• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Is this type of performance in games a RAM issue?

cooliosis

Specs:
EVGA GTX 660 Ti Superclocked 2GB
i7-3770 @ 3.4GHz
8GB RAM, running dual channel @ 1600MHz according to CPU-Z
7200RPM hard drive (specifics unknown because I don't know how to check and this is a prebuilt computer)
750w PSU (specifics also unknown)
I've had this problem with a few other recent games, and I think all of them are open-world games (Watch Dogs, Far Cry 4 are two others). I don't think I remember this happening in linear games. For example, if I'm moving at a high speed in GTA 5, my game stutters/freezes to a point where it's unplayable. The stuttering isn't as noticeable on foot, but it eventually happens.
This is graph of my resource monitor when I'm playing: http://i.imgur.com/OhVK7Ho.jpg
This is a graph from HDTune (not playing; seems pretty bad): http://imgur.com/QDsyhkr
And here's a video I recorded while playing (sorry if it's a little difficult to see the Afterburner overlay):
The performance is pretty much the same with or without recording.
The freezes/stutters are always there, but the slow texture loading is there sometimes, other times it isn't. The first percentage for GPU on the overlay is power usage, the second is temperature, the third is GPU usage, and the fourth is fan speed. Below that is VRAM usage, and you can also see my CPU temps/usage as well as RAM usage and pagefile usage. I let my power usage for my GPU go above 100% because it seemed like it alleviated the problem somewhat by doing so; I'm pretty sure my PSU has enough power to support that.
I don't have any other programs open when I'm playing GTA except for MSI Afterburner, Steam, and my DS3 to Xinput program (not MotionJoy, it's from Scarlet Crush Productions).
Things that I notice when the stutters happen is that the GPU usage, power usage, and CPU usage completely drop to 0%; not sure if that's directly causing it or not. But I'm thinking that it might be a problem with either my RAM or my hard drive; I'm leaning towards hard drive, but shouldn't it only be loading textures slowly if that were the problem, not a ton of stuttering? As far as I know, hard drive should only affect loading times and such, right?
I've tried increasing my page file, I've tried lowering the priority of the launcher and increasing the game's priority, I've tried completely uninstalling my display drivers and reinstalling them using Display Driver Uninstaller, and I'm really not sure what else to do. Thanks for any help, and I'll provide more info if needed.

More about : gta freezes stuttering caused hard drive ram

• Options

System Name MRCOMP!
Processor 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI Gaming Plus
Cooling Corsair 280 AIO
Memory 64GB 3600mhz
Video Card(s) GTX3060
Storage 1TB SSD
Display(s) Samsung Neo
Case No Case... just sitting on cardboard :D
Power Supply Antec 650w
Are you running out of RAM or VRAM? Check with Task manager and GPU-Z

If your running with a high resolution and lots of AA then I would suspect your running out of VRAM.

cooliosis

Are you running out of RAM or VRAM?

Check with Task manager and GPU-Z
I'm not running out of either, really. VRAM is never more than 1600MB out of my card's 2048MB. RAM is almost always at around 7000MB; I've seen it at around 7300-7500 at times, but it still has the same issue at 7000, or even high 6000s.

System Name MRCOMP!
Processor 5800X3D
Cooling Corsair 280 AIO
Memory 64GB 3600mhz
Video Card(s) GTX3060
Storage 1TB SSD
Display(s) Samsung Neo
Power Supply Antec 650w
I'm not running out of either, really. VRAM is never more than 1600MB out of my card's 2048MB. RAM is almost always at around 7000MB; I've seen it at around 7300-7500 at times, but it still has the same issue at 7000, or even high 6000s.

Is your HDD heavily fragmented? This could cause the drive to be constantly searching for bits of files.

Its weird that your HDD speed drops so low near the end of the disk and then comes back up. Maybe a virus scan was running at that moment?

cooliosis

Is your HDD heavily fragmented? This could cause the drive to be constantly searching for bits of files.
I ran a defrag a few days ago, just checked it now and it says 0% fragmented (with the defragger that comes with Windows). So I'm pretty stumped as to why this is happening.

System Name MRCOMP!
Processor 5800X3D
Cooling Corsair 280 AIO
Memory 64GB 3600mhz
Video Card(s) GTX3060
Storage 1TB SSD
Display(s) Samsung Neo
Power Supply Antec 650w
Well, I would start with dropping your AA to 0x and lower the textures slightly to reduce the amount of Ram needed and see if that has any effect on it.
Check your Temps and make sure nothing it throttling, CPU and GPU.

Do you have another HDD to test with? Move GTA to a different HDD and see if that solves the issue.

Check the health of your HDD as well with HD Tune, take note of how many realocated sectors it has.

double check you are using the 350.12 driver.

Last edited:

cooliosis

Well, I would start with dropping your AA to 0x and lower the textures slightly to reduce the amount of Ram needed and see if that has any effect on it.
Check your Temps and make sure nothing it throttling, CPU and GPU.

Do you have another HDD to test with? Move GTA to a different HDD and see if that solves the issue.

Check the health of your HDD as well with HD Tune, take note of how many realocated sectors it has.

Tried updating your video card driver? 350.12 I think is the latest one.
Hm, I've had the same issue with 0xAA and lowest possible textures, unfortunately. I haven't checked for throttling yet, I'll do so in a bit, but I don't think that my hardware is hitting very high temps for that to occur. I will also check my hard drive's health with HDTune; I did about halfway before I had to stop the process, but fhere were no errors so far. And I have updated my drivers to 350.12.

System Name MRCOMP!
Processor 5800X3D
Cooling Corsair 280 AIO
Memory 64GB 3600mhz
Video Card(s) GTX3060
Storage 1TB SSD
Display(s) Samsung Neo
Power Supply Antec 650w
You don't need to scan it, Check the smart data under the "health" tab. Post a screen shot of it.

Its very hard to see but it looks like your GPU is hitting 70c and your CPU is at 80c... So I don't think its throttling. Those temps are fine.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
I think the problem is likely HDD related. The stupid thing with GTA:V is that it loads a crap load of stuff into the page file. Even though I have 24GB of RAM, when playing GTA:V I rarely see the RAM usage go over 7GB, but my page file grows to well over 10GB.

It also has to stream all the stuff for the city as you are traveling through the city. The stuttering you are seeing is, IMO, the game having to wait on something to be loaded from the hard drive. Since the hard drive is being hit with a large amount of paging as well as loading game data it just can't keep up when you are travelling at high speed.

System Name MRCOMP!
Processor 5800X3D
Cooling Corsair 280 AIO
Memory 64GB 3600mhz
Video Card(s) GTX3060
Storage 1TB SSD
Display(s) Samsung Neo
Power Supply Antec 650w
="newtekie1, Snip

I agree, After some quick googling I have found other users with the same issue

A lot of people are saying this is a driver issue and that you need to download the latest drivers or that it's a RAM issue and that 8GB isn't enough. I personally believe it's a hard drive issue, as I encountered a player in the game with a gtx 780 with and i7 4770k and had no stuttering problems while my friend who has a gtx 660 with an i7 4770k and myself who has a gtx 980 with an i7 4970k and we have stuttering issues. Now I'm no genius but I think maybe the enormous 62GB install size of GTA V might be due to the textures and sound not being compressed, thus causing a data streaming issue for a lot of rigs.

https://support.rockstargames.com/hc/communities/public/questions/203473047-GTA-V-PC-Stutter-Issue

cooliosis

You don't need to scan it, Check the smart data under the "health" tab. Post a screen shot of it.

Its very hard to see but it looks like your GPU is hitting 70c and your CPU is at 80c... So I don't think its throttling. Those temps are fine.
Here's a picture of the health tab: http://imgur.com/Oz1KPTL
I'm assuming that's the "smart data" you're talking about, unless I'm blind and there's another section somewhere for that.

System Name Old but gold
Processor 3770k @ 4.5Ghz
Motherboard Asus Maximus Gene V
Cooling Hyper 212 Evo
Memory 16Gb 1600 DDR3@2400 Cl11
Video Card(s) GTX 1080 FE
Storage SanDisk Extreme 120Gb SSD (os) , SanDisk 480Gb (Games), WD Caviar Black 4 TB (Games and storage)
Display(s) 32" Samsung HDTV 1080P
Case Some old Dell
Audio Device(s) Onboard HDMI
Power Supply EVGA G2 550w
Software Windows 10 Pro 1903
Have you looked up the A(dvanced) P(ower) M(anagement) settings for the drive? I have to disable mine both in Windows and in Crystal Disk utility else it just keeps parking it's head and stutters when loading something new in games. Perhaps something to check out?

EDIT - Just checked your video....jeez thats bad and what's going on with your textures? It runs smoother on my lowly machine with a dual core. I'm sure we can sort this, your machine should be able to handle this game with the right settings.

cooliosis

Have you looked up the A(dvanced) P(ower) M(anagement) settings for the drive? I have to disable mine both in Windows and in Crystal Disk utility else it just keeps parking it's head and stutters when loading something new in games. Perhaps something to check out?

EDIT - Just checked your video....jeez thats bad and what's going on with your textures? It runs smoother on my lowly machine with a dual core. I'm sure we can sort this, your machine should be able to handle this game with the right settings.
My Google skills are awful, do you mind giving me instructions on how to disable Advanced Power Management? That, and I fear of screwing something up. Is this a reliable program to use? http://disablehddapm.blogspot.com/2011/12/disabling-hard-disk-drive-advanced.html
Also, here's another video of what it looks like. You can kinda see the MSI Afterburner overlay more clearly here. Texture problems don't occur, either, but the freezing is still there.

System Name Lava Kitty
Processor intel i7 4930k http://valid.x86.fr/lht7hh
Motherboard Asus x79 deluxe
Cooling H20 Parallel EK D5. Radiator: 480 Monsta 80mm pushpull
Memory Gskill-trident-X 2666mhz 16gb 4x4gb
Video Card(s) MSI GTX Titan X
Storage Samsung 850 pro 512GB. 3GB seagate storage. 1GB storage drive. 4# 300-500 GB storage drives
Display(s) Asus PA279Q, and Asus VG278HR
Case Lian Li PC-343B-XT
Audio Device(s) Asus Essence STX. and. Creative Soundblaster ZxR
Power Supply corsair 1200i
Mouse Corsair M65 RGB
Keyboard Razer black widdow 2013
Software windows 8.1 and soon windows 10
Benchmark Scores ask if u want to see http://valid.x86.fr/lht7hh
Specs:
EVGA GTX 660 Ti Superclocked 2GB
i7-3770 @ 3.4GHz
8GB RAM, running dual channel @ 1600MHz according to CPU-Z
7200RPM hard drive (specifics unknown because I don't know how to check and this is a prebuilt computer)
750w PSU (specifics also unknown)
I've had this problem with a few other recent games, and I think all of them are open-world games (Watch Dogs, Far Cry 4 are two others). I don't think I remember this happening in linear games. For example, if I'm moving at a high speed in GTA 5, my game stutters/freezes to a point where it's unplayable. The stuttering isn't as noticeable on foot, but it eventually happens.
This is graph of my resource monitor when I'm playing: http://i.imgur.com/OhVK7Ho.jpg
This is a graph from HDTune (not playing; seems pretty bad): http://imgur.com/QDsyhkr
And here's a video I recorded while playing (sorry if it's a little difficult to see the Afterburner overlay):
The performance is pretty much the same with or without recording.
The freezes/stutters are always there, but the slow texture loading is there sometimes, other times it isn't. The first percentage for GPU on the overlay is power usage, the second is temperature, the third is GPU usage, and the fourth is fan speed. Below that is VRAM usage, and you can also see my CPU temps/usage as well as RAM usage and pagefile usage. I let my power usage for my GPU go above 100% because it seemed like it alleviated the problem somewhat by doing so; I'm pretty sure my PSU has enough power to support that.
I don't have any other programs open when I'm playing GTA except for MSI Afterburner, Steam, and my DS3 to Xinput program (not MotionJoy, it's from Scarlet Crush Productions).
Things that I notice when the stutters happen is that the GPU usage, power usage, and CPU usage completely drop to 0%; not sure if that's directly causing it or not. But I'm thinking that it might be a problem with either my RAM or my hard drive; I'm leaning towards hard drive, but shouldn't it only be loading textures slowly if that were the problem, not a ton of stuttering? As far as I know, hard drive should only affect loading times and such, right?
I've tried increasing my page file, I've tried lowering the priority of the launcher and increasing the game's priority, I've tried completely uninstalling my display drivers and reinstalling them using Display Driver Uninstaller, and I'm really not sure what else to do. Thanks for any help, and I'll provide more info if needed.

More about : gta freezes stuttering caused hard drive ram

• Options
I had this too and then I put the game on my ssd and all is fine now

System Name Old but gold
Processor 3770k @ 4.5Ghz
Motherboard Asus Maximus Gene V
Cooling Hyper 212 Evo
Memory 16Gb 1600 DDR3@2400 Cl11
Video Card(s) GTX 1080 FE
Storage SanDisk Extreme 120Gb SSD (os) , SanDisk 480Gb (Games), WD Caviar Black 4 TB (Games and storage)
Display(s) 32" Samsung HDTV 1080P
Case Some old Dell
Audio Device(s) Onboard HDMI
Power Supply EVGA G2 550w
Software Windows 10 Pro 1903
http://crystalmark.info/software/CrystalDiskInfo/manual-en/AamApm.html - Gives you info

http://crystalmark.info/download/index-e.html - Here's where you download...I use 6.3.2 Standard edition, portable w/o ads version

Once you have opened it, go to - Function,
Advanced Feature
AAM/APM Control
Then make sure the right drive is chosen correctly at the top, and in the APM section I just click disable. Not sure if it sticks with reboots as I just have mine constantly on.

Hope that helps :)

EDIT - sad to say but your next video doesn't look like APM issues. Newtekie may have got it right, it could be a ram config issue. Although I have only 8GB and run it from an HDD with out an issue.

Toothless

Tech, Games, and TPU!
Supporter
System Name Veral
Processor 5950x
Motherboard MSI MEG x570 Ace
Cooling Corsair H150i RGB Elite
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill TridentZ
Video Card(s) Powercolor 7900XTX Red Devil
Storage Crucial P5 Plus 1TB, Samsung 980 1TB, Teamgroup MP34 4TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro XZ342CK Pbmiiphx + 2x AOC 2425W
Case Fractal Design Meshify Lite 2
Audio Device(s) Blue Yeti + SteelSeries Arctis 5 / Samsung HW-T550
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Corsair Nightsword
Keyboard Corsair K55
VR HMD HP Reverb G2
Software Windows 11 Professional
Benchmark Scores PEBCAK
Slow HDD is slow. I'd use a SSD but $100 more to run a game is dumb. Maybe a SSHD?

cooliosis

Yeah, I can't even disable APM on my hard drive, the APM section is grayed out for me and I can't click disable or enable, unless I'm missing something. I don't assume AAM is the same thing...
Slow HDD is slow. I'd use a SSD but $100 more to run a game is dumb. Maybe a SSHD?
Well, I have had this problem with a few other games, and I'd be willing to pay that much for it to go away. But I do want to make sure that any purchase that I make will fix it. If it is a hard drive issue, could you safely say that an SSHD would solve the issue? If not, then I'd be willing to shell out the extra cash for an SSD.

Toothless

Tech, Games, and TPU!
Supporter
System Name Veral
Processor 5950x
Mouse Corsair Nightsword
Keyboard Corsair K55
VR HMD HP Reverb G2
Benchmark Scores PEBCAK
I'd do some research before spending the money on it. A buddy of mine runs a SSHD and he loads pretty quickly in games.

System Name Custom build - I built it for gaming and some content creation
Processor Intel i7 12700K on air
Motherboard MSI MAG Z690 Tomahawk WiFi DDR4
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Memory 64GB G.Skill 3600 DDR4 [16GB x 4]
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3070 Ti SUPRIM X, power limit 75% & Mem +300
Storage SSD: Sabrent Rocket 2TB, Samsung 970 EVO 1TB, SSD Samsung 860 EVO 1T
Display(s) 55" Samsung Q80T 120Hz at 4K [on my desk]
Case Cooler Master 922 HAF [3rd 200mm fan in door], 10 years old & fans still run
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic Focus Platinum PX-850
Mouse Corsair M55 RGB Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 21H2
Benchmark Scores [GPU Score] Time Spy: 13 925 [Power Limit 75%, MEM +300, GPU Max Power 232w, Max Hot Spot 62.4C
Isn't the OCZ vertex 3 an SSD?

I looked at your System Specs and according to that you have an 60GB OCZ vertex 3, 1TB x2 in RAID 0, and 640GB x2 in RAID 0. A very unusual setup for a gaming rig. Are your listed System Specs correct?

http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/members/slyfox2151.64773/

cooliosis

Isn't the OCZ vertex 3 an SSD?

I looked at your System Specs and according to that you have an 60GB OCZ vertex 3, 1TB x2 in RAID 0, and 640GB x2 in RAID 0. A very unusual setup for a gaming rig. Are your listed System Specs correct?

http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/members/slyfox2151.64773/
That's not my specs, that's slyfox's :D
My specs are in the original post. But I'm going to buy an SSD, everyone in this thread says that it looks like a hard drive issue, so I guess I'll do that. Ran a RAM test with Windows Memory Diagnostics, not sure if it's reliable or not, but it came up with no errors. I'm guessing that the Samsung 850 EVO is a good choice?

Toothless

Tech, Games, and TPU!
Supporter
System Name Veral
Processor 5950x
Mouse Corsair Nightsword
Keyboard Corsair K55
VR HMD HP Reverb G2
Benchmark Scores PEBCAK
Run a ram test with an actual test, not with Windows.

Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Case Cooler Master 922 HAF [3rd 200mm fan in door], 10 years old & fans still run
Benchmark Scores [GPU Score] Time Spy: 13 925 [Power Limit 75%, MEM +300, GPU Max Power 232w, Max Hot Spot 62.4C
If you are asking my personal opinion I like Intel SSD's because of their reliability. I use the Intel 335 Series because they are fast and very reliable. I also buy boxed versions. For me, HHD bare drives or OEM are fine, but for SSD I prefer them in a box, along with the drive you get the bracket, screws, and cables. Also, the box helps keep it from shipping damage. Intel's 530 series is also good, and a new model, the 535 series is now out and at a reasonable price.

If you do not need the adapter, bracket, screws and cables, then an OEM should be fine. Newegg does not always have the best price or choice, although they do sometimes have them on sale. Intel drives here [copy and paste the entire link]:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100008120 50001157 4814 600038463&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&Order=PRICE&PageSize=30

Use the Intel SSD Toolbox, it is a great utility to keep your Intel SSD cleaned up, use it at least once a week, I use mine more often. You probably know this, but never defrag an SSD, for one thing it shortens it's life and because it contains no disks [as an HHD] the data does not need to be moved from place to place as is done with defrag. You can download it here:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/18455/Intel-Solid-State-Drive-Toolbox

Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Run a ram test with an actual test, not with Windows.

Cooliosis:

I think Toothless means something like the old tried and true memtest86 [download the free version]:
http://www.memtest86.com/download.htm

You can use a bootable USB drive, if your computer supports that, or do like me and make a bootable CD by using the ISO format.

System Name MRCOMP!
Processor 5800X3D
Cooling Corsair 280 AIO
Memory 64GB 3600mhz
Video Card(s) GTX3060
Storage 1TB SSD
Display(s) Samsung Neo
Power Supply Antec 650w
I wouldn't bother with a memtest. This seems like a clear cut case of the hard drive being too slow for the game.

System Name Lava Kitty
Processor intel i7 4930k http://valid.x86.fr/lht7hh
Motherboard Asus x79 deluxe
Cooling H20 Parallel EK D5. Radiator: 480 Monsta 80mm pushpull
Memory Gskill-trident-X 2666mhz 16gb 4x4gb
Video Card(s) MSI GTX Titan X
Storage Samsung 850 pro 512GB. 3GB seagate storage. 1GB storage drive. 4# 300-500 GB storage drives
Display(s) Asus PA279Q, and Asus VG278HR
Case Lian Li PC-343B-XT
Audio Device(s) Asus Essence STX. and. Creative Soundblaster ZxR
Power Supply corsair 1200i
Mouse Corsair M65 RGB
Keyboard Razer black widdow 2013
Software windows 8.1 and soon windows 10
Benchmark Scores ask if u want to see http://valid.x86.fr/lht7hh
That's not my specs, that's slyfox's :D
My specs are in the original post. But I'm going to buy an SSD, everyone in this thread says that it looks like a hard drive issue, so I guess I'll do that. Ran a RAM test with Windows Memory Diagnostics, not sure if it's reliable or not, but it came up with no errors. I'm guessing that the Samsung 850 EVO is a good choice?
Evo I wouldn't recommend. due to the issues it got. I use the 850 pro 512 gb without issues. the 850 pro is higher reliability Than Intel at same pricerange