• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Fiji and HBM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Processor FX6350@4.2ghz-i54670k@4ghz
Video Card(s) HD7850-R9290
amd has said around 70% of vram is allocated and wasted along with bandwidth needs being reduced.
there is something some testing is not showing in regards to real world performance but mantle is not the same as dx12.
but anyway the real world numbers for dx12 that have been demonstrated is 30 percent performance improvement for nv and 100 percent for amd.

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
i would not have posted that if i seen the article.. the forbes article was just rich in content and could spark several conversations but it appears some people just need a hug or something..
good thing i got several threads to help fight off the troll haha

And yet, even in the article from Forbes you missed the picture showing that the chip is actually larger. 596 sq mm vs 390X's 438 sq mm - that's 36% larger.
Sure, the total chip+memory area is significantly reduced, but lager chips are still more expensive to make. You'll be able to save $1-2 on the smaller PCB, but the total cost still goes up. And having a larger chip with the memory right next to it means more power to dissipate per unit of area.
There's no miracle at work here.

i ignored both the comments about the size because the measurement is obvious and meant to be..
it seems smaller faster cooler running products with the best design efficiency ever are not enough for some people

amd has said around 70% of vram is allocated and wasted along with bandwidth needs being reduced.
there is something some testing is not showing in regards to real world performance but mantle is not the same as dx12.
but anyway the real world numbers for dx12 that have been demonstrated is 30 percent performance improvement for nv and 100 percent for amd.

70% of VRAM used is wasted huh, so if a game is using 4GB of VRAM it should really only be using about 1.2GB. Or using 8GB of VRAM but should only be using 2.4GB?! I have to say that would be wonderful if true but it's such a huge number I don't know how anyone can believe it.

You're right Mantle is not the same as DX12, Mantle is specifically tailored to GCN, developed by AMD themselves if anything Mantle should give better performance numbers. Mantle is very similar to DX12, do the research, Mantle has the API overhead extremely reduced, it has direct access to all GPU features, even Microsoft has said DX12 will imitate Mantle.

I would love the link to these "real world" numbers for DX12 showing 30% improvement for NV and 100% for AMD. That would be very interesting to read.

Ebo

System Name the little fart
Processor AMD Ryzen 2600X
Motherboard MSI x470 gaming plus
Cooling Noctua NH-C14S
Memory 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaw 2400Mhz DDR 4
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX Vega 56 Pulse
Storage 1 Crucial MX100 512GB SSD,1 Crucial MX500 2TB SSD, 1 1,5TB WD Black Caviar, 1 4TB WD RED HD
Display(s) IIyama XUB2792QSU IPS 2560x1440
Case White Lian-Li PC-011 Dynamic
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar SE pci-e card
Power Supply Thermaltake DPS G 1050 watt Digital PSU
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Keyboard Corsair K70
Software windows 10 64 pro bit
I really dunno xfia, but I will put it as kindly as I possibly can.

Flooding forum with different treads regarding the exactly same thing, just with a different angle......well thats not good behavior in my book, end of story.

We are a lot of people looking forward to see what the thingy actually can do, but until NDA is lifted nobody can publish and people can only speculate which is the pit you have been in for quite some time, and it makes peoples eyes roll and think oohhh no, not again.

That you are exited about the new tech, thats allright, but pure speculation and bringing old news in a different bottle dosent make it new all over again. Do like the rest of us, wait until the tests are here then we have something to talk about, namely face value and NOT just the words from the marketing department.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
@xfia This really is getting old as the others have said. Why not just reserve your comments for when the card is released and W1z does his review? Then we'll all know exactly how it performs.

70% of VRAM used is wasted huh, so if a game is using 4GB of VRAM it should really only be using about 1.2GB. Or using 8GB of VRAM but should only be using 2.4GB?! I have to say that would be wonderful if true but it's such a huge number I don't know how anyone can believe it.

You're right Mantle is not the same as DX12, Mantle is specifically tailored to GCN, developed by AMD themselves if anything Mantle should give better performance numbers. Mantle is very similar to DX12, do the research, Mantle has the API overhead extremely reduced, it has direct access to all GPU features, even Microsoft has said DX12 will imitate Mantle.

I would love the link to these "real world" numbers for DX12 showing 30% improvement for NV and 100% for AMD. That would be very interesting to read.
the video showing amd's accomplishment in api overhead for dx12 was locked by a mod. im telling you those are real numbers.
yes yes i know how they are alike but dx12 is better and they have been able to up real performance number and not just take away bottlenecks for budget cpu's.

think we could end the troll and argument about facts? you people are just making anyone that actually wants to talk about it intellectually go away.

Last edited by a moderator:

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
think we could end the troll and argument about facts? you people are just making anyone that actually wants to talk about it intellectually go away.

You are impossible. You remind me of someone else who went on a long 'vacation'.

the video showing amd's accomplishment in api overhead for dx12 was locked by a mod. im telling you those are real numbers.
yes yes i know how they are alike but dx12 is better and they have been able to up real performance number and not just take away bottlenecks for budget cpu's.

uhh, That shouldn't keep you from giving me the link to the video of the performance numbers.. A locked thread.. how does that relate to a link to proof of the numbers, just give me the link to the video in this thread? I also don't know how it is you KNOW those are real numbers?? Also how you KNOW they upped real world performance... Am I just suppose to just trust you? I am sorry but you have no argument now if you want me to just take your word for it...

You've lost me... Now you just sound like a fan boy.

ahh it took me awhile with the trolling but it could be possible we are already seeing nv at more optimal levels of optimization and the performance advantage of gcn is already being seen
^ now that is actual speculation
i would rather have you in the other thread since you are actually interested and this was meant to really only be for fiji efficiency but i keep fighting trolling instead of getting conversation.

Ebo

System Name the little fart
Processor AMD Ryzen 2600X
Motherboard MSI x470 gaming plus
Cooling Noctua NH-C14S
Memory 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaw 2400Mhz DDR 4
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX Vega 56 Pulse
Storage 1 Crucial MX100 512GB SSD,1 Crucial MX500 2TB SSD, 1 1,5TB WD Black Caviar, 1 4TB WD RED HD
Display(s) IIyama XUB2792QSU IPS 2560x1440
Case White Lian-Li PC-011 Dynamic
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar SE pci-e card
Power Supply Thermaltake DPS G 1050 watt Digital PSU
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Keyboard Corsair K70
Software windows 10 64 pro bit

Ohhh i beg you dont dig that hole any deeper than you already are in.

You know for a fact, that a new OS thats going to be released on 29 next month comes with a perfectly tuned dx12 at launch ?............comon its Microsoft, yes it will work from the start but is it finetuned....not in a million years. Otherwise you will not see any optimizesation to the core of the OS, the next many months or ever ?.
Have you ever seen that from anything Microsoft have sold until now, because if you have, ive missed out on something ever since win 3.1. Ive never seen that before, but again it could be that you mean Windows Me, but im not quite sure:laugh:.

Someone's sounding like a big shiny dickhead. I wonder who that could be?^^^

Perspective.

Forbes Article source, June 22nd
http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/t...-efficiency-to-the-28nm-fiji-silicone.213719/
Youtube, June 20th
will Microsofts DX12 performance unlocking potential prove to be friend of AMD and foe to NV?
Forbes article, June 19th
http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/hbm-update.213634/
AMD promo video, June 22nd
http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/t...-to-amds-incredible-dx12-api-overhead.213722/
Forbes article, June 22nd
http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/t...matically-reduce-vram-bandwidth-needs.213721/
Forbes article, June 20th
http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/t...performance-with-r9-390x.213647/#post-3301534

For those counting, in the span on 3 days (19th-22nd) 6 new threads were generated. Of those threads, 4 linked to Forbes and 2 linked to youtube for the purposes of promotional material. All of the posts relate either directly or tangentially back to the new Fury and its HBM memory. Objectively, I think we can agree that this is either somebody reaching out to make Forbes relevant, or reaching out to evangelize AMD. Neither of these things is acceptable in a place like TPU, where this sort of activity would be called being a shill if it hit the front page.

So, I may have spoken with my wallet and supported AMD. At the same time, this flood of reinterpreted news from a second and third hand source isn't useful as a bunch of new threads. If all of it is relevant, how about you include it in the pre-existing ones (the threads that took me less than 60 seconds to find in my original post here). Supporting AMD, Intel, or Nvidia is one thing, but spamming a forum because you seem to have little or no awareness that you are doing so is unacceptable etiquette.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
Am I the only person who noticed that the title says "Silicone" and not "Silicon". I guess HBM makes them fake titties bounce. :)
AMD also said that Bulldozer was going to trample Sandy Bridge and we saw how that turned out. Speculation is one thing, treating it as if it were fact like you are currently doing is hypocritical.

Perspective.

Forbes Article source, June 22nd
http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/t...-efficiency-to-the-28nm-fiji-silicone.213719/
Youtube, June 20th
will Microsofts DX12 performance unlocking potential prove to be friend of AMD and foe to NV?
Forbes article, June 19th
http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/hbm-update.213634/
AMD promo video, June 22nd
http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/t...-to-amds-incredible-dx12-api-overhead.213722/
Forbes article, June 22nd
http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/t...matically-reduce-vram-bandwidth-needs.213721/
Forbes article, June 20th
http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/t...performance-with-r9-390x.213647/#post-3301534

For those counting, in the span on 3 days (19th-22nd) 6 new threads were generated. Of those threads, 4 linked to Forbes and 2 linked to youtube for the purposes of promotional material. All of the posts relate either directly or tangentially back to the new Fury and its HBM memory. Objectively, I think we can agree that this is either somebody reaching out to make Forbes relevant, or reaching out to evangelize AMD. Neither of these things is acceptable in a place like TPU, where this sort of activity would be called being a shill if it hit the front page.

So, I may have spoken with my wallet and supported AMD. At the same time, this flood of reinterpreted news from a second and third hand source isn't useful as a bunch of new threads. If all of it is relevant, how about you include it in the pre-existing ones (the threads that took me less than 60 seconds to find in my original post here). Supporting AMD, Intel, or Nvidia is one thing, but spamming a forum because you seem to have little or no awareness that you are doing so is unacceptable etiquette.
as i said its the dumb trolling and people not understanding what is even meant to be speculated because they dont have more facts that are out there.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Software MacOS 12.1
as i said its the dumb trolling and people not understanding what is even meant to be speculated because they dont have more facts that are out there.
Speculation is derived from some level of factual knowledge, otherwise it's not speculation, it's pulling shit out of your ass.

Am I the only person who noticed that the title says "Silicone" and not "Silicon". I guess HBM makes them fake titties bounce. :)

AMD also said that Bulldozer was going to trample Sandy Bridge and we saw how that turned out. Speculation is one thing, treating it as if it were fact like you are currently doing is hypocritical.
it has not been showed as fact so i said seems to be in regard to how the latency improvement is affecting vram. what is fact is that vram bandwidth needs will be reduced with dx12 so it may be coming full circle on that one.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Software MacOS 12.1
it has not been showed as fact so i said seems to be in regard to how the latency improvement is affecting vram. what is fact is that vram bandwidth needs will be reduced with dx12 so it may be coming full circle on that one.
I cite my experience as a software developer and as a person holding a degree in computer science. Latency does not impact (V)RAM usage (any memory for that matter), period. End of story. You can't store twice as much water in a bucket because the faucet dumps water out twice as fast. Learn how computers work before making erroneous claims like that.

A 10 liter bucket is still a 10 liter bucket regardless of how quickly you can put water into and and take water out of it. All types of memory are more similar to that bucket of water than what you're describing.

@Aquinus you may very well be right but take into consideration all the changes taking place with dx12 and how amd said it also that actually keeps up with your point.
they where just stating that what they have found to be true about vram is that 70 percent of what is allocated is wasted and wasnt in regard to a direct link to dx12 so maybe a sign for a initiative to tame vram usage.

System Name Mroofie / Mroofie
Processor Inte Cpu i5 4460 3.2GHZ Turbo Boost 3.4
Motherboard Gigabyte B85M-HD3
Cooling Stock Cooling
Memory Apacer DDR3 1333mhz (4GB) / Adata DDR3 1600Mhz(8GB) CL11
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gtx 960 WF
Storage Seagate 1TB / Seagate 80GB / Seagate 1TB (another one)
Display(s) Philips LED 24 Inch 1080p 60Hz
Case Zalman T4
Audio Device(s) Meh
Power Supply Antec Truepower Classic 750W 80 Plus Gold
Mouse Meh
Keyboard Meh
VR HMD Meh
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores Meh

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Software MacOS 12.1
you may very well be right but take into consideration how amd said it also that actually keeps up with your point
they where just stating that what they have found to be true about vram is that 70 percent of what is allocated is wasted and wasnt in regard to a direct link to dx12 so maybe a sign for a initiative to tame vram usage.
Which has absolutely nothing to do with HBM and everything to do with DX12. This very well could be had by nVidia as well so what's your point? You seem to have lost it.

Last edited:

CAPSLOCKSTUCK

Spaced Out Lunar Tick
System Name Party On
Processor Xeon w 3520
Motherboard DFI Lanparty
Cooling Big tower thing
Memory 6 gb Ballistix Tracer
Video Card(s) HD 7970
Case a plank of wood
Audio Device(s) seperate amp and 6 big speakers
Power Supply Corsair
Mouse cheap
Keyboard under going restoration
pointless, pointless thread.....a waste of keystrokes.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Software MacOS 12.1

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
@xfia This really is getting old as the others have said. Why not just reserve your comments for when the card is released and W1z does his review? Then we'll all know exactly how it performs.

And even THEN, when finally the card and DX12 are BOTH out, we still will only know how AMD and NVIDIA stack up against each other with DX11 improvements, so like you, the intelligent people will wait and see actual comparisons, instead of subscribing to the near-religious fervor heaped on us by xfia.

Status
Not open for further replies.