• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NFS Underground 3 anyone ?

Processor Ryzen 5700x
Motherboard MSI B350 Gaming Pro Carbon
Cooling be quiet dark rock pro 3
Memory GSKill Aegis 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon RX 7800 XT Hellhound 16GB GDDR6 256-bit
Storage Seagate Barracuda SATA-II 1TB , HyperX Savage 240GB SATA 3
Display(s) Benq EX2780Q
Case Be Quiet! Dark Base Pro 900
Audio Device(s) Sound BlasterX G6
Power Supply Seasonic prime TX-650
Mouse Marvo Scorpion G981
Keyboard Razer Blackwidow Elite - Yellow Switch
Software Windows 10 Pro

Gear shifting intensifies!

I've played ProStreet and never finished it, same reason why I've bought Shift 1 and 2 just because they were cheap but never really got around to play them. I just hate real world circuit raceways. They just spark zero adrenaline in me. I want sterile racetracks replaced with proper unpredictable outdoor with traffic and cops. Now that makes my adrenaline and blood pressure going. Firstly, grinding 10 laps of the same flat race track is boring and secondly, it's not even challenging or fun. Getting good times in unpredictable conditions, now that is challenging and worthy of bragging. I guess growing up with TNFS, NFS2, NFS3, Carmageddon 2, Re-Volt, Crashday and similar paved my racing preference...

Does Reboot = more lens flare and motion blur effects ?

J.J. Abrams style

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
My idea.

Take GTA 5 map, improve the mod garages, add more real cars, make it a open world player driven enviroment, meet people and win races to get invited to more and faster races. Add openCL physics on the GPU and tweak the driving so its realistic. Make it online as well as a story mode, story mode components move your online player ahead with custom parts, races won, and sponsorship deals, build a race team online and compete in races with money made in game or the pinkslip to your ride.

Reactions: xvi
When will people realize open world isn't really all that great as most think...

NFS2, NFS3, NFS4, NFS5, Screamer 2, Split/Second:Velocity, even NFS Hot Pursuit 2010 to a degree. Unique tracks with different themes, unique corners, elevations, inetresting buildings, memorable things along the road that are interesting to extent you want to just stop and look at it. It has to be amazing, interesting, almost artistically nice. It's what makes tracks enjoyable.

But NFS Hot Pursuit 2 is what it shouldn't be done. While it had nice segments here and there, for the most part tracks were generic looking with no memorable jaw dropping parts, what's worse, they've reused majority of track segments to build other maps. So you realyl had like 5 worlds, but 50 variations made out of those.

And the open worlds, problem with it is that you have to invest TONS and TONS of work into gameplay that utilizes it, makes sense, is interesting and also comforms to the above closed circuits design decisions. What they've used so far was only to make police chases after the actual race which is in the end done in closed circuits cut out of the open world, making open world redundant. And since world is so big no one even bothers implementing track times into the game. Time tracking and ghost cars, something absolutely crucial for a competitive racing games.

I don't care if world is open to explore, it gets fucking boring after 2 hours. I got bored of NFS3 after like 5 years of playing all the variations of maps, adding extra cars, even editing tracks myself, then doing allt he same in split screen mode with relatives and friends. Only game that I've invested as much time into was NFS Hot Pursuit 2010, because it had memorable tracks and time tracking through AutoLog and that was an awesome stuff to play for years literally.

That's why I'd frankly rather see return of highly thematic high quality circuit tracks than generic open worlds just because they had to make it big...

Processor 5900x
Motherboard MSI MEG UNIFY
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer 2 360mm
Memory 4x8GB 3600c16 Ballistix
Video Card(s) EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra
Storage 1TB SX8200 Pro, 2TB SanDisk Ultra 3D, 6TB WD Red Pro
Display(s) Acer XV272U
Case Fractal Design Meshify 2
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard Ducky One 2
I have to say I enjoyed most wanted 2012's open world with the expansions.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
I enjoy the city races in most games, and the mountains with curves and unknown altitude changes. I hate driving in the farmland on a gently curving road only to get blindsided by a fucking semi pulling out of a T intersection. Test Drive Unlimited was pretty cool except being broken.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
Take GTA 5 map, improve the mod garages, add more real cars, make it a open world player driven enviroment, meet people and win races to get invited to more and faster races. Add openCL physics on the GPU and tweak the driving so its realistic. Make it online as well as a story mode, story mode components move your online player ahead with custom parts, races won, and sponsorship deals, build a race team online and compete in races with money made in game or the pinkslip to your ride.
That's pretty much The Crew. Except that The Crew is very arcadey.

Last edited:
Why people think racing game being arcade-ish is bad? NFS Hot Pursuit 2010 is very much arcade, so is Screamer 2 and so is Split/Second. Guess what they all have in common? They are fun as hell! Something I can't really say for 3/4 of "serious" racers that brag about epic simualated physics.

System Name Space Station
Processor Intel 13700K
Motherboard ASRock Z790 PG Riptide
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420
Memory Corsair Vengeance 6400 2x16GB @ CL34
Video Card(s) PNY RTX 4080
Storage SSDs - Nextorage 4TB, Samsung EVO 970 500GB, Plextor M5Pro 128GB, HDDs - WD Black 6TB, 2x 1TB
Display(s) LG C3 OLED 42"
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V371
Power Supply SeaSonic Vertex 1200w Gold
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
Software Windows 11 Pro 23H2
^I should go back and play Split/Second now that I have a GPU that can handle it well. On my GTS250 I had to replay a lot of the races with big effects due to the extreme lag making it hard to time turns. I suppose the weirdest thing about that game is the drifting gives you a significant speed boost, but I agree, it is fun.

Why people think racing game being arcade-ish is bad? NFS Hot Pursuit 2010 is very much arcade, so is Screamer 2 and so is Split/Second. Guess what they all have in common? They are fun as hell! Something I can't really say for 3/4 of "serious" racers that brag about epic simualated physics.

I don't like games that IMO take the arcade style too far, but at the same time I don't like games that take the simulation too far. I like games that have a balance of simulator, and arcade.
Most NFS games after around 2007 take the arcade side too far IMO.

I don't remember the name, but I played a racing simulator once that supposedly had extremely realistic physics.
All I remember about the car in game is it was a late C4 Corvette (92-96) the car in game could not even compare to a real one.
They took everything too far towards simulator, and it made the game boring.

PS
Then again I would rather just spend that $60ish on 91+ and drive my real car.

^I should go back and play Split/Second now that I have a GPU that can handle it well. On my GTS250 I had to replay a lot of the races with big effects due to the extreme lag making it hard to time turns. I suppose the weirdest thing about that game is the drifting gives you a significant speed boost, but I agree, it is fun.

Yeah, Split/Second encouraged drifting, because it charged your environment destruction meter. And yeah, it was actually beneficial to make a good drift. It had a similar mechanic to Screamer 2 and NFS Hot Pursuit 2010. It didn't reward perfect line, it rewarded perfect drift through the corner. You could still mess it up so that it slowed you down, but that was the charm of it, to find that swet spot of fine line and drift. Too much and you ended up inside the corner, to little and you ended up in the outside wall. But getting it just right required lots and lots of training and having good feel for maintaining the drift. This especially applies for NFS HP 2010 where each car had different characteristics and it also drifted differently. Some went into a drift just by applying steering and throttle, others needed a bit of a help using handbrake, others did that with normal brake already etc. People think only simulators require long training, but NFS HP 2010 is a proof that even something this unrealistic can be ultra fun and requires huge amount of training and good feel for the driving.

You should definitely finish Split/Second, for me this is one of the best racing games I've played outside the Need for Speed franchise world. There were other highly praised games like Flatout that just didn't work for me at all. I've tried Flatout just to realize the game that supposedly encourages crashing carnage actually punishes you for it so much there is no point in doing it, because every single fucking time I've collided with opponent, I got slowed down or pushed out of the track like I'm hitting a big as truck using some tiny little car. Which is kinda counter productive and ruined the whole game for me. I guess developers haven't learned anything from superb Carmageddon 2 where crashing was in fact beneficial, encouraged and recommended. And Split/Second ha just that. It encourages you to go fast, drift well, charge the destruction meter and then use it wisely to dominate your opponents. I had so much fun with it it's crazy.

Here is my old recording showcasing few major destruction like that massive falling tower and even a massive airliner crashes that wipes everything on the landing strip. And all tracks had minor explosions and such massive changes that actually re-routed the entire track and changed the course of racing. Either in your favor or sometimes not. But it was a really unique mechanic that I've never seen before and they've done it really well, because it affected the gameplay, and it just looked cool.

Processor Intel 13700K
Storage SSDs - Nextorage 4TB, Samsung EVO 970 500GB, Plextor M5Pro 128GB, HDDs - WD Black 6TB, 2x 1TB
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
Oh I definitely finished Split/Second, in fact I must have played through it at least 3 times. Nailing drifts wasn't that crucial though. It was always more about deciding how to spend your points. You could easily get enough drift points just on slight bends, but make one wrong decision and you pay for it.

I really liked how explosions could send huge shock waves and affect your steering, and some of the obstacles took good timing. I thought the solo time trial events were harder than races, esp if you wanted to get the top rank time. Those heli and diesel survival events used to give me fits, until I figured out how to play them.

Here's a few S/S vids that show how much lag I was getting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Processor Intel 13700K
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
Here's a race I made harder in Burnout Paradise by taking a long route through the quarry. That game was fun, but too easy. I was wanting Elite level events, but you get your Elite license and the game is over. :rolleyes: I loved the way you could create your own route though.

Lot of rail smacking, but you have to hold the gas down to chain boost.

Burning Route with stunts.

Endurance race.

Processor Ryzen 3600
Motherboard B450
Cooling Scythe Ashura
Memory Team Dark Z 3200 8GB x2
Video Card(s) MSI 390
Storage WD 2TB + WD Green 640GB
Display(s) Samsung 40JU6600 @ 200% scaling
Case Coolermaster CM 690 II
Audio Device(s) Fiio E10K, Graham Slee Solo II SRG, Sennheiser HD6XX, AKG K7XX, ATH WS1100is
Power Supply Corsair HX650
Mouse Rival 700
Keyboard Corsair K70, Razer Tarantula
I don't like games that IMO take the arcade style too far, but at the same time I don't like games that take the simulation too far. I like games that have a balance of simulator, and arcade.
Most NFS games after around 2007 take the arcade side too far IMO.
I like semi-sim too. Finishing the race feels like it's own achievement, it's made me drive properly (not using your enemy as corner-bumper), and I don't really care about finish first.

But I have to admit the most fun racing game I have ever played is arcade-y NFS Hot Pursuit 2010. Once me and my friends is trying to outdo each other timing in various stages for 8 hours straight! They're not fans of racing games and we're never have obsession with timing either. Beside that, the scenery and sound are beautiful. That stage with Carrera GT in the night rain and McLaren F1 in snowy mountain are so soothing and fantastic.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
I prefer arcade myself. Just saying that if that is the kind of game you want, it is available.

Yeah, and those explosion shockwaves in Split/Second also heavily depended on car that you had. You could either pick super ultra fast light race cars that were fragile and easily affected by explosions or you could pick slow, heavy and armored cars that were well, slower, but weren't affected by explosions unless you got directly hit by the exploding objects. Which further brought in the balance to the game, depending on your play style.