• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

HyperSLI (Enabling SLI on non-sli motherboards)

System Name Cooler Master Elite (case name)
Processor Amd 1090T X6 3.2Ghz
Motherboard Asus m4a89gtd pro/usb3
Cooling oversize fans
Memory 16 gigs ddr3 2000Mhz
Video Card(s) 2 - nvidia gtx 560's sli 2 gigs each video memory
Storage 6 - terabytes sata
Display(s) samsung syncmaster 2330 hd monitor
Case coolermaster elite
Audio Device(s) realtek on-board
Power Supply coolermaster 1000 watts
Software windows 7 64- bit enterprise
Benchmark Scores not available at this time.
Read through all my instructions first before starting!

*****If you have hypersli installed, run the hypersli installer and uninstall it and reboot your computer before proceeding!******

Hypersli doesn't support current nvidia drivers! That's why it doesn't work anymore...

1. Go to http://www.geforce.com/drivers, select your operating system and video board in the list, download the driver installer. If you already have 353.30 drivers installed, ignore
this step.

2. Download my patched nvlddmkm35330.rar file here:

http://www.gamefront.com/files/25077330/nvlddmkm3

This patched driver is only for nvidia driver 353.30.

*** NOTE *** always check back here on these forums for the current release version,
I will have the current version in the filename and when it was uploaded on any new
posts here. Also this driver is for 64 bit operating systems only! (windows 7 - windows 8.1
generally, this driver isn't for windows 10).

3. Go to https://github.com/EmberVulpix/DifferentSLIAuto/releases and download the 1.3 release file.

4. Unpack differentsli into a folder of your choice.

5. Unpack my patched nvlddmkm35330.rar file into the same folder where you put differentsli.

6. Install nvidia's official drivers (353.30).

7. Go back to where differentsli is installed, you might need to pause your anti-virus program too.

8. Open a command prompt (administrator version) and run the Install.cmd, it should say it was successful, if it says there was a problem, don't continue, post here as to what the error was. Unpause your anti-virus program.

9. Reboot your computer, once it's back up, go to your nvidia control panel and activate sli mode.

Please note, this patched driver is only for systems that don't otherwise support sli, my system only officially supports crossfire for example, but I'm running nvidia boards, not ati, so I have to install
my patched driver.

The only other reason to use this patched driver is if you want to mix different model nvidia video boards and still have sli mode to some degree. Please note the video bd has to
be 'new' enough to support sli, nearly every nvidia board made in the last 10 years should
be able to handle sli mode, a dead give away is if the bd in question has a sli bridge
connector on it.

Very important! make sure that the nvidia driver your downloading and the patched driver
your downloading matches in the version numbers, I'll always put for what version my
patched driver file is for in the download link, don't get them mixed up...

I hope my explanation helps.

Have fun!

You didn't say in your specs what operating system your running, it has to be 64-bit and
has to be one of the following:

Windows 7 64 bit
Windows 8 64 bit
Windows 8.1 64 bit

This driver probably won't work on windows 10, (don't have windows 10, so don't know that for sure, I wouldn't count on that though). If your running anything older then windows 7
or anything that's 32-bit, this driver probably won't work.

Tz0001

Thanks for the post!

Im running windows 7 ultimate 64bit.

So dont use hyper sli at all then? If im reading your instructions correctly.

Does virtualization technology need to be enabled or disabled? ( with your patch )

Could you elaborate on the command prompt / install.cmd step?

Thanks

No need to report back!

just followed your instructions and it now works thank you so much!

That was so simple soo happy now thanks again

-Thomas

Last edited by a moderator:
Cooling oversize fans
Case coolermaster elite
Glad it's working!

Just to answer your question, I have virtual mode on in my bios.

Last edited:

stavros

I would like to ask you if
1. will i be able to sli 2 gtx 960?
2.can a 650W psu hadle them?
3.on a asrock z97 anniversary?

Cooling oversize fans
Case coolermaster elite
Answers to your questions in the order they were asked:

1. Yes (you can sli these 2 boards themselves, but not with your motherboard (sorry).
2. Just barely, a more powerful power supply wouldn't hurt (750-800 watts at least).
3. Your motherboard will *NOT* support sli or crossfire modes, see here for more details:
as it has only 1 x16 pci slot. Your best bet in this case is to use a single more powerful video board (900 series which you already have).

http://www.pc-specs.com/mobo/ASRock/ASRock_Z97_Anniversary/2903

Cooling oversize fans
Case coolermaster elite

duraramon

hmm , im success installing the sli and it give me SLI option , but after testing in on game ( Dying light ) right after loading it give me freeze and cant alt+f4 or task manager so i have to force restart ( button ) . i think there is something wrong hehehe

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

ok so , i try on another game and i think its working , so it mean some game is compatible and some game doesnt ? and when i boot up it become test mode ( windows 7 ) . turning off test mode and nvidia control panel is gone hahaha , so i changed it to test mode and it worked again

Last edited:
Cooling oversize fans
Case coolermaster elite
You can't turn off test mode, doing that will disable the driver, if you can select sli mode in the nvidia control panel, the patched driver is working as intended, if a game doesn't function
properly in sli mode, it's a issue with the game itself, not the driver, glad you got things running otherwise though!

Processor i7 5960x
Motherboard Asus Rampage V Extreme
Cooling Corsair H100i GTX
Memory Gskill Ripjaws V 4x8GB 3200Mhz
Video Card(s) GTX 1080 Sli
Storage SSD Samsung 850 pro 256 GB
Case NZXT Phantom 820
Power Supply EVGA 1000G2
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB
I have a question, i´m currently using differentsli 1.3 with two different brand of GTX 970 (Zotac and MSI) to enable sli on a sli capable motherboard (I can´t enable sli without it). If a swith one of the cards to match de brand and model and enable sli without differentsli will I gain more performance?

Cooling oversize fans
Case coolermaster elite
I'm a little confused by your question, sli is sli, either that mode of operation is available or it isn't, if you can't install standard drivers and get the sli option to be available in the control panel on a sli compatible motherboard,
then obviously there is some big difference between these 2 boards despite the fact they are the same model board, just by 2 different manufacturers, I don't think you would see a performance difference whether you
switch the boards around or not, the whole point of using the patched driver is make sli mode active. A good way to decide this is to run benchmark programs on both combinations, and which ever way gives better
performance is the one you go with, personally I don't think you'll see that big a difference either way, It's just that one way you need to use the patched driver and the other way you don't (This statement is based only
on the fact you said your motherboard itself was sli compatible). Most of the time, if there's a performance issue with a game it's because the game itself is having a problem with sli, this is not because of the
patched driver, if it makes sli mode available, then it's doing it's job properly.

Hope this helps a little!

Processor i7 5960x
Motherboard Asus Rampage V Extreme
Cooling Corsair H100i GTX
Memory Gskill Ripjaws V 4x8GB 3200Mhz
Video Card(s) GTX 1080 Sli
Storage SSD Samsung 850 pro 256 GB
Case NZXT Phantom 820
Power Supply EVGA 1000G2
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB
I'm a little confused by your question, sli is sli, either that mode of operation is available or it isn't, if you can't install standard drivers and get the sli option to be available in the control panel on a sli compatible motherboard,
then obviously there is some big difference between these 2 boards despite the fact they are the same model board, just by 2 different manufacturers, I don't think you would see a performance difference whether you
switch the boards around or not, the whole point of using the patched driver is make sli mode active. A good way to decide this is to run benchmark programs on both combinations, and which ever way gives better
performance is the one you go with, personally I don't think you'll see that big a difference either way, It's just that one way you need to use the patched driver and the other way you don't (This statement is based only
on the fact you said your motherboard itself was sli compatible). Most of the time, if there's a performance issue with a game it's because the game itself is having a problem with sli, this is not because of the
patched driver, if it makes sli mode available, then it's doing it's job properly.

Hope this helps a little!

Thank you for your answer. I´m gonna stick with the two cards using the fix. I was going to sell one of the cards and get another to match manufacturer and model but that would mean spending money. :)

Cooling oversize fans
Case coolermaster elite
That should work fine, the only real difference here is who made those boards...

sjil

Hey jbailey8, ive got an issue with test mode being activated, some games and features (for example battleye) is not compatible with test mode therefore multiplayer isnt an option for them games. Is there anyway around it, also my motherboard is meant to be sli ready and i have 2 GTX 760's but the sli option just wasnt available unless i have your patch. Another thing, with windows 10 being released in 5 days, will you have a patch ready by then or hopefully windows 10 just fixes the issue of the option not being in control panel.

Cooling oversize fans
Case coolermaster elite
There's nothing I can do about test mode, the driver being modified cancels out the signing certificates from nvidia and microsoft, so windows goes into test mode, this is a good thing or it would be very difficult to
get windows to let the modified driver run, the issue your having with battleye isn't something I can fix, only the developers of that application can do that, so far battleye is the only instance I know of where just
having test mode active is a problem for them. If your motherboard is really supposed to be sli ready (2 - x16 pci slots for example), try looking in your bios and make sure there isn't some sli related settings that
need to be changed (a on-board video chip that needs to be disabled for example), make sure your sli bridge is properly seated on the 2 video boards, you can also try swapping the boards around to see if that
makes a difference, I don't have windows 10 installed, nor do I have any plans to go to windows 10 anytime soon, therefore I can't test the patched driver for windows 10 compatibility, there's a slight chance it
will work, but I wouldn't be to confident about that for now, you can always try it and see, the worst that would probably happen is a blue-screen or no sli mode being available, a good way to test compatibility
is to install a standard nvidia driver on windows 10, if it installs and runs with no issues, there's a chance the patched driver would work. (make sure the version numbers match between the standard installed driver and the patched driver).

There is 1 possibility about test mode, I think there is a way to get the patched driver signed to get windows out of test mode, but I would have to pay a company to issue the signing certificate, the amount of money can
be quite steep, so you see why I haven't explored that option much at the moment.
The biggest reason sli mode is locked out on 'compatible' boards is the memory capacity
is different between the 2 boards (1 board has 2 gigs, the other one has 4 gigs for example).

I did some quick searches about battleye regarding this issue, see here:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/33930/discussions/5/617329505864379186/

scroll all the way down to the last post, hopefully it will help.

To sjil,

I went ahead and patched the windows 10 version of the 353.30 64 bit video driver, I had to also make minor changes to the install.cmd (nvlddmkm.sys changed to nvlddmkm2.sys), back up your original install.cmd file
and unpack the rar file to your differentsli directory and run the modified install.cmd after installing the standard windows 10 64 bit video driver.

Here's the download link:

Link updated to remove the bad install.cmd (my fault), use the install.cmd from
diffsliauto 1.3.1.

http://www.gamefront.com/files/25139488/nvlddmk

Also go here:

https://github.com/EmberVulpix/DifferentSLIAuto/releases

And download the latest differentsliauto 1.31

WARNING! WARNING! WARNING! WARNING!

I don't have windows 10 installed, I have **NO** way of testing the actual functionality of this driver on my system, you assume all responsibility and risk of trying this untested windows 10
video driver out on your computer! My best advice is to at least make a restore point and have your installation file/disk handy for windows 10 just in case something really stupid
happens.
I don't even know if the install.cmd will work properly on windows 10, it's meant for win7-win8.1...

You have been warned!!

If you decide to test this untested video driver out and it works with no issues, please post back here and let me know so I can start breathing again....

Last edited:
Check main DifferentSLIAuto thread for preliminary (untested) Windows 10 support.

sjil

jbailey8,
im still currently running windows 8.1 and will wait until windows 10 is realised to see if it fixes my issue I had before I installed your patch. I wouldn't plan I using the windows 10 patch without it being tested by another. If upgrading to windows 10 on my pc doesn't fix my issue then ill seek more assistance regarding the BIOS on the motherboard (there is updates but they don't support 64bit). also will the windows 10 upgrade released on the 29th override the patch you made and I installed for windows 8.1(removing test mode and whatever else was installed when running the install.cmd)?

Cooling oversize fans
Case coolermaster elite
If I understand your question properly, simply installing windows 10 won't affect the patched driver, only installing (or re-installing) a nvidia driver will do that. I'm not familiar with the test mode on windows 10,
assuming it's mostly like windows 7, there is only 2 ways to get rid of test mode:

1. Install only certified and signed drivers.
2. Manually turning off test mode through a command prompt, but doing this will disable the patched driver.

nick

jbailey8,

I've installed build 10240(Win 10) which is slated to be released on Wednesday. Firstly, windows obtains driver 353.53 when you use windows updates upon installing windows. I've removed those drivers and went back to 353.30. I copied in the new nvlddmkm2.sys and the new install.cmd into the hypersli folder and attempted to run it. It appeared everything went correctly but was also saying the nvlddmkm.sys couldnt be copied because it was in use, upon restart the testmode is activated but still no sli. I went back and ran the install.cmd again and noticed that it had ALSO said ''then' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.' So I modified your install.cmd to remove the 'then' statement 'if exist "nvlddmkm2.sys" set _nvlddmkm=nvlddmkm2' and re ran the command, this time there was no errors and install.cmd says 'Success:copied nvlddmkm2.sys'

Upon restart from this, still no SLI option. What I believe is happening is the nvlddmkm is still in use and isnt able to be copied over. I'll post a reply when I can get that sorted unless you have any ideas.

What i've done to correct this now, was go to %SystemRoot%\System32\drivers\ find nvlddmkm.sys renamed it to nvlddmkm1.sys. nvlddmkm2.sys was already in the folder right beside the first one so i renamed nvlddmkm2.sys to nvlddmkm.sys, rebooted and now i have sli again

Last edited by a moderator:
Cooling oversize fans
Case coolermaster elite
Ok, this is what I was afraid of, since I don't have windows 10 installed, I had no way to know this before hand, but based on what you just said, either it sounds like 2 seperate sys files need to be patched,
or the old nvlddmkm.sys was left over from when the older windows was installed (windows 7 - 8.1), I'm sorry you had to modify the install.cmd to get things to run properly, but again I don't have windows 10
installed so I have no way to properly test things on my end first. I downloaded and unpacked (not install) the latest windows 10 driver for 64 bit, I searched the entire package and the only driver I could
find that is related to what we're doing here is 'nvlddmkm2.sys', I think the other sys file was left over from when you had a older version of windows installed, that might be what was confusing the
install.cmd also. But if you had to rename that nvlddmkm2.sys to nvlddmkm.sys to get sli mode to work, then the install.cmd needs to be modified to do this renaming before trying to install the
patched driver. Sorry for the trouble, but glad you got things working otherwise! At least the patching itself seems to have worked properly. (Your system didn't bluescreen or explode for example).

nick

Exactly... Im hoping based on the information I gave you, that you'll be able to modify the install.cmd for someone else in the future. I'm sure this thread will blow up in 4 days lol. As for the patch itself, it seems to have worked perfectly, I can play games and confirmed they're in SLI. I'm in the same situation as you, I have 2 Nvidia cards but only a Crossfire board.

nick

I can still see the post and the link and the DL still functions, I can repost for you if you'd like?

Cooling oversize fans
Case coolermaster elite
Never mind about that, I had made a bad assumption on my part, what one of the moderators did was combine the 2 posts into 1 post I failed to notice that, thanks for the offer
anyway!

Cooling oversize fans
Case coolermaster elite
To anyone having issues with the current install.cmd, when you unpack the downloaded patched windows 10 driver into your differentsli directory, rename 'nvlddmkm2.sys' to 'nvlddmkm.sys'
and use the install.cmd from a older differentsli package, the install.cmd I included in the windows 10 driver rar file doesn't properly install the driver due to the fact the original nvlddmkm.sys
file is still in the drivers directory, and isn't being overwritten, I don't know if the '2' being added into the filename is temporary or not or why nvidia decided to do that, but for now this is the best workaround until things are sorted out.

or go here:

https://github.com/EmberVulpix/DifferentSLIAuto/releases

and download the 1.3.1 release of differentsli it will have all the updates.
if the install.cmd in this version still doesn't work for you, then try the above instructions
and run a older install.cmd.

Update - I updated the download link for the windows 10 video driver to remove the bad
install.cmd (I made incorrect changes to the cmd).

Last edited:

nick

okay, so heads up... Windows 10 is automatically downloading the newest driver again 353.53 and it breaks the sli again...I rolled back and on restart, i ran the modified install.cmd again and ended up doing the same renaming of the files in %SystemRoot%\System32\drivers\

I dont believe there is a way to disable automatic updates for win10 so I may need a patched 353.53 nvlddmkm.sys

*Edit: I've disabled the Windows update services completly

Last edited: