• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Change from Celsius to Fahrenheit?

Would others agree with me that GPU-Z should have an option to display BOTH CELSIUS & FAHRENHEIT

• YES

• NO

• DONT CARE

Results are only viewable after voting.
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
I understand where you are coming from, and you are right, just not sure of the actual relevance in real world scenarios, what I mean by that is, if you go out this weekend and run a marathon, some might say you have run 42.195km, others may say they have run 26 miles and 385 yards, whichever way you care to call it, you have run the same distance . Of course if you were getting dirty with something like micro physics where you were talking tiny fractions of a unit then yes most certainly having that added detail will make life easier, but not sure if it makes it more accurate.
It really just comes down to what you grew up with. I prefer the metric system in pretty much all ways (as a mechanic, it's just easier to remember what's what)... Except I just can't use Celsius in daily life. If someone here asked me what temperature it was be it outside or.. say an engine, if I gave them the info in Celsius they'd look at me like I have lobsters crawling out of my ears! Fahrenheit (with the exception of PC's) are ingrained in my head. I couldn't tell you the temperature here in C, but I can say it does feel like a very nice 72 degrees. 40 years of this stuff forced into me head.

Metric is more precise, water freezes at 0ºC (32ºF) and boils at 100ºC (212ºF). Simple.

No. Stop trying to science.

Precision and accuracy have nothing to do with the software. The accuracy would measure the deviation between reported temperature and actual temperature, while precision would measure how the reported temperature varied with a consistent real temperature. What we are asking for is which scale we are going to use. Is it one that arbitrarily sets 0 at the freezing temperature of water, or one that arbitrarily sets 0 at brine freezing temperature (and 100 at human body temperature).

If we are trying to make the argument for more gradients within the same measurement, then Fahrenheit wins. If we are trying to make the argument for which scale conforms to most existing specifications Celsius wins. If we want to be pedantic engineers (looks both ways, knowing they are guilty of this), we choose Rankine or Kelvin because temperature is a measurement of random kinetic energy and those scales have no motion as 0.

Science aside, Celsius wins hands down for me. Fahrenheit may have more gradients, but that's why we have decimal places. This assertion is coming from a person who has spent long enough in the engineering fields to know that the imperial system was thought up by a drunkard. No other explanation could possibly cover a numerical base 10 system, with a measurement system based on arbitrary crap (screw you furlong, rod, and yard).

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
40 years of this stuff forced into me head.
Oh, so you're another old fart! Me too. You've just gone up in my estimation. :D

Ya know, I'm metric in everything but speed. It's got to be mph. I can estimate a conversion of kph to mph in my head fairly easily, but it just feels totally wrong. I guess it's like this for me because that's how things are measured in daily life here in England.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
I understand where you are coming from, and you are right, just not sure of the actual relevance in real world scenarios, what I mean by that is, if you go out this weekend and run a marathon, some might say you have run 42.195km, others may say they have run 26 miles and 385 yards, whichever way you care to call it, you have run the same distance . Of course if you were getting dirty with something like micro physics where you were talking tiny fractions of a unit then yes most certainly having that added detail will make life easier, but not sure if it makes it more accurate.

You didn't pay attention much in science class did you?

Precision is exactly what I just described (unit size) in a scientific context... you want to get as close to the target as possible, so to speak. Either that or my science teacher was full of BS, which is possible. :p

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
There are two different kinds of countries in this world. Countries that use the metric system and countries that went to the moon.

Typical Imperialistic attitude. :p

Precision is exactly what I just described (unit size) in a scientific context... you want to get as close to the target as possible, so to speak. Either that or my science teacher was full of BS, which is possible. :p

Yes and no.

Imagine two targets. You get to fire two guns at the target. The first has rifling, and the other is smooth barrel. After five shots of each gun you compare the targets. The gun with rifling has a grouping with a diameter of 3", but is centered 4" from the bulls eye. This group is very precise, but not accurate. Your smooth barrel has produced a grouping with diameter 5", but the center of the grouping is dead on the bulls eye. This group is accurate, but not precise.

Now that we've established the basics of precision and accuracy, let's apply it to our example. Your CPU is actually 45 C. This is under a constant loading, so the temperature is constant. An accurate reading would vary between 44-46 C, assuming a variability in the sensor of +/-1 C. You could get a very precise reading of 43 C consistently, but it would not be accurate.

In short, neither Fahrenheit or Celsius is more accurate. They are scales, which by nature have no accuracy (they are based on arbitrary stuff). Our equipment determines accuracy and precision.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Sounds about right, thanks. :)

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
*Flies off in Metric Deathstar to battle Imperial forces*

System Name Gaming System / HTPC-Server
Processor i7 8700K (@4.8 Ghz All-Core) / R7 5900X
Motherboard Z370 Aorus Ultra Gaming / MSI B450 Mortar Max
Cooling CM ML360 / CM ML240L
Memory 16Gb Hynix @3200 MHz / 16Gb Hynix @3000Mhz
Video Card(s) Zotac 3080 / Colorful 1060
Storage 750G MX300 + 2x500G NVMe / 40Tb Reds + 1Tb WD Blue NVMe
Display(s) LG 27GN800-B 27'' 2K 144Hz / Sony TV
Case Xigmatek Aquarius Plus / Corsair Air 240
Audio Device(s) On Board Realtek
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III Gold 750W / Andyson TX-700 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero / K400+
Keyboard Wooting Two / K400+
Software Windows 10 x64
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R15 = 1542 3D Mark Timespy = 9758

Precision actually describes the spread of repeated measurements. Accuracy is how close the measurement are to the actual (true) value.

The system of unit makes no difference to either. The sensitivity of instrument does.

Edit - lilhasslehoffer beat me to it. Dang.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Precision actually describes the spread of repeated measurements. Accuracy is how close the measurement are to the actual (true) value.

The system of unit makes no difference to either. The sensitivity of instrument does.

Edit - lilhasslehoffer beat me to it. Dang.

Yeah, I had a sneaking suspicion my high school science teacher was oversimplifying things... Not surprised to have it confirmed... Lol

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Processor Rocket Lake Core i5 11600K @ 5 Ghz with PL tweaks
Motherboard MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120SE + 4 Phanteks 140mm case fans
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB SR) Patriot Viper Steel 4133Mhz DDR4 @ 3600Mhz CL14@1.45v Gear 1
Video Card(s) Asus Dual RTX 4070 OC
Storage WD Blue SN550 1TB M.2 NVME//Crucial MX500 500GB SSD (OS)
Display(s) AOC Q2781PQ 27 inch Ultra Slim 2560 x 1440 IPS
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Windowed - Gunmetal
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC1200/SPDIF to Sony AVR @ 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM650w Gold Semi modular
Mouse Coolermaster Storm Octane wired
Keyboard Element Gaming Carbon Mk2 Tournament Mech
Software Win 10 Home x64
Yeah, I had a sneaking suspicion my high school science teacher was oversimplifying things... Not surprised to have it confirmed... Lol
I was self taught so that's my excuse and I am sticking to it!