• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Unlocked Realtek HD Audio Drivers Windows 7 & 8 (With Dolby Digital Live and DTS Interactive)

Spikecast

Hey guys,

Wanting to get Dolby Live for my Astro A40 headset. My Motherboard is an Asus Z97 Pro gamer, can anyone advise which drivers to use please?

System Name Lynni PS \ Lenowo TwinkPad T480
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700 Raphael \ i7-8550U Kaby Lake-R
Motherboard ASRock B650M PG Riptide Bios v. 2.02 AMD AGESA 1.1.0.0 \ Lenowo 20L60036MX Bios 1.47
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 Chromax.Black (Only middle fan) \ Lenowo WN-2
Memory G.Skill Flare X5 2x16GB DDR5 6000MHZ CL36-36-36-96 AMD EXPO \ Willk Elektronik 2x16GB 2666MHZ CL17
Video Card(s) Asus GeForce RTX™ 4070 Dual OC GPU: 2325-2355 MEM: 1462| Nvidia GeForce MX™ 150 2GB GDDR5 Micron
Storage Gigabyte M30 1TB|Sabrent Rocket 2TB| HDD: 10TB|1TB \ SKHynix 256GB 2242 3x2 | WD SN700 1TB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 27GP850-B 1440p@165Hz | LG 48CX OLED 4K HDR | AUO 14" 1440p IPS
Case Asus Prime AP201 White Mesh | Lenowo T480 chassis
Audio Device(s) Steelseries Arctis Pro Wireless
Power Supply Be Quiet! Pure Power 12 M 750W Goldie | 65W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeedy Wireless | Lenowo TouchPad & Logitech G305
Keyboard Akko 3108 DS Horizon V2 Cream Yellow | T480 UK Lumi
Software Win11 Pro 23H2 UK
Benchmark Scores 3DMARK: https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/89434432? GPU-Z: https://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/details/v3zbr
Hey guys,

Wanting to get Dolby Live for my Astro A40 headset. My Motherboard is an Asus Z97 Pro gamer, can anyone advise which drivers to use please?

U should have a Realtek ALC1150 chip on ur board, so just grap the new one and try it.

First of, I'm using Windows 7 SP1 - 64bit and my Motherboard is a MSI 970 Gaming.

I used the procedure from a few posts up, exactly as written except that i used the R2.71 driver that i downloaded from here.
The hacked .dll i used was the A1 download from the first post.

To enable "Test Mode" I used the command(as Administrator and booting windows afterwards):
bcdedit -set TESTSIGNING ON

To disable "Test Mode" I used the command(as Administrator and booting windows afterwards):
bcdedit -set TESTSIGNING OFF

If using the fraunhofer multichannel test to verify, which is an easy method, you should use a supported browser. I used IE 11, as firefox isn't supported.

For games that do not provide an option to configure the number of speakers and instead ask Windows for the number of speakers, it seems that Windows still report 2 speakers. This was an issue with Arma III, and I guess a lot of other games.
This can be solved using the procedure here.

Hope that helps.

I can confirm that everything you say above is working great on my msi h97 gaming 3 with ALC1150 using 2.71 drivers and A1 method on windows 8.1 64bit. Thanks for detailed information. :)

lets hope that this will work on Windows 10 too ;-) Looking forward on DX12 support for my GTX 970.....

Andrewx64

Hello I have tried 2.77 Drivers and now Im getting Test toned failed. I'm using 2.75 A1 method. Anyone have any ideas how to fix this without going through another installation?

Andrewx64

Noticed that 2.75 A1 method and realtek 2.78 drivers unlocks DTS neo PC but I get a failed to play test tone! when DTS or Dolby Digital Live are selected. I can't seem to get these working.

Andrewx64

Can confirm that A1 is working with R2.78 on my Asus Maximus VII Formula

Steps to Reproduce:
1. Test Mode On
2. Download R2.78 and replace the .dll in the file with the A1 .dll from the OP. (You'll have to change the .dll filename to include the "L")
3. Install R2.78 > Restart when requested > Complete Installation.
4. Regedit "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Audio". Add "DisableProtectedAudioDG" of DWORD (32bit value), Set Value to 1.
5. Test Mode Off
6. Restart your system.
7. Enjoy DDL without Test Mode, Disabling DSE, or any other hassles.

This was a necessary change for me due to recent changes in the BattlEye service for ArmA. Luckily, it worked on the first try without any issues.
Thanks to all who've posted and helped in this thread, you guys have been helping me out since January, and I hope that I can help someone else out with the steps above.

With the drivers 2.78 and with unlocked 2.75 A1 method and using the exact same procedure "Mostly" used I get the "failed to play test tone" and DTS NEO PC is enabled properly. But without Dolby or DTS even working. My motherboard is MSI G45 Z87 ALC 1150 chip.

Attachments

• dolby.jpg
    dolby.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 5,794
  • dolby2.png
    dolby2.png
    218.6 KB · Views: 1,915
  • upload_2015-6-19_18-45-41.png
    upload_2015-6-19_18-45-41.png
    219.3 KB · Views: 1,552
With the drivers 2.78 and with unlocked 2.75 A1 method and using the exact same procedure "Mostly" used I get the "failed to play test tone" and DTS NEO PC is enabled properly. But without Dolby or DTS even working. My motherboard is MSI G45 Z87 ALC 1150 chip.

Try 2.71 A1 method plus the dll procedure from mosty's post....

Last edited:

Andrewx64

Think i tried everything already even A1 method and downgraded my bios, nothing works so i guess i may need to buy a new motherboard.

Spikecast

I can't believe people are even messing with that whole driver signing business. It's not worth it, especially since it leaves your system vulnerable AND end up with an ugly watermark on your Windows desktop. I read even the watermark removal tool causes problems on your system..

The solution is to use the dll (alternate method) correctly.

Also, with the below method, you don't even need to change back the dll to the original DLL, it will use the unlocked one without complaining (I'm guessing due to the DisableProTectedAudioDG registry setting).

All you need to do is:

1. Download the Realtek 2.71 driver and replace it's DLL(s) with the unlocked ones from the first post of this thread (Alternate method). Also, right click the unlocked dll file, under the General tab, click on "Unblock", then hit "Apply".

2. Then, Go to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Audio"
add "DisableProtectedAudioDG" of DWORD (32bit value) type and set it to 1.

3. Finally run the Setup.exe for the driver you downloaded (and replaced it's appropriate dll). it will ask you if you want to install an unsigned driver, just say "Yes". It will automatically uninstall any Realtek driver you have and install your hacked driver. Only needs one automatic reboot.

That's it!

Both DTS Interactive and Dolby Digital Live option are selectable and work as intended.

PS: I tested this on Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit.

Just to say this method worked a treat for me on my AC1150 ASUS Z97 Pro Gamer board, I'm now getting the Digital live features. Are there any recent drivers that work with AC1150 using this same method?

GizZm0

Can confirm that A1 is working with R2.78 on my Asus Maximus VII Formula

Steps to Reproduce:
1. Test Mode On
2. Download R2.78 and replace the .dll in the file with the A1 .dll from the OP. (You'll have to change the .dll filename to include the "L")
4. Regedit "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Audio". Add "DisableProtectedAudioDG" of DWORD (32bit value), Set Value to 1.
5. Test Mode Off
6. Restart your system.

Thank you, just unlocked my ALC892 on my Zotac ZBox ID18 with this manual!
DTS through SPDIF works now without any problems

[QUOTE="
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Test Mode On
5. Test Mode Off
6. Restart your system.
[/QUOTE]

anyone tried this with windows 10 ??? pfffff i have just get it to work with windows 8.1 with normal boots! so no F8 hazzle etc.
So im a little scared of when i get the windows 10 upgrade file it will not detect it anymore!

Just to say this method worked a treat for me on my AC1150 ASUS Z97 Pro Gamer board, I'm now getting the Digital live features. Are there any recent drivers that work with AC1150 using this same method?

Test my friend ;D

Just got it working on the latest R2.79 driver w/ Dolby Digital Live and DTS working properly (Z97 PRO WIFI AC/ USB 3.1 w/ ALC1150)

seetully

Have tried everything!

Windows 8.1 64BIt
ALC892
MSI GS60 Ghost Pro 2PE Laptop

Using SPDIF Out to my Astro MixAmp Pro..still haven't gotten DTS or Dolby to populate in Realtek GUI.

[QUOTE="
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Test Mode On
5. Test Mode Off
6. Restart your system.

anyone tried this with windows 10 ??? pfffff i have just get it to work with windows 8.1 with normal boots! so no F8 hazzle etc.
So im a little scared of when i get the windows 10 upgrade file it will not detect it anymore![/QUOTE]

Look like this isn't the driver but windows 10 related even the normal drivers has problems with the 5.1 surround optical audio out

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...=question&status=AllReplies,AllReplies&page=8

ziplock9000

Complete solution (Windows 8.1 - 64 Bit / Z98P-D3 / Realtek ALC887)

1. Downloaded drivers R2.71 and the Unlocked R2.71 file for A1 method
2. Enabled test mode with "Bcdedit.exe -set TESTSIGNING OFF" as administrator in a command prompt, rebooted
3. Manually uninstalled existing drivers, rebooted
4. Signed the sys file using DSEO
5. Installed the drivers
6. Copied the sys file to windows/system32/drivers
7. Rebooted
8. Did this registry trick. Regedit "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Audio". Add "DisableProtectedAudioDG" of DWORD (32bit value), Set Value to 1.
9. Rebooted
10. Followed the steps on this page to get the remaining games to work (like Witcher 3) http://www.reddit.com/r/witcher/comments/36h29c/surround_sound_51/
11. Reboot
12. PROFIT!

Notes:
Step 8 is to make the dropdown actually play sound instead of being just a mute dropdown.
Step 10 is to fix some games that think they are in stereo mode. Prior to this, Skyrim worked in 5.1, but Witcher 3 didn't. This fixes that issue.
-------------------------------------------------------
Windows 8.1 - 64 Bit / Z98P-D3 / Realtek ALC887

Last edited:

ziplock9000

No errors msg here and Dolby 5.1 and DTS I are working however only in ANALOG mode . Just wonder what is that SONIC thing in the driver tab I left it disable . SRS is disabled automatically to give priority to XFi-MB software.
They always did, even with the standard driver. This thread only pertains to the digital connection.

visormail

I can't believe people are even messing with that whole driver signing business. It's not worth it, especially since it leaves your system vulnerable AND end up with an ugly watermark on your Windows desktop. I read even the watermark removal tool causes problems on your system..

The solution is to use the dll (alternate method) correctly.

Also, with the below method, you don't even need to change back the dll to the original DLL, it will use the unlocked one without complaining (I'm guessing due to the DisableProTectedAudioDG registry setting).

All you need to do is:

1. Download the Realtek 2.71 driver and replace it's DLL(s) with the unlocked ones from the first post of this thread (Alternate method). Also, right click the unlocked dll file, under the General tab, click on "Unblock", then hit "Apply".

2. Then, Go to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Audio"
add "DisableProtectedAudioDG" of DWORD (32bit value) type and set it to 1.

3. Finally run the Setup.exe for the driver you downloaded (and replaced it's appropriate dll). it will ask you if you want to install an unsigned driver, just say "Yes". It will automatically uninstall any Realtek driver you have and install your hacked driver. Only needs one automatic reboot.

That's it!

Both DTS Interactive and Dolby Digital Live option are selectable and work as intended.

PS: I tested this on Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit.

Hi! I also did this, with the R2.79 driver + R2.75 A1 DLL like in this description. It installed sucessfully, I have new tabs in the Realtek manager both in the analog and the digital (spdif optical) part: Dolby Home Theater, DTS connect, Dolby/DTS.
The problem is, there aren't Dolby and DTS in the default format list.
It's a GA-F2A88XM-HD3 motherboard http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4727#sp with ALC887

CrystalShadow

Hi I am trying to figure out what is going wrong as I try to use this.
I have an asrock Z77 Extreme 3 (http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z77 Extreme3/) mobo, with ALC892 codec, running windows 8.1.
The hardware IDs for Realtek High definition audio in device manager are:
HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0892&SUBSYS_1849C892&REV_1003
HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0892&SUBSYS_1849C892

I couldnt find the audio controller in device manager(Might have missed but I looked, I do have sound)

I am not sure which version drivers I should install before implementing the drag/drop of the driver files, or if I am perhaps using the wrong files. It all installs, but DTS does not get added to the optical port.
Any help appreciated, thanks.

Shiroyasha

I'm not sure how to get this to work on a Z87 G45 Msi Gaming, I saw it that it could work but I just don't understand which one file to download and how to install it on my system a Windows 7 Professional. Could someone come up with a guide for me it would really help me, Sorry for my inconvenience.

Andrei

Hi!
I Created an account just to help the ones that didn't sauced in unlocking DDL and DTS interactive. All the information was already in the forum but i think it as not clear enough.

It is quite Simple:
1. Install preferred Driver version. (the one that you already have installed might also work (I tested 2,70, 2,72, 2,79 with success)

2. a) If you have Win 64 Bits go to Windows\System32\ and look for RtkAPO64.dll or RltkAPO64.dll ( you will find only one, depending on driver version. As you can see one has extra "l" )
b) If you are running x86 win look for the file RtkAPO.dll or RltkAPO.dll - Didn't test this but should work the same as 64 bits

3. Rename the file by adding a bak at the end (eg RtkAPO64.dllbak)

4. Get the unlocked file 64 or 32 bits depending on your Win version : (I used this one form post 473) Windows Vista / 7 / 8 - 64 bit - R2.75 A1: http://rghost.net/8LJCkFHyS

5. Copy the dll file to Windows\System32\ . Be careful to give it the correct name depending on what you found initially in System 32 with/without extra "l"

5 Regedit "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Audio". Add "DisableProtectedAudioDG" of DWORD (32bit value), Set Value to 1.

6. Restart
You should now have working DDL and DTS .

Don't have to turn on test mode or driver signature enforcement.
Hope it helps!

PS: In Windows 10 unlock works the same way but there is no sound in DDL or DTS. I am 99% sure that the lack of sound is not related to the unlock but it is a windows or driver problem.

Last edited: