• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Terraria

Yeah, I got my server switched over and besides TerrariaServer.exe giving me a lot of fits (they clearly haven't put the work into it they need to be), I was able to play for a bit. I only played one full cycle (20 minutes I think) and I already saw a lot of good changes on a new world from the Guide throwing arrows at enemies to more wild life, to being able to unpack a herb pack which gave a bunch of different craftable plants. They did a lot of work to the whole game and not just end game content.

It kind of sucks that you have to launch it through Steam to get Steam features in the dedicated server. I don't even know how one would do that because the executables are different. It would really be nice to use the Steam friends list for authorizing users. I know the guys that made TShock really wanted VAC ban support. I don't know if this is it or not.

You have a server? Is is starting from the beginning? Are you allowing people to join you? ;)

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
Unfortunately, I can't. It's hosted on my pathetic 40 KB/s up internet connection.

If you're willing to pay for a good host GameServers.com offers it (minimum is 10 player server, $10/month).

That's too bad.

I doubt ill be buying any servers for Terraria, it's a little unnecessary for such a tiny game. My upload is 2Mbit/250KB/s, I could host a small one with ease I think. If you want to play multi with someone else I can set it up or you upload the server files.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
40 KB/s is sufficient unless there is either a lot of fluids moving or there's a massive fight (e.g. the Pumpking event). Things start slowing to a crawl then. Just exploring/building, the game uses very little.

40 KB/s is sufficient unless there is either a lot of fluids moving or there's a massive fight (e.g. the Pumpking event). Things start slowing to a crawl then. Just exploring/building, the game uses very little.

Interesting. I had no idea. How does it use resources on a PC? Is it ram/cpu/hd heavy?

I made a whole new char for 1.3, I have full Shadow Armor, Phaseblade, Meteor Hamaxe and the other Demonite tools. Getting ready to do Skeletron soon.

Have you guys gone to expert mode yet? I've got to say, the initial difficult is pleasantly punishing. I'm not looking forward to fighting Duke Fishron.

Seriously though, when an errant eyeball at night can waste you in two hits, and that's actually fun, you've made the game pleasantly more difficult.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Interesting. I had no idea. How does it use resources on a PC? Is it ram/cpu/hd heavy?
In 1.2.3, RAM was <1 GiB on a large map. CPU usage (make sure to change priority to 3 in serverconfig.txt) is minimal. I think everything is in the memory so no, not very stressing on hard drives. One thing to beware of though is that the game only autosaves at dawn. You have to remember to manually save before closing the window or that whole day could be lost.

Have you guys gone to expert mode yet? I've got to say, the initial difficult is pleasantly punishing. I'm not looking forward to fighting Duke Fishron.

Seriously though, when an errant eyeball at night can waste you in two hits, and that's actually fun, you've made the game pleasantly more difficult.
I'm not that brave. :x

Yeah, maybe after I get to end game in normal. Nice to see as an option though.

Toxicoz

The game is not bad but when I play it to much it gets dull and boring.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Playing on a small world really accelerates how long it takes to beat.

Playing on a small world really accelerates how long it takes to beat.

Indeed.

I now have a regular large world game, an expert medium world game and a small world multiplayer game with one other. xD

Expert is hard, the Eye of Cthulhu was insane... wow.. if I didn't have the nurse I would would have failed it miserably.

So, there are a few things to note.

First, going with a hard core difficulty on an expert world is...not recommended. Holy crap, the slime bent me over and had its way with me. The jungle was a bad joke.
Second, the enemy AI improvement is huge in expert mode. I could beat the tar out of bosses easily on regular mode, but the AI improvements have made sleep walking through the game impossible.
Third, that demon heart. You want it ASAP in expert mode. One slot doesn't sound like a lot, but with the introduction of some awesome new fusion items (Celestial Shell is surprisingly awesome) means that one extra slot and a couple of others are now free. Boy do you need them.
Fourth, small worlds are good for grind, but bad for storage. I've amassed everything from 1.1 to now, and you need a large world just to build the tower to store everything.

All in all, this game has new life breathed into it again. There are genuine improvements, and even if you don't like everything it's like we got another free game, because we bought Terraria a couple of years ago. I wish more developers did this.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
So Demon Heart adds a sixth accessory slot? I imagine it is really difficult to get.

So Demon Heart adds a sixth accessory slot? I imagine it is really difficult to get.

It's a reward from the wall of flesh treasure bags. I had about 16 in my inventory before I decided to use it.

Managed to get to the lunar event. That last section of boss might as well be a middle finger to solo players. The debuff it offers is no weapon/armor healing for 17 seconds, and it's fast enough that it might as well just say "thanks for defeating 4 grindy underlings, you're going to have to do that at least a couple more times before you even have an idea of how to beat me."

System Name Tingle
Processor Intel Core i7-4790K
Motherboard Asus Z97-Pro Gamer
Cooling Scythe Mugen 4 PCGH Edition
Memory Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16 GB DDR3-1600 CL8
Video Card(s) EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Superclocked ACX 2.0
Storage Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250 GB + WD Blue 1 TB
Display(s) Dell UltraSharp U2515H + Eizo FlexScan S2231W
Case Fractal Design Define R5 Black
Power Supply Seasonic Platinum Series 660W v2
Mouse Razer Deathadder
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow
Software Windows 10 Pro
So, me and my friend who used to play this finally got together to play this game again. We used to play it all the time like 4 years ago (it's amazing how time flies isn't it). We made a softcore large world, and put it on expert mode. We thought we could handle it, but man, like @lilhasselhoffer said, it definitely took some time to get used to it... (not surprising, when every enemy in the game has double health and does double damage) We're still happy we did it, because it does add a nice amount of challenge to the game (I especially like gow they made boss health scale with the nulber of people fighting). We managed to defeat the EoC after about 5 tries (the first try got screwed up because we had now idea how crazy it got near the end, and it spawned on its own twice while we were underground :p) and right now we're just caving a bit more and I'm focussing on building a bit with the marble I found underground (building is like 50% of the fun of course :D). We're probably gonna tackel BoC very soon :)
I gotta say, my respect for the developers is just skyrocketing again. I mean, three times now they've given us an update that pretty much doubles the game's content.. I mean just think of all the times this game was available for like €2.50, and how much content you get for it!

So the melee weapon The Seedler is very strong. I got it from fishing before they patched it. Plantera on expert is hard but The Golem is really easy...

I didn't know that killing the cultists would start the event for the last boss... wasn't prepared :p

My next boss is Duke Fishron I think. I need to make a fighting area in the ocean.

Loving 1.3, 100hrs since the patch came out 8|

For those just starting out with Terraria, the progression is a little ill defined.

1) Beat Eye of Cthulu. Either it is a random spawn on the surface at night, or you can summon it with the suspicious looking eye item. If the battle takes too long the eye will desummon, so if you're using the item summon it at the very beginning of the night. You can beat this with wooden armor and a bow, but copper/tin armor is recommended.
-Beat a Goblin Invasion-
2) Beat either the Brain of Cthulu, or the Eater of Worlds. The summoning items (Bloody Spine or Worm Food respectively) can be obtained via whatever item the creatures drop in your world, which depends upon your world gen. Gold/Platinum armor is recommended for this, though beating them with copper and an excellent ranged/penetrating weapon is a possibility.
3) Defeat the King Slime. Its spawn is assured whenever the slime rain falls from the sky. Nothing special here, but do note damage shrinks it while spawning more blue slimes. You get the ninja armor from the King Slime. Not great, but plenty of gel.
4) Defeat the queen bee. As long as you've gotten the area cleaned up, and have a high jump, this should be a breeze. Bee items are less than stellar, but decent weapons for a starting magic user.
5) It's Skeletron time. Make sure to have crimtane/demonite armor and a strong ranged weapon. A pair of wings, or at least the rocket boots from a goblin invasion would be an ideal way to make you mobile enough for this battle. Once you've put Skeletron down, head into the dungeon he protected, and loot some awesome items you'll be needing soon enough.
6) Now that you've defeated the three original bosses, it's time for the Wall of Flesh. By this point you've gotten to the hottest place in the world, and those wings have proven their value as a mining spree can easily open into a dangerous canyon. The wall of flesh requires either a good deal of time mining out a huge path in the underworld, or enough mobility to run and gun. Either way, Hellstone armor and weapons are a must. Once the Wall of Flesh is defeated, prepare for your world to change. Welcome the hard mode. Make sure to use the hammer you just got from the Wall of Flesh on at least 3 demon altars, so your world can be blessed with newer, and stronger, minerals. You'll need these minerals to fight off the next few bosses.
-Beat the Snowman Invasion (Late December)-
-Beat the Pirate Invasion-
-Beat the Goblin Invasion again, to get new stuff-
7) Now that you've seen the hallowed and your corruption/crimson has expanded, it's time to take on the first three bosses again. Only this time, they've been mechanized. Eye of Cthulu becomes The Twins, Eater of Worlds becomes The Destroyer, and Skeletron becomes Skeletron prime. These new bosses offer you hallowed bars and souls. You'll need the bars for armor and equipment, and the souls will give you new weapons and gear. Welcome to the first time that one set of armor has a variant for each main type of play (summoning is excluded, but the class really doesn't come into its own for a while.
8) Seven bosses down, and the next resides in the Jungle. Plantera is in the jungle, and while you're searching for its bulb you should definitely pick up as much Chlorophyte ore as possible. If you can manage it, craft Chlorophyte aremor to your tastes, and put Plantera down. If you're lucky, The Axe will await you when Plantera falls (an immensely powerful hammer+axe). No matter what, the key to the temple is dropped.
9) Finding the Temple is difficult, but defeating it proves even more challenging without either Specter armor, Shroomite armor, or Turtle armor. Hopefully you've gotten plenty of Chlorophyte, because it's the basis of all three of those armor types. Once the Golem goes down, you've got access to beetle armor and the Picksaw (pickaxe+axe).
-Defeat the Pumpkin Moon event, or at least survive long enough to get the Pumpkin Sword-
-Defeat the Martian Madness. It will probably destroy you without a constructed arena-
10) It's time to go fishing. Unfortunately, that means it's time for Duke Fishron. Once it's put to bed you'll have access to the Fishron wings and the Flairon. Welcome to a dream for Melee characters, ranged and homing melee bubbles.
-Defeat the Frost Moon event. It's just an upgraded Pumpkin Moon. The great prizes here are for magic users.-
11) Begin the Lunar Event. You will get your crap wrecked. Once you manage to defeat three of the 4 towers go craft some new weapons. Each new fragment gives you access to more amazing stuff. Magic users should cap the Stardust, Vortex will fall to projectile weapons, Solar is for melee players, and the Nebula tower rewards magic users. Once you've got new weapons, prepare to get wrecked. Kill the last tower, and 60 seconds later the Moon Lord arrives. Good luck with that. It's tough as nails, but will reward you with the absolute best weapons in the game. Combine that with Luminite, and you can craft the best armor. Welcome to the end of Terraria. Murder enough Moor Lords, and you can get some of the very best stuff the game has to offer. Welcome to Meowmere.

That seems so very short of a description, but Terraria is about the discovery. Between that, and building a lava moat, it's a game worth experiencing.

For those just starting out with Terraria, the progression is a little ill defined.

1) Beat Eye of Cthulu. Either it is a random spawn on the surface at night, or you can summon it with the suspicious looking eye item. If the battle takes too long the eye will desummon, so if you're using the item summon it at the very beginning of the night. You can beat this with wooden armor and a bow, but copper/tin armor is recommended.
-Beat a Goblin Invasion-
2) Beat either the Brain of Cthulu, or the Eater of Worlds. The summoning items (Bloody Spine or Worm Food respectively) can be obtained via whatever item the creatures drop in your world, which depends upon your world gen. Gold/Platinum armor is recommended for this, though beating them with copper and an excellent ranged/penetrating weapon is a possibility.
3) Defeat the King Slime. Its spawn is assured whenever the slime rain falls from the sky. Nothing special here, but do note damage shrinks it while spawning more blue slimes. You get the ninja armor from the King Slime. Not great, but plenty of gel.
4) Defeat the queen bee. As long as you've gotten the area cleaned up, and have a high jump, this should be a breeze. Bee items are less than stellar, but decent weapons for a starting magic user.
5) It's Skeletron time. Make sure to have crimtane/demonite armor and a strong ranged weapon. A pair of wings, or at least the rocket boots from a goblin invasion would be an ideal way to make you mobile enough for this battle. Once you've put Skeletron down, head into the dungeon he protected, and loot some awesome items you'll be needing soon enough.
6) Now that you've defeated the three original bosses, it's time for the Wall of Flesh. By this point you've gotten to the hottest place in the world, and those wings have proven their value as a mining spree can easily open into a dangerous canyon. The wall of flesh requires either a good deal of time mining out a huge path in the underworld, or enough mobility to run and gun. Either way, Hellstone armor and weapons are a must. Once the Wall of Flesh is defeated, prepare for your world to change. Welcome the hard mode. Make sure to use the hammer you just got from the Wall of Flesh on at least 3 demon altars, so your world can be blessed with newer, and stronger, minerals. You'll need these minerals to fight off the next few bosses.
-Beat the Snowman Invasion (Late December)-
-Beat the Pirate Invasion-
-Beat the Goblin Invasion again, to get new stuff-
7) Now that you've seen the hallowed and your corruption/crimson has expanded, it's time to take on the first three bosses again. Only this time, they've been mechanized. Eye of Cthulu becomes The Twins, Eater of Worlds becomes The Destroyer, and Skeletron becomes Skeletron prime. These new bosses offer you hallowed bars and souls. You'll need the bars for armor and equipment, and the souls will give you new weapons and gear. Welcome to the first time that one set of armor has a variant for each main type of play (summoning is excluded, but the class really doesn't come into its own for a while.
8) Seven bosses down, and the next resides in the Jungle. Plantera is in the jungle, and while you're searching for its bulb you should definitely pick up as much Chlorophyte ore as possible. If you can manage it, craft Chlorophyte aremor to your tastes, and put Plantera down. If you're lucky, The Axe will await you when Plantera falls (an immensely powerful hammer+axe). No matter what, the key to the temple is dropped.
9) Finding the Temple is difficult, but defeating it proves even more challenging without either Specter armor, Shroomite armor, or Turtle armor. Hopefully you've gotten plenty of Chlorophyte, because it's the basis of all three of those armor types. Once the Golem goes down, you've got access to beetle armor and the Picksaw (pickaxe+axe).
-Defeat the Pumpkin Moon event, or at least survive long enough to get the Pumpkin Sword-
-Defeat the Martian Madness. It will probably destroy you without a constructed arena-
10) It's time to go fishing. Unfortunately, that means it's time for Duke Fishron. Once it's put to bed you'll have access to the Fishron wings and the Flairon. Welcome to a dream for Melee characters, ranged and homing melee bubbles.
-Defeat the Frost Moon event. It's just an upgraded Pumpkin Moon. The great prizes here are for magic users.-
11) Begin the Lunar Event. You will get your crap wrecked. Once you manage to defeat three of the 4 towers go craft some new weapons. Each new fragment gives you access to more amazing stuff. Magic users should cap the Stardust, Vortex will fall to projectile weapons, Solar is for melee players, and the Nebula tower rewards magic users. Once you've got new weapons, prepare to get wrecked. Kill the last tower, and 60 seconds later the Moon Lord arrives. Good luck with that. It's tough as nails, but will reward you with the absolute best weapons in the game. Combine that with Luminite, and you can craft the best armor. Welcome to the end of Terraria. Murder enough Moor Lords, and you can get some of the very best stuff the game has to offer. Welcome to Meowmere.

That seems so very short of a description, but Terraria is about the discovery. Between that, and building a lava moat, it's a game worth experiencing.

You can summon the brain/eater by breaking orbs/hearts too not just the item that summons them.

Also, the goblin invasion don't drop the rocket boots anymore, you have to buy them from the goblin tinker NPC.

A good explanation of the boss progression though. One of the very few Terraria weaknesses is the lack or direction or explanation on what to do. The Guide NPC will help a little but having the Terraria Wiki open is key imo.

Just defeated the last boss in Terraria on Expert. Not easy, took about 7 tries with different tactics/items. I used ranged/bullets with a long skybridge to finally get him.

Kept all spoilers that I could out of the above sentence . ;)

Now to get the rest of the Steam achievements for the game and i'll be mostly satisfied. I'm not one to care about achievements but idk, it's Terraria and now that I took down the last boss there are only 4 or 5 achievements left to get.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Before 1.3, the Christmas event was the hardest. Is it still?

System Name [Daily Driver]
Processor [Ryzen 7 5800X3D]
Motherboard [Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS]
Cooling [be quiet! Dark Rock Slim]
Memory [64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3600MHz (16GBx4)]
Video Card(s) [PNY RTX 3070Ti XLR8]
Storage [1TB SN850 NVMe, 4TB 990 Pro NVMe, 2TB 870 EVO SSD, 2TB SA510 SSD]
Display(s) [2x 27" HP X27q at 1440p]
Case [Fractal Meshify-C]
Audio Device(s) [Steelseries Arctis Pro]
Power Supply [CORSAIR RMx 1000]
Mouse [Logitech G Pro Wireless]
Keyboard [Logitech G512 Carbon (GX-Brown)]
Software [Windows 11 64-Bit]
Before 1.3, the Christmas event was the hardest. Is it still?

It depends, if you go on expert and consider getting to the last wave of the Christmas event as completing that event then it could still be considered the most difficult I think.

On expert it is almost always required to have an arena built for each boss in order to defeat it, the same goes for the events and since the Christmas event has 20 waves it's length and number of enemies could be considered the most difficult to contend with. I found Plantera to be very difficult without clearing out a huge area in the undergound jungle. Even now I bet I couldn't kill Plantera without enough room and I am much further through the game with better gear.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
With Plantera even on normal mode, I'd always make a giant square in the jungle with a flat running path on the top and bottom with a rope on the sides and just go around and around until Plantera died.

You're absolutely right about needing an arena often tailor made to the boss. That's one of the things I like about Terraria. None of the bosses are really a push over. On a related note: King Slime killed me three times in a row that bully! :(

With Plantera even on normal mode, I'd always make a giant square in the jungle with a flat running path on the top and bottom with a rope on the sides and just go around and around until Plantera died.

You're absolutely right about needing an arena often tailor made to the boss. That's one of the things I like about Terraria. None of the bosses are really a push over. On a related note: King Slime killed me three times in a row that bully! :(

lol, King Slime is easy when you get him stuck in your house ;) He would be really hard in an open area for sure.

I find with the events (or even the king slime) once you get the banners for killing 50/100/150 etc. of the same enemy (slimes for the king slime helps since he spawns so many) and you place the banner by your battle arenas those enemies become quite a bit easier to kill and finally manageable. It really helped me get to the higher waves of the pumpkin moon. The drop I got from the last boss should get me to the 15th wave of the Pumpkin Moon now so I can have that achievement and hopefully the Christmas event as well.

System Name Hakase
Processor Ryzen 7 3700X @ Stock
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-F
Cooling Noctua NH-U12S
Memory 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @ 3000MHz 18-18-18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX1070 Dual
Storage 250GB 860EVO - 2x600GB Cheetah 15k7 - 2x2TB Constellation ES - 2+3TB Green - 500GB Deskstar
Display(s) Viewsonic VX2476-smhd
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Fostex PC100USB > Altec Lansing ATP-3
Power Supply Corsair CX750M
Mouse Logitech G Pro X Superlight - Razer ExactMat Control
Keyboard Leopold FC750R, MX Blue
Software Win 10 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores not benching anymore...
wow I didn't know we have a lot of terraria players here,
I was hooked up with this game by my friend,
who tells me to try and play it.

end game equipment and items, like the Terrarian YoYo and the SDMG, is very VERY powerful.
I can get closer to 30-40k dps with it combined with the right armor of course