• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

GTX 970 Ebuyer RMA not going smoothly: advice?

System Name [Daily Driver]
Processor [Ryzen 7 5800X3D]
Motherboard [Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS]
Cooling [be quiet! Dark Rock Slim]
Memory [64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3600MHz (16GBx4)]
Video Card(s) [PNY RTX 3070Ti XLR8]
Storage [1TB SN850 NVMe, 4TB 990 Pro NVMe, 2TB 870 EVO SSD, 2TB SA510 SSD]
Display(s) [2x 27" HP X27q at 1440p]
Case [Fractal Meshify-C]
Audio Device(s) [Steelseries Arctis Pro]
Power Supply [CORSAIR RMx 1000]
Mouse [Logitech G Pro Wireless]
Keyboard [Logitech G512 Carbon (GX-Brown)]
Software [Windows 11 64-Bit]
Yeah I'm waiting to see what MSI have to say about it. If they do a replacement then it's all good, but I'd have gone about 30+ days without my card. If they replace that'd be an admission of a hardware fault and I feel I should be compensated by ebuyer for my downtime!

On that last part.. no... just no...

System Name N/A
Processor i7-4790K
Motherboard Asus Z97-A
Cooling Thermalright True Power 140
Memory 2 x 8GB GeIL Potenza 2400Mhz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 970 Gaming
Storage 2TB Seagate Barracuda
Display(s) 24" Samsung 1080p LED Monitor
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro
Power Supply Corsair TX650W
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown MX)
Software Windows 8.1
On that last part.. no... just no...

Hahaha fair enough, but if their engineers can't find a problem 3 times and the MSI guys straight away then clearly I've had my time wasted by Ebuyer...

System Name [Daily Driver]
Processor [Ryzen 7 5800X3D]
Motherboard [Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS]
Cooling [be quiet! Dark Rock Slim]
Memory [64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3600MHz (16GBx4)]
Video Card(s) [PNY RTX 3070Ti XLR8]
Storage [1TB SN850 NVMe, 4TB 990 Pro NVMe, 2TB 870 EVO SSD, 2TB SA510 SSD]
Display(s) [2x 27" HP X27q at 1440p]
Case [Fractal Meshify-C]
Audio Device(s) [Steelseries Arctis Pro]
Power Supply [CORSAIR RMx 1000]
Mouse [Logitech G Pro Wireless]
Keyboard [Logitech G512 Carbon (GX-Brown)]
Software [Windows 11 64-Bit]
Hahaha fair enough, but if their engineers can't find a problem 3 times and the MSI guys straight away then clearly I've had my time wasted by Ebuyer...

Ebuyer probably just plugs it in and sees if it boots/runs a basic benchmark. They're just the retailer.

System Name N/A
Processor i7-4790K
Motherboard Asus Z97-A
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro
Mouse Logitech MX518
Software Windows 8.1
Ebuyer probably just plugs it in and sees if it boots/runs a basic benchmark. They're just the retailer.

Exactly but I specified exactly when I get the problem (after 3D load) twice. If they haven't done that they haven't actually tried to replicate my problem. That's time being wasted if you ask me. But either way doesn't really matter if I'll have to get a refund through my credit card company. I'll just never buy from them again

System Name N/A
Processor i7-4790K
Motherboard Asus Z97-A
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro
Mouse Logitech MX518
Software Windows 8.1
They've agreed to refund me. After waiting exactly 3 weeks for the card to return from Netherlands. MSI replacing the card being a tacit admission that they should have done the same. Either way I have to turn away the card upon delivery and when it's back to ebuyer I can have a refund :D

System Name N/A
Processor i7-4790K
Motherboard Asus Z97-A
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro
Mouse Logitech MX518
Software Windows 8.1
Just got this from their supervisor

"On the 10th of May you contacted us again sending us a video of the fault you were experiencing. This video shows the temperate at 32 C and one fan is spinning, the temperature never got any higher so we were unable to see if the 2nd fan turned on. We would always expect one fan to be spinning just to keep the card cool."

This woman doesn't know a damn thing about computers!!! They make me so annoyed every time I speak to them I'm deleting my account when I get my refund. How can they get away with this excuse of a support team?

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Storage Samsung SM961 256GB + HGST 1TB
Display(s) 1080p IPS G-SYNC 75Hz
Audio Device(s) Bang & Olufsen
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
Just got this from their supervisor

"On the 10th of May you contacted us again sending us a video of the fault you were experiencing. This video shows the temperate at 32 C and one fan is spinning, the temperature never got any higher so we were unable to see if the 2nd fan turned on. We would always expect one fan to be spinning just to keep the card cool."

This woman doesn't know a damn thing about computers!!! They make me so annoyed every time I speak to them I'm deleting my account when I get my refund. How can they get away with this excuse of a support team?

Support teams aren't computer literate. They're told to follow a script. Its not until you hit 3rd line support that you get a competent IT literate human being. If I ever have issues with GPUs, I hassle NVidia who have lovely customer service reps who will speak to retailers on your behalf (reference cards only), or hassle the manufacturer until they get tired and deal with the retailer themselves. Ebuyer are just a small office of people who deal with an enormous warehouse of stock. They should have just replaced the card up front and then dealt with the fault later to save you and them the time and money of shipment, but some retailers are just not that smart.

Scan have some good deals, personally I avoid OCUK as they price themselves above everyone else and their shipping costs are abhorrent. Just get your refund and buy elsewhere.

System Name N/A
Processor i7-4790K
Motherboard Asus Z97-A
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro
Mouse Logitech MX518
Software Windows 8.1
Support teams aren't computer literate. They're told to follow a script. Its not until you hit 3rd line support that you get a competent IT literate human being. If I ever have issues with GPUs, I hassle NVidia who have lovely customer service reps who will speak to retailers on your behalf (reference cards only), or hassle the manufacturer until they get tired and deal with the retailer themselves. Ebuyer are just a small office of people who deal with an enormous warehouse of stock. They should have just replaced the card up front and then dealt with the fault later to save you and them the time and money of shipment, but some retailers are just not that smart.

Scan have some good deals, personally I avoid OCUK as they price themselves above everyone else and their shipping costs are abhorrent. Just get your refund and buy elsewhere.

I know, I guess that makes it easier to understand. At the end of the day MOST their sales probably aren't enthusiast components now you mention it... I will get my refund, I turned away the package an hour ago, my new one from Amazon is coming today. I'm betting on Amazon to have even less knowledgeable support but have deep enough pockets to replace if I have a fault. And the silver lining is hopefully I'll get the Witcher and Batman free maybe *fingers crossed*.

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
I know, I guess that makes it easier to understand. At the end of the day MOST their sales probably aren't enthusiast components now you mention it... I will get my refund, I turned away the package an hour ago, my new one from Amazon is coming today. I'm betting on Amazon to have even less knowledgeable support but have deep enough pockets to replace if I have a fault. And the silver lining is hopefully I'll get the Witcher and Batman free maybe *fingers crossed*.

It appears to be an issue with some select MSI 970s

http://www.overclock.net/t/1515642/msi-gtx-970-fan-issues-one-fan-keeps-spinning-at-high-rpm
https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=183618.0

Both ramp up on load. At idle, the one near the I/O goes back to idle, while the power pin side fan continues at its loaded speed.

System Name N/A
Processor i7-4790K
Motherboard Asus Z97-A
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro
Mouse Logitech MX518
Software Windows 8.1
It appears to be an issue with some select MSI 970s

http://www.overclock.net/t/1515642/msi-gtx-970-fan-issues-one-fan-keeps-spinning-at-high-rpm

Both ramp up on load. At idle, the one near the I/O goes back to idle, while the power pin side fan continues at its loaded speed.

That's exactly it, but ebuyer couldn't do a simple Google search to help their testing. They just ran furmark and said they didn't see a fault. From what I read it was the early batch. I bought mine first week

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
That's exactly it, but ebuyer couldn't do a simple Google search to help their testing. They just ran furmark and said they didn't see a fault. From what I read it was the early batch. I bought mine first week

Bought mine first day, luckily haven't had a single problem :D

Did you at least keep the limited edition mousemat?

System Name N/A
Processor i7-4790K
Motherboard Asus Z97-A
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro
Mouse Logitech MX518
Software Windows 8.1
Bought mine first day, luckily haven't had a single problem :D

Did you at least keep the limited edition mousemat?

OMG I messaged ebuyer about that and they said they weren't doing it!!! Icing on the cake at this point hahahahah