• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Microsoft Reveals Windows 10 Variants

Microsoft has publicly stated that

A) Windows 10 will be a free upgrade during the first year.
B) Windows 10 will be a one-time purchase after the first year.
C) Windows 10 will be kept up to date at no additional charge.
D) Windows 10 will be the last version of Windows, and will be updated indefinitely.

Windows-as-a-service means that they will no longer be releasing full versions as they have in the past.
There is no subscription

Source: https://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/01/21/the-next-generation-of-windows-windows-10/
Source 2: http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/05/13/introducing-windows-10-editions/
Source 3: https://twitter.com/GabeAul/status/597991090378113025

The F.U.D. stops here.

Last edited:

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Dell 27 inch 1440p 144 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10

D) Windows 10 will be the last version of Windows, and will be updated indefinitely.

Windows-as-a-service means that they will no longer be releasing full versions as they have in the past.
There is no subscription

Source: https://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/01/21/the-next-generation-of-windows-windows-10/
Source 2: http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/05/13/introducing-windows-10-editions/

The F.U.D. stops here.

So you believe that MS will keep Win 10 up to date indefinitely for no additional profit? I don't think MS has become a charity. They will find a way to create a revenue stream.

So you believe that MS will keep Win 10 up to date indefinitely for no additional profit? I don't think MS has become a charity. They will find a way to create a revenue stream.

They will do what Apple does and charge for updates.

BSOD - Blue Screen Of Debt.

Please choose payment option to restore your last working session. $$$

They make money on every new pc that installs a new copy of Windows on it, they will make money on all new copies of Windows sold after the first year, and they have Office, lots of developer/enterprise software, Xbox, etc.

Windows doesn't need to be their cash cow anymore, they've recognized that they'll end up making more money by keeping it up to date and building their install base.

Satya Nadella's Microsoft is a totally different company. Just take a look at all the momentum they're building in Open Source. That was 100% unheard of under Gates and Ballmer. Windows with free rolling releases was unheard of too, but it IS happening.

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
Their whole ploy is marketing, get the product out to as many people as possible, then launch in your face advertising for the APP store to promote sales.
As an aside, they will not allow developers or others to sell through their APP store, so all profits remain their.
They are once again trying to create a closed market.

System Name micropage7
Processor Intel Xeon X3470
Motherboard Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. P55A-UD3R (Socket 1156)
Cooling Enermax ETS-T40F
Memory Samsung 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3
Video Card(s) NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800
Storage V-GEN03AS18EU120GB, Seagate 2 x 1TB and Seagate 4TB
Display(s) Samsung 21 inch LCD Wide Screen
Case Icute Super 18
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte
Power Supply Silverstone 600 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Sades Excalibur + Taihao keycaps
Software Win 7 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Classified
why suddenly i feel the previous windows is better at it
why dont they make it simple for people

and they like wanna push the market to follow their way, remember when win 8 MS said that its better with tiles and we see now MS bring the start menu back
could be this time MS would act the same, test the water and see it works or not

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Dell 27 inch 1440p 144 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
Their whole ploy is marketing, get the product out to as many people as possible, then launch in your face advertising for the APP store to promote sales.
As an aside, they will not allow developers or others to sell through their APP store, so all profits remain their.
They are once again trying to create a closed market.

I'm thinking they will either slap a sub on Win 10 or continue slowly down the path of making Win 10 a walled garden over a period of time. That's what Gabe Newell feared and started development of SteamOS.

For those that think that MS is in any way worried about their install base just ask yourself where else can you turn to anyway no matter what MS does. Most people don't use Apple at work except for the ipad as a mobile accessory. They've got around 90% of the PC OS market last time I checked. If you're a gamer then you need MS too.

This is the same company that wanted to make the Xbox One always online and force you to pay $100 more for Kinect whether you wanted it or not. The Xbox One was $100 more expensive at release than the superior PS4 console.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
I'm thinking they will either slap a sub on Win 10 or continue slowly down the path of making Win 10 a walled garden over a period of time. That's what Gabe Newell feared and started development of SteamOS.

I completely agree with both you and with Gabe's analysis of W8 when it was released. The design and capability are there. I do see the day coming when if you didn't buy a casual arcade game from the app store, or a Microsoft Studios Game, you will not be gaing on Windows. Entirely possible and plausible.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!

Wasn't it already a walled garden from the gaming perspective (DirectX)?

It being totally locked down would be bad, but the idea of an app store is great, and for some reason people think app store = walled garden. What does even Linux have that MS doesn't? App stores (because that is exactly what the packet managers in Linux is, but much worse from a user perspective). Now the internet is awash with terrible programs (not to mention malware/adware) because people have no idea where to turn to get their precious SYSTEMBOOOOOSTEERSRSS. With a moderated app store much of this is not a problem anymore.

but the idea of an app store is great, and for some reason people think app store = walled garden. What does even Linux have that MS doesn't?
Because of walled garden called Google Play Store people including me have very bad opinion, sure Linux also has package managers but you can also get all the applications from your browser and install them through terminal. You can't even download free apps from Google Play Store without signing in. If someone complains about piracy on Android it is their own fault for using only Google Play Store to distribute their content. I just do not use Google Play Store and that means if I can't download it from developers website I will pirate it because it is the only way.
Now the internet is awash with terrible programs (not to mention malware/adware) because people have no idea where to turn to get their precious SYSTEMBOOOOOSTEERSRSS
This is no excuse for apps stores, you only further dumb the people down who can't go to Wikipedia or some trusted site to get the link to original developer's website or to safe website with applications like Softpedia.
And you do not need system boosters, you only have to use programs like CCleaner and know how to manage services and most importantly you have to use settings in programs to change program behaviour.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Mouse Logitech G602
Software Windows 10 Pro
Because of walled garden called Google Play Store people including me have very bad opinion, sure Linux also has package managers but you can also get all the applications from your browser and install them through terminal. You can't even download free apps from Google Play Store without signing in. If someone complains about piracy on Android it is their own fault for using only Google Play Store to distribute their content. I just do not use Google Play Store and that means if I can't download it from developers website I will pirate it because it is the only way.

Don't use android then (and yes I know Android and Google services are two different things but at this point the former is pretty much useless without the latter). And they should complain about piracy, it's like pirating Netflix shows because you don't like Netflix.

This is no excuse for apps stores, you only further dumb the people down who can't go to Wikipedia or some trusted site to get the link to original developer's website or to safe website with applications like Softpedia.
And you do not need system boosters, you only have to use programs like CCleaner and know how to manage services and most importantly you have to use settings in programs to change program behaviour.

It is the best excuse for app stores, for the reason I gave. You are not like most people. Most people will install whatever the ads tell them to install, and they will install several of them just because. I know a bunch of people who just cannot get into their heads that they don't have to run several registry cleaners and defrag tools all the time, and even if I carefully explain how and why it is in fact harmful, they still revert to old behaviours seconds later. All of this will not go away, but a moderated app store might put a dent into the sea of trash that people are using, and in some cases even buying. Now they randomly google whatever it is they think they need and in many, many cases the advice offered on Yahoo answers or whatever is downright wasteful. Why do people get crapware on their systems? Because they install random programs without reading anything. Again, a moderated app store (maybe even powererd by ads so the devs don't have to include shit, I rather have people having ad powered apps than installing crap that highjacks their browsers) could be an answer. Either that, or crossing our fingers and hoping people will simply behave better and smarter, but we both know that isn't happening.

Now, obviously an app store shouldn't be the only way to do things, but IMO it should very well be the main way, from a user perspective. In a perfect world we wouldn't even have GUI's because we'd all be Unix-gurus, wars wouldn't exist, software and beer would flow freely and a google would be a person wearing goggles. In the real world, software makers put Conduit with their installers.

System Name ICE-QUAD // ICE-CRUNCH
Processor Q6600 // 2x Xeon 5472
Memory 2GB DDR // 8GB FB-DIMM
Video Card(s) HD3850-AGP // FireGL 3400
Display(s) 2 x Samsung 204Ts = 3200x1200
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2
Software Windows Server 2003 R2 as a Workstation now migrated to W10 with regrets.
Windows as a service? That will push me one more inch toward OSX.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Windows as a service? That will push me one more inch toward OSX.

Unfortunately, it will leave it down to a choice and they know it: Take our subscription and get direct X 12, or stay on whatever you're on and be stuck with old games at DirectX 11 forever.

System Name Media PC
Processor Intel Core-i5 4460
Motherboard Asus H97i plus
Cooling Noctua LH-9i with upgraded NF-A9, x2 Noctua NF-F12
Memory 8GB x2 Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz kit
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Super clocked GTX970 itx
Storage 1TB western digital black 2.5"
Display(s) Samsung 55" Plasma
Case Fractal Design Node 202
Audio Device(s) Onboard DSP, sound forwarded to Onkyo receiver in 2.1 mode
Power Supply Fractal Design 430w itx PSU
Mouse Logitech Wireless gaming mouse
Keyboard Logitech Wireless, Xbox One S controller
Software Windows 10 pro

There is no subscription

The F.U.D. stops here.

Indeed! I’m getting sick and tired of all these tin foil hat wearing loonies thinking that the end is nigh because of Microsoft says Windows is a service. Get a grip people!

No, they’ll charge you anytime you install Windows on a new PC or device. What many of you are failing to realize here is that the industry is moving more and more to disposable mobile devices. These devices only have a life of two maybe three years before most consumers purchase their next upgrade. I actually like the idea of Microsoft doing away with versioning and just continually updating and refining the product that’s in place.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
No, they’ll charge you anytime you install Windows on a new PC or device. What many of you are failing to realize here is that the industry is moving more and more to disposable mobile devices. These devices only have a life of two maybe three years before most consumers purchase their next upgrade. I actually like the idea of Microsoft doing away with versioning and just continually updating and refining the product that’s in place.

If they don't allow reinstalls on existing hardware, that's nearly as bad.

It's also bad when you attempt to define a "PC." Because is my PC the same PC it was 5 years ago? Same case, but pretty much same nothing else. And I sure as hell don't think I should have to pay for a software upgrade when all I do is upgrade my hardware.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Mouse Logitech G602
Software Windows 10 Pro
If they don't allow reinstalls on existing hardware, that's nearly as bad.

It's also bad when you attempt to define a "PC." Because is my PC the same PC it was 5 years ago? Same case, but pretty much same nothing else. And I sure as hell don't think I should have to pay for a software upgrade when all I do is upgrade my hardware.

It would be interesting to gain some insight in how they define it these days (or maybe they don't as there were no retail version of Windows 8.1 as such). In the past it was tied to the hardware ID, and changing different components changed it differently, and when it changed enough it meant it was counted as a new PC, and as components moved onto the motherboard it usually practially meant new motherboard=new PC (for some reason network cards counted a lot for the HID). At least that's how I remember it from the time at MS tech support.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
I guess I'm old school... But if it's the same machine and the license isn't installed somewhere else, I don't see any justification for it somehow vaporizing and requiring a repurchase.

MS is pulling out all of the stops to get us all on Win 10. They will be installing Candy Crush with Win 10. :p

Waiting to hear what MS thinks is a fair price for the sub but if it's no more than $25 a year then I'm ok with it if the OS costs nothing to buy. I spend that buying every other version of MS anyway. They are saying that they will continue making additions to the OS so there's some value in that. I think the people that are going to feel screwed over are the ones that will have to buy the OS and pay the sub too. Most PCs come from the manufacturer with the OS already accounted for in the price of the PC so the majority would have no choice but to pay for it and the sub when buying a new computer if MS does charge for the OS after the first year.

There is no subscription to Windows, period!

They will do what Apple does and charge for updates.

BSOD - Blue Screen Of Debt.

Please choose payment option to restore your last working session. $$$

Either you are being sarcastic or have never worked on a MAC before, I am just not sure which. Apple does not charge for updates on their MAC's. However, they do tend to dump support for the OS's faster than Microsoft does.

System Name Echo
Processor Intel Core I5-6500
Motherboard Asrock H170-PRO4S
Cooling Stock cooler
Memory 2x8 GB Crucial DDR4 2133MHz CL16 (CT2K8G4DFD8213)
Video Card(s) Integrated (For the moment)
Storage SSD A-DATA Premier Pro SP920 (2.5, SATA3, 256GB MLC,) (ASP920SS3-256GM-C)
Display(s) Philips Brilliance 220SW
Case Zalman Z3 Plus
Audio Device(s) Integrated
Power Supply CoolerMaster V550S (550w, 80+Gold)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Processor FX6350@4.2ghz-i54670k@4ghz
Video Card(s) HD7850-R9290
it doesnt say anything about a initial fee.. what if you buy a year and you get windows or if you buy a month your prob on a budget so maybe 20 bucks or something. im sure prebuilts would come with like a year.
i think it could end up being good

Processor Intel® Core™ i7-13700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 32GB(2x16) DDR5@6600MHz G-Skill Trident Z5
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 AMP Holo
Storage 2TB SK Platinum P41 SSD + 4TB SanDisk Ultra SSD + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 3440x1440@100Hz G-Sync
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech Hero G502 SE
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64bit
Benchmark Scores 30FPS in NFS:Rivals
Well that makes it very clear. At least MS actually answered in plain language so there can be no misunderstanding.
Not really.
How about this:
"Once a qualified Windows device is upgraded to Windows 10, we will continue to keep it up to date for the supported lifetime of the device..."
If is my PC, what device are we talking about?? I upgrade my PC from time, so basically stuff always change inside it. Again, the same question I've asked before and still no clear answer.

Processor 5900x
Motherboard MSI MEG UNIFY
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer 2 360mm
Memory 4x8GB 3600c16 Ballistix
Video Card(s) EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra
Storage 1TB SX8200 Pro, 2TB SanDisk Ultra 3D, 6TB WD Red Pro
Display(s) Acer XV272U
Case Fractal Design Meshify 2
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard Ducky One 2
I'm a bit suspicious that 10 will be the last windows, and that they would update it forever.

However, as long as I can upgrade my current 8.2 machine to 10 and not worry about subscriptions I'll be happy. I'll walk the other bridges as we come to them.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
It won't be. WDDM 3.0 comes out and they'll have to do a major update to Windows that will potentially break compatibility. Incrementing the version number is traditionally how they solved that. If it is true, it probably just means they are abandoning the name "Windows" just as they abandoned "Internet Explorer." You know, rebranding...