• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Witcher 3 + HairWorks tanks AMD performance - AMD complains it's NVIDIA again

Do you think NVIDIA's HairWorks deliberately sabotages AMD's performance?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Here we go again. I don't know whom to believe, but I suspect it's AMD's fault for not working with the game developer to optimize HairWorks on their cards. NVIDA makes the source code available to those with a licence, so there's nothing stopping AMD from buying a licence and optimizing it with the gamer developer.

Wasn't it AMD's drivers which haven't had a WHQL release for 160+ days now? What does that say about the company?

Check out the non-HairWorks performance of both cards - NVIDIA is slightly faster here too.

"We've been working with CD Projeckt Red from the beginning. We've been giving them detailed feedback all the way through," AMD's chief gaming scientist Richard Huddy told Ars Technica. "Around two months before release, or thereabouts, the GameWorks code arrived with HairWorks, and it completely sabotaged our performance as far as we're concerned. We were running well before that... it's wrecked our performance, almost as if it was put in to achieve that goal."

www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-does-nvidia-hairworks-really-sabotage-amd-performance

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
I read the title and thought 'Qubit'. No offence but these threads and votes simply create hostility.
Why give a torch to flamers?

System Name Dell Vostro 5630 | PHaS3-XXI
Processor Intel Core i7 1360P | AMD Ryzen 7 5700X PBO
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix B450-F Gaming
Cooling Corsair H105 (AM4 Retention yay!)
Memory 16GB Quad Channel LPDDR5 4800 | Crucial 64GB DDR4 Pro 3200 C16
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX 2050 | Gigabyte Radeon RX 5700 Stock Cooler @ XT BIOS
Storage Kioxia 512GB NVMe |Crucial MX200 SSD + Samsung 980 1TB + 870QVO 1TB + 12TB HDDs
Display(s) Dell Laptop Display 1920x1200 | Dell UltraSharp U2719D
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply Corsair RM750
Mouse Logitech G403 | Logitech G Pro
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys
Software Windows 11 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores @_@
there's nothing stopping AMD from buying a licence and optimizing it with the gamer developer.
This.
AMD has historically had issues with tessellation, and even the 290X/290 don't have the amount of tessellation hardware that Kepler / Maxwell have. Again they have suggested a "fix" by lowering the tessellation factor in their drivers - which is only an option because the Radeons are a bit lacking in tessellation performance in the first place. Takes me back to 2010 / 2011.

Its a shame they cry foul every time something like this happens, and as you say, 160+ days of no new drivers... That's not just a fail for new games that have beta drivers, but a fail for overall optimization. Back in the 5xxx / 6xxx days it wasn't uncommon to see driver after driver with "xx% increase in game X for 5800 / 6900 series".

I don't lean either way when it comes to performance of a specific manufacturer over another, but driver updates are a very important aspect of after sales support in GPU land. If they are going to continue in this vein, I don't see myself getting a 390X over my 970.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
NVIDIA did it with PhysX. AMD did it with TressFX. NVIDIA is doing it with HairWorks. In my opinion, developers should never touch proprietary, hardware-based middleware. As such, it's CD Projekt RED that did the sabotaging, not AMD nor NVIDIA. If they're not going to bother implementing TressFX too, they should have never wasted time on HairWorks. The fact both the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 ports would have benefitted from TressFX further increaseses the shame on CD Projekt RED. To save face, I think they should pull the plug on HairWorks or rush a patch out for TressFX. They should have given NVIDIA the finger in the first place but that ship has already sailed.

Here's a link directly from AMD about it: https://community.amd.com/community/gaming/blog/2015/05/12/tressfx-hair-cross-platform-and-v20

As to the accusation of sabotage directly, I can't confirm nor deny. All we have are the facts as presented by AMD that, if they are to be believed, show NVIDIA did not optimize HairWorks for AMD cards. That said, NVIDIA has an established history of not giving any !@$%^ about AMD compatibility with GPU-accelerated PhysX. These numbers do not surprise. All of the developers that used hardware accelerated PhsyX in their games are to be blamed for pushing that on AMD gamers. The same applies here with HairWorks. How many times do developers have to get burned before they learn to stay the *%#! away from NVIDIA middleware?

Last edited:
System Name Boomer Master Race
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7735HS APU
Motherboard BareBones Mini PC MB
Cooling Mini PC Cooling
Memory Crucial 32GB 4800MHz
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 680M 8GB IGPU
Storage Crucial 500GB M.2 SSD + 2TB Ext HDD
Display(s) Sony 4K Bravia X85J 43Inch TV 120Hz
Case Beelink Mini PC Chassis
Audio Device(s) Built In Realtek Digital Audio HD
Power Supply 120w Power Brick
Mouse Logitech G203 Lightsync
Keyboard Atrix RGB Slim Keyboard
VR HMD ( ◔ ʖ̯ ◔ )
Software Windows 10 Home 64bit
Benchmark Scores Don't do them anymore.
AMD has historically had issues with tessellation, and even the 290X/290 don't have the amount of tessellation hardware that Kepler / Maxwell have.

I figured that Nvidia's Kepler based GPU's had better tessellation compared to AMD cards too but I've seen benchmarks where the R9 290X & 290 are beating out the GTX 780Ti & 780 in this game... The question I have is did Nvidia cripple their own kepler based GPU's with this game just so they can sell more 900 series???

Anyone here with mid to high end kepler based GPU's, are you getting good performance in this game? :(

System Name My PC
Processor i7 4790k @4.4ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte z97m-d3h
Cooling Corsair H105
Memory 4x4GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133-9-11-11-31-1T
Video Card(s) GTX970 Stric oc
Storage Samsung 840Pro 512GB
Display(s) Asus ROG SWIFT
Case Lian Li 359
Audio Device(s) Denon DA-300USB / Denon AH-D5000
Power Supply Corsair AX860
Mouse Roccat Kone Pure Optical
Keyboard Corsair K70
Software Win10 64-bit home
Hairworks has TERRIBLE performance issues on nVidia. It is just as bad for nVidia cards as it is for AMD.

using 16x tesselation and 16x AA is just a joke of an idea and cant work well on any card currently on the market.

In my opinion they just had to find an exclusive feature to put for PCs to be able to support that "PC version is superior to console", cause really the graphics on ultra (with a 2000 euro pc) are only very slightly better than console versions which costs 400 euro.

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Dell 27 inch 1440p 144 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
From what I've been seeing Maxwell is simply better at tessellation than Kepler. Check out the review here and it shows that to be the case.
I don't think Nvidia did this to make people upgrade to a Maxwell. I think there would have been a leak within Nvidia by now if they did but who knows.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Performance_Analysis/The_Witcher_3/4.html

"On the NVIDIA side, recent cards based on the Maxwell architecture are doing much better than their Kepler predecessors, which is due the Tessellation improvements in the new architecture."

System Name PC-Chips
Processor Ryzen 5 5600x
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming.
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE CPU Air Cooler 6 heat pipes.
Memory Patriot Viper 32gig dual channel 3600mhz
Video Card(s) PowerColor HellHound RX 7900 GRE OC
Storage 2X Samsung 860 EVO SSD's 500gig / 2TB crucial P3-NVME / WD-BLUE SN550 1TB M.2 / SP A55 512gig
Display(s) Panasonic 40-inch 4k TV
Case Modded NZXT H510
Audio Device(s) Realtek S1220A - Yamaha A-S501 AMP - 4 x Wharfedale diamond 9.1 speakers - Wharfedale SW150 sub
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA G6 750W 80+ Gold
Mouse Some cheap wireless thing
Keyboard Razer Cynosa lite
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2 128gig version
Software Windows 11 pro 64bit
Hairworks sucks anyway the effect is minimal for the performance hit it has and it also hurts Nvidia cards aswell as AMD although AMD do seem to take the biggest hit.

If it's such a prob turn the damn setting off as your realy not missing much.

Last edited:
Processor Intel Core i9 13900KF
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 Hero EVA Edition
Cooling Asus Ryujin II 360 EVA Edition
Memory 4x16GBs DDR5 6800MHz G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo Series
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX 4090 AMP Extreme Airo
Storage 2TB Samsung 980 Pro OS - 4TB Nextorage G Series Games - 8TBs WD Black Storage
Display(s) LG C2 OLED 42" 4K 120Hz HDR G-Sync enabled TV
Case Asus ROG Helios EVA Edition
Audio Device(s) Denon AVR-S910W - 7.1 Klipsch Dolby ATMOS Speaker Setup - Audeze Maxwell
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 1300W
Mouse Asus ROG Keris EVA Edition - Asus ROG Scabbard II EVA Edition
Keyboard Asus ROG Strix Scope EVA Edition
VR HMD Samsung Odyssey VR
Software Windows 11 Pro 64bit
Dunno what the big issue is, as stated before, hairworks isn't even worth it, I've run the game on high end Maxwell and AMD rigs, as well as mid range Kepler systems, and it doesn't make that much of a visual impact.

Certainly not enough to justify the loss of performance, I leave it on for my two Maxwell based rigs, but on my other systems I just turn it off, and the game runs decently enough that I can even play it on high settings in my laptop with hairworks off.

Trust me when I say this, the feature doesn't even add that much value to the image quality, AMD and Kepler users aren't missing much.

Besides, didn't we go through the same problems with tressfx a few years ago? I remember when tomb raider had just come out, even on my titans the feature killed the performance and/or produced tons of artifacts, while my 290Xs ran the feature just fine. I don't remember Nvidia crying foul back then, they basically just told their card users to suck it up and turn off the feature while new drivers for tomb raider where developed.

Both teams play the same game, and there's always been plenty of fans from both camps crying foul play, except this time, the cries are coming from high up the managing ladder on the red team, I blame the Illuminati on this conspiracy to break the performance for the red team :slap:

Last edited:

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
I read the title and thought 'Qubit'. No offence but these threads and votes simply create hostility.
Why give a torch to flamers?
You're right to figure out it was me, but not so much about giving the torch to flamers.

Basically, the controversial stuff is inevitably the most interesting and generates the most conversation, which is why I post about it.

I've also noticed that the conversations around these issues are much more sensible and well thought out nowadays, so flamers aren't really much of a problem any more. We shouldn't feel gagged to talk about a subject just because some people may choose to misbehave. That's so wrong on many levels. The problem is with those people, not us and they'll be dealt with if necessary.

Take my AMD bust by 2020 thread for example. It's gone quite well and there have been some really good posts made on there with some great insights. :) Why give all that up through fear of potential trolls?

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
Yes, and its an obvious one. Just like Crysis 2 (or was it 3?) with its random ocean under the map, these games have excess un-needed tesselation. AMD drivers allow you to manually cap the tesselation, and you see no visible differences but huge performance increases - but average gamer Joe has no idea this setting exists, since its not an in-game setting.

I also think the 160 days thing for the AMD drivers is total flamebait, because guess what? Haven't needed them! the drivers they released were stable and bug free, and if it was Nvidia that did it there'd be threads all over the internet praising them.
Should you have experienced one of the few bugs in the stable release (such as the FM2/AM1 APU icon corruption issue) you could use the betas they've been releasing on average every 2 months and resolve your issue.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700X
Motherboard MSI B350 Tomahawk
Cooling Noctua NH-U12S SE-AM4
Memory 32GB (2 x 16GB) Kingston FURY Beast, DDR4 3200MHz, CL16
Video Card(s) ASUS Cerberus GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Advanced Edition
Storage Samsung 960 EVO 512 GB (M.2), Samsung 860 EVO 1 TB (SATA)
Display(s) 27" Ozone DSP27 Pro
Case Fractal Design Define S2
Audio Device(s) Onkyo TX-SR444
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12II-620 Evolution
Mouse Logitech G502 HERO SE
Keyboard Razer Ornata Chroma
Software Windows 10 Home x64
I think this is mainly an issue of Witcher 3 / HairWorks using too much tesselation and AA for the hair. There's been comparison shots of Geralt's hair with different tesselation level caps (forced by the option in Catalyst Control Center) and I think there's little visual hit from changing the tesselation level to 16x from 64x, while the performance impact is lowered dramatically.

I don't think AMD not releasing a WHQL-signed driver for half a year is that bad in their current situation. Their current drivers work well, don't have any serious bugs for most users, and all their current GPUs are old and they have got a lot of optimizations over the years already - more than their Kepler-based competitors. The GTX 680 beat the HD 7970 back in 2012, but nowadays it's the other way around. So there might not be much to optimize for the current GCN GPUs anymore. The only real issue is lack of CrossFire profiles - I'd be annoyed if I had a R9 295X2 and could only utilize one GPU for TW3.

About TW3 itself, I'm running it happily with an overclocked HD 7850. Settings are a mix between medium and high and I'm getting stable 30 FPS. No stuttering, it runs smoothly with the nice, "cinematic" 30-FPS experience and it looks awesome.

NVIDIA is doing this bullshit the entire time and this is among reasons why I don't buy their crap. When AMD implemented TressFX (hair simulation technology), ALL cards with DirectCompute (yes, even NVIDIA) could use it and none was discriminated. If there was performance hit it was roughly the same on all cards. But with NVIDIA and their proprietary junk, it's always some shit that makes competition look worse. So FU NVIDIA. One time it's a coincidence, observing this BS for almost 2 decades and it becomes an intentional thing...

Processor AMD Ryzen 3700x
Motherboard asus ROG Strix B-350I Gaming
Cooling Deepcool LS520 SE
Memory crucial ballistix 32Gb DDR4
Video Card(s) RTX 3070 FE
Storage WD sn550 1To/WD ssd sata 1To /WD black sn750 1To/Seagate 2To/WD book 4 To back-up
Display(s) LG GL850
Case Dan A4 H2O
Audio Device(s) sennheiser HD58X
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse MX master 3
Keyboard Master Key Mx
Software win 11 pro
Dunno what the big issue is, as stated before, hairworks isn't even worth it, I've run the game on high end Maxwell and AMD rigs, as well as mid range Kepler systems, and it doesn't make that much of a visual impact.

Certainly not enough to justify the loss of performance, I leave it on for my two Maxwell based rigs, but on my other systems I just turn it off, and the game runs decently enough that I can even play it on high settings in my laptop with hairworks off.

Trust me when I say this, the feature doesn't even add that much value to the image quality, AMD and Kepler users aren't missing much.

Besides, didn't we go through the same problems with tressfx a few years ago? I remember when tomb raider had just come out, even on my titans the feature killed the performance and/or produced tons of artifacts, while my 290Xs ran the feature just fine. I don't remember Nvidia crying foul back then, they basically just told their card users to suck it up and turn off the feature while new drivers for tomb raider where developed.

Both teams play the same game, and there's always been plenty of fans from both camps crying foul play, except this time, the cries are coming from high up the managing ladder on the red team, I blame the Illuminati on this conspiracy to break the performance for the red team :slap:
Didn't the reason for the geforce having bad perfomance on tress fx at launch, was just the fact that AMD was working with the dev of Tomb Raider ,while Nvidia just sat here ? Tress fx code is open, nvidia could have optimize their drivers the moment the code was available. It also seems that now , tress fx is more efficient on Nvidia gpu than hairworks. But stuff like gameworks is just what Nvidia do. Granted, when they are doing stuff, they are often more mature than the open source alternative.
But they will never stop to try making dev preferring cuda , rather than open cl for example. Hairworks is just the same thing. They do rather make a closed alternative, fragmenting the market, than working with what's available.
But AMD is also too lazy. Tomb Raider and the next Deus ex are the only big name using tress fx... CD projekt didn't even bother to see what they could have done with it. AMD don't understand that they have to sell/market the damn things !

Last edited:
Processor Intel Core i9 13900KF
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 Hero EVA Edition
Cooling Asus Ryujin II 360 EVA Edition
Memory 4x16GBs DDR5 6800MHz G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo Series
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX 4090 AMP Extreme Airo
Storage 2TB Samsung 980 Pro OS - 4TB Nextorage G Series Games - 8TBs WD Black Storage
Display(s) LG C2 OLED 42" 4K 120Hz HDR G-Sync enabled TV
Case Asus ROG Helios EVA Edition
Audio Device(s) Denon AVR-S910W - 7.1 Klipsch Dolby ATMOS Speaker Setup - Audeze Maxwell
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 1300W
Mouse Asus ROG Keris EVA Edition - Asus ROG Scabbard II EVA Edition
Keyboard Asus ROG Strix Scope EVA Edition
VR HMD Samsung Odyssey VR
Software Windows 11 Pro 64bit
Didn't the reason for the geforce having bad perfomance on tress fx at launch, was just the fact that AMD was working with the dev of Tomb Raider ,while Nvidia just sat here ? Tress fx code is open, nvidia could have optimize their drivers the moment the code was available. It also seems that now , tress fx is more efficient on Nvidia gpu than hairworks. But stuff like gameworks is just what Nvidia do. Granted, when they are doing stuff, they are often more mature than the open source alternative.
But they will never stop to try making dev preferring cuda , rather than open cl for example. Hairworks is just the same thing. They do rather make a closed alternative, fragmenting the market, than working with what's available.
But AMD is also too lazy. Tomb Raider and the next Deus ex are the only big name using tress fx... CD projekt didn't even bother to see what they could have done with it. AMD don't understand that they have to sell/market the damn things !

Wrong, Nvidia didn't receive any game code featuring tressfx from crystal dynamics until a week before the game was released, how quickly people forget things:

We are aware of performance and stability issues with GeForce GPUs running Tomb Raider with maximum settings. Unfortunately, NVIDIA didn’t receive final game code until this past weekend which substantially decreased stability, image quality and performance over a build we were previously provided. We are working closely with Crystal Dynamics to address and resolve all game issues as quickly as possible.

Please be advised that these issues cannot be completely resolved by an NVIDIA driver. The developer will need to make code changes on their end to fix the issues on GeForce GPUs as well. As a result, we recommend you do not play Tomb Raider until all of the above issues have been resolved.

In the meantime, we would like to apologize to GeForce users that are not able to have a great experience playing Tomb Raider, as they have come to expect with all of their favorite PC games.

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/ar...14-14-beta-drivers-released#comment-820105287

The feature was quickly patched to properly work on Nvidia hardware; but back then, fans alleged Nvidia didn't receive the code because of the exclusivity deal for this particular feature between AMD and Crystal Dynamics, sounds familiar?

Like I said, same old story, both teams pull the same tricks over and over again, only short term memory seems to favor whoever cries foul the last. :nutkick:

Processor Ryzen 3600
Motherboard B450
Cooling Scythe Ashura
Memory Team Dark Z 3200 8GB x2
Video Card(s) MSI 390
Storage WD 2TB + WD Green 640GB
Display(s) Samsung 40JU6600 @ 200% scaling
Case Coolermaster CM 690 II
Audio Device(s) Fiio E10K, Graham Slee Solo II SRG, Sennheiser HD6XX, AKG K7XX, ATH WS1100is
Power Supply Corsair HX650
Mouse Rival 700
Keyboard Corsair K70, Razer Tarantula
Just like TressFX, It's too early to say. Maybe AMD haven't had time to optimize yet.

Storage WD sn550 1To/WD ssd sata 1To /WD black sn750 1To/Seagate 2To/WD book 4 To back-up
Display(s) LG GL850
Case Dan A4 H2O
Mouse MX master 3
Keyboard Master Key Mx
Software win 11 pro
Wrong, Nvidia didn't receive any game code featuring tressfx from crystal dynamics until a week before the game was released, how quickly people forget things:

We are aware of performance and stability issues with GeForce GPUs running Tomb Raider with maximum settings. Unfortunately, NVIDIA didn’t receive final game code until this past weekend which substantially decreased stability, image quality and performance over a build we were previously provided. We are working closely with Crystal Dynamics to address and resolve all game issues as quickly as possible.

Please be advised that these issues cannot be completely resolved by an NVIDIA driver. The developer will need to make code changes on their end to fix the issues on GeForce GPUs as well. As a result, we recommend you do not play Tomb Raider until all of the above issues have been resolved.

In the meantime, we would like to apologize to GeForce users that are not able to have a great experience playing Tomb Raider, as they have come to expect with all of their favorite PC games.

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/ar...14-14-beta-drivers-released#comment-820105287

The feature was quickly patched to properly work on Nvidia hardware; but back then, fans alleged Nvidia didn't receive the code because of the exclusivity deal for this particular feature between AMD and Crystal Dynamics, sounds familiar?

Like I said, same old story, both teams pull the same tricks over and over again, only short term memory seems to favor whoever cries foul the last. :nutkick:
So the whole tress Fx being open thing, it's just amd trying to look like the good guy ? -_- sigh.... that would be better if that sort of things wasn't in the hand of gpu makers, but more like an engine feature.

AsRock

TPU addict
Processor AMD 3900X \ AMD 7700X
Motherboard ASRock AM4 X570 Pro 4 \ ASUS X670Xe TUF
Cooling D15
Memory Patriot 2x16GB PVS432G320C6K \ G.Skill Flare X5 F5-6000J3238F 2x16GB
Video Card(s) eVga GTX1060 SSC \ XFX RX 6950XT RX-695XATBD9
Storage Sammy 860, MX500, Sabrent Rocket 4 Sammy Evo 980 \ 1xSabrent Rocket 4+, Sammy 2x990 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 1080P \ LG 43UN700
Case Fractal Design Pop Air 2x140mm fans from Torrent \ Fractal Design Torrent 2 SilverStone FHP141x2
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V677 \ Yamaha CX-830+Yamaha MX-630 Infinity RS4000\Paradigm P Studio 20, Blue Yeti
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-750 \ Corsair RM1000X Shift
Mouse Steelseries Sensei wireless \ Steelseries Sensei wireless
Keyboard Logitech K120 \ Wooting Two HE
Benchmark Scores Meh benchmarks.
NVIDIA did it with PhysX. AMD did it with TressFX. NVIDIA is doing it with HairWorks. In my opinion, developers should never touch proprietary, hardware-based middleware. As such, it's CD Projekt RED that did the sabotaging, not AMD nor NVIDIA. If they're not going to bother implementing TressFX too, they should have never wasted time on HairWorks. The fact both the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 ports would have benefitted from TressFX further increaseses the shame on CD Projekt RED. To save face, I think they should pull the plug on HairWorks or rush a patch out for TressFX. They should have given NVIDIA the finger in the first place but that ship has already sailed.

Here's a link directly from AMD about it: https://community.amd.com/community/gaming/blog/2015/05/12/tressfx-hair-cross-platform-and-v20

As to the accusation of sabotage directly, I can't confirm nor deny. All we have are the facts as presented by AMD that, if they are to be believed, show NVIDIA did not optimize HairWorks for AMD cards. That said, NVIDIA has an established history of not giving any !@$%^ about AMD compatibility with GPU-accelerated PhysX. These numbers do not surprise. All of the developers that used hardware accelerated PhsyX in their games are to be blamed for pushing that on AMD gamers. The same applies here with HairWorks. How many times do developers have to get burned before they learn to stay the *%#! away from NVIDIA middleware?

Could not agree more, they should of added both but i bet the agreement with nvidia did not allow it.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
The reason this one with the witcher is stupid, is because a simple .ini tweak fixes it - and it helps Nvidia performace at the same time.

An in-game setting would have resolved this drama before it started, and should be added in a patch.

Display(s) LG GL850
Case Dan A4 H2O
Mouse MX master 3
Keyboard Master Key Mx
Software win 11 pro
the question i ask myself is : what will happen in the years to come ? will every game featuring tressfx/hairworks will be another "buy our gpus" wars ? will "real" hair just fade away ? or will dev have enough of amd/nvidia petty war, and just make in house hair/fur simulation ?
(If stuff like this keep hapenning, i'm 100 % behind closed, proprietary, engine exclusive features.)

Last edited:

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
Case Fractal Design R6
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
the question i ask myself is : what will happen in the years to come ? will every game featuring tressfx/hairworks will be another "buy our gpus" wars ? will "real" hair just fade away ? or will dev have enough of amd/nvidia petty war, and just make in house hair/fur simulation ?

they'll just make all game characters bald, and then the glossy dome wars will begin.

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Dell 27 inch 1440p 144 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
They are in a business competition. Each will try to screw the other over at every opportunity.

upload_2015-5-25_11-23-56.jpeg

System Name Workstation
Processor Intel Core-i9 9960x
Motherboard Asus WS X299 SAGE
Cooling Custom
Memory Crucial Ballistix 128 GB (8 x BL2K16G36C16U4B)
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3
Storage Intel Optane 905P (SSDPED1D015TAX1), Sabrent Rocket 2 TB, 4 x HGST DC HC530
Display(s) NEC PA272W-BK-SV, Eizo CG2700S-BK
Case Custom
Audio Device(s) Asus Essence STX II, Sony WH-1000XM
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME Platinum 1200 W
Mouse Logicool G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard Logicool G810
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, several Adobe software
I voted no because even with my GTX 980 SLI the HairWorks part of the game is still not optimised, even though I am already installed the v1.03 update from GOG Galaxy which improves the HairWorks performance, albeit slightly. I do not need an AMD hardware to know that HairWorks codes in the game is crippling the game performance. Also I do not need fancy physics in hair, unless I am playing Barbie video games or Disney Princesses. HairWorks, TressFX, both are two sides of the same coin. What good is hair if I cannot open inventory without crashing or locking up the game?

MxPhenom 216

ASIC Engineer
System Name Ryzen Reflection
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aorus Master
Cooling 2x EK PE360 | TechN AM4 AMD Block Black | EK Quantum Vector Trinity GPU Nickel + Plexi
Memory Teamgroup T-Force Xtreem 2x16GB B-Die 3600 @ 14-14-14-28-42-288-2T 1.45v
Video Card(s) Zotac AMP HoloBlack RTX 3080Ti 12G | 950mV 1950Mhz
Storage WD SN850 500GB (OS) | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB (Games_1) | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB (Games_2)
Display(s) Asus XG27AQM 240Hz G-Sync Fast-IPS | Gigabyte M27Q-P 165Hz 1440P IPS | Asus 24" IPS (portrait mode)
Case Lian Li PC-011D XL | Custom cables by Cablemodz
Audio Device(s) FiiO K7 | Sennheiser HD650 + Beyerdynamic FOX Mic
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 850
Mouse Razer Viper v2 Pro
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Tournament Edition
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-Bit
NVIDIA is doing this bullshit the entire time and this is among reasons why I don't buy their crap. When AMD implemented TressFX (hair simulation technology), ALL cards with DirectCompute (yes, even NVIDIA) could use it and none was discriminated. If there was performance hit it was roughly the same on all cards. But with NVIDIA and their proprietary junk, it's always some shit that makes competition look worse. So FU NVIDIA. One time it's a coincidence, observing this BS for almost 2 decades and it becomes an intentional thing...
To bad HairWorks is also DirectCompute. NVIDIA was hit hard when Tomb Raider released when TressFX was on, it wasn't till 1-2 weeks later when Nvidia released a new driver that performance was back to where it should be.

HTC

System Name HTC's System
Processor Ryzen 5 2600X
Motherboard Asrock Taichi X370
Cooling NH-C14, with the AM4 mounting kit
Memory G.Skill Kit 16GB DDR4 F4 - 3200 C16D - 16 GTZB
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 480 OC 4 GB
Storage 1 Samsung NVMe 960 EVO 250 GB + 1 3.5" Seagate IronWolf Pro 6TB 7200RPM 256MB SATA III
Display(s) LG 27UD58
Case Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX 850M 80+ Gold
Mouse Razer Deathadder Elite
Software Ubuntu 19.04 LTS
The way i see it: yet another shinny example of:

"Hey: this looks nice!!!! Who cares if performance get's kripled? As long as it looks nice ..."

They should be concentrating on raising the performance of the cards for this game: not TANKING it ...

Status
Not open for further replies.