• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Need help with Asus HD 6950 Overlocking (not to 6970)

Casper

Hello, i recently tried upgrading my asus hd 6950 to 6970 but it failed (i posted about it in here: http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/t...ning-asus-hd6950-to-6970.212836/#post-3286418 ). I was suggested that i might have a newer 6950 which has the shaders laser cut instead of disabled, and that might be the reason. However, people say simply overclocking the card will deliver almost the same results, yet i cannot find a "Simple overclocking" guide, i'm not even sure howto begin. Could you guys help me with a step by step guide howto do this process as safely as possible with the Asus HD6950 ?

I would appreciate help so much, because i feel like my graphics card just doesn't have enough juice to match the modern games.

System Name H2o Box
Processor Intel(R) Xeon e5-2690 v2 Stock 3.300 GHz stock
Motherboard MSI X79A-G43 Plus (MS-7760) v3
Cooling CPU EK & Phobya G-Changer 360 V2.0 RAD H2o VGA "AlphaCool M18" Hybrid [pump replaced 18/8/21]
Memory G.Skill TridentX 16Gb 11-12-12-32 2T @ 1866Mhz [locked]
Video Card(s) Zotac GTX 1080ti AMP EXTREME
Storage HyperX Fury 120GB & Savage 480GB SSD, Seagate 250GB,250GB 7200rpm Kingston 64GB SSD
Display(s) Asus TUF Gaming VG32VQR 2560*1440 165Hz VA Panel
Case Corsair O-800D
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro
Power Supply Be Quiet! [Dark Power Pro 11] 1200W CM replaced [7-4-2017]
Mouse Zelotes T-90
Keyboard K66 Mechanical US Layout
Software Win 10 Pro 64Bit v 20H2 / OS [build 19043.1237] WFEP 120.2212.3530.0
Hi

General Rule of Thumb

Use MSI Afterburner; Sapphire Trixx or Other Software's

Find out the max OC
increase 5~10Mhz on core in stages test at each stage, if the system freezes you have gone to far, lower the OC by 40Mhz and then start the same process with the MEM increase 5~10Mhz once you get artefacts back the OC down by 40Mhz; Use GPU-Z to keep an eye on VRM Temps these can rise quickly when OC's are applied Keep these between 70~80c : 85c Max]
-Adjust vga card fan speed manually [set fan profile]
-Be aware that some games do not like OC's and testing with each game as well as applications and benchmarks is necessary [do not use FurMark it is to harsh and is not a realistic representation of real world gaming]
-*Coolers differ [while one card may cope well with heat the other may not; Place the cooler card at the bottom when in *CrossfireX]
-*Make sure the OC is synchronised, [most third party OC software will allow for this when in *CrossfireX]
-Make sure the drivers are stable; if they are unstable they will crash the OC [use the latest drivers and or a driver you know to be stable]
-Check that the motherboard is setup and chipset drivers are up to date [Run CPU and MEM at default speeds while testing vga card OC]

Note: only apply voltage at outer limit of the max core and memory speed for stability [Warning: adding voltage requires better cooling]

Advice: If possible do not use a system critical disk/hdd while testing for max vga OC and or backup all data in advance

atb

Law-II

Last edited:
System Name Americas cure is the death of Social Justice & Political Correctness
Processor i7-11700K
Motherboard Asrock Z590 Extreme wifi 6E
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB Corsair RGB fancy boi 5000
Video Card(s) RTX 3090 Reference
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1Tb + Samsung 970 Evo 500Gb
Display(s) Dell - 27" LED QHD G-SYNC x2
Case Fractal Design Meshify-C
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ Gold 1000 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502 spectrum
Keyboard AZIO MGK-1 RGB (Kaith Blue)
Software Win 10 Professional 64 bit
Benchmark Scores the MLGeesiest
as a 6950 owner myself, I would recommend that You ONLY overclock the Memory OR the Core, NOT both...with My card ,when I adjusted both, the card became unstable, so Choose which You want to clock, and go from there. Keep in mind that although the 6950 CAN run modern games, its getting old, and clocking can ONLY do SO much.a older card that is 5% faster is STILL lacking a bit for some games.However IMO it is a Solid card, and the Cayman GPU was a solid performer.

Casper

as a 6950 owner myself, I would recommend that You ONLY overclock the Memory OR the Core, NOT both...with My card ,when I adjusted both, the card became unstable, so Choose which You want to clock, and go from there. Keep in mind that although the 6950 CAN run modern games, its getting old, and clocking can ONLY do SO much.a older card that is 5% faster is STILL lacking a bit for some games.However IMO it is a Solid card, and the Cayman GPU was a solid performer.
Appreciate it =)

Casper

Hi

General Rule of Thumb

Use MSI Afterburner; Sapphire Trixx or Other Software's

Find out the max OC
increase 5~10Mhz on core in stages test at each stage, if the system freezes you have gone to far, lower the OC by 40Mhz and then start the same process with the MEM increase 5~10Mhz once you get artefacts back the OC down by 40Mhz; Use GPU-Z to keep an eye on VRM Temps these can rise quickly when OC's are applied Keep these between 70~80c : 85c Max]
-Adjust vga card fan speed manually [set fan profile]
-Be aware that some games do not like OC's and testing with each game as well as applications and benchmarks is necessary [do not use FurMark it is to harsh and is not a realistic representation of real world gaming]
-*Coolers differ [while one card may cope well with heat the other may not; Place the cooler card at the bottom when in *CrossfireX]
-*Make sure the OC is synchronised, [most third party OC software will allow for this when in *CrossfireX]
-Make sure the drivers are stable; if they are unstable they will crash the OC [use the latest drivers and or a driver you know to be stable]
-Check that the motherboard is setup and chipset drivers are up to date [Run CPU and MEM at default speeds while testing vga card OC]

Note: only apply voltage at outer limit of the max core and memory speed for stability [Warning: adding voltage requires better cooling]

Advice: If possible do not use a system critical disk/hdd while testing for max vga OC and or backup all data in advance

atb

Law-II
Thank you! i will try and see, appreciate your help alot :)