• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

OFFICIAL Project CARS (Discussion)

CAPSLOCKSTUCK

Spaced Out Lunar Tick
System Name Party On
Processor Xeon w 3520
Motherboard DFI Lanparty
Cooling Big tower thing
Memory 6 gb Ballistix Tracer
Video Card(s) HD 7970
Case a plank of wood
Audio Device(s) seperate amp and 6 big speakers
Power Supply Corsair
Mouse cheap
Keyboard under going restoration
Just paid £ 22.00, went for a spin......love it.

i havent played with settings much but i was getting a pretty solid 30 fps with my hd 6970 on the defaults it set
I like the feel of the game, having mostly played NFS shift 2 recently it compares very favourably, definitely going to get 22 quids worth of fun out it.

Anyone selling a HD 6970 for little old me to Xfire?

System Name Widow
Processor Ryzen 7600x
Motherboard AsRock B650 HDVM.2
Cooling CPU : Corsair Hydro XC7 }{ GPU: EK FC 1080 via Magicool 360 III PRO > Photon 170 (D5)
Memory 32GB Gskill Flare X5
Video Card(s) GTX 1080 TI
Storage Samsung 9series NVM 2TB and Rust
Display(s) Predator X34P/Tempest X270OC @ 120hz / LG W3000h
Case Fractal Define S [Antec Skeleton hanging in hall of fame]
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar Xense with AKG K612 cans on Monacor SA-100
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Razer Naga 2014
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores FFXIV ARR Benchmark 12,883 on i7 2600k 15,098 on AM5 7600x
Yeah I noticed the AI are not exactly SIM-like in this game. I was wondering if the AI are just worse on the Novice setting I'm using though, which defaults to 30% AI level. What % is your AI set to? Besides braking way too soon on tighter turns, I can usually hold a gradual turn faster than they can, even with sloppy steering on a keyboard. There are places like you said though where they seem to rail and get grip, while your car slips at the same speed.

Other AI quirks I find annoying is they'll radically swerve back and forth in front of you. At first I thought it was just pass blocking, but they'll also do it when you're quite a ways back. They typically do it when a pack of cars in front of them is slowing for a turn. It's like the AI behind can't calculate where to position themsleves to try and pass, so they'll momentarily get stuck in a swerving back and forth state.

My AI is on 90%. There's also a catch 22 with the difficulty spectrum and the AI behavior. As we agreed, they go fast in areas they shouldn't be able to, thus you try to keep up and spin out. If you lower the difficulty, they drive slower altogether. Which means when they go slow in areas they shouldn't, you're all over their backside even more than you would be normally due to their bad scripting.

I always do wonder if the swerving is them attempting to block - I thought the same of GRID: Autosport. But you may be right, it's probably just them putting the car onto the appropriate line for whatever position they are in at that moment. That looks awful, the transition from off racing line to on racing line by the AI is not smooth at all. They just instant correct themselves.

They'll also get too aggressive just for making a close pass without even contacting them. It's as if they ammassed all the personalities of banned racers to pattern this AI.

Haha

I take it you meant 15.5 instead of 15.4 though, since it's the only beta actually MADE for P CARS (and TW3)? I've yet to try 15.5, but with only 2-3 FPS increase reported for TW3 on a 7970, I'm not too inclined to try it. I get fairly good performance in P CARS on 14.12, and I don't want to risk other games having issues like bad flicker, since I'm playing The Evil Within as well currently, which is not exactly the most stable game.

Ah poop that just figures..I waited for ages to update, did 15.4 this past weekend.

Just paid £ 22.00, went for a spin......love it.

i havent played with settings much but i was getting a pretty solid 30 fps with my hd 6970 on the defaults it set
I like the feel of the game, having mostly played NFS shift 2 recently it compares very favourably, definitely going to get 22 quids worth of fun out it.

Anyone selling a HD 6970 for little old me to Xfire?
Did you play Shift 2 with the UCP(patch) and custom force feedback files?

Modded Shift 2 is still my favorite of all the semi-simulator games (and sometimes more so than the pure simulators). The amount of available cars, tracks, tweaks and mods is unmatched.
I am super disappointed in the lack of vehicles in C.A.R.S. and tracks as well. I was really looking forward to some Formula A around Monaco.

CAPSLOCKSTUCK

Spaced Out Lunar Tick
System Name Party On
Processor Xeon w 3520
Motherboard DFI Lanparty
Cooling Big tower thing
Memory 6 gb Ballistix Tracer
Video Card(s) HD 7970
Case a plank of wood
Audio Device(s) seperate amp and 6 big speakers
Power Supply Corsair
Mouse cheap
Keyboard under going restoration
Did you play Shift 2 with the UCP(patch) and custom force feedback files?

No, not as far as i am aware, unless my miscreant son did some of his usual jiggery pokery. I have played driving games for a long time, i still love NFS shift 2, i even think it sounds great, the AI is probably its' least redeeming feature but man some of the laps you can put in in places like Silverstone. Spa.....well the list goes on.

I did get the free legends pack which added some fun cars and a few excellent historic tracks.

I gave up on the online game a long time ago, too many dickheads spoiling the game. If you can suggest any mods that can make that great game better i would appreciate them though i can imagine Project Cars and GTAV are going to keep me pretty engaged for a good while.

Really enjoying the game more now, but having some issues (read below). The GT5 and GT4 class are much more fun than I thought they'd be. Really love railing the Mustang around corners at tracks like the Dubai Autodrome. I'm really surprised at how easily it handles on KB. I seem to recall Shift 2 Unleashed's first GT class races by comparison were fairly hard to control on KB.

The Mustang was so surprisingly well mannered I actually decided to race it in cockpit view, something I rarely do on KB, and I never even adjusted any tuning. In fact the steering sensitivity is actually at 100 and 75 for steering and speed sensitivity, vs the default 50 steering and I think 30 or so for speed.

I'd thought I left it at 75 steering, but just checked and it's at 100. The result was I won by a far larger margin than usual. I'm on Novice for my first play through just to get used to the tracks and cars, but instead of my normal 5-15 second win, I won by over 40 seconds.

This had me so pumped I decided to finally do a practice lap at the 13 mile Nordschleife track, and I stayed in cockpit view. All was going pretty well, save for pushing one turn too hard and spinning out, but I finished the lap. So I go to watch the replay, and was really enjoying it. Nords replays look SO much better. Not just the natural scenery, but the fact that they mix it up between exterior view and in car views. It makes the track repays I've been seeing look plain.

This is where the problems began. At one point in the replay it just froze. I thought maybe it needed to buffer, so I waited a while. I could rewind it a bit and start it again, but it would always freeze at that spot. So I exited game and did some Googling. Turns out some have had the game freeze even while in races. Apparently it starts happening later in the campaign, maybe only on certain tracks, I don't know.

The interesting thing though is people have said the debug file says something about "replay out of memory". There have been a few suggestions like checking file cache and setting frames rendered ahead to 1 vs 2 or more, but some have said the problem lingers no matter what.

I'm also wondering if it's causing another intermitent problem I've been having in general lately regarding my mouse cursor. Every now and then the cursor will get stuck, then after a few seconds I hear a Windows error sound and it goes away. At first I thought it was a pack of several Windows updates I'd installed, but then I realized, Project CARS is the only game I started playing lately that has issues with the cursor often showing on screen.

I will see the mouse pointer show up during replays or the game menu, and yesterday I noticed the more I try to push it off the screen, the more likely that freeze and error sound will happen. This has been happening on and off elsewhere when I'm not playing Project CARS though too. It can happen sometimes in other games, or on the desktop or net.

Does anyone have any idea what is causing this and what can be done about it?
Possibly.......maybe.

Is Project Cars anything like iracing? A mate of mine with a similar system to yours has had almost identical issues with iracing and Asetto Corsair.
He has a 290/920/X58 Sabertooth/6GB RAM and I spent quite a bit of time in the last few days trying to pinpoint the problem, (mainly because I built it for him :p).
Anyway today he ran a 1hr long championship race and for the first time ever it didn't hard lock, black-screen, tdr'd, CTD or freeze w/ looping sound etc etc....

So I may be able to help. :)
There is a list of things we did but the last step was enabling constant voltage in Afterburner. I also disabled Adobe flash protection mode, updated steam, and installed an MS hotfix for a Windows DWM bug.

If u have a dmp log I can take a look at it too, fwiw.

Last edited:
System Name Widow
Processor Ryzen 7600x
Cooling CPU : Corsair Hydro XC7 }{ GPU: EK FC 1080 via Magicool 360 III PRO > Photon 170 (D5)
Mouse Razer Naga 2014
Software Windows 11 Pro
No, not as far as i am aware, unless my miscreant son did some of his usual jiggery pokery. I have played driving games for a long time, i still love NFS shift 2, i even think it sounds great, the AI is probably its' least redeeming feature but man some of the laps you can put in in places like Silverstone. Spa.....well the list goes on.

I did get the free legends pack which added some fun cars and a few excellent historic tracks.

I gave up on the online game a long time ago, too many dickheads spoiling the game. If you can suggest any mods that can make that great game better i would appreciate them though i can imagine Project Cars and GTAV are going to keep me pretty engaged for a good while.

The place to get most of the mods is NoGripRacing.com. They also have forums to discuss the mods in detail. To save me putting all the minimum recommended mods here, just follow this link :
http://www.nogripracing.com/forum/showthread.php?t=336606&highlight=feedback

Only work from the first post, the second is probably not relevant to you (though I hope you are using a steering wheel!)

That covers off your licensed patches, unofficial patch, force feedback/physics adjustments, custom camera control (including field of view manipulation), and other requires files.

After that, off top of my head these are optional but worth having :

Possibly.......maybe.

Is Project Cars anything like iracing? A mate of mine with a similar system to yours has had almost identical issues with iracing and Asetto Corsair.
He has a 290/920/X58 Sabertooth/6GB RAM and I spent quite a bit of time in the last few days trying to pinpoint the problem, (mainly because I built it for him :p).
Anyway today he ran a 1hr long championship race and for the first time ever it didn't hard lock, black-screen, tdr'd, CTD or freeze w/ looping sound etc etc....

There is a list of things we did but the last step was enabling constant voltage in Afterburner. I also disabled Adobe flash protection mode, updated steam, and installed an MS hotfix for a Windows DWM bug.

Is Project CARS like iRacing and AC in terms of performance or? AC And iRacing seem to be fine in that regard, CARS would be the loser of the three.

I run both my cards very under volted and they never lose power resulting in a crash - certainly not a software game crash.

The place to get most of the mods is NoGripRacing.com. They also have forums to discuss the mods in detail. To save me putting all the minimum recommended mods here, just follow this link :
http://www.nogripracing.com/forum/showthread.php?t=336606&highlight=feedback

Only work from the first post, the second is probably not relevant to you (though I hope you are using a steering wheel!)

That covers off your licensed patches, unofficial patch, force feedback/physics adjustments, custom camera control (including field of view manipulation), and other requires files.

After that, off top of my head these are optional but worth having :

Is Project CARS like iRacing and AC in terms of performance or? AC And iRacing seem to be fine in that regard, CARS would be the loser of the three.

I run both my cards very under volted and they never lose power resulting in a crash - certainly not a software game crash.
No not in terms of performance; in terms of the engine and API. E.g. is it DX11, or does it use Flash? Steam? Looks like DX11 from the screenshots.... I'm not into racing sims so don't know...

System Name Widow
Processor Ryzen 7600x
Mouse Razer Naga 2014
Software Windows 11 Pro
System Name Space Station
Processor Intel 13700K
Motherboard ASRock Z790 PG Riptide
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420
Memory Corsair Vengeance 6400 2x16GB @ CL34
Video Card(s) PNY RTX 4080
Storage SSDs - Nextorage 4TB, Samsung EVO 970 500GB, Plextor M5Pro 128GB, HDDs - WD Black 6TB, 2x 1TB
Display(s) LG C3 OLED 42"
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V371
Power Supply SeaSonic Vertex 1200w Gold
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
Software Windows 11 Pro 23H2
Possibly.......maybe.

Yeah thanks for the offer. Since making that post you quoted, I have made a thread about mouse problems in general, as I found the mouse freeze was happening in other games and desktop and in Chrome too. Most seem to think it's my 2 yr 9 mo mouse having sensor problems, because it doesn't do it with the generic vs Logitech driver. I guess when the sensor gets old higher DPI can be a challenge for it, but what's weird is, even with the Logi driver, I had the default DPI set to 800, which is what the genric driver defaults to. I suppose since I had other DPI stored in the profile it may have caused problems though.

Logitech is sending me a G402 to replace my G400, and last I checked it was jsut released for shipment, so I should get tracking info and delivery date soon. I've never had screen lockups in P CARS during a race though, and I've yet to go back and test the Nords replays with the genric driver.

I formatted recently though and in playing through The Evil Within again, I noticed the mouse look feels a bit hitchy, and I was able to generate a Windows sound by wiggling the mouse cord while in game, which didn't happen before. I've read the G400 has a pretty weak cable connection internally which can cause problems. No cursor freeze like I was having before on the Logi river, but definitely hitchier mouse control than before when playing on the genric driver.

Needless to say I'm looking forward to trying the new mouse in hopes that it clears up all these problems, though I'm doubtful it has anything to do with that replay freeze. It could be that P CARS replay file just got corrupted somehow.

System Name AlderLake / Laptop
Processor Intel i7 12700K P-Cores @ 5Ghz / Intel i3 7100U
Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Master / HP 83A3 (U3E1)
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A 2 fans + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Extreme + 5 case fans / Fan
Memory 32GB DDR5 Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 6000MHz CL36 / 8GB DDR4 HyperX CL13
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio / Intel HD620
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Evo 500GB + 850 Pro 512GB + 860 Evo 1TB x2 / Samsung 256GB M.2 SSD
Display(s) 23.8" Dell S2417DG 165Hz G-Sync 1440p / 14" 1080p IPS Glossy
Case Be quiet! Silent Base 600 - Window / HP Pavilion
Audio Device(s) Panasonic SA-PMX94 / Realtek onboard + B&O speaker system / Harman Kardon Go + Play / Logitech G533
Power Supply Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750W / Powerbrick
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 2 Laser wireless / Logitech M330 wireless
Keyboard RAPOO E9270P Black 5GHz wireless / HP backlit
Software Windows 11 / Windows 10
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 (Single Core) 1936 @ stock Cinebench R23 (Multi Core) 23006 @ stock
So I bought Project Cars today on Steam, I tried some races with a Renault Clio and a Pagani,
I'm using a xbox360 controller and having problems steering in every race, I can't make a sharp turn somehow and always crash into the walls :banghead::wtf:
How do I set up the controls for sharp turning?

Almost bought this game until I found out that it doesn't allow you to turn PhysX off

sharp turning: reduce your turning radios to 180 like me. It is perfect.
On my Fanatec wheel i do it just on-device, but you can do it in the device software or in game...

Processor amd athlon 620 x4 2.60ghz
Motherboard biostar n68s3+
Memory 2x2 gb kingston ddr3 1333mhz
Video Card(s) xfx hd 5450
Storage samsung 1tb
Display(s) aoc e2043fk
Case fortrek gamer
Power Supply aerocool 500w e80
Software windows 8.1
the game is very impressive, but wish it had nissan r34 as it is a car that would rather play with him...!

Cooling Noctua NH-U12A 2 fans + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Extreme + 5 case fans / Fan
Memory 32GB DDR5 Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 6000MHz CL36 / 8GB DDR4 HyperX CL13
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Evo 500GB + 850 Pro 512GB + 860 Evo 1TB x2 / Samsung 256GB M.2 SSD
Audio Device(s) Panasonic SA-PMX94 / Realtek onboard + B&O speaker system / Harman Kardon Go + Play / Logitech G533
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 (Single Core) 1936 @ stock Cinebench R23 (Multi Core) 23006 @ stock
Having so many controller settings (when too much is too much?) I ended up messing with mine making the game unplayable. I just clicked on Reset defaults in the Controller menu and VOILA! I could race again.
Fact is there are many non or poorly documented settings.

Having so many controller settings (when too much is too much?) I ended up messing with mine making the game unplayable. I just clicked on Reset defaults in the Controller menu and VOILA! I could race again.
Fact is there are many non or poorly documented settings.

I started the game with default settings which did not work, then I changed the settings, did not work either, playing this game with a wheel may be the best option, but I don't have that.

System Name Shoebox Sandwich | Razer Blade 14 | Synology DS418 w/ 4X8TB WD Red | iPhone 15 Pro
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AMD Ryzen 9 5900HX
Motherboard ASRock B650E PG-ITX WiFi | Razer thing
Cooling NZXT Kraken 240 RGB w/ Lian Li P28 + Corsair AF120 Slim | Double fan vapour chamber
Memory G.Skill Flare X5 2x16GB 6000MHz CL32 DDR5 | 16GB 3200MHz DDR4
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 8GB
Storage Seagate FireCuda 520 2TB + Lexar NM790 4TB | 1TB NVMe SSD + 2TB NVMe external SSD
Display(s) Alienware AW3423DW & Sony A90K 42" | 14" QHD IPS 165Hz & Sony X90J 65" 4K TV
Case FormD T1 - v2.1 - Titanium colourway w Aluminium mesh | Razer Blade 14
Audio Device(s) Schiit Hel 2E (Focal Clear & HiFiMAN HE-4XX & DROP PC38X) | Samsung Q950A
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum | Razer 230W brick
Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate Mercury | Roccat Kain 202
Keyboard DIY Geek 64 PCB (Kailh Box Deep Sea - Matcha XDA Keycaps) | Corsair K63
VR HMD Oculus Quest
Software Windows 11 Home | Windows 11 Home
Benchmark Scores 2022 MINI Countryman SE PHEV Hybrid ALL4 | British Racing Green| Malt Brown Interior| YOURS Trim
I finally had a chance to play p:cars for a few hours straight. I have to say it is vastly improved on the beta versions I played at a friend's house. However I still feel a bit disconnected from the driving experience - I can't put my finger on what it is but there is just something missing. AC and DiRT Rally I find more engaging and I have a more 'connected' driving experience. I'll still play P:cars though as it is still a very good game imo.

I had a refund for this game on Steam, I was unable to play this with my xbox360 controller.
The steering sucked, I crashed into the walls every time, tried many settings myself and settings from the internet.
Nice racing game but just unplayable for me :(