• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

E-cigarettes alter lungs 'at cellular level'

System Name Lailalo
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X Boosts to 4.95Ghz
Motherboard Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus (WIFI
Cooling Noctua
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) XFX 7900XT 20GB
Storage Samsung 970 Pro Plus 1TB, Crucial 1TB MX500 SSD, Segate 3TB
Display(s) LG Ultrawide 29in @ 2560x1080
Case Coolermaster Storm Sniper
Power Supply XPG 1000W
Mouse G602
Keyboard G510s
Software Windows 10 Pro / Windows 10 Home
And of course California would read this and go bonkers...they already are. Every time they do I always want to question these idiots and say..."Why are you going so nuts about something that has unknown health effects but theoretically is safer because it doesn't have tar or any number of the same nasty things regular cigs have, yet don't give a rats ass about regular cigarettes other than taxing them out of existence?"

To sum it all up...Californians are idiots....yes I know I am one too but I don't consider myself part of their existence.

System Name octo1
Processor dual Xeon 2687W ES
Motherboard Supermicro
Cooling dual Noctua NH-D14
Memory generic ECC reg
Video Card(s) 2 HD7950
Storage generic
Case Rosewill Thor
Perhaps you are reading the article with a bit of bias. The phrases of importance from the article are:
"Non-asthmatic volunteers (n=27)..."
"Propylene glycol may cause contact allergy, but there is sparse information on health effects from occupational exposure to PG."
"After exposure to PG mist for 1 minute tear film stability decreased, ocular and throat symptoms increased, forced expiratory volume in 1 second/forced vital capacity (FEV1/FVC) was slightly reduced, and self rated severity of dyspnoea was slightly increased. No effect was found for nasal patency, vital capacity (VC), FVC, nasal symptoms, dermal symptoms, smell of solvent, or any systemic symptoms."
"In four subjects who reported development of irritative cough during exposure to PG, FEV1 was decreased by 5%, but FEV1 was unchanged among those who did not develop a cough"
"Short exposure to PG mist from artificial smoke generators may cause acute ocular and upper airway irritation in non-asthmatic subjects. A few may also react with cough and slight airway obstruction."

Reviewing the article (it was not a study, or genuine research of any kind), we note the following.
1) Sample size was crap. 27 people means nothing when your only qualifier is "non-asthmatic."
2) No double blind testing. No testing of other aerosols. No controls. This is why it's an article, and not a study.
3) Not related to intentional consumption of vaporized PG, but simply cited as a fog of PG.
4) Poor subject analysis. People suffering from allergies could "develop a cough," yet the article cites it as a link between irritation to PG and irritation of the throat. Specifically, they made the deduction, from a functionally non-existant sample size, that because other studies say women are more likely to be more sensitive to irritants their data shows more women were sensitive.
5) Bias. Read the discussion at the end of the article. They admit that the concentration is very high, and the exposure time is very low. Technically, I can get the same effect of throat irritation if I walk from a cold pool into a hot humid sauna.

This article is crap. The people quoting it are extrapolating data based on insufficient input information. There are plenty of "news" articles that cite it as a source that incontrovertibly proves PG should not be imbibed as an aerosol. Another cottage industry of fear mongerers has been built around nothing.

When you cite me a viable study that comes to the same conclusion I'll listen. Until then I assume that e-cigs are just about as bad as regular cigarettes. Any other assertion is either based in idiocy, or bending to propaganda. Neither option is reasonable.
I wouldn't go so far as to say crap but it definitely doesn't prove that PG is safe. And that was the point I was trying to make.

System Name Champ's 1440P Rig
Processor Intel i7-4770K @ 4.6 GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z97 Extreme6
Cooling Corsair H60
Memory Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600 Mhz 4x4 Blue Ram
Video Card(s) Nvidia 1080 FE
Storage Samsung 840 Evo 256 GB/RAID 0 Western Digital Blue 1 TB HDDs
Display(s) Acer XG270HU
Case Antec P100
Power Supply Corsair CX850M
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard TT eSports Poseidon
Software Windows 10
Even if you are having reactions to PG, and most don't it know until they get concentrated doses vaping, there is full VG juice, which I am about to start using. That's for the hobbyist and extremist thou. Can only be used dripping or probably with a solid rta. General vaping crowd could probably give two craps.

I wouldn't go so far as to say crap but it definitely doesn't prove that PG is safe. And that was the point I was trying to make.

I do not argue that the product is safe for this use. Honestly, I believe that any aerosol delivery system of a drug is insanely risk laden when you start pumping particulate matter into your lungs.

My argument is that the article is being used to say something is dangerous, and that's crap. They can't meet the minimum bar for a basic study, they posit relationships based upon personal biases, and after all of this can't even conclusively demonstrate that their assertions were based upon a non psycho-somatic response. Despite lacking a sufficient sample size, adequate controls, blinds to remove psychological responses from physiological ones, and generally a poorly thought out experiment these people are beating the drum of danger. That sort of stupidity is unacceptable to determine whether anything is truly safe or dangerous.

We expose ourselves to some crazy dangerous things in the name of curing some perceived failing. Honestly, responses to vaccinations can cripple a very small amount of people (not via autism, via having too strong of a reaction to the virus bits and basically boiling themselves in their skin). Despite this, we get them to prevent far worse things that can easily spread. Methodone is insanely addictive, yet treats heroine abusers. A fundamentally unsafe product is used to treat a much more dangerous state of affairs. Maybe PG via vaporizer is methodone, maybe it's using crack to cure your alcoholism. This article can't really say which situation vaporizers lean toward, yet that does not stop them from conjecturing. Those conjectures contribute to people "factually" stating vaporizer are dangerous, based on no demonstrable facts. That sort of equivocation is dangerous and foolhardy, in short "crap."

System Name Gaming System / HTPC-Server
Processor i7 8700K (@4.8 Ghz All-Core) / R7 5900X
Motherboard Z370 Aorus Ultra Gaming / MSI B450 Mortar Max
Cooling CM ML360 / CM ML240L
Memory 16Gb Hynix @3200 MHz / 16Gb Hynix @3000Mhz
Video Card(s) Zotac 3080 / Colorful 1060
Storage 750G MX300 + 2x500G NVMe / 40Tb Reds + 1Tb WD Blue NVMe
Display(s) LG 27GN800-B 27'' 2K 144Hz / Sony TV
Case Xigmatek Aquarius Plus / Corsair Air 240
Audio Device(s) On Board Realtek
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III Gold 750W / Andyson TX-700 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero / K400+
Keyboard Wooting Two / K400+
Software Windows 10 x64
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R15 = 1542 3D Mark Timespy = 9758
Probably, but not necessarily "safe." That was the point I was trying to make. And bear in mind that very little is known about the effects of long term exposure. That study was only a cursory examination to determine if there were any immediate health effects for transient exposure. And as they say in the introduction

I agree, it doesn't prove they are safe at all, they might not be. Even drinking water is not always safe and dihydrogen Monoxide causes a large number of deaths each year.

Lots of doctors have said that they believe vaping to be safer than smoking. In absence of clinical studies, I'll take the doctors' word when choosing between them.

There are some studies into vaping (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22672560), but not enough time or money has been invested to find the long-term effects.

Last edited: