• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

If Steam allowed the selling of any unwanted game, should developers get a cut of the sale price?

Should developers get a cut of unwanted Steam games sold in a Steam gamers marketplace?

• Total voters

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
well.....

I am trying to state the point, as a means to understanding it. I seem to be failing at it, so if you've got some greater intuition as to what it is please let me in on it. I don't fundamentally disagree with the point he's making (games should function like physical goods), but there are too many unique variables present to software that make a 1:1 comparison impossible.

unplayed games, no cut probably

but played? how is that fair? (yes i have bought used ps3 games & looking to sell a few i later got on steam, some are retail NEW unopened)

we can focus on the big bad corporate boogeyman, but i'm thinking about an indie dev... a $10 game that gets finished in a few hours, sold off to the next person, finished, sold, finished, sold.... that's not nice at all (especially when family sharing AND refunds exist now)

would you also be able to sell things from your 5 games for $1 bundles?

the difference from it being a material product like a chair is that games get patches, content updates, maybe press work, & customer support (even if there's no game update) AFTER the game has been released & paid for

a free throttled transfer of ownership kind of like family sharing sounds more fair than letting users pick the price, many of which are guaranteed to play the system by buying on sale/bundles then selling high

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
No they shouldn't. However I can see how this could be a problem for a company's bottom end. In the interest of fairness. If this were to come to pass and I were steam I would apply the follwoing conditions.

A. The Game could not be sold for its original MSRP (MSRP meaning not sales etc)
B. The ability to sell a game should have time constraints.
I wouldn't put any constraints and this is why:

A - Anyone selling a used game at MSRP or even more isn't likely to sell it, as there will always be a preference for people to buy it directly off Steam. There needs to be an incentive and that has to be a lower price

B - Why? This implies that the developer has some "second sale" rights over your game, which they do not have. I did see an article a couple of years ago on TechDirt explaining how allowing people to get rid of their unwanted goods* actually stimulates new sales because it reduces one's risk of buying something they don't like and then being stuck with it. There were other key angles to it too, explaining why used sales are a benefit for everyone.

*They were talking about all kinds of goods, including physical and virtual.

One of the biggest problems is you seen the CD key, so for you to resell the game they would have to blacklist that key and give a new one. The old one could get used on pirate versions and person that is legit own that buys it gets the shaft later if that key gets dumped on that market and blacklisted.
I wouldn't worry about that, because that key is locked to an account via Steam's servers so it's useless to anyone else. Also, I can't see why some developers continue to use product keys when Steam handles installation and activation anyway.

Valve will never allow "used game" sales ever in Steam for the infinite future that it exists in.

In the event it did happen (which it will not, ever), it would follow the same rules pre-owned games have followed since the option existed.
I disagree that it will never happen. That German ruling was for downloaded software (Adobe I think) which works in exactly the same way as a Steam download that set a precedent. At the time people were wondering if that would force Steam (Valve) to allow this. While it hasn't happened yet, I'll bet if someone with deep pockets were to sue them over this and use that case as their argument, they'd win.

IMO Steam will be forced into it eventually, it's only a matter of time. Look at how they're now offering generous refund terms on new games. They didn't do that out of the goodness of their heart I can tell you.

For those that think they own the game, you dont on any platform that has any DRM. With Steam you basically pay for the privelege of renting said game.

As much as I detest them getting a cut of a second hand game sale, they would definately demand it, or the next person won't get to "rent" the game.

I don't think the developer should get a cut though, unless it's also clearly stated in the terms of service.
It's not renting a game when you pay once and can use it forever. I believe that what you're thinking of is that Steam do have the physical power to remove it from you by remote control, which they can and do in certain circumstances, such as refunds or "grey import" keys like we've seen recently. If they try to do that without proper justification, then people would have the right to sue them. Also, it would be terrible PR and the platform would die as people would know they'd get ripped off buying from there, so no, it won't happen.

Developers can demand that cut, but they have no legal power to enforce it, so it's irrelevent. If some of them throw a hissy fit and won't sell their games on Steam over it then that's their loss as it's Steam with it's market dominance that has the overwhelming advantage here.

It's a tough one. In theory, it only takes one person buying the game for the entire world to play it. On the other hand, someone buying second hand at a discounted price might not have bought it at the full price. It's like piracy, pirated goods do not equal lost sales 1:1.
Well no, the entire world couldn't play it, because Steam's account DRM prevents it, so I wouldn't worry about that. If you're thinking about hacking, then sure that happens anyway and is an ongoing battle. However, those hacked games often don't quite work properly as many have online components and also won't receive updates, so the user experience would degrade over time.

I agree about the discounted versus full price and that 1:1 lost sales argument is BS. Also, it's not "theft" either, as Big Media love to keep spouting ad nauseum, but an infringement, since the original copy isn't deleted.

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Storage Samsung SM961 256GB + HGST 1TB
Display(s) 1080p IPS G-SYNC 75Hz
Audio Device(s) Bang & Olufsen
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
While it hasn't happened yet, I'll bet if someone with deep pockets were to sue them over this and use that case as their argument, they'd win.

I bet even more that the countless publishers on Steam who have infinitely deeper pockets will want to ensure digital game sales do not go the way of pre-owned, because it means less money for them, when people begin to sell off games they don't want/play anymore. Steam sells you a subscription to a game. You cannot give somebody something you do not own. No random court win in Germany is going to do that.

I dislike the pre-owned market immensely, I would not want it to come to Steam. We have enough issues with grey market key sellers as is, we don't need all this BS with second hand digital goods.

All it will do is hit the "little-guys", the independent developers that only earn a standard yearly wage as it is. Second hand sales would crush their income, and the way of the indie title would only be viable for those able to take the brunt of the loss of sales pre-owned brings.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
RCoon, I agree it could start a battle royal, but I still won't discount it for the reasons I've already said. Also, it's not a subscription or rental as I've said to rtwjunkie, since it's not renting a game when you pay once and can use it forever.

Again, they don't lose money, as I explained to Solaris with that TechDirt article. Guess I'm gonna have to try and find it. Good luck to me. :p

Even if they do, that's not a valid argument. One can say the same thing about used car* sales losing the manufacturer new sales. So what? These are your rights and they just have to deal suck it up.

*The example also applies to any physical good, not just cars. It's funny how content creators want their virtual goods to behave like physical ones when it comes to selling them, but don't want to do so when it comes to allowing the customer to exercise their rights such as selling or lending them, is it? ;) That's double dipping and they can't have it both ways. Well, not forever anyway, as we're finally starting to see.

Processor Pentium II 400 @ 516MHz
Motherboard AOpen AX6BC EZ
Cooling Stock
Memory 192MB PC-133
Video Card(s) 2x Voodoo 12MB in SLI, S3 Trio64V+
Storage Maxtor 40GB
Display(s) ViewSonic E90
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster 16
Software Windows 98 SE
Well no, the entire world couldn't play it, because Steam's account DRM prevents it, so I wouldn't worry about that. If you're thinking about hacking, then sure that happens anyway and is an ongoing battle. However, those hacked games often don't quite work properly as many have online components and also won't receive updates, so the user experience would degrade over time.

I agree about the discounted versus full price and that 1:1 lost sales argument is BS. Also, it's not "theft" either, as Big Media love to keep spouting ad nauseum, but an infringement, since the original copy isn't deleted.

No, with reselling it is theoretically possible for only one sale to result in everyone getting to play it.

I buy the game, I play it and sell it to you. You play the game and sell it on to the next person, who sells it to the next person, who sells it to the next person, ad infinitum. Eventually everyone has played the game and it has only had one sale.

Processor i7-13700k
Motherboard Asus Tuf Gaming z790-plus
Cooling Coolermaster Hyper 212 RGB
Memory Corsair Vengeance RGB 32GB DDR5 7000mhz
Video Card(s) Asus Dual Geforce RTX 4070 Super ( 2800mhz @ 1.0volt, ~60mhz overlock -.1volts. 180-190watt draw)
Storage 1x Samsung 980 Pro PCIe4 NVme, 2x Samsung 1tb 850evo SSD, 3x WD drives, 2 seagate
Display(s) Acer Predator XB273u 27inch IPS G-Sync 165hz
Power Supply Corsair RMx Series RM850x (OCZ Z series PSU retired after 13 years of service)
Mouse Logitech G502 hero
Keyboard Logitech G710+
I wouldn't worry about that, because that key is locked to an account via Steam's servers so it's useless to anyone else. Also, I can't see why some developers continue to use product keys when Steam handles installation and activation anyway.
Not All online gameplay is handled by steams servers hence where the problem would come up. So blacklisting that key would have to happen for that reason alone.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
@qubit, if your game is not a rental/subscription, etc, i challenge you to contact Steam and tell them you wish to take your games and play them forever without Steam, or do whatever you want with them. Let me know how that works for you. You pay for the right to play them, and they control that right.

The only people you completely OWN your game from is GOG. You buy from them, save the game on your hard drive, and it's yours forever without any interference.

Last edited:
No, with reselling it is theoretically possible for only one sale to result in everyone getting to play it.

I buy the game, I play it and sell it to you. You play the game and sell it on to the next person, who sells it to the next person, who sells it to the next person, ad infinitum. Eventually everyone has played the game and it has only had one sale.

This is an absolutely asinine argument.

If it were anywhere near realistic, it would already be visible. You can go out today, and buy a copy of a console game. It can be resold ad-infinitum, making it possible for the publisher to sell only one copy but for everyone on the planet to have played the game. Despite this, I don't see publishers burning down Gamestop to prevent this. The only difference is that with a digital good you don't even have to worry about the breakdown of the disc over time. Welcome to the mire of IP in a world of law designed for physical goods.

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Dell 27 inch 1440p 144 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
I knew a guy that would only play a game once no matter how much he enjoyed the game. So a new game comes out and he plays it for a week or so an then sells it to a person that really wants the game and would buy it from the publisher but he knows he can pick the game up for $40 if he waits a couple of weeks. In that case the publisher did lose money but I think that most people would keep a game that they really enjoyed and play it again later. After a couple of years they couldn't sell it for much because by that time you could pick it up for $10 on a Steam sale anyway and the vast majority have already bought the game. Probably most of the games that would show up quickly after release for sale would be the shit games. The publisher should get screwed over for that anyway imo.

System Name Trashbox Pro
Processor Intel Core i7 4770K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z87X-UD7-TH
Memory G.Skill 2400MHz 32GB
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming R9 280x 6GB (2x)
Storage Samsung Evo 840 1TB
Case Fractal Design Arc Midi
Power Supply Corsair AX 850

Perhaps you fail to grasp the underlying issue. I say this, because you quote a document that you seem to not fully read.

Application to digital copies
The first-sale doctrine does not neatly fit transfers of copies of digital works because an actual transfer does not actually happen -- instead, the recipient receives a new copy of the work while, at the same time, the sender has the original copy (unless that copy is deleted, either automatically or manually). For example, this exact issue played out in Capitol Records, LLC v. ReDigi Inc., an case involving online marketplace for pre-owned digital music.

E-books have the same issue. Because the first sale doctrine does not apply to electronic books, libraries cannot freely lend e-books indefinitely after purchase. Instead, electronic book publishers came up with business models to sell the subscriptions to the license of the text. This results in e-book publishers placing restrictions on the number of times an e-book can circulate and/or the amount of time a book is within a collection before a library’s license expires, then the book no longer belongs to them.[2]

The question is whether the first-sale doctrine should be retooled to reflect the realities of the digital age. Physical copies degrade over time, whereas digital information does not. Works in digital format can be reproduced without any flaws and can be disseminated worldwide without much difficulty. Thus, applying the first-sale doctrine to digital copies affect the market for the original to a greater degree than transfers of physical copies. The U.S. Copyright Office stated that "[t]he tangible nature of a copy is a defining element of the first-sale doctrine and critical to its rationale."[3] On the other hand, it has to be considered how the copyright system supports collection of economic rents by effortless activity of producing digital copies to the detriment of others but a small wealthy ownership class.

In Europe, the European Court of Justice ruled on July 3, 2012, that it is indeed permissible to resell software licenses even if the digital good has been downloaded directly from the Internet, and that the first-sale doctrine applied whenever software was originally sold to a customer for an unlimited amount of time, as such sale involves a transfer of ownership, thus prohibiting any software maker from preventing the resale of their software by any of their legitimate owners.[4][5][6] The court requires that the previous owner must no longer be able to use the licensed software after the resale, but finds that the practical difficulties in enforcing this clause should not be an obstacle to authorizing resale, as they are also present for software which can be installed from physical supports, where the first-sale doctrine is in force.[7][8] The ruling applies to the European Union, but could indirectly find its way to North America; moreover the situation could entice publishers to offer platforms for a secondary market.[5]

That's from the document you quoted. Before you bring up a point, please consider it fully. This is why the resale of digital goods is being debated now, as the long standing first-sale doctrine cannot adequately be applied, as currently proscribed.

System Name Trashbox Pro
Processor Intel Core i7 4770K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z87X-UD7-TH
Memory G.Skill 2400MHz 32GB
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming R9 280x 6GB (2x)
Storage Samsung Evo 840 1TB
Case Fractal Design Arc Midi
Power Supply Corsair AX 850
Perhaps you fail to grasp the underlying issue. I say this, because you quote a document that you seem to not fully read.

No actually, Mr. Passive-Aggressive, my purpose of posting the first sale doctrine, which has been a centuries old development in copyright law, is to highlight the erosion of our consumer rights in the context of services like Steam, iTunes, etc. which try to abdicate their responsibility in giving consumers ownership over property and all of the legal rights endowed therein.

Now, you accurately point out the first sale doctrine does not apply to licensing agreement. But that is the entire point!

The first sale doctrine should always be mentioned when talking about whether rights holders are due a royalty on subsequent sales IP because it is the traditional legal precedent governing the resale of said IP. This legal precedent exists for good reason. Furthermore, the resale of IP only makes sense in the context of ownership, not in the transfer of a licensing agreement.

The whole point of this discussion is the intentional conflation of the rights bestowed by ownership, most prominently includes the right of resale, and the rights granted to the licensee by a rights holder, which was never intended to cover resale because the centuries-old legal definition of a license was designed to cover a temporary relationship and not, effectively, perpetual ownership.

It has only been in the last few decades, mostly through the federal court case mentioned in your quote, that through the use of DRM and online downloads IP rights holders have gotten away from being held accountable to the first sale doctrine and other consumer rights regarding property ownership by defining the consumer's ownership through a license, which has incredibly weak protections.

Therefore, any further discussions on royalties due on subsequent sales of IP represents an even further erosion of the first sale doctrine, which I take serious issue with because it further pushes society (and, by extension, legal precedent) down the path from the traditional protections of ownership into the rentership society wherein consumers rights are subject to the legal whims of rights holders.

But I thought a little critical reading skills applied to the latter two paragraphs which you yourself quoted might make the legal ramifications of this problem self-evident. Silly me.

Last edited:
Processor Pentium II 400 @ 516MHz
Motherboard AOpen AX6BC EZ
Cooling Stock
Memory 192MB PC-133
Video Card(s) 2x Voodoo 12MB in SLI, S3 Trio64V+
Storage Maxtor 40GB
Display(s) ViewSonic E90
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster 16
Software Windows 98 SE
This is an absolutely asinine argument.

If it were anywhere near realistic, it would already be visible. You can go out today, and buy a copy of a console game. It can be resold ad-infinitum, making it possible for the publisher to sell only one copy but for everyone on the planet to have played the game. Despite this, I don't see publishers burning down Gamestop to prevent this. The only difference is that with a digital good you don't even have to worry about the breakdown of the disc over time. Welcome to the mire of IP in a world of law designed for physical goods.

So you see nothing wrong with the developers not getting anything from second hand sales? Imagine you've developed a piece of software and instead of making the millions you were dreaming of you only have a handful of sales because the people that buy your product resell it when they're done with it. Yes, it's an extreme example, but the principle is the same.

So you see nothing wrong with the developers not getting anything from second hand sales? Imagine you've developed a piece of software and instead of making the millions you were dreaming of you only have a handful of sales because the people that buy your product resell it when they're done with it. Yes, it's an extreme example, but the principle is the same.

Please read the rest of this thread. I outline my beliefs, and my motivations quite clearly. You seem to believe that because your argument is invalid, it invalidates your point. What I said was this particular argument, made from either side of the debate, is asinine. It's like arguing that VCRs should be outlawed, because it will kill the home video market. It's like arguing that the introduction of the geometro would kill the truck market, because it was so much more fuel efficient. That which is demonstrably a logical fallacy can be aegis nor spear for either side of a debate.

No actually, Mr. Passive-Aggressive, my purpose of posting the first sale doctrine, which has been a centuries old development in copyright law, is to highlight the erosion of our consumer rights in the context of services like Steam, iTunes, etc. which try to abdicate their responsibility in giving consumers ownership over property and all of the legal rights endowed therein.

Now, you accurately point out the first sale doctrine does not apply to licensing agreement. But that is the entire point!

The first sale doctrine should always be mentioned when talking about whether rights holders are due a royalty on subsequent sales IP because it is the traditional legal precedent governing the resale of said IP. This legal precedent exists for good reason. Furthermore, the resale of IP only makes sense in the context of ownership, not in the transfer of a licensing agreement.

The whole point of this discussion is the intentional conflation of the rights bestowed by ownership, most prominently includes the right of resale, and the rights granted to the licensee by a rights holder, which was never intended to cover resale because the centuries-old legal definition of a license was designed to cover a temporary relationship and not, effectively, perpetual ownership.

It has only been in the last few decades, mostly through the Supreme Court case mentioned in your quote, that through the use of DRM and online downloads IP rights holders have gotten away from being held accountable to the first sale doctrine and other consumer rights regarding property ownership by defining the consumer's ownership through a license, which has incredibly weak protections.

Therefore, any further discussions on royalties due on subsequent sales of IP represents an even further erosion of the first sale doctrine, which I take serious issue with because it further pushes society (and, by extension, legal precedent) down the path from the traditional protections of ownership into the rentership society wherein consumers rights are subject to the legal whims of rights holders.

But I thought a little critical reading skills applied to the latter two paragraphs which you yourself quoted might make the legal ramifications of this problem self-evident. Silly me.

Not passive aggressive, actively citing why this debate exists in the first place. You typed one sentence. There is no reading between the lines, no nuance, and no reason in that argument. Your response, while slightly embittered by what was likely a more blunt than necessary response from me, is what I wanted. That shows that we have something to discuss, for which there is actual value.

I fully agree that ownership has been either stolen or voluntarily relinquished in the modern age. The reason that such things have been forfeit is that our society at large has moved from manufacturing to that of a service industry. As a service industry relies upon people demanding services, we have changed our perception of what can be offered as a service. The unfortunate truth is that our legal system has done nothing to keep up with the changing societal views on what is and is not a service.

So, I need you to answer me a few questions.
1) Assuming that software is a good, rather than IP providing a service, where does it reside? Is it on your computer, the Steam authentication servers, the developer's network, or perhaps even the download servers for Steam? I find it impossible to answer this question personally. Any answer has a dozen different counters, and we could spend all day arguing it out.
2) Assuming that you sell a piece of software to someone else, what legal recourse do they retain if the software does not work? Right now things like the lemon law protect consumers from being sold damaged goods, but no such protections exist in the case of software. Even the developers aren't culpable if you are sold software that doesn't work via a third party.
3) In the case of a third party being involved with the sale of the supposed goods, who retains the responsibility to the consumers after sale? If your software damages a million dollar piece of hardware, due to bad coding, who do you seek reparations from. In the case of something like a car the manufacturer is responsible, yet with software you'd need to perpetually support a product. It is beyond the scope of the legal system to force a manufacturer to support software indefinitely, yet because it doesn't degrade that is exactly the relationship that digital goods would have to bear.
4) How do we prevent duplication? With manufactured goods you have a physical item, yet with digital goods copies can be made forever. Who is trusted to make sure that only one paid copy of a good exist? Who can be trusted to do such a thing, when there's no incentive to offer that service without an associated price tag.

The witty, and useless, answer is that if you don't want to accept the license terms don't. Steam is a service you can voluntarily ignore, and there are almost always ways to get a hard copy of games. The issue is that even ownership of the disc doesn't entitle you to resale with PC games. What I proposed earlier was that publishers and Steam both get a cut of resale value, because they continue to accept responsibility for their customers (something that even physical goods aren't subject to unless warrantied, and even then only if you're the original owner). If they accept any money then they damn well better provide service. What you are proposing is we follow the rules we used to for physical goods. I can say that something as expensive, and as long lasting, as a car deserves different considerations than software. If the electronic nature of the items isn't enough of a reason, then I have to ask what software is currently on your computer? Is it the same as 10 years ago? Will it be the same in 10 years? What about damage due to usage. Sure, the HDD will fail, but once you've loaded up your backup does it perform any worse?

This debate is largely being settled case by case, and will likely take another decade to resolve. According to the makers of video games archiving abandonware is piracy. Emulators for anything more modern than an NES are tools for stealing IP, and digital goods only have value when the player forks over cash (after which every item becomes valueless for the purposes of being able to shut down servers at will). What I propose is that our digital goods retain value, because the publishers accept our money. The service rendered by platforms like Steam should be treated as such. You pay money, you get the service, and the publisher and seller agree to support you because they are being paid.

Nobody wants to fork over more money than they have to for a good or service. At the same time, we expect to receive the value of anything we pay for. I'd be willing to pay a modest portion of my trade-in value back to the publishers and Steam if I knew the game was going to be going strong months after release. I can't say that our current system, designed for physical goods, could address that sort of long term support.

Not all games you buy on Steam have DRM. It's probably a small number that don't, but they do exist.

I have to disagree with the part about user experience going down. In many cases pirated games provide a better experience. There are many single player games that if the game cant connect to it's server you cant play at all. Plenty of those have really bad servers, that are down for days or longer. In these cases the only copies effected or the non-pirated ones. A good example of this is SimCity (2013).

For me at least Skyrim with Steam is a horrible experience. The reason is I hate Skyrim un-modded, and for some reason Steam constantly breaks mod installs, and as a result kills the game or my saves. In some cases it will decide it needs to download the entire game for no apparent reason before it will let the game run again. I ended up copying the game out of steam, and downloading an update for a pirated copy so I can run the game without steam. After that the game play has been better because Steam cant break the mods, and in turn cause constant crashing.

Mindweaver

Moderato®™
Staff member
System Name Tower of Power / Sechs
Processor i7 14700K / i7 5820k @ 4.5ghz
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming WiFi D4 / X99S GAMING 7
Cooling CM MasterLiquid ML360 Mirror ARGB Close-Loop AIO / CORSAIR Hydro Series H100i Extreme
Memory CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600 / G.Skill DDR4 2800 16GB 4x4GB
Video Card(s) ASUS TUF Gaming GeForce RTX 4070 Ti / ASUS TUF Gaming GeForce RTX 3070 V2 OC Edition
Storage 4x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB M.2, 2x Crucial 1TB SSD / Samsung 870 PRO 500GB M.2
Display(s) Samsung 32" Odyssy G5 Gaming 144hz 1440p, ViewSonic 32" 72hz 1440p / 2x ViewSonic 32" 72hz 1440p
Case Phantek "400A" / Phanteks “Enthoo Pro series”
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC4080 / Azalia Realtek ALC1150
Power Supply Corsair RM Series RM750 / Corsair CXM CX600M
Mouse Glorious Gaming Model D Wireless / Razer DeathAdder Chroma
Keyboard Glorious GMMK with box-white switches / Keychron K6 pro with blue swithes
VR HMD Quest 3 (128gb) + Rift S + HTC Vive + DK1
Software Windows 11 Pro x64 / Windows 10 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores Yes
I don't see the benefit of selling your old games on steam? I could understand if there wasn't something called "Steam Sales".. How could you even compete with the number of Steam sales we get every year. You can pretty much bank that every season change we get a sale and that doesn't include the Christmas sale. Selling games in the past you were really only selling the physical media (CD/DVD). So, there really isn't anything to sale anymore. If PC game ever becomes the leader over consoles then trust me GameStop will do everything in it's power to figure out a way to resale old Steam games.. lol

System Name Thought I'd be done with this by now
Processor i7 11700k 8/16
Motherboard MSI Z590 Pro Wifi
Cooling Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4, 9x aigo AR12
Memory 32GB GSkill TridentZ Neo DDR4-4000 CL18-22-22-42
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 2x Geforce RTX 3070
Storage 1TB MX300 M.2 OS + Games, + cloud mostly
Display(s) Samsung 40" 4k (TV)
Case Lian Li PC-011 Dynamic EVO Black
Audio Device(s) onboard HD -> Yamaha 5.1
Power Supply EVGA 850 GQ
Mouse Logitech wireless
Keyboard same
VR HMD nah
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores no one cares anymore lols
pretty sure the returns policy is the used games sales policy. Ie you don't like it, you return it to steam, and they resell the key. Not sure how steams compensation package works with the publishers (whether the publishers get a cut of steam sales or just what steam pays for the keys initially), but it seems like that works to cover the basis. Obviously after 3 hours in game you're f'd but that's how things roll. I don't see steam allowing used game sales as it's in direct competition to them. Why would they allow you to take a cut? They get all of it anyways. Plus what discount could you apply that would beat their seasonal sales? If they get a cut plus a transaction fee there's very little for you left.

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Yes, it's doable. If the "pre-owned" game will be listed buyers at, say, $10; if sold, $6 goes to the seller (via paypal or Steam credit), and $4 to the publisher. Something like that could be doable.

Not trying to be a dick.

Its exactly like some custom cars, where I may buy a car and modify it. Or a GPU, where I may use it, slap a cooler on it and the MFG doesn't get another cent for supplying drivers to first party, or tenth party users.

The idea needs to be the same though, as all values for cars, GPU's, phones, gold and even money is arbitrary decided.

Except that in case of pre-owned cars, there's wear and tear. A pre-owned game which is distributed over the web is good as new.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
Yes, it's doable. If the "pre-owned" game will be listed buyers at, say, $10; if sold, $6 goes to the seller (via paypal or Steam credit), and $4 to the publisher. Something like that could be doable.

Except that in case of pre-owned cars, there's wear and tear. A pre-owned game which is distributed over the web is good as new.

So in that scenario I should be able to load up a game made for DOS on my PC and its the developers job to ensure it works with the current OS that I am using without faults or failures then too.

Here in the US if Chevy makes a car and you buy it used and there is an issue with it (like a key switch overheating and causing a fire) they can be sued for failure to meet safety standards and forced to fix every vehicle. Same for every manufacturer.

Developers are not held to this same standard, I have a Rayman game I bought for my kids that doesn't work, and there is no patch for it, I bought Test Drive Unlimited for full retail and it was complete and utter shit, in the case of pre-owned anything digital you take the risk that it runs poorly and the developer doesn't have to support you (see windows XP) and if it has issues that prevent it from running at all there is jack that you can do about it. A car however old can be fixed and driven on the road, Model T cars still run on the road just fine, and can use the same common fuel we use, the same engine oil, the same coolant, the same gear oil and you can work on it yourself without breaking the law or it being repossessed, remotely locked, or having your warranty denied. http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0138-auto-warranties-routine-maintenance

We have no such protection with digital purchases, despite paying the same price as for a hard copy (books, games, movies, music) many times, despite the basics being the same, X86 capable processors, memory pools, Direct X is backwards compatible with older versions. We are giving away our rights as consumers, and losing our power to hold people accountable, we have regressed to the point where software or media has become no better than the snake oil salesmen of years past, they promise to fix everything and the consumers are left holding the bag when they flop.

On my point about money being arbitrary, the US dollar only holds value on the ability of the nation to pay its debt in like goods, or to wage war and eliminate the creditor. Sounds arbitrary to me, tomorrow the money could be worth half of what it is today (inflation, hyper-inflation) and values of things are set by what most people will pay for it, that is why a high end GPU costs $650 instead of $5000 or $5. Some person or people (Banks in the case of currency) set the value of things and we just accept it.

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
So in that scenario I should be able to load up a game made for DOS on my PC and its the developers job to ensure it works with the current OS that I am using without faults or failures then too.

Nice try at an analogy. DOS games are still sold on Steam/Origin/UPlay (as part of bundles and deep-discounts), with auto-run DOSBox layers that are almost invisible to the user, and play the way the devs intended.

Here in the US if Chevy makes a car and you buy it used and there is an issue with it (like a key switch overheating and causing a fire) they can be sued for failure to meet safety standards and forced to fix every vehicle. Same for every manufacturer.

Developers are not held to this same standard, I have a Rayman game I bought for my kids that doesn't work, and there is no patch for it, I bought Test Drive Unlimited for full retail and it was complete and utter shit, in the case of pre-owned anything digital you take the risk that it runs poorly and the developer doesn't have to support you (see windows XP) and if it has issues that prevent it from running at all there is jack that you can do about it. A car however old can be fixed and driven on the road, Model T cars still run on the road just fine, and can use the same common fuel we use, the same engine oil, the same coolant, the same gear oil and you can work on it yourself without breaking the law or it being repossessed, remotely locked, or having your warranty denied. http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0138-auto-warranties-routine-maintenance

We have no such protection with digital purchases, despite paying the same price as for a hard copy (books, games, movies, music) many times, despite the basics being the same, X86 capable processors, memory pools, Direct X is backwards compatible with older versions. We are giving away our rights as consumers, and losing our power to hold people accountable, we have regressed to the point where software or media has become no better than the snake oil salesmen of years past, they promise to fix everything and the consumers are left holding the bag when they flop.

On my point about money being arbitrary, the US dollar only holds value on the ability of the nation to pay its debt in like goods, or to wage war and eliminate the creditor. Sounds arbitrary to me, tomorrow the money could be worth half of what it is today (inflation, hyper-inflation) and values of things are set by what most people will pay for it, that is why a high end GPU costs $650 instead of $5000 or $5. Some person or people (Banks in the case of currency) set the value of things and we just accept it.

You continue to use car analogies, and it's consistently inaccurate.

In this particular instance, it'd be like be like Chevy rolling out a certified used vehicle program. You do know those already exist, right.

The manufacturer will extend their services warranty to whomever buys the used good, but in return they get paid. If Chevy decided to discontinue support they simply stop offering the certified used program. People are still allowed to resell their goods, but because no money goes to Chevy they are capable of washing their hand of any culpability. The exact same system can be implemented on Steam.

Likewise, Steam is rendering a service. The license transfer fee on their servers doesn't imply any support, so they get money for a service rendered and not a contractual obligation.

Finally, are you taking an economics 101 course or something? The United States has been off the gold standard for a long time. We were, in fact, one of the last major world players to do so. The reason economic structures don't collapse is MAD. If you screwed me, I'd screw my neighbor, who would screw their neighbor, until eventually you got screwed too. Mutually Assured Destruction, a primary consideration in game theory, is why WWIII wasn't fought between Soviet Russia and the US.

If you're going to start with the assumption that currency is not a relatively well stabilized item then you should leave society now. Your only logical conclusions should be that society will collapse. The only proper thing to do would be to create your own off the grid survival location. Heck, the internet is only here because of a few main servers. If any one of those were to fail we'd all need to have real in-person discussions. What a travesty! (heavy enough sarcasm there?)

Ahhzz

Staff member
System Name OrangeHaze / Silence
Processor i7-13700KF / i5-10400 /
Motherboard ROG STRIX Z690-E / MSI Z490 A-Pro Motherboard
Cooling Corsair H75 / TT ToughAir 510
Memory 64Gb GSkill Trident Z5 / 32GB Team Dark Za 3600
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2070 / Sapphire R9 290 Vapor-X 4Gb
Storage Hynix Plat P41 2Tb\Samsung MZVL21 1Tb / Samsung 980 Pro 1Tb
Display(s) 22" Dell Wide/24" Asus
Case Lian Li PC-101 ATX custom mod / Antec Lanboy Air Black & Blue
Audio Device(s) SB Audigy 7.1
Power Supply Corsair Enthusiast TX750
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed Wireless / Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum
Keyboard K68 RGB — CHERRY® MX Red
Software Win10 Pro \ RIP:Win 7 Ult 64 bit
The company already got retail price on the first purchase.. The company loses absolutely nothing.

.....t.
I disagree with you in principle.... If I purchase a game from.... Bethesda, let's say. I pay Beth a specified amount of money, either as a percentage from the reseller (GOG/STEAM), or directly to Beth. However, if I decide to purchase it directly from the "re-reseller", the original company does lose money. A game that I might have bought from them at the beginning, no longer brings them income....

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Motherboard ASRock Taichi X570
Cooling Water
Memory 32GB GSkill CL16 3600mhz
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Storage 2 x AData XPG 8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
Case Thermaltake Tower 900
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum

So why should the developer get a cut of it? When you sell a car do you send a cut to the manufacturer? When you sold your bike, did you send any to the manufacturer? If you collected basketball cards, and resold them, did you send any to the manufacturer? What about the player since it is their likeness? If I loan you my pencil to write your test, should we have to send pittance to the manufacturer since you would have had to buy one and they missed out?

When does it end?

Frankly, it is too bad that they may lose sales because of preowned markets. Welcome to the world. If your product is that good, people are not going to wait to buy it.

Edit: The only one that should get a cut, should be the ones organizing the sales and transfer of materials, whether that be electrons or what have you. Like Ebay. If no third party is involved, no one gets a cut.