• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Microsoft Selects Dolby Audio for Windows 10

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix
I do not agree. It all depens on the games. Just look at what Battlefield games are doing with audio.

A lot of modern games have great audio. What I like the most is the quality of all the recordings and sounds. Old games had a lot of fancy effects, but overall sound quality and number of sounds was terrible

I am confused. Admittedly I don't know much about audio hardware acceleration. But can't the OS handle audio hardware acceleration if you have any sort of audio chip (either embedded or discrete) ? I am pretty sure then that this press release is merely for marketing purposes and with Windows 10 you will still have other vendors supply drivers for audio hardware acceleration. No?

I know everyone thinks this is an excellent idea, but with quad core CPUs being standard now, and good performance all around, what does hardware accelerated audio do anymore that OpenAL can't on the CPU?

I mean... it was useful when we were cramming all effects into a single threaded pentium 4. Not sure about now.

Because software audio sucks major balls. It's bland, everything sounds the same "plasticky" with fake material effects attached to them and has appalling 3D space positioning where you can hardly tell where enemies really are.

I'm just playing System Shock 2, a GOG version that supports OpenAL and 48 channels with EAX 2.0 (this game supported EAX 2.0 even back then, just through DS3D and with only 16 channels) and the audio segment of it blows any modern game out of the sky. And it's a freaking title from 1999. When you walk over metal surfaces you actually feel like you're walking on metal. Hit a metal wall with a wrench and you can just sense the vibrations of the wall. Hitting an indestructible glass window gives the same vibe. Dropping rifle on top of a rifle with metal colliding noise or dropping a bottle of orange juice, the noise of echoing machines rumbling in a room or a hall, the echoing distant noises of hybrids who mumble to themselves etc. It's just not comparable.

Or a simple comparison of Need for Speed 3 Hot Pursuit where you race through a tunnel with a car using EAX. It sounded so good you just can't describe it. Not a single NFS game after Porsche 2000 (basically when they scraped EAX support) is capable of capturing that because reverberation plain and simply sucks.

Of course you don't see any difference in performance if everyone use shitty software audio with shitty cheap effects just so they don't cause any drag on the CPU. EAX 5.0 supports real time audio reflection and occlusion, basically audio ray tracing with multiple effects attached to each reflection and with soft transitions between environment effects. Drag wouldn't be as big as it used to be 20 years ago, but it would still be a problem on weak CPU's. Until you hear that in motion, I'm sure you don't miss real proper audio. Growing up with Aureal Vortex powered soundcard and the 6th generation of Sound Blaster, I'm someone who greatly appreciates high quality in-game audio. Just making loud explosions and talking about soundcards that have SNR of 3 billion decibels means nothing to me. That's not how you measure audio quality in games. Making sound that gives you the immersion of actually standing there, however does. It has to feel organic with the game, not disconnected from it like all these shitty software audio engines used by 99.9% of games released these days...

System Name RemixedBeast-NX
Processor Intel Xeon E5-2690 @ 2.9Ghz (8C/16T)
Motherboard Dell Inc. 08HPGT (CPU 1)
Cooling Dell Standard
Memory 24GB ECC
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Nvidia RTX2060 6GB
Storage 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD//2TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster P2350 23in @ 1920x1080 + Dell E2013H 20 in @1600x900
Case Dell Precision T3600 Chassis
Audio Device(s) Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 // Fiio E7 Amp/DAC
Power Supply 630w Dell T3600 PSU
Mouse Logitech G700s/G502
Keyboard Logitech K740
Software Linux Mint 20
Benchmark Scores Network: APs: Cisco Meraki MR32, Ubiquiti Unifi AP-AC-LR and Lite Router/Sw:Meraki MX64 MS220-8P
and OMG I'm talking to someone that posted to dolby lab's facebook page and they ripped him off too... greedy bastids!

Do we need hardware accelerated audio these days? Even a dual core CPU can handle all the bells and whistles.

128+ channels of simultaneous audio can create quite a load. The only reason MS stripped Vista and newer OSs of H/W accelerated audio was to make it more difficult to pirate streamed media.

Yeah, PCM is uncompressed audio, minus channel improvements how can you really beat that? lol.
Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD MA audio when uncompressed is about 9 Mbps or 12 Mbps depending on the channels and that means that it has almost or a little over twice the bitrate of LPCM. It saves you a lot of space.

FOSS guys at Mozilla and Google aren't going to go for this.
I would not call Google Chrome FOSS project, Chromium and projects like AOSP are FOSS but Chrome and Google's Android are not a FOSS project.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64 / Windows 11 Enterprise IoT 2024
Because software audio sucks major balls. It's bland, everything sounds the same "plasticky" with fake material effects attached to them and has appalling 3D space positioning where you can hardly tell where enemies really are.

I'm just playing System Shock 2, a GOG version that supports OpenAL and 48 channels with EAX 2.0 (this game supported EAX 2.0 even back then, just through DS3D and with only 16 channels) and the audio segment of it blows any modern game out of the sky. And it's a freaking title from 1999. When you walk over metal surfaces you actually feel like you're walking on metal. Hit a metal wall with a wrench and you can just sense the vibrations of the wall. Hitting an indestructible glass window gives the same vibe. Dropping rifle on top of a rifle with metal colliding noise or dropping a bottle of orange juice, the noise of echoing machines rumbling in a room or a hall, the echoing distant noises of hybrids who mumble to themselves etc. It's just not comparable.

Or a simple comparison of Need for Speed 3 Hot Pursuit where you race through a tunnel with a car using EAX. It sounded so good you just can't describe it. Not a single NFS game after Porsche 2000 (basically when they scraped EAX support) is capable of capturing that because reverberation plain and simply sucks.

Of course you don't see any difference in performance if everyone use shitty software audio with shitty cheap effects just so they don't cause any drag on the CPU. EAX 5.0 supports real time audio reflection and occlusion, basically audio ray tracing with multiple effects attached to each reflection and with soft transitions between environment effects. Drag wouldn't be as big as it used to be 20 years ago, but it would still be a problem on weak CPU's. Until you hear that in motion, I'm sure you don't miss real proper audio. Growing up with Aureal Vortex powered soundcard and the 6th generation of Sound Blaster, I'm someone who greatly appreciates high quality in-game audio. Just making loud explosions and talking about soundcards that have SNR of 3 billion decibels means nothing to me. That's not how you measure audio quality in games. Making sound that gives you the immersion of actually standing there, however does. It has to feel organic with the game, not disconnected from it like all these shitty software audio engines used by 99.9% of games released these days...

What OS were you playing system shock2 on?

I ask because eax 3 and below is actually done on the CPU in modern creative drivers... And it isn't that taxing.

Originally it was Windows 98SE and later Windows XP (that was with Sound Blaster Live! 5.1, Audigy 2 Value and later with SB X-Fi. This time it is on Windows 8.1, but is using OpenAL and SB Z so I don't know how is with that. Besides, EAX 2.0 is just reverberation and spatialization engine. It has no sound reflection or occlusion. It must have either some sort of better HRTF incorporated or it's just my SB Z doing that because of OpenAL. Because when I move around or sounds move around me in game I can locate the sound with such accuracy I could walk through the game with my eyes closed. I hardly ever get that in any modern game.

Either way, I don't care, it sounds so much better than anything else even with EAX 2.0...

Processor Intel® Core™ i7-13700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 32GB(2x16) DDR5@6600MHz G-Skill Trident Z5
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 AMP Holo
Storage 2TB SK Platinum P41 SSD + 4TB SanDisk Ultra SSD + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 3440x1440@100Hz G-Sync
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech Hero G502 SE
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64bit
Benchmark Scores 30FPS in NFS:Rivals
I do not agree. It all depens on the games. Just look at what Battlefield games are doing with audio.
A lot of modern games have great audio. What I like the most is the quality of all the recordings and sounds. Old games had a lot of fancy effects, but overall sound quality and number of sounds was terrible

Battlefield games have good sound but that's it. There is no spatial sound, no reverberation depending on the environment, everything is just laud. that's all. Sorry but you never played Unreal (the original game), Thief or FEAR 2 it seems. In Unreal 1, even from the first mission, you can clearly hear the big fans spinning above your head, electric sparks coming from everywhere, and sewage flowing under you. All on the same time! The sound is so unbelievable realistic, specially on A3D 2.0 cards or EAX 4.

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix
128+ channels of simultaneous audio can create quite a load. The only reason MS stripped Vista and newer OSs of H/W accelerated audio was to make it more difficult to pirate streamed media.

But won't third party drivers for Vista and newer take care of this?

Keullo-e

S.T.A.R.S.
System Name 4K-gaming
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X w/Eisblock XPX
Motherboard Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite
Cooling Custom loop, Corsair ML/LL fans
Memory 48GB Kingston Fury DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) Asus GeForce RTX 3080 TUF w/Vector TUF
Storage ~4TB SSD + 6TB HDD
Display(s) Acer XV273K 4K120 + Lenovo L32p-30 4K60
Case Corsair 4000D Airflow White
Audio Device(s) Asus TUF H3 Wireless