• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Microsoft Reveals Windows 10 Variants

D

Deleted member 67555

Every tried Kodi/XBMC? Haven't looked back to Media Center since I started using XBMC.

From what I've read, Kodi paired with NextPVR can record pretty much anything as long as you have a CableCard(which your cable company is required by the FCC to provide if you request it). If you are outside of the US, most places use DVB, which is also supported by NextPVR/Kodi.

I've never actually tried it since I cut my cable TV years ago and just download everything I want to watch.
I started to read up on it right after I posted that...
If it does work I'll definitely make a decent thread on it...
I use the HDhomerun Prime (with a Cisco cable card) alongside a Cisco STA 1520 DTA...should work...but I'm thinking the only way you can record premium channels on NextPVR is within Windows...using WDDM..LOL
I'll give it a hot tomorrow

On Topic...I have 1 PC that will likely make the Win10 transition from Windows 8.1 pro...that I bought MCE for......bastards

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
but I'm thinking the only way you can record premium channels on NextPVR is within Windows...using WDDM..LOL
I don't see how that would be a problem since Kodi runs in Windows.

There is no subscription on Windows and there never will be. Windows as a service does not equal Windows as a subscription. For those comparing Office 365 to this: I have yet to see Office being sold as Office as a service. Windows 10 Mobile is going to be for those smaller devices and probably Windows Phone as well. The only 2 most will see is Windows 10 Home and Windows 10 Pro.

Logic should be the order of the day for IT Pro's but emotions seem to dictate things far to often.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
There is no subscription on Windows and there never will be. Windows as a service does not equal Windows as a subscription. For those comparing Office 365 to this: I have yet to see Office being sold as Office as a service. Windows 10 Mobile is going to be for those smaller devices and probably Windows Phone as well. The only 2 most will see is Windows 10 Home and Windows 10 Pro.

Logic should be the order of the day for IT Pro's but emotions seem to dictate things far to often.

Then why would they even mention that people who upgrade in the first year will be free forever? If no subscription for regular W10 purchasers, then there is no reason at all to say this.

Then why would they even mention that people who upgrade in the first year will be free forever? If no subscription for regular W10 purchasers, then there is no reason at all to say this.

Free forever on the machines they upgraded on, not forever as in all of eternity. It is to make it clear that this is not a subscription based Windows at all.

Edit: Although, I am strictly speaking of OEM machines in that case. On a computer such as yours or mine, the license we upgraded with would be transferable to whatever machine we upgraded to hardware wise. Of course this means that it is still a one use, one computer installation.

After the first year, a new build will need a Windows license that you will have to purchase. (That is if you do not use the one you already have.) That is the way it has always been as far as I can remember.

Last edited:

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Dell 27 inch 1440p 144 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10

"Windows 10 Home and Windows 10 Pro, will be offered as free-forever upgrades to users of equivalent variants of Windows 7 and Windows 8/8.1, if they upgrade within the first year of Windows 10 launch. Those using pirated Windows 7 may find the upgrade "free," but Microsoft has a slew of anti-piracy measures in store, which kick in after the upgrade."

I took it that btarunr said "free-forever" because there was some confusion in the last article about Win 10 where some members thought he was saying it would be free for the first year and then they would have to buy it. If there is a subscription fee then I think it will apply to all, even the first year upgraders.

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
There is no subscription on Windows and there never will be. Windows as a service does not equal Windows as a subscription. For those comparing Office 365 to this: I have yet to see Office being sold as Office as a service.
Yet Office 365 has an annual fee or it can't be used.
Just because they don't label it as a service, doesn't mean it isn't sold as one.

Yet Office 365 has an annual fee or it can't be used.
Just because they don't label it as a service, doesn't mean it isn't sold as one.

If it is not labeled as a service, it is not sold as one. Folks were trying to factor that in to the Windows as a service being a subscription service but there is nothing logical about that.

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
I took it that btarunr said "free-forever" because there was some confusion in the last article about Win 10 where some members thought he was saying it would be free for the first year and then they would have to buy it. If there is a subscription fee then I think it will apply to all, even the first year upgraders.
The official Microsoft information release does not mention free for life, it clearly says a free upgrade for the first year and that it is a subscription service.
If you choose not to pay you can continue using W10, but no further updates will be available.

Reactions: 64K

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
If it is not labeled as a service, it is not sold as one. Folks were trying to factor that in to the Windows as a service being a subscription service but there is nothing logical about that.
I can call a turkey a duck, it doesn't mean it isn't a turkey.

The official Microsoft information release does not mention free for life, it clearly says a free upgrade for the first year and that it is a subscription service.
If you choose not to pay you can continue using W10, but no further updates will be available.

Where did you find this to be the case except for your own mind? There is nothing logical about that and also, it was already reported by Microsoft that the free upgrade is free for the life of the device. (OEM stuff.) The license we purchase on our builds will easily transfer to another build.

Actually the Office 365 system/product/service is easy to use on changing pcs. I have 5-6 licences and I just deactivate a licence assigned to the old pc and install and activate on the new computer....

System Name msdos
Processor 8086
Motherboard mainboard
Cooling passive
Memory 640KB + 384KB extended
Video Card(s) EGA
Storage 5.25"
Display(s) 80x25
Case plastic
Audio Device(s) modchip
Power Supply 45 watts
Mouse serial
Keyboard yes
Software disk commander
Benchmark Scores still running
Subscription for the base OS is akin to renting your PC. Good luck with that. I'll switch Win + VBox Linux to Linux + VBox Win before that happens.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Wat??????? Ummm, a Turkey is a Turkey even if you call it a duck. Logic is all this is about. Emotionalism has no place in this topic.

But your original argument was that it wasn't called a service so it isn't a service. The definition of software as a service is exactly what Office 365/Adobe CC is. Microsoft/Adobe are calling it something else, and you're just going with it and actually defending that it isn't something that it clearly is.

You are, essentially, arguing that the turkey isn't a turkey because someone else says the turkey is a duck.

But your original argument was that it wasn't called a service so it isn't a service. The definition of software as a service is exactly what Office 365/Adobe CC is. Microsoft/Adobe are calling it something else, and you're just going with it and actually defending that it isn't something that it clearly is.

You are, essentially, arguing that the turkey isn't a turkey because someone else says the turkey is a duck.

Nope, my original point is that folks are trying to claim that Windows as a Service must mean subscription since Office 365 is subscription based. However, Office 365 is not Office as a service so it does not equate.

Processor Intel i7-5820K @ 4.5Ghz (1.284v , 25*C)
Motherboard ASRock Fatal1ty X99X Killer
Cooling NZXT Kraken X61
Memory G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 Series 32GB
Video Card(s) EVGA GeForce GTX 970 SC - Blower fan
Case Corsair Carbide Series Air 540
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar Essence STX
Power Supply Corsair TX850
Benchmark Scores Rosewill RHSP-13001: Complete system with dual lcd and peripherals @LOAD ~$35/Mo.
Windows 10 is far from production state. It's so ridiculous where they have moved essential components.

In addition, Microsoft is readying two variants of its operating system for smartphones and tablets - Windows 10 Mobile, and Windows 10 Mobile Enterprise. Windows 10 Mobile will be targeted at consumer smartphones, and will have a rich feature-set for communication, social-networking, and productivity; while Windows 10 Mobile Enterprise will be designed for devices given by companies to their employees, with access to privileged information and services.

Also about time they pulled their head out of their *** ! A desktop version of Windows ought to be for a desktop! If a user wants touch screen added to a desktop pc then it ought to be a feature a user can add from within the Windows components! A tablet version of Windows out to be for a tablet! Windows 8/8.1 is a disgrace and also a memory hog compared to Windows 7, however, the UI is perhaps the best since Windows Classic with less inappropriate eye-candy to drag the system down.

Microsoft ought to provide users with a Classic Start Menu and the new Modern Start Menu. It's friggen ridiculous how much screen realestate the program-files and other icons take up... within the Modern Start Menu.

I certainly hope the production version of Windows 10 isn't laden with ads! Any type of Advertisement is Intrusive!

Last edited:
Windows 10 is far from production state. It's so ridiculous where they have moved essential components.

Also about time they pulled their head out of their *** ! A desktop version of Windows ought to be for a desktop! If a user wants touch screen added to a desktop pc then it ought to be a feature a user can add from within the Windows components! A tablet version of Windows out to be for a tablet! Windows 8/8.1 is a disgrace and also a memory hog compared to Windows 7, however, the UI is perhaps the best since Windows Classic with less inappropriate eye-candy to drag the system down.

Microsoft ought to provide users with a Classic Start Menu and the new Modern Start Menu. It's friggen ridiculous how much screen realestate the program-files and other icons take up... within the Modern Start Menu.

I certainly hope the production version of Windows 10 isn't laden with ads! Any type of Advertisement is Intrusive!

Such emotionalism, it would almost seem like you have stock in the company or something. The mobile version is for phone and small tablets. Otherwise, Windows 10 Home and Pro are both hybrid Operating Systems that will be used on both desktops, laptops and tablets.

If windows goes to a subscription based windows, I dont see it being very popular, Windows 10 will be used or people will move to a different OS, like Linux......lol j/k Linux will never be mainstream :/
Linux needs brain to use it... she what happened to it when they wanted to make the public use it, the android abomination was created.

People must learn how to use their computers and Internet, like they take lessons on driving.

Linux needs brain to use it... she what happened to it when they wanted to make the public use it, the android abomination was created.
I am still surprised when I see Android on tablets instead of real Linux OS.

People must learn how to use their computers and Internet, like they take lessons on driving.
I totally agree, teachers should teach this kind of thing at elementary school.

D

Deleted member 67555

So after extensive searching and testing I've found that the only way any other Media Center can watch encrypted premium Channels is via a WMC plug-in...
So...Microsoft...Why can't you just continue to offer WMC in the MS store?
make it available for 10?
The one and only advantage MS had for me is with gaming and the option of a real HTPC...

So if this continues I'll be playing all my games on a PS4 and doing all of my MC stuff on a Roku and my desktop stuff on Linux..
I like the one platform idea MS has...to bad they want to exclude what a lot of people want.

MxPhenom 216

ASIC Engineer
System Name Ryzen Reflection
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aorus Master
Cooling 2x EK PE360 | TechN AM4 AMD Block Black | EK Quantum Vector Trinity GPU Nickel + Plexi
Memory Teamgroup T-Force Xtreem 2x16GB B-Die 3600 @ 14-14-14-28-42-288-2T 1.45v
Video Card(s) Zotac AMP HoloBlack RTX 3080Ti 12G | 950mV 1950Mhz
Storage WD SN850 500GB (OS) | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB (Games_1) | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB (Games_2)
Display(s) Asus XG27AQM 240Hz G-Sync Fast-IPS | Gigabyte M27Q-P 165Hz 1440P IPS | Asus 24" IPS (portrait mode)
Case Lian Li PC-011D XL | Custom cables by Cablemodz
Audio Device(s) FiiO K7 | Sennheiser HD650 + Beyerdynamic FOX Mic
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 850
Mouse Razer Viper v2 Pro
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Tournament Edition
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-Bit
Look at the date on that article: Jan 20, 2015. This information from @btarunr is new, and from MS themselves. PC Gamer got this one wrong.
Not necessarily,there is no confirmation of subscription based Windows from Microsoft. Key word in the article is "COULD." I see them going the same route as Apple OSX.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
I see them going the same route as Apple OSX.

I hope they offer that Windows Bing thing to end consumers. I'm not seeing it though, if they'll make a totally free Windows version it's probably gimped in some ways... But if they really are serious in only having one version of Windows they will have to either offer it freely or make it subscription based. And even if it's free people wouldn't upgrade, for various - real or imagined - reasons. So subscription it is.

Or they gimp a home version, and have a Pro version which costs money. That I would almost be ok with. Enterprise/Pro/Corporate/Server/etc editions totally should cost money.

In any case, the coming years shall be interesting indeed. And again, Windows 7 is supported until 2019, 8.1 until 2023 so we have some time to make up our minds.

AsRock

TPU addict
Processor AMD 3900X \ AMD 7700X
Motherboard ASRock AM4 X570 Pro 4 \ ASUS X670Xe TUF
Cooling D15
Memory Patriot 2x16GB PVS432G320C6K \ G.Skill Flare X5 F5-6000J3238F 2x16GB
Video Card(s) eVga GTX1060 SSC \ XFX RX 6950XT RX-695XATBD9
Storage Sammy 860, MX500, Sabrent Rocket 4 Sammy Evo 980 \ 1xSabrent Rocket 4+, Sammy 2x990 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 1080P \ LG 43UN700
Case Fractal Design Pop Air 2x140mm fans from Torrent \ Fractal Design Torrent 2 SilverStone FHP141x2
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V677 \ Yamaha CX-830+Yamaha MX-630 Infinity RS4000\Paradigm P Studio 20, Blue Yeti
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-750 \ Corsair RM1000X Shift
Mouse Steelseries Sensei wireless \ Steelseries Sensei wireless
Keyboard Logitech K120 \ Wooting Two HE
Benchmark Scores Meh benchmarks.
I hope they offer that Windows Bing thing to end consumers. I'm not seeing it though, if they'll make a totally free Windows version it's probably gimped in some ways... But if they really are serious in only having one version of Windows they will have to either offer it freely or make it subscription based. And even if it's free people wouldn't upgrade, for various - real or imagined - reasons. So subscription it is.

Or they gimp a home version, and have a Pro version which costs money. That I would almost be ok with. Enterprise/Pro/Corporate/Server/etc editions totally should cost money.

In any case, the coming years shall be interesting indeed. And again, Windows 7 is supported until 2019, 8.1 until 2023 so we have some time to make up our minds.

Really, in fact DX12 gaming wont be here all that soon so most of us be able to do without anyways and for AMD users there is always Mantle :p.

I like to believe that what MS is trying to say is that after a year you will have to buy the OS like you would of before.

But this kinda gossip i bet they like to hear to see if it would be a good or bad idea as lets face it they could clear this up in no time if they really wanted too.

Funny how people have trust issue's with Microsoft but use Google every day.

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Dell 27 inch 1440p 144 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
MS is pulling out all of the stops to get us all on Win 10. They will be installing Candy Crush with Win 10. :p

Waiting to hear what MS thinks is a fair price for the sub but if it's no more than $25 a year then I'm ok with it if the OS costs nothing to buy. I spend that buying every other version of MS anyway. They are saying that they will continue making additions to the OS so there's some value in that. I think the people that are going to feel screwed over are the ones that will have to buy the OS and pay the sub too. Most PCs come from the manufacturer with the OS already accounted for in the price of the PC so the majority would have no choice but to pay for it and the sub when buying a new computer if MS does charge for the OS after the first year.