• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Who's going to buy Elder Scrolls Online now that they've ditched monthly subscription?

System Name Widow
Processor Ryzen 7600x
Motherboard AsRock B650 HDVM.2
Cooling CPU : Corsair Hydro XC7 }{ GPU: EK FC 1080 via Magicool 360 III PRO > Photon 170 (D5)
Memory 32GB Gskill Flare X5
Video Card(s) GTX 1080 TI
Storage Samsung 9series NVM 2TB and Rust
Display(s) Predator X34P/Tempest X270OC @ 120hz / LG W3000h
Case Fractal Define S [Antec Skeleton hanging in hall of fame]
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar Xense with AKG K612 cans on Monacor SA-100
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Razer Naga 2014
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores FFXIV ARR Benchmark 12,883 on i7 2600k 15,098 on AM5 7600x
I decided to give it a go for the free/comeback weekend.

Speaking of which, if any one got the invite/had an old beta account that they don't want anymore, let us know. We have some friends that would like to try it out.

Yep, like yourself and @bogmali I received an email today as well. I believe it starts Thursday the 16th of April and runs through Monday the 20th at 10:00 AM EDT.
I plan on checking it out since I haven't even messed with it since the beta either.

Come on Steam dude.

bogmali

In Orbe Terrum Non Visi
System Name Daily Driver/Part Time
Processor Core i7-13700K/Ryzen R5-7600
Motherboard ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 APEX/Asrock B650 Pro RS Wi-Fi
Cooling Corsair H150i RGB PRO XT AIO/Deep Cool LS-520 White
Memory Patriot 2x16GB DDR5-7200/XPG Lancer Blade 2X16GB DDR-5-6000
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 3X OC RTX-4080 Super/Sapphire Radeon RX-7800XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro M.2 NVMe 2TB/KingSpec XG 7000 4TB M.2 NVMe/Crucial P5 Plus 2TB M.2 NVMe
Display(s) Alienware AW3423DW
Case Corsair 5000d AirFlow/Asus AP201 White
Audio Device(s) AudioEngine D1 DAC/Onboard
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra 1K Watt/Seagotep 750W
Mouse Corsair M65 RGB Elite
Keyboard Adata XPG Summoner
Software Win11 Pro 64
Benchmark Scores Xbox Live Gamertag=jondonken
I decided to give it a go for the free/comeback weekend.

Speaking of which, if any one got the invite/had an old beta account that they don't want anymore, let us know. We have some friends that would like to try it out.

Come on Steam dude.

Replied to your PM

Ahhzz

Staff member
System Name OrangeHaze / Silence
Processor i7-13700KF / i5-10400 /
Motherboard ROG STRIX Z690-E / MSI Z490 A-Pro Motherboard
Cooling Corsair H75 / TT ToughAir 510
Memory 64Gb GSkill Trident Z5 / 32GB Team Dark Za 3600
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2070 / Sapphire R9 290 Vapor-X 4Gb
Storage Hynix Plat P41 2Tb\Samsung MZVL21 1Tb / Samsung 980 Pro 1Tb
Display(s) 22" Dell Wide/24" Asus
Case Lian Li PC-101 ATX custom mod / Antec Lanboy Air Black & Blue
Audio Device(s) SB Audigy 7.1
Power Supply Corsair Enthusiast TX750
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed Wireless / Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum
Keyboard K68 RGB — CHERRY® MX Red
Software Win10 Pro \ RIP:Win 7 Ult 64 bit
System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Storage Samsung SM961 256GB + HGST 1TB
Display(s) 1080p IPS G-SYNC 75Hz
Audio Device(s) Bang & Olufsen
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
Had a play last night, made a cat-with-big-sword that throws magical spears of light. Feels good, but gets super boring by yourself. Also not sure how FPRPG works in a raid environment, I'm too used to playing WoW. The block and stun mechanics still feel shoehorned since beta testing. I might have more fun if I had people to play with.

Also those 500 free crowns for the unlimited weekend thing, there's basically nothing useful to buy besides cross-race recipes for crafting. Unless you want to dress up as a crappy looking chef permanently.

Love the quests though, they feel way better than "collect 10 red snappers". Very clean and you stumble upon them nicely. Best quest content in an MMO I've played, just the FP thing is clunky and singleplayer kinda sucks.

System Name Widow
Processor Ryzen 7600x
Cooling CPU : Corsair Hydro XC7 }{ GPU: EK FC 1080 via Magicool 360 III PRO > Photon 170 (D5)
Mouse Razer Naga 2014
Software Windows 11 Pro
Having started with a very group oriented set of MMOs (EQ, FFXI, EQOA..) being able to do things alone consistently (aforementioned games had content you could solo, but did not have 'solo' content if that makes sense), was refreshing. As more modern MMOs put out intentional solo content, it got watered down and became almost too obvious - lacking challenge and creativity for the player.

And while I have some huge gripes with ESO, this is one aspect that I do appreciate when I am out and about by myself roaming the country side, discovering areas, killing mobs for hides(to craft), picking up lore books to raise my Magic Guild level, unlocking random chests, practicing my skills/ability rotation on camps of mobs, running into various dungeons, doing open world events and quests etc.

If they got one thing right in relation to TES games, is creating a sense of 'go anywhere, do anything.' I find myself being really spastic. I start out to do a quest or goto a specific place and three hours later, I never made it. But my bags are full, my skill is increased, my knowledge is better, I made progress and I had some fun along the way.
Rcoon isn't wrong though - there are some situations where a partner or a small group would make particular experiences better and in some cases easier and more enjoyable.

I think if every one had a solo character and a group character, that would fill both requirements. The rest is just time management.

Last edited:
Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
I've sunk over 200 hrs into ESO but every time I come back to it, having reached VR 11, I just end up grinding. The quests are fun until you reach VR1 and figure out that the game forces you into another TWO ENTIRE factions with all the accompanying questlines to really finish the single player content. By the way, soloing all the way up until VR10 is very well doable, but requires a solid build, gear and combat skills/tactic. It is a pretty fun challenge, but a far too lengthy one really.

ESO was a great experience in many ways, and as an immersive game it works pretty well, but as an MMO it falls horribly short in my opinion. The nasty thing about ESO is that even though it does the questing very well, Skyrim/Oblivion/Morrow. still does it slightly better and gives you more options while not feeling like a 'grind'. Basically ESO has 'too much' content that you have to work through to reach the power plateau, so you end up XP grinding and that kills the fun.

I've been pretty close to dev progression and plans for the future and from what I could distill, this game has been pretty much abandoned content-wise. Planned content like the Justice system was already projected since release but still needs to be fleshed out. The VR levels are being swapped for a CP system where you are funnelled into end-game grinding for percentile advantages, introducing a min-max culture to a game that was pretty freeform in character building.

With the recent changes and transition to B2P, everything points towards a mostly abandoned game to me. The cash shop is the one thing that is getting a shitload of attention and updates, but content is still extremely similar to what we had on release and many things are still (partially) broken and crudely balanced. Basically we got Craglorn and that was that. The end game doesn't really deliver either. Cyrodill, while being a potentially awesome RvRvR, is mostly too empty or too zergy to really enjoy - though at the right time and with a solid and good group of players it can be really awesome. The game economy is quite broken because of the multitude of bad design choices, bots and hacks that have occurred (such as duping items and patches involving the Hirelings that give free daily crafting ingredients) even though the devs maintain 'all is good'.

ESO always held so much promise to me, and I gave it a dozens of chances trying to really get into it and enjoy the game; solo, instanced groups, and in RvRvR, but it just won't really stick. It gets bland and repetitive really quickly and once you've seen a dozen builds for your class, you've really seen all there is to see. It's a shame.

Last edited:
System Name Widow
Processor Ryzen 7600x
Mouse Razer Naga 2014
Software Windows 11 Pro
TPU clan to be live as soon as we get members. PM me for invite.

brandonwh64

Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!
Anybody else playing this? A coworker bought it for me and we have been playing a little.

System Name Budget++
Processor AMD FX-8370 Black Edition
Motherboard MSI 970 GAMING, Socket-AM3+
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
Memory Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz 8GB CL9
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce GTX 970 4GB
Storage OCZ SSD Agility 3 Series 2.5" 120GB + Some shit 1TB hdd
Display(s) BenQ XL2411Z
Case Fractal Design Core 3000 Midi Tower
Audio Device(s) NaN
Power Supply Corsair CX 750M, 750W
Mouse QPAD 5K Lasergrade mouse
Keyboard Razer Blackwidow 2014
Software Windows 7 - Ultimate 64-bit
Benchmark Scores 0/10
Tried it a while ago when I received beta-access to the game.

Played for an hour or so, but a bug in one of the missions made it so nobody could progress the mission. That totally ruined the game for me at that point.
Now that they removed the monthly subscription fee, I might look into it again.

I have an old one if you need it, just have to dig through my email first :roll:

Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64

Played for an hour or so, but a bug in one of the missions made it so nobody could progress the mission. That totally ruined the game for me at that point.

I have an old one if you need it, just have to dig through my email first :roll:

So, you were, like me, one of the gazillion players standing on that perch waiting for some odd bird to spawn?

Been there... :p

That was some shitty beta, that. If you quit right after that little bug, some nice info: the lockup in conversations with NPC's that everyone had simply made it into the gold release :D And that little bug is só telling of the overall patch love this game has gotten over the past year. It's always late, insufficient or introduces a slew of new issues.

System Name Budget++
Display(s) BenQ XL2411Z
Audio Device(s) NaN
Benchmark Scores 0/10
So, you were, like me, one of the gazillion players standing on that perch waiting for some odd bird to spawn?
Actually no, I was in some dungeon, and you were supposed to hit a lever of some sort.
But the lever wasn't clickable, or operational. Nothing happened, and you had no option to do anything with the lever.
At that time, there was probably a 50 people or more at that location, just standing there since there was no other missions to do, and you had to do that quest to continue.

After reading about the bug, I just gave up the game completely :laugh:

Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
Ah yes, but there were tons of those issues. And they all had the same underlying bug: 'instancing'. The whole megaserver concept completely destroyed a whole bunch of quests, destroyed proper grouping, destroyed Cyrodiil for a long time...

Mind you this is now fixed :)

System Name Budget++
Display(s) BenQ XL2411Z
Audio Device(s) NaN
Benchmark Scores 0/10
If they have managed to resolve those issues, the game might be worth looking into again.
Especially now, when they have removed the monthly fee

Urlyin

I still do pencil mods
I liked the beta but wasn't ready to pay a subscription fee... I wonder if the toon I created is still there, I would play some free online...

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
Me and Justice played for quite some time. Enjoyed my time (before my account got locked out and my key revoked because it was apparently obtained illegally. Serves me right buying games off ebay).

We didn't get massively far, I'd say for some races the first ~8 levels are super boring. Once you hit lvl 10+ and start pushing around the crafting, getting a bajillion sidequests, it's actually reasonably fun.

I wouldn't mistake it for a true MMO though. The game is more singleplayer orientated for a lot of quests. Yes there is a fair amount of multiplayer, but PUGs (Pick up groups of random people doing random dungeons) aren't really a thing any more. If you enjoy a bit of solo play in a freaking HUGE world, then I think you'd enjoy it. If you're more of a WoW/GW style player who wants actual full on multiplayer, I'd give it a miss.
Without Justice, I think I'd have given up reasonably soon without other players to play with.

Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
I liked the beta but wasn't ready to pay a subscription fee... I wonder if the toon I created is still there, I would play some free online...

Beta characters have been deleted, no luck there.

Me and Justice played for quite some time. Enjoyed my time (before my account got locked out and my key revoked because it was apparently obtained illegally. Serves me right buying games off ebay).

We didn't get massively far, I'd say for some races the first ~8 levels are super boring. Once you hit lvl 10+ and start pushing around the crafting, getting a bajillion sidequests, it's actually reasonably fun.

I wouldn't mistake it for a true MMO though. The game is more singleplayer orientated for a lot of quests. Yes there is a fair amount of multiplayer, but PUGs (Pick up groups of random people doing random dungeons) aren't really a thing any more. If you enjoy a bit of solo play in a freaking HUGE world, then I think you'd enjoy it. If you're more of a WoW/GW style player who wants actual full on multiplayer, I'd give it a miss.
Without Justice, I think I'd have given up reasonably soon without other players to play with.

Precisely my experience. I did play the game as a single player game until I hit Veteran Ranks and it actually works quite well that way, even though it is weird seeing other players spawn around you in choke points through a quest when you play with this attitude. The variety in builds and the freedom it offers to go along with this solo experience also works great. But then you hit VR and the game becomes a grind and all those cool builds no longer work anymore, so you get shoved into a cookie cutter build to progress, and progress is SLOW.

Ahhzz

Staff member
System Name OrangeHaze / Silence
Processor i7-13700KF / i5-10400 /
Motherboard ROG STRIX Z690-E / MSI Z490 A-Pro Motherboard
Cooling Corsair H75 / TT ToughAir 510
Memory 64Gb GSkill Trident Z5 / 32GB Team Dark Za 3600
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2070 / Sapphire R9 290 Vapor-X 4Gb
Storage Hynix Plat P41 2Tb\Samsung MZVL21 1Tb / Samsung 980 Pro 1Tb
Display(s) 22" Dell Wide/24" Asus
Case Lian Li PC-101 ATX custom mod / Antec Lanboy Air Black & Blue
Audio Device(s) SB Audigy 7.1
Power Supply Corsair Enthusiast TX750
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed Wireless / Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum
Keyboard K68 RGB — CHERRY® MX Red
Software Win10 Pro \ RIP:Win 7 Ult 64 bit

Precisely my experience. I did play the game as a single player game until I hit Veteran Ranks and it actually works quite well that way, even though it is weird seeing other players spawn around you in choke points through a quest when you play with this attitude. The variety in builds and the freedom it offers to go along with this solo experience also works great. But then you hit VR and the game becomes a grind and all those cool builds no longer work anymore, so you get shoved into a cookie cutter build to progress, and progress is SLOW.

I hate cookie cutter builds.... I don't mind checking out the basics, or like I did in WoW, getting a pattern as hunter, but I always played my hunter the way I wanted to play my hunter. And I was good. I was raid leader for a long time, and still managed to be solid DPS when needed, and while I couldn't lead on my healer (even right before I "retired", I would still catch myself holding my breath during hard battles while healing), I was a solid healer as well. I don't mind checking out the lanterns set out along the path, but I like to find my own way to the end.

System Name Jaffakeik
Processor I9 12900K
Motherboard MSI Pro B660M-A WIFI DDR4
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II High Performance CPU Water cooler- 240mm
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX Black 32GB (2x16GB) 3600
Video Card(s) 7900XTX gigabyte OC edition
Storage WD Black SN770 1TB SSD M.2 2280 NVME x2
Display(s) TV LG C2
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2 Full Tower Case Tempered
Audio Device(s) Mother board + Sennhiser HD650+ Elgato wave xlr + shure SM7B
Power Supply EVGA 1600w G+
Mouse Glorious Model 0
Keyboard Corsair RBG mini K65 + Steelseries Apex150
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores over 9000
I played for some time just before it went f2p, actually there was lacking players for low level dungeons and was hard to find ppl to play with not sure if it changed now.

System Name Widow
Processor Ryzen 7600x
Mouse Razer Naga 2014
Software Windows 11 Pro

Thanks however that doesn't work any more.

I played for some time just before it went f2p, actually there was lacking players for low level dungeons and was hard to find ppl to play with not sure if it changed now.

Definitely not lacking people at the lower level -at least not as much as I thought it would. VR system however is designed to encourage people to only play one character, so when you go to other alliance areas and level up 'low levels,' it becomes a bit weird.

You kinda did give up!

Your issue is unfortunately not having enough time to do any thing more than quest grind for a few hours. But there's a lot more that unfolds if you just meander about doing various things.

If you get another copy you'll have to give me a schedule when you're free, and make an EB character.

That's how I also felt about FFXIV : ARR. It was very quest driven, there were no mobs to grind on (although actually in ESO while you can't EverQuest mob grind with 'pulls,' you can grind mobs in some areas for decent experience) and the things you did group on were very anonymous - you'd never see the people again.

But the crafting was great, the world was pretty and I like some FF lore.

I know ESO will happen that way for me, it's inevitable but until TES VI comes out, ESO and Skyrim give me my TES fixes.

Velious expansion launches on Project 1999 in August, so I have a feeling that I'll be back on EQ quite a bit and doing ESO crafting while others catch up.

Last edited:
System Name Widow
Processor Ryzen 7600x
Mouse Razer Naga 2014
Software Windows 11 Pro
Haha..

"This message is to inform you that your forum account for The Elder Scrolls Online has been permanently closed due to activity that violated our forum Code of Conduct. As stated in our Code of Conduct:
Bashing and Slanderous Comments: We do not permit the bashing of individuals (including ZeniMax employees), groups, or other companies on our forums. We believe that doing so is neither constructive nor in spirit of our game and community.
The content that led to the closure of your forum account included the following:"

"Thank you Zenimax, for reminding us how sixteen year old games like EQ and UO, with tiny budgets manage to outlive and will continue to outlive your foray into the MMO marketplace."

This is what I get for injecting humor into a conversation titled 'Thank you Zenimax...'

brandonwh64

Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!
I played the beta and hated it but the full release is WAY batter than beta.

Processor Intel i5-6600
Motherboard ASRock H170M-ITX
Cooling Cooler Master Geminii S524
Memory G.Skill DDR4-2133 16GB (8GB x 2)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte R9-380X 4GB
Storage Samsung 950 EVO 250GB (mSATA)
Display(s) LG 29UM69G-B 2560x1080 IPS
Case Lian Li PC-Q25
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC892
Power Supply Seasonic SS-460FL2
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech G110
Software Windows 10 Pro
Not bad, came back to 42,000G in my mail for participation and winning the campaign I was in. Only played two months and back then they were all 90-day.

I see they switched it up, which is good. Four vet and 1 non-vet of various lengths is a nice change.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!

Huh, this actually makes it sound interesting.

What's the difference between the standard version (€28) and Tamriel Unlimited (€43)?

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
Huh, this actually makes it sound interesting.

What's the difference between the standard version (€28) and Tamriel Unlimited (€43)?

You have to get Tamriel Unlimited. I don't know why people are still selling standard. TU is the update that went live when it went Buy2Play

System Name Widow
Processor Ryzen 7600x
Mouse Razer Naga 2014
Software Windows 11 Pro
You have to get Tamriel Unlimited. I don't know why people are still selling standard. TU is the update that went live when it went Buy2Play

If you were to buy an 'older' pre Tamriel Unlimited edition, it still works.
And in fact that's a good way to save some money. If it's a non collector's edition pre TU copy, I am certain it will be cheaper than it's TU counterpart.