• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Bad image quality for NVIDIA GPUs at default settings

Status
Not open for further replies.
System Name Mroofie / Mroofie
Processor Inte Cpu i5 4460 3.2GHZ Turbo Boost 3.4
Motherboard Gigabyte B85M-HD3
Cooling Stock Cooling
Memory Apacer DDR3 1333mhz (4GB) / Adata DDR3 1600Mhz(8GB) CL11
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gtx 960 WF
Storage Seagate 1TB / Seagate 80GB / Seagate 1TB (another one)
Display(s) Philips LED 24 Inch 1080p 60Hz
Case Zalman T4
Audio Device(s) Meh
Power Supply Antec Truepower Classic 750W 80 Plus Gold
Mouse Meh
Keyboard Meh
VR HMD Meh
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores Meh
Another link read the comments please

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2437903&page=3

Birdie needs to do some research :nutkick:

That person is mistaking in-game setting with driver UI settings I pointed out.

As far as color goes you can see the confusion in this posted screen grab

Somehow Limited range appeared to be more detailed and prefered to a person.

The color can be correct for both but DEFAULTS are in question.

More people have to do DEFAULT only test in various games to see if there is a difference in how drivers handle the IQ. For this to go anywhere.

If hes capturing video with-in AMD Fury X, CCC has a separate video color enhancements which are on by default. He'll have to turn that off or capture it from output so it wont have an effect on video comparisons.

Last edited:
Found something interesting there
Originally Posted by Atomic Playboy
GTA V has an issue with the ingame Anisotropic Filtering on Nvidia cards; basically, it doesn't work right. Disable AF in the ingame menu and force 16x AF through the Nvidia control panel (make sure to choose "Override application setting"). Also set the filtering quality to "High Quality." That should fix the texture filtering issues (as shown in this comparison shot).http://international.download.nvidi...ering-interactive-comparison-1-on-vs-off.html
So this means every GTA V bench for nVidia cards are inaccurate in term of AF setting?

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
I love my Nvidia image quality, so much I bought shares in the company and smoked my AMD shares.

But seriously, I'm all for tech discussion, and praise to @Xzibit for being very neutral with good, honest info but this thread is still toeing the line of doom.
I guarantee right now people are googling "Nvidia bad image quality" and just posting it here without any recourse to technical dissection or logical thought.
Think I'll go start a thread on why Fury X has such poor frame rate latency in many games.

Edit: it does you know. Though not as bad as poor old Kepler :(

AsRock

TPU addict
Processor AMD 3900X \ AMD 7700X
Motherboard ASRock AM4 X570 Pro 4 \ ASUS X670Xe TUF
Cooling D15
Memory Patriot 2x16GB PVS432G320C6K \ G.Skill Flare X5 F5-6000J3238F 2x16GB
Video Card(s) eVga GTX1060 SSC \ XFX RX 6950XT RX-695XATBD9
Storage Sammy 860, MX500, Sabrent Rocket 4 Sammy Evo 980 \ 1xSabrent Rocket 4+, Sammy 2x990 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 1080P \ LG 43UN700
Case Fractal Design Pop Air 2x140mm fans from Torrent \ Fractal Design Torrent 2 SilverStone FHP141x2
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V677 \ Yamaha CX-830+Yamaha MX-630 Infinity RS4000\Paradigm P Studio 20, Blue Yeti
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-750 \ Corsair RM1000X Shift
Mouse Steelseries Sensei wireless \ Steelseries Sensei wireless
Keyboard Logitech K120 \ Wooting Two HE
Benchmark Scores Meh benchmarks.
That person is mistaking in-game setting with driver UI settings I pointed out.

As far as color goes you can see the confusion in this posted screen grab

Somehow Limited range appeared to be more detailed and prefered to a person.

The color can be correct for both but DEFAULTS are in question.

More people have to do DEFAULT only test in various games to see if there is a difference in how drivers handle the IQ. For this to go anywhere.

If hes capturing video with-in AMD Fury X, CCC has a separate video color enhancements which are on by default. He'll have to turn that off or capture it from output so it wont have an effect on video comparisons.

Why you posing this crap still ?, 1st off the picture's are different AGAIN just like the ones from Sleeping Dogs were it could be just a angle or even bug in game or drivers, or in this case some one fucked with the color settings lol.

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
Isn't the purpose of this Comments and feedback section for topics relative to TPU, not general hardware or software?
If the OP wanted to whine about graphics cards and settings then he could have said what he wanted in one of the many existing threads!

This all started at wccftech (the conspiracy) why am I not surprised :rolleyes:
After the gtx 970 fiasco every fanboy out there is looking for problems where there aren't none :shadedshu: (espically now after the fury x got ripped)

:pimp::pimp::pimp:

Thing is this was an issue way back in the day. Both parties were reducing the quality of graphics to get better 3DMark scores. It would not surprise me to see it happen again.

I haven't seen any real or reputable sources doing these tests to really believe any of this. Until then or I do the tests myself (I have no AMD card other than a 4830) I am calling it fud. But I can't say it's not possible.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
Personally, my view if you really want to compare picture quality, the settings should be done IN GAME settings. Also, you MUST have the exact same scene at the same time of day in game. Only with all this can you see if there are any real differences in the cards' ability to render a quality image, and only then can you compare frame rates.

Interestingly, I believe that is how W1zzard does HIS testing.

Can anyone check whether the default setting of image quality in nV control panel is 'quality' override or 'let the application decide'? Because it's high chance that every reviewer don't even touch there and just let it to default.

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Software W10
Can anyone check whether the default setting of image quality in nV control panel is 'quality' override or 'let the application decide'? Because it's high chance that every reviewer don't even touch there and just let it to default.

I just checked mine - I'm perfectly happy with the settings. They're mostly allowing application control and all non app controlled are set to high. A few features are set to off but these aren't ones I even care about. I also have the option of doing whatever the hell I want.

@W1zzard - what setting do you use. Just to shut this
muppet
up.

Nvidia fixed the issue many months ago with a driver update. You get full color 0-255 HDMI now. Really, you should know better than to post a year old link.

Can you source that? otherwise @Xzibit will tear you a new one - he's quite good at finding things.

Some people claim that NVIDIA GPUs produce worse image quality than AMD GPUs using the same in-game settings which gives NVIDIA an edge.

One example:

Another example:

I wonder if W1zzard could write an article comparing image quality in BF4 and GTA5 (these are the games where the difference is the most striking) for top NVIDIA (980Ti/Titan X) and AMD GPUs (R9 390X/Fury X).

Thank you.

Where did you find the second pic? Also at AT forums? Quite funny because I also posted it there as an example of a disingenuous argument vs a comparison pic with my Nvidia card when I originally argued this a couple years ago. Anyway here is same scene/location with my Nvidia card:

Just incredible how far people are willing to go to conceal or omit info or facts that may debunk their argument.

I just checked mine - I'm perfectly happy with the settings. They're mostly allowing application control and all non app controlled are set to high. A few features are set to off but these aren't ones I even care about. I also have the option of doing whatever the hell I want.

@W1zzard - what setting do you use. Just to shut this
muppet
up.

Can you source that? otherwise @Xzibit will tear you a new one - he's quite good at finding things.
Jeezuz... how about from people how actually own Nvidia cards who may be more informed than those who dont? In case you dont believe them, well, here:

https://pcmonitors.info/articles/correcting-hdmi-colour-on-nvidia-and-amd-gpus/

Btw.. I mentioned this debate at AT forums where someone posted a set of pics comparing 660ti vs 7950.. well to his surprise, I posted my Nvidia screen shots at same scenes/locations in Sleeping Dogs. I can only imagine the embarrassment of those trying to ride on that argument.

See the differences:

His furnished pics.

My own pics.

Did I ask about your settings? I'm asking the DEFAULT settings. You didn't bother to answer my question btw.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700X
Motherboard ASUS STRIX X570-E
Cooling NOCTUA NH-U12A
Memory G.Skill FlareX 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX 4070 DUAL
Storage 1 TB WD Black SN850X | 2 TB WD Blue SN570 | 10 TB WD Purple Pro
Display(s) LG 32QP880N 32"
Case Fractal Design Define R5 Black
Power Supply Seasonic Focus Gold 750W
Mouse Pulsar X2
Keyboard KIRA EXS

On 353.30, the differences between Default settings and "Quality" is :

Default : Anisotropic Filtering - Application-controlled
Quality : Anisotropic Filtering - 8X

Default : Antialiasing Mode - Application-controlled
Quality : Antialiasing Mode - Override any application setting

Default : Antialiasing Setting - Application-controlled
Quality : Antialiasing Setting - 4X

That's it.

Last edited:
Nvidia fixed the issue many months ago with a driver update. You get full color 0-255 HDMI now. Really, you should know better than to post a year old link.
I should also add that this would only have been an issue for those who did not have DVI or DP as an option. Monitors with only HDMI must be rare to come by.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
Another link read the comments please

Birdie needs to do some research :nutkick:

Yeah, really, ... or maybe in the same thread people are proving my point:

http://forums.anandtech.com/showpost.php?p=37532964&postcount=67

Still poor lod distance for Titan X, and poor AF.
Which means NVIDIA is cheating and their products might actually be slower than what reviews and reviewers are saying. Anyways I've moved to respective threads at anandtech and overclockers forums since people over there are actually discussing the issue instead of calling names or calling one another "fanboy".

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Software W10
Which means NVIDIA is cheating and their products might actually be slower than what reviews and reviewers are saying. Anyways I've moved to respective threads at anandtech and overclockers forums since people over there are actually discussing the issue instead of calling names or calling one another "fanboy".

Or when a supposition is not fully supported, OP ups sticks and goes somewhere else where he might find back up.
Really, there is no major issue here at all. The default settings are almost all high quality or off, for some more exotic FX. But these settings are easily over ridden in NCP.
For this topic to be relevant you actually do NEED to know what the reviews used. Spouting assumptions about settings that you can't possibly know without that knowledge is just plain daft.
Ask the reviewers, don't create flame threads for your delectation. It's like me creating a thread about what boxer shorts you wear without knowing if you even wear them.
Find the proof, then we can discuss it. The null hypothesis is "Reviewers selecting default NCP options result in no fps increases above equivalent AMD CCC settings."
So, do reviewers use default? Can you control variables by matching identical AMD settings? Is there an unfair advantage from this two known factors?

Without knowing the variables used in reviews, all you get is people without any actual empirical evidence spouting unsubstantiated opinions.

End of.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
So, now you are outright accusing, instead of inquiring. We all suspected when you presented two Sleeping Dogs screenshots that looked 5 miles apart in quality.

As to moving your discussion on overclockers and anandtech, enjoy their less informed opinions and total head nodding to your flame attempts.

Mods, on that note, can we please close this?

Cooling Stock Cooling
Case Zalman T4
Audio Device(s) Meh
Mouse Meh
Keyboard Meh
VR HMD Meh
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores Meh
Yeah, really, ... or maybe in the same thread people are proving my point:

http://forums.anandtech.com/showpost.php?p=37532964&postcount=67

Look at blued's comment aka his pictures :rolleyes:

So, now you are outright accusing, instead of inquiring. We all suspected when you presented two Sleeping Dogs screenshots that looked 5 miles apart in quality.

As to moving your discussion on overclockers and anandtech, enjoy their less informed opinions and total head nodding to your flame attempts.

Finally someone else with a brain too :pimp:

Cooling Stock Cooling
Case Zalman T4
Audio Device(s) Meh
Mouse Meh
Keyboard Meh
VR HMD Meh
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores Meh

I have seem some comments on both of those sites shocking!

Viva retarded comments o_Oo_Oo_O :wtf::wtf::wtf:

:laugh::laugh::laugh:
(Ps i needed to use retarded don't kill me :lovetpu: )

Why you posing this crap still ?, 1st off the picture's are different AGAIN just like the ones from Sleeping Dogs were it could be just a angle or even bug in game or drivers, or in this case some one fucked with the color settings lol.[/QUOTE

Epic comment is epic ;)

Last edited:
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
Since thread/discussion is based on misinformation, continuing this discussion seems to be a moot point.

Status
Not open for further replies.