modular cabling design, and an FDB fan.

Show full review

Last edited by a moderator:
System Name Order66
Processor Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard Asus TUF GAMING B550-PLUS
Cooling AMD Wraith Prism (BOX-cooler)
Memory 16GB DDR4 Corsair Desktop RAM Vengeance LPX 3200MHz Red
Video Card(s) GeForce RTX 3060Ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 510 1TB SSD
Display(s) Asus VE228HR
Case Thermaltake Versa C21 RGB
Audio Device(s) onboard Realtek
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Software Windows10 64bit
crmaris wrote:
Some would also like a semi-passive fan-operation option, but I am not a huge fan of the method since it puts a lot of stress on such sensitive components as electrolytic caps. After all, the fan is hardly audible so long as it rotates at very slow speeds, while still providing some airflow to counteract increased internal heat-up nicely.

I was thinking the exact same thing about the semi passive fan operation. Unnecessary risk in my opinion, which in the long term might affect longevity.
Very nice review crmaris :)

Where are the fan RPMs???
You were one of the (very) few sites that measured it. Please don't tell me you won't be doing it from now on...

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
By how much will a semi fanless design reduce longevity, hypothetically?

You were one of the (very) few sites that measured it. Please don't tell me you won't be doing it from now on...

From the review:

We couldn't measure the fan's speed (RPMs) due to its white-colored fan blades that didn't reflect the laser beam of our tachometer properly, so we will only provide you with the delta difference between input and output temperature and the fan's output noise. The following results were obtained at 36°C-45°C ambient.

System Name Order66
Processor Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard Asus TUF GAMING B550-PLUS
Cooling AMD Wraith Prism (BOX-cooler)
Memory 16GB DDR4 Corsair Desktop RAM Vengeance LPX 3200MHz Red
Video Card(s) GeForce RTX 3060Ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 510 1TB SSD
Display(s) Asus VE228HR
Case Thermaltake Versa C21 RGB
Audio Device(s) onboard Realtek
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Software Windows10 64bit
By how much will a semi fanless design reduce longevity, hypothetically?

If you ask me, i didn't say it affects longevity, i said "it's an unnecessary risk, which in the long term might affect longevity" due to the high temperatures that are being produced.
( Even if it's only 1-2% chance for that scenario to happen, i'm unwilling to try it !!;))

This is why I hate white fans :) No worries I will never cut something useful as fan RPM from my methodology.

System Name Zen
Processor Ryzen 5950X
Motherboard MSI
Cooling Noctua
Memory G.Skill 32G
Video Card(s) RX 7900 XTX
Storage never enough
Display(s) not OLED :-(
Keyboard Wooting One
Software Linux
good review and planning to buy one...

From the review:
"The second downside I spotted is the semi-modular cabling design as most units at this price point are fully modular. Some prospective buyers may, as such, go with a different PSU. Normally, I wouldn't bring this matter up, but its direct competitors based on the same platform don't utilize as many affixed cables."

Absolute ideal PSU would be the one that is 100% UN-modular, yet, has all and ONLY the exact cables that you need for your build. Because that is usually unrealistic to achieve, they implemented modular cables. Still... that makes semi-modular PSU-s closest to ideal, if they have only actually needed fixed cables. On the case of Edison M 650W we have motherboard 2 cables + 1x PCI-e as fixed cables (you ever build a PC without motherboard or at least 1 GPU? I never did...) => best setup ever for any 1 GPU build... with the option to add some more cables when the need arises.

Lots of good alternative choices at this price point

Name any please that come close to this?
Must be the local market thing here, but I can't seem to find anything even close to that performance with this price.
edit: nvm. found one myself now (it has bigger fan also :peace:)
http://www.thermaltake.com/products-model.aspx?id=C_00002308

Single EPS connector (a necessary compromise, though, since the unit comes with six PCIe connectors)

And why exactly would you ever need second EPS connector?

Last edited:
System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit

gkzap

Very good power supply but low position of plugins is double edged sword. Good for hiding cables but can obstruct space for bottom fans in compact cases like Corsair Carbide Spec 01-03.