• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How to permanently enable the blur-busting strobing backlight on a supporting monitor

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
A strobing backlight is awesome for removing all motion blur from LCD displays, which is fabulous for gaming, so this is well worth doing if you have a strobing backlight monitor.

Main advantage is that it doesn't require the NVIDIA USB IR emitter to be plugged in all the time or the ToastyX driver hack which prevents 3D Vision use while it's installed. Note that ToastyX works for AMD cards too, so you guys aren't left out in the cold.

The rest of this howto is for NVIDIA users only.

Requirements: Suitably recent NVIDIA graphics card and a strobing backlight monitor. Note that a certified 3D Vision 2 LightBoost monitor is not required. For example, Benq non-certified monitors will work with this. Windows 7 or 8/8.1, 32/64-bit.

Now, you could just look this up at Blur Busters, where I got this info from, but there's a lot of different methods described there and a lot of detail which can be hard to plough through, so this is the quick tl;dr version I wrote for those of us who stay up way past our bed time and hence have short attention spans...

NVIDIA control panel 3D section.png
Click for high resolution screenshot

- If running Windows 8/8.1, disable the driver enforcement check at the bootup screen (F8)

- Install the attached LightBoost-Monitor-EDID-override.inf. You'll get a dire-looking unsigned driver warning. Just install it. This hacked driver fools the NVIDIA driver into thinking that the emitter is plugged in

- Reboot PC

- Enable 3D Vision – tick “Enable stereoscopic 3D” in “Set up stereoscopic 3D” in the left pane

- Select Asus monitor in NVIDIA stereo options

- Select Always for “Select when the display is in 3D mode”

- Click Apply

- Install the attached .reg file

- Switch to a video mode running at 100Hz or 120Hz. You must change video mode for this to take effect, even if you're already running at one of the above refreshes.

Strobed backlight should now be running on the desktop (wiggle your finger in front of it to check) and continue when running a game in full screen mode - all nicely blur-free. Note how nicely windows drag across the screen on the desktop too and the mouse pointer also remains nice and clear.

Finally, a plug for www.blurbusters.com, the best website on the internet for all this kind of stuff.

Let me know how you get on.

Attachments

• LightBoostHack.zip
    1.7 KB · Views: 179