• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Microsoft to make Windows 10 updates mandatory

Do you think mandatory Windows 10 updates are a good idea?

• Total voters

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Microsoft makes updates mandatory in W10 for everyone except for enterprise users. This is good in that it keeps one's Windows fully updated at all times, but I think there are a few downsides to forcing users to have the latest updates.

- How will they handle updates and reboots to minimise disruption to workflow? For gamers, imagine some fat updates installing in the middle of an intense online game. It would completely wreck it with tanking framerates, lagging and potential errors, as well as bombing out of the game. Presumably Microsoft have thought of this and will avoid such scenarios.

- Bandwidth limits. Many people don't have high bandwidth internet access and on top of that they may not have an unlimited usage quota. Being forced to download the updates would cause problems, especially with using up allocated bandwidth and either being shut off, throttled or having to pay more for it.

- It gives Microsoft an easy way to force updates which are only in their own interests and not in those of the user's. The one I can think of is the product activation anti-tampering update 971033 which many people avoided since it was very intrusive, checking up on an installation every month. A later version stopped this behaviour after a public outcry. However, such outcries might be ineffective if one has to accept every update. This last point is the biggest reason in my book to be against such forced updates.

What do you all think? Check out the article and let me know.

www.theregister.co.uk/2015/07/16/windows_10_will_update_whether_you_like_it_or_not_unless_you_have_enterprise_edition

dorsetknob

"YOUR RMA REQUEST IS CON-REFUSED"
Dorset where else eh? >>> Thats ENGLAND<<<
What no Credit >>>>re post #176
Smirk :p:laugh:

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
How will they handle updates and reboots to minimise disruption to workflow?
Same as they do now: forced restart 24 hours after install if you didn't do it before then. Pretty sure the updates run low priority so everything else takes precedent.

Bandwidth limits.
Updates are usually only a few megabytes in size. They download in the background just like installs. The only way you could tell it was downloading was via 56K. I wouldn't be surprised if automatic updates are disabled when connecting via dialup modem.

It gives Microsoft an easy way to force updates which are only in their own interests and not in those of the user's.
Microsoft has the same do-no-harm policy as other technology companies. If they deliberately do something to piss users off, their popularity as a software manufacturer will plummet so they don't or fix it if enough complain, as noted.

Check out the article and let me know.
The Register

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Keyboard Yes
What no Credit >>>>re post #176
Smirk :p:laugh:
Sorry man, I hadn't seen it. The Reg is on my go-to bookmarks for my most frequently visited sites so saw it that way. Post duly thanked! :toast:

@FordGT90Concept I agree with nearly everything you've written except for The Register being a poor news source, as it's actually quite respected. Now if it had been Fudzilla...

As far as forcing those self-interest updates, I wouldn't be so sure. While people have the ability to block a dodgy update, the power remains with the user. This transfers that power to a corporation who's sole interest is in making more and more money from its customers. I reckon they'll try it on, doing a cost-benefit analysis between achieving their aims with the dodgy patch and any potential backlash. This sort of analysis is something that companies, governments, politicians etc do all the time, so I don't see why it wouldn't apply here.

System Name Obelisc
Processor i7 3770k @ 4.8 GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V
Cooling H110
Memory 16GB(4x4) @ 2400 MHz 9-11-11-31
Video Card(s) GTX 780 Ti
Storage 850 EVO 1TB, 2x 5TB Toshiba
Case T81
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Titanium HD
Power Supply EVGA 850 T2 80+ TITANIUM
Software Win10 64bit
Since when did they change that to include Pro? That's what most of us here will end up with. Home users are probably better off.

Processor Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard Asus TUF-Gaming B550-Plus
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S
Memory 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo F4-3600C16D-32GTZNC
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon Rx 580 Nitro+ 8GB
Storage HP EX950 512GB + Samsung 970 PRO 1TB
Display(s) HP Z Display Z24i G2
Case Fractal Design Define R6 Black
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster AE-5
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME Ultra 650W Gold
Mouse Roccat Kone AIMO Remastered
Software Windows 10 x64
I am only worried about stuff that is not actually updates but crapware features noone asked for. Like that Silverlight shit I haven't ever figured out what it does. Or drivers. Hell if everything from WU is treated like updates and forced, I will simply not install the system. Ever.

I don't like the idea. Because I've always opted out of automatic updates. Preferring to do them manually. For all of the reasons previously mentioned(and any I can't think of at the moment).

But since it's been this way with the W10 Insider/Tech Preview from the beginning, I've actually gotten somewhat used to it. And I don't really have too many gripes about it. As it hasn't caused me any major difficulties yet. In fact the only issue I've had has been resolved, apparently, with the last few builds. Which was it repeatedly wanting to install the AMD WHQL 15.20 Catalyst drivers on a daily basis. Because I kept installing the 15.3 beta drivers immediately afterwards. The 15.3 beta drivers I've found to work best with my system. And now they don't require being constantly overwritten. So somebody's feedback about that must have worked.

In summation, I voted no. I don't think they're a good idea. I just hope they don't cause me too much trouble in the future. Because I'll still be taking Windows 10, in all its price free glory, whether I like it or not. And I actually like it very much at this stage. So for now, it seems to be a good thing.

On a relevant note, one can choose to in place upgrade from Pro to Enterprise if one wishes. Which sounds like it solves whatever issues might arise in that department.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_10_editions

I've already done so with my pro version of the preview. Just this morning. Because I found out I could(or rather how I could). This was prior to finding out about this mandatory update clause. But now I think I might be even more glad I did that. We'll see.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
Like that Silverlight shit I haven't ever figured out what it does.
It was a direct competitor to Adobe's Flash. Now both are being killed off in favour of HTML5, which is a very good thing.

Processor Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard Asus TUF-Gaming B550-Plus
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S
Memory 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo F4-3600C16D-32GTZNC
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon Rx 580 Nitro+ 8GB
Storage HP EX950 512GB + Samsung 970 PRO 1TB
Display(s) HP Z Display Z24i G2
Case Fractal Design Define R6 Black
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster AE-5
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME Ultra 650W Gold
Mouse Roccat Kone AIMO Remastered
Software Windows 10 x64
Is there anyone who actually ever used that?
Flash will be with us for quite a few more years I guess (way longer than it should).

System Name Personal \\ Work - HP EliteBook 840 G6
Processor 7700X \\ i7-8565U
Motherboard Asrock X670E PG Lightning
Cooling Noctua DH-15
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Black 32GB 6000MHz CL36 \\ 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) ASUS RoG Strix 1070 Ti \\ Intel UHD Graphics 620
Storage 2x KC3000 2TB, Samsung 970 EVO 512GB \\ OEM 256GB NVMe SSD
Display(s) BenQ XL2411Z \\ FullHD + 2x HP Z24i external screens via docking station
Case Fractal Design Define Arc Midi R2 with window
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150 with Logitech Z533
Power Supply Corsair AX860i
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Corsair K55 RGB PRO
Software Windows 11 \\ Windows 10
Flash will be with us for quite a few more years I guess (way longer than it should).

Netflix did.
Also, Microsoft's own SCCM Application web portal uses it. If you have SCCM in your workplace, there is a chance you used it.
Also I have seen it few times on net.

Processor Intel® Celeron® Processor G1101
Motherboard Supermicro® MBD-C7SIM-Q-B
Memory 8 GB Silicon Power SP004GBLTU133N02/W02
Video Card(s) Sapphire FirePro™ 2270 + AMD Radeon™ HD 8740
Storage 1000 GB Toshiba P300 HDWD110UZSVA
Display(s) 29" LG 29UM57-P
Case Chieftec LBX-02B-U3
Power Supply 650W XFX XXX Edition (P1-650X-XXB9)
Software Windows Server 2016
Brace yourself, tech support people. Lots of OEM-customized machines (AIOs, laptops, tablets)... Now plagued by endless BSODs, boot-looping, denial of service in all forms and flavors, - all because of incompatible, retail-oriented drivers, now being forcibly installed on PCs during maintenance window. The OS won't even prompt the user about the fact that said drivers ARE being installed at a given moment (what stops you from turning off your device then?), this is just plain scary.

I've seen what a single general-purpose Intel HD graphics driver can do on an Enduro-enabled computer, it's a havoc, I'm telling you. Brightness control is gone, accessing S3 state makes machine stop responding to any input. And it's on Windows Update, it's WHQL-ed, so in no way can you opt-out from that thing. Just roll back the driver and pray that you won't be "offered" a new version when it gets updated again.

Words cannot express my disapproval.

Silverlight is a huge platform (and used to be very active back in the day), handles a lot more than just playing videos on the web. Very flexible, runs in lots of environments as well, yet the programming model is universal and doesn't require you to target specific features. For some reason people think that it's an alternative to Flash of some kind, but in reality it's more of an enterprise-grade toolkit for building internet applications and other cool things. Deprecated now, as JavaScript has taken over everything (sigh)...

Processor Intel Core i3-8100
Motherboard ASRock H370 Pro4
Cooling Cryorig M9i
Memory 16GB G.Skill Aegis DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 WindForce OC 3GB
Storage Crucial MX500 512GB SSD
Display(s) Dell S2316M LCD
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black Pearl
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC892
Power Supply Corsair CX600M
Mouse Logitech M500
Keyboard Lenovo KB1021 USB
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
I prefer to review the updates before installing anything. Just because Microsoft says I should have it doesn't necessarily mean that I want it. And every once-in-a-long-while, Microsoft will publish an update that hoses some PCs. I want to have final say before installing updates (it is my computer, after all...).

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
I am only worried about stuff that is not actually updates but crapware features noone asked for. Like that Silverlight shit I haven't ever figured out what it does. Or drivers. Hell if everything from WU is treated like updates and forced, I will simply not install the system. Ever.
Automatic updates only apply to critical/security updates. Optional stuff like drivers and Silverlight will remain optional (won't install unless user tells it to).

Silverlight is like Flash but .NET Framework and WPF based (Model-View-ViewModel). Silverlight is a lot better than Flash but Microsoft is killing it off in favor of HTML5. Edge browser won't support Silverlight. Silverlight never got much traction because Flash was dominant and it appeared not long before HTML5 was starting to get support.

Case Chieftec LBX-02B-U3
Optional stuff like drivers
If only. Most drivers (like the ones for GPUs) were always considered to be "Important Updates" (with rare exceptions) and will be pushed onto any Windows machine, whether it's running Windows 8.1 or Windows 10. Starting with Windows 10 though, you can never, ever block them in any way before they get to install, and only after that point you have an option to roll them back. That's how bad we have it, and that is why people should be concerned.

Again, if this was just about normal (actual) Windows Updates being automatically installed, this would've been a problem only with but a few paranoids.

Well, at the moment at least, you can choose to defer upgrades. Under Settings > Windows Updates > Advanced options you need to check the box labeled "Defer upgrades". What does that do? Good question. The answer I've found might illuminate it to a degree.

Defer upgrades in Windows 10
Applies to Windows 10
  • Some Windows 10 editions let you defer upgrades to your PC. When you defer upgrades, new Windows features won’t be downloaded or installed for several months. Deferring upgrades doesn’t affect security updates. Note that deferring upgrades will prevent you from getting the latest Windows features as soon as they’re available.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/defer-upgrades-in-windows-10

I hear this only applies to Pro and Enterprise editions. But I can't verify that.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
It really depends on what a "feature update" is IMO, and if it really does include drivers and monitor profiles (I downloaded a monitor profile once and it messed up the colours something fiercly). I understand why they're doing it, but I'm not sure I support it. If that is the way it will be for sure.

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
- How will they handle updates and reboots to minimise disruption to workflow? For gamers, imagine some fat updates installing in the middle of an intense online game. It would completely wreck it with tanking framerates, lagging and potential errors, as well as bombing out of the game. Presumably Microsoft have thought of this and will avoid such scenarios.

- Bandwidth limits. Many people don't have high bandwidth internet access and on top of that they may not have an unlimited usage quota. Being forced to download the updates would cause problems, especially with using up allocated bandwidth and either being shut off, throttled or having to pay more for it.

like this

Attachments

• updates.png
    updates.png
    31.6 KB · Views: 556
Case Chieftec LBX-02B-U3
What does that do? Good question.
They probably upgrade the built-in set of UWP APIs and/or add new ones when they become available (like, when you're being offered an update from build 10166 to 10240, that's basically how it goes, you get a newer version of some input-related type that's present on your machine in version 10166). That would be the only thing that makes sense, honestly. By deferring those, you get a time window for planning the migration, maybe updating your LOB applications/etc in respect with said type changes, and only then moving to another build, I guess?..

Last edited:
I don't want shit like Windows 10 notificaton crap being forced on me. That crap is nagging for several months now. Great, you already told me Win10 is coming out soon, 3 times this month. Stop bugging me.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
I just thought of something: what if you're on a cellular network, or using your phone as a mobile hotspot? For many people that is their only connection and in parts of the world the data is very limited.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
I just thought of something: what if you're on a cellular network, or using your phone as a mobile hotspot? For many people that is their only connection and in parts of the world the data is very limited.
That's a good point and ties up with my bandwidth limits point in my OP.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
The picture Solaris17 posted says Windows will not download updates on a "metered connection." That certainly includes 3G/4G.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches
Software Windows 11 Enterprise (legit), Gentoo Linux x64
You can still set this to disable updates via gpedit.msc, at least in RTM.

That said, this is still an awful idea. Not just in concept, but especially with how it's being handled.

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
Since when did they change that to include Pro? That's what most of us here will end up with. Home users are probably better off.
Pro has always been included, only enterprise is excluded.

You can still set this to disable updates via gpedit.msc, at least in RTM.

That said, this is still an awful idea. Not just in concept, but especially with how it's being handled.

I prefer "Notify but let me download and install". I always update as soon as possible, but on my own terms. Happened so many times before that I let Windows Update on "Automatic" and it rebooted my system in the middle of 30GB game download. came home from work, expecting game to be downloaded and the system was in fuckin sleep, because it force rebooted and went to sleep afterwards. Moronic to the max.