• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Doesn't Trust its Own Processors - Project Quantum Driven by Intel Core i7-4790K

System Name Money Hole
Processor Core i7 970
Motherboard Asus P6T6 WS Revolution
Cooling Noctua UH-D14
Memory 2133Mhz 12GB (3x4GB) Mushkin 998991
Video Card(s) Sapphire Tri-X OC R9 290X
Storage Samsung 1TB 850 Evo
Display(s) 3x Acer KG240A 144hz
Case CM HAF 932
Audio Device(s) ADI (onboard)
Power Supply Enermax Revolution 85+ 1050w
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G710+
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
Did AMD design this or did AMD have someone else design this for them?

Sounds like Kitguru could possibly have some salty squirrel tears going on. The fact that they mention the Mac Pro at the bottom of the article is also suggestive of such a premise. Maybe just a coincidence? In either case to state, as this article does, that AMD does not trust it's own processors is blatantly obvious that this (TPU) article is either click-bait or disinformation (for what ever reason). Especially since not even Kitguru jumped to such a subjective conclusion in their article.

As an aside, the amount of anti AMD rhetoric coming out of TPU staff lately is a little disturbing. There were no editorials about the GTX 970 memory deal that were stating that nVidia was trying to take advantage of the customer. There have been no editorials about Intel being incompetent with falling behind their tick-tock schedule. Yet, when there might be a hint of the smallest of inconsequential things (like 6 months since last official driver, really?), there seems to be something that comes out of the "news" department lately from TPU about AMD being incompetent which usually turns out to be either a misleading title, click-bait, or a blatant lie without effort put in to check the facts.

The amount of integrity that seems to have been thrown out the window lately here is more than a bit disturbing.

System Name schweinestalle
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700 X
Motherboard Asus Prime - Pro X 570 + Asus PCI -E AC68 Dual Band Wi-Fi Adapter
Cooling Standard Air
Memory Kingston HyperX 2 x 16 gb DDR 4 3200mhz
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 5700 XT 8 GB Strix
Storage Intel SSD 240 gb Speed Demon & WD 240 SSD Blue & WD 250 SSD & WD Green 500gb SSD & Seagate 1 TB Sata
Display(s) Asus XG 32 V ROG
Case Corsair AIR ATX
Audio Device(s) Realtech standard
Power Supply Corsair 850 Modular
Mouse CM Havoc
Keyboard Corsair Cherry Mechanical
Software Win 10
Benchmark Scores Unigine_Superposition 4K ultra 7582
the amd family can not get the bs fed to some of you guys fast enough....it's ok to put a chevy motor in the new mustang.

you ran it on your competitors hardware??????????????? that's never ok no matter what you guys say

Seriously a cpu is in $AUS dollars is a $400.00 purchase , and making a reference to a classic FORD vs GM vs Dodge war, is a $65,000.00 purchase and entirely in a different garage in my opinion, come on man ......lol
and yeah we have our FORD vs GMH war too .

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Processor Rocket Lake Core i5 11600K @ 5 Ghz with PL tweaks
Motherboard MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120SE + 4 Phanteks 140mm case fans
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB SR) Patriot Viper Steel 4133Mhz DDR4 @ 3600Mhz CL14@1.45v Gear 1
Video Card(s) Asus Dual RTX 4070 OC
Storage WD Blue SN550 1TB M.2 NVME//Crucial MX500 500GB SSD (OS)
Display(s) AOC Q2781PQ 27 inch Ultra Slim 2560 x 1440 IPS
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Windowed - Gunmetal
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC1200/SPDIF to Sony AVR @ 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM650w Gold Semi modular
Mouse Coolermaster Storm Octane wired
Keyboard Element Gaming Carbon Mk2 Tournament Mech
Software Win 10 Home x64
Did AMD design this or did AMD have someone else design this for them?

Sounds like Kitguru could possibly have some salty squirrel tears going on. The fact that they mention the Mac Pro at the bottom of the article is also suggestive of such a premise. Maybe just a coincidence? In either case to state, as this article does, that AMD does not trust it's own processors is blatantly obvious that this (TPU) article is either click-bait or disinformation (for what ever reason). Especially since not even Kitguru jumped to such a subjective conclusion in their article.

As an aside, the amount of anti AMD rhetoric coming out of TPU staff lately is a little disturbing. There were no editorials about the GTX 970 memory deal that were stating that nVidia was trying to take advantage of the customer. There have been no editorials about Intel being incompetent with falling behind their tick-tock schedule. Yet, when there might be a hint of the smallest of inconsequential things (like 6 months since last official driver, really?), there seems to be something that comes out of the "news" department lately from TPU about AMD being incompetent which usually turns out to be either a misleading title, click-bait, or a blatant lie without effort put in to check the facts.

The amount of integrity that seems to have been thrown out the window lately here is more than a bit disturbing.
I don't know about editorials specifically but there were/are several news articles posted here about the situation with regard to the 3.5 v 4.0GB Vram, none that I can see came out in support of NVidia's position?

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
Newsfelch!

TPU is not Reuters.

The only thing going downhill is the forum members sense of irony, humour and critical analysis of their own preferred brands.
In fact, its worrying that an editor can't post an emotive title without cry babies screaming blue murder.

It's a tech site, not Panorama.

System Name Thought I'd be done with this by now
Processor i7 11700k 8/16
Motherboard MSI Z590 Pro Wifi
Cooling Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4, 9x aigo AR12
Memory 32GB GSkill TridentZ Neo DDR4-4000 CL18-22-22-42
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 2x Geforce RTX 3070
Storage 1TB MX300 M.2 OS + Games, + cloud mostly
Display(s) Samsung 40" 4k (TV)
Case Lian Li PC-011 Dynamic EVO Black
Audio Device(s) onboard HD -> Yamaha 5.1
Power Supply EVGA 850 GQ
Mouse Logitech wireless
Keyboard same
VR HMD nah
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores no one cares anymore lols
you know between the new R9 rebadge, this cpu controversy, and the HBM based Fury cards I think I've seen more news and mention of AMD in the past 5 weeks than I've seen in the past 10 years. I'm not even talking about tech sites whose business revolve around hardware. AMD has been showing up on yahoo, msn, forbes, and etc. Ok maybe its not the bbc and cnn but hey it's way better than it has been.

Is it just me or are all these controversies a huge boon for AMD? The stock is on the rise whereas earlier this quarter it looked like they could be on their way to be de-listed. I've never seen so much buzz about a new amd product when it comes to Fury and it seems like zen might just get the same attention should this cpu controversy continue.

This has to be the most brilliant marketing scheme in AMD's history.

System Name Cyberline
Processor Intel Core i7 2600k -> 12600k
Motherboard Asus P8P67 LE Rev 3.0 -> Gigabyte Z690 Auros Elite DDR4
Cooling Tuniq Tower 120 -> Custom Watercoolingloop
Memory Corsair (4x2) 8gb 1600mhz -> Crucial (8x2) 16gb 3600mhz
Video Card(s) AMD RX480 -> RX7800XT
Storage Samsung 750 Evo 250gb SSD + WD 1tb x 2 + WD 2tb -> 2tb MVMe SSD
Display(s) Philips 32inch LPF5605H (television) -> Dell S3220DGF
Case antec 600 -> Thermaltake Tenor HTCP case
Audio Device(s) Focusrite 2i4 (USB)
Power Supply Seasonic 620watt 80+ Platinum
Mouse Elecom EX-G
Keyboard Rapoo V700
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
Yeah I can see you have an Intel CPU and AMD GPU's just like the system we talk about here. That just means you don't trust AMD Processors either. :D So relax, there's nothing wrong with that...

You cannot possibly be this stupid, by your logic everything you do not use in one pc at that time is something you dont "trust"?
So if you are using Corsair memory now, that means you dont trust Crucial, ADATA, Kingston, Mushkin etc?
Can I drag that logic even further, the car brand you or your family is driving now is the only one you will ever have because its clearly the only one you trust because thats the brand you are using right now?

I mean seriously.....

nothing sensational about this title - it states facts... if AMD would trust that their own CPU would not botleneck - then they would put it in their little prtoject... at least AMD has more common sense than their fans (who hapen to be very upset about title, but not so much about the fact that AMD knows that AMD CPU is bottleneck).

Trust is not a fact, its an emotion.
Trust makes no sense here, they know it would bottleneck, you cannot just hope for a cpu to do better then it does, its 0's and 1's not "oh if I just cheer it on it will go faster".
They KNOW that their current cpu lineup is not fast enough to get most out of what they are demoing, their new gpu's.
Again there is nothing wrong with saying "Project Quantum is powered by an Intel 4970k", but saying its because AMD does not "trust" their own hardware? that again makes A no sense and B yeah is very much sensationalist.

System Name 3 desktop systems: Gaming / Internet / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5 5500 / Ryzen 5 4600G / FX 6300 (12 years latter got to see how bad Bulldozer is)
Motherboard MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (1) / MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (2) / Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3
Cooling Νoctua U12S / Segotep T4 / Snowman M-T6
Memory 16GB G.Skill RIPJAWS 3600 / 16GB G.Skill Aegis 3200 / 16GB Kingston 2400MHz (DDR3)
Video Card(s) ASRock RX 6600 + GT 710 (PhysX)/ Vega 7 integrated / Radeon RX 580
Storage NVMes, NVMes everywhere / NVMes, more NVMes / Various storage, SATA SSD mostly
Display(s) Philips 43PUS8857/12 UHD TV (120Hz, HDR, FreeSync Premium) ---- 19'' HP monitor + BlitzWolf BW-V5
Case Sharkoon Rebel 12 / Sharkoon Rebel 9 / Xigmatek Midguard
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Chieftec 850W / Silver Power 400W / Sharkoon 650W
Mouse CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / Coolermaster Devastator / Logitech
Keyboard CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / Coolermaster Devastator / Logitech
Software Windows 10 / Windows 10 / Windows 7
(like 6 months since last official driver, really?), there seems to be something that comes out of the "news" department lately from TPU about AMD being incompetent which usually turns out to be either a misleading title, click-bait, or a blatant lie without effort put in to check the facts.

It could be something more. Many sites took that article about the driver updates and made news out of it. You know, when a personal opinion gets on the first page of a big site like TPU, other sites that just grab TPU's articles for their own first pages, don't always manage to distinguish between real news, an editorial, or even a plain post, like the millions posts people are doing all over the internet every day.

So a personal opinion of one person in the first page of TPU, instantly becomes news.

The info about the Intel CPU is know for 5 days now if not more. But no one really cared enough to make a fuss out of it. So, what if the title is NOT a click bait for us, who post in here. What if this title is a bait for all the other sites? Many sites will also copy the above title doing someone's marketing work for free.

Just an opinion of course. A few conspiracy theories.

System Name Cyberline
Mouse Elecom EX-G
Keyboard Rapoo V700
Newsfelch!

TPU is not Reuters.

The only thing going downhill is the forum members sense of irony, humour and critical analysis of their own preferred brands.
In fact, its worrying that an editor can't post an emotive title without cry babies screaming blue murder.

It's a tech site, not Panorama.

Its a tech site, not a gossip magazine.
On a tech site you post Tech news, not Tech news + personal opinion.

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Its a tech site, not a gossip magazine.
On a tech site you post Tech news, not Tech news + personal opinion.

I've made around 15,000 newsposts on this site. At this point, I can wipe my behind with your opinion, without consequences. Post on the subject, or don't post.

System Name Eula
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 7900X PBO
Motherboard ASUS TUF Gaming X670E Plus Wifi
Cooling Corsair H115i Elite Capellix XT
Memory Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 64GB (4x16GB F5-6000J3038F16GX2-TZ5NR) EXPO II, OCCT Tested
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4080 GAMING OC
Storage Corsair MP600 XT NVMe 2TB, Samsung 980 Pro NVMe 2TB and Toshiba N300 NAS 10TB HDD
Display(s) 2X LG 27UL600 27in 4K HDR FreeSync/G-Sync DP
Case Phanteks Eclipse P500A D-RGB White
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster Z
Power Supply Corsair HX1000 Platinum 1000W
Mouse SteelSeries Prime Pro Gaming Mouse
Keyboard SteelSeries Apex 5
Software MS Windows 11 Pro
No it should be not free of any remarks. If AMD is using Intel processors in their own platform it should be yelled out loud like it is here. This is like NVIDIA releasing their next shield tablet and using an AMD GPU in it. :D What do you think the titles would be in car magazines if the next Ford Focus would use an Audi engine?!?
Stop being a hypocrite. I haven't seen you using NVIDIA's 386 CPU with their GPU. Read http://www.nvidia.com/page/uli_m6117c.html

System Name Cyberline
Mouse Elecom EX-G
Keyboard Rapoo V700
I've made around 15,000 newsposts on this site. At this point, I can wipe my behind with your opinion, without consequences. Post on the subject, or don't post.

Oh I have no doubt of your shall we say, "great powers".
And it quite evident you can't take criticism well (as to the wording used) but that is something you share with a lot of people to the point we can call it normal.
Regardless, I responded to a comment made by a user here, same as I am responding to you now as you responded to me (even though this was not directly directed at you but regardless)
I'm pretty sure that is allowed, I mean why else facilitate the users with a "reply" and even "multi quote" feature?

btarunr

Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Software Windows 11 Pro
I'm pretty sure that is allowed, I mean why else facilitate the users with a "reply" and even "multi quote" feature?

So they can post on the subject, and avoid getting banned.

System Name Cyberline
Mouse Elecom EX-G
Keyboard Rapoo V700
So they can post on the subject, and avoid getting banned.

Wait there is another way of replying to the subject and that one does get you banned?
Not aware of that but that also hardly is the case here, I just clicked that little reply button that shows up on the right side under the comment you posted, there is a "thanks" a "multi quote" and a "reply", the later of which I am using right now to reply to you.
Again seems odd to not be allowed to respond to other users comment yet facilitate us with said buttons that allow just that with intent.

Processor AMD R7 3800X EKWB
Motherboard Asus Tuf B450M-Pro µATX +MosfetWB (x2)
Cooling EKWB on CPU + GPU / Heatkiller 60/80 on Mosfets / Black Ice SR-1 240mm
Memory 2x8GB G.Skill DDR4 3200C14 @ ----
Video Card(s) Vega64 EKWB
Storage Samsung 512GB NVMe 3.0 x4 / Crucial P1 1TB NVMe 3.0 x2
Display(s) Asus ProArt 23" 1080p / Acer 27" 144Hz FreeSync IPS
Case Fractal Design Arc Mini R2
Power Supply SeaSonic 850W
Keyboard Ducky One TKL / MX Brown

I just hope AMD understands your wiping of your behind with their Brand Name thru this "News Article".
You might want to update the original post with the possibility that AMD might provide the Final Quantum Systems with a choice of either AMD or Intel CPU's?
It's just as correct as your original newspost, and it leaves some wiggle room.

btarunr

Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Software Windows 11 Pro
I just hope AMD understands your wiping of your behind with their Brand Name thru this "News Article".
You might want to update the original post with the possibility that AMD might provide the Final Quantum Systems with a choice of either AMD or Intel CPU's?
It's just as correct as your original newspost, and it leaves some wiggle room.

I'm gathering more such details, and will do another article tomorrow. I'm waiting on some communication on its graphics board design. Then we'll nip the bud on that together.

In a previous post I defended your right to post facts, under the badge of news. Facts are things that can be backed up with data.

I also suggested that there was some kernel of reason to your posts, as you posted that "Windows 8 is here to stay and everyone railing against is is wrong." Opinions can be wrong, as yours was with Windows 8. Despite this, it was just as valid as any other opinion.

At this point, I'd like to think I'm reasonably impartial. Unfortunately, that means you are suddenly full of crap.
1) The article title is not news, but click-bait. While the later half of the title is accurate, the former is conjecture and opinion. You've done nothing to prove that AMD lacks "trust," only that their prototype used an Intel CPU.
2) Your responses to this have basically been that your initial title was too severe, and then a defending your "fact" with the statement they used an Intel CPU.
3) Telling people that you can "wipe your behind with their opinion" means nothing. Volume of output is an interesting metric, but if you get to the point where your only rebuttal is to tell people to shut up and listen you've lost the argument.

Perhaps, for a moment, you can look at this critically. It's rather difficult to believe you've titled this article as such unless you either want click-bait, or have a deep desire to point out the perceived failings of AMD. Neither of these goals is entirely laudable, but the important fact is that neither of them are news. The reason you're getting more push-back than just fan boys is that Techpowerup generally shoots straight on issues; heck, W1zz is one of the most respectable peddlers of unbiased card reviews anywhere. When we can no longer trust the news here is unbiased then there have to be consequences. If you're incapable of either adequately proving your conjecture (honestly, there is no objective way to prove a lack of internal confidence as an outsider) or retracting it with some grace, then you've lost objectivity. If I can't trust your news to be factual, I don't care about anything else you write. We get enough spin from the news, we don't need any more from sites like TPU.

I'm gathering more such details, and will do another article tomorrow. I'm waiting on some communication on its graphics board design. Then we'll nip the bud on that together.

Cool :)
Looking forward to it.

System Name hijo de la chingada!
Processor fx-8150
Motherboard asus crosshair V
Cooling xigmatek small fri
Memory g skill sniper 1866
Video Card(s) visiontek 5850 long tooth
Storage a couple slow fat ones
Display(s) 2 one for tools one for "work"
Case shinobi fap black
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply one that works, CrazyEyes ;)
Software lots that i can color hello kitty with
Benchmark Scores before fx-8150 P13784 3DMarks
So much butt hurt in this thread.

You cannot possibly be this stupid

And the personal attacks start... I told you, chill, relax, fanboy. I'm having fun here, why you have to be mad? I'm sorry that no one, not even you, trusts AMD CPU's. But it's not my fault. Tell AMD to build better CPU's, maybe when they will launch their next platform they can use one of their own...

Stop being a hypocrite. I haven't seen you using NVIDIA's 386 CPU with their GPU. Read http://www.nvidia.com/page/uli_m6117c.html

No, I use Intel. Always have, always will. :laugh:

This is the greatest thread ever, tears so sweet, denial so strong it would make the midday sun disappear. :clap:

Last edited by a moderator:
It could have used its own processors, even if it's a lowly Godavari+A88X ITX; if this was just meant to be a proof-of-concept. It would have shown that AMD trusts its own creations

Isn't this just an early prototype? They could be using the Intel CPU to show it off because the AMD one isn't ready yet?
I've got to say I see no good reason for AMD needing to show this, waste the design resources, money and then no prestige (heck a backlash). All this comes across as a see what we could do/did! I just ask why spend time and money on this... now?

I might have said, fine AMD you’re going "all in" on a gaming machine based for platform longevity and cost effective production scaling, do it like a Xbox or P/S. Sure you’ve got one super wildly compact cooler layout and form-factor that’s innovative, sweet! Though, after that it amounts nothing more than a super fancy home ITX build from parts that are standard-shelf stuff. Costly and leaves it open to messing with it.

Had AMD said, we are working to design a mobo that had one large interposer, and on that that we'll package a special Godavari based CPU (the APU is only there to run low 3D non-gaming functions), then two Fiji's, and filled in around with 8-12Gb of HBM. Then all that memory shared between the CPU and GPU's that would've been something, even if it was just mock-up for proof of concept! Keep the chassis closed say it's a proof of concept for the chassis and cooling side and show the "innereds" with solid modeling of the mobo/interposer concept. You're not reveling performance for it at this point anyway, who gives a crap what's used to evaluate the cooling.

The strangest/stupidest was why revel an i7, sure perf/power/heat and Pci-E 16x, I get that; and you’ve got to give it to Intel, for 4K on Dx11 they offer best product, but we've been told... "the times they are a chang'in". Even though Intel was the right part, when AMD has been touting asynchronous shaders, and the value of optimizations for true multi-core CPU's, it make this even more stupid. The idea of using i7 together with what’s been AMD's foray in optimization of execution resources, low-level API, and hearing DX12 would work around such road blocks, this seems to be invalidated all that now.

Knowing this will almost assuredly run Win10/ Dx12, and while like the last 8mo AMD been telling us CPU overhead and poor multi-core command found in Dx11… AMD multi-core technology will provide benefits. So "even if not the best", working from a non-AMD base CPU to then hope to tout what AMD has supposedly been telling us... is the dumbest move.

The Executives and Board of AMD have been out to lunch for way to long. This is not like shooting yourself in the foot, it more akin to blowing one's knee off... it's stupid on so many levels. Sometime you just need learn to say NO!

System Name Indis the Fair (cursed edition)
Processor 11900k 5.1/4.9 undervolted.
Motherboard MSI Z590 Unify-X
Cooling Heatkiller VI Pro, VPP755 V.3, XSPC TX360 slim radiator, 3xA12x25, 4x Arctic P14 case fans
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 4000 16-19-19 (b-die@3600 14-14-14 1.45v)
Video Card(s) EVGA 2080 Super Hybrid (T30-120 fan)
Storage 970EVO 1TB, 660p 1TB, WD Blue 3D 1TB, Sandisk Ultra 3D 2TB
Display(s) BenQ XL2546K, Dell P2417H
Case FD Define 7
Audio Device(s) DT770 Pro, Topping A50, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, Røde VXLR+, Modmic 5
Power Supply Seasonic 860w Platinum
Mouse Razer Viper Mini, Odin Infinity mousepad
Keyboard GMMK Fullsize v2 (Boba U4Ts)
Software Win10 x64/Win7 x64/Ubuntu
Replying to first few comments...

Although it has been done, using FX CPUs in ITX boards is a stupid idea. Not because of the TDP, but rather the fact that you have to cramp both a NB and SB on the board. On top of that, the socket is clearly not designed to fit in such a small PCB.

And regardless, even if they made some custom form factor board specifically for the device, the CPU could still be a bottleneck when running at a reasonable power level. I don't think AMD should trust their FX processors on something like that, or any of their CMT architectures for that matter. What is silly is how the title is phrased in a way that makes it seem surprisingly bad and the article is written in a way that goes about putting FX in there as a completely viable option. They went with intel for a reason.

System Name Boomer Master Race
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7735HS APU
Motherboard BareBones Mini PC MB
Cooling Mini PC Cooling
Memory Crucial 32GB 4800MHz
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 680M 8GB IGPU
Storage Crucial 500GB M.2 SSD + 2TB Ext HDD
Display(s) Sony 4K Bravia X85J 43Inch TV 120Hz
Case Beelink Mini PC Chassis
Audio Device(s) Built In Realtek Digital Audio HD
Power Supply 120w Power Brick
Mouse Logitech G203 Lightsync
Keyboard Atrix RGB Slim Keyboard
VR HMD ( ◔ ʖ̯ ◔ )
Software Windows 10 Home 64bit
Benchmark Scores Don't do them anymore.
I've got to say I see no good reason for AMD needing to show this, waste the design resources, money and then no prestige (heck a backlash). All this comes across as a see what we could do/did! I just ask why spend time and money on this... now?

I might have said, fine AMD you’re going "all in" on a gaming machine based for platform longevity and cost effective production scaling, do it like a Xbox or P/S. Sure you’ve got one super wildly compact cooler layout and form-factor that’s innovative, sweet! Though, after that it amounts nothing more than a super fancy home ITX build from parts that are standard-shelf stuff. Costly and leaves it open to messing with it.

Had AMD said, we are working to design a mobo that had one large interposer, and on that that we'll package a special Godavari based CPU (the APU is only there to run low 3D non-gaming functions), then two Fiji's, and filled in around with 8-12Gb of HBM. Then all that memory shared between the CPU and GPU's that would've been something, even if it was just mock-up for proof of concept! Keep the chassis closed say it's a proof of concept for the chassis and cooling side and show the "innereds" with solid modeling of the mobo/interposer concept. You're not reveling performance for it at this point anyway, who gives a crap what's used to evaluate the cooling.

The strangest/stupidest was why revel an i7, sure perf/power/heat and Pci-E 16x, I get that; and you’ve got to give it to Intel, for 4K on Dx11 they offer best product, but we've been told... "the times they are a chang'in". Even though Intel was the right part, when AMD has been touting asynchronous shaders, and the value of optimizations for true multi-core CPU's, it make this even more stupid. The idea of using i7 together with what’s been AMD's foray in optimization of execution resources, low-level API, and hearing DX12 would work around such road blocks, this seems to be invalidated all that now.

Knowing this will almost assuredly run Win10/ Dx12, and while like the last 8mo AMD been telling us CPU overhead and poor multi-core command found in Dx11… AMD multi-core technology will provide benefits. So "even if not the best", working from a non-AMD base CPU to then hope to tout what AMD has supposedly been telling us... is the dumbest move.

The Executives and Board of AMD have been out to lunch for way to long. This is not like shooting yourself in the foot, it more akin to blowing one's knee off... it's stupid on so many levels. Sometime you just need learn to say NO!

Interposer the size of a Mobo....
You do realize that the current interposer size on Fiji is the Largest it can possibly be atm, due to the lithography process ?
This is a Prototype. They are not going to be showing off Zen Silicon a full year or so in advance.
Just about everyone knows that AMD CPU's are not up to scratch atm, and that the i5/i7 K series are the only option for a High-end gaming rig.

Whatever AMD had chosen, for some it will always be the wrong choice....ffs

System Name The Stone that the Builders Refused / iJayo
Processor R5 1600/ R7 3700X
Motherboard Asrock AB350 Pro4 / Asus Rog Strix B450-F gaming
Cooling Cryorig M9 / Noctua NH-D14
Memory G skill 16 Gigs ddr4 / 16 gigs PNY ddr4
Video Card(s) Nvdia GTX 660 / Nvidia RTX 2070 Super
Storage 120gig 840 evo, 120gig adata sp900 / 1tb Mushkin M.2 ssd 1 & 3 tb seagate hdd, 120 gig Hyper X ssd
Display(s) 42" Nec retail display monitor/ 34" Dell curved 165hz monitor
Case Pink Enermax Ostrog / Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Tempered Glass edition
Audio Device(s) Altec Lansing Expressionist Bass/ M-Audio monitors
Power Supply Corsair450 / Be Quiet Dark Power Pro 650
Mouse corsair vengence M65 / Zalman Knossos
Keyboard corsair k95 / Roccat Vulcan 121
Software Window 10 pro / Windows 10 pro
Benchmark Scores meh... feel me on the battle field!
......aaaaawwwww come on guys........this the best you can do?

2103919-human_torch_flame_on.png

Im sorry so many people are getting so upset ...but man i love new release time.....most fun I've had all day! THANKS GUYS!!!!!!

Last edited:
Interposer the size of a Mobo....
You do realize that the current interposer size on Fiji is the Largest it can possibly be atm, due to the lithography process ?
No it would be nowhere near as big a ITX mobo. While that what I expect of Tech find a way to "Get-r-Done" and start advancing interposer technology now, that's what HBM and smaller Nodes can do for us. I was just saying if you want to dream... Dream Big.