• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ASUS GTX 980 Ti STRIX Gaming 6 GB

Processor Intel Core i7-9700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
Cooling Corsair Hydro H150i Pro
Memory 2x Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3000 Mhz
Video Card(s) Inno3D iChill GeForce RTX 2080 Ti
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1TB
Display(s) Asus RoG PG279Q Swift
Case Fractal Design Define S2 Gunmetal
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar Essence STX II (Sennheiser HD 650)
Power Supply Corsair HX750i
Mouse Logitech G903
Keyboard Corsair K70 (Black)
Software W10 x64
You probably wont have long to wait to find out. Asus is prepping the 2-fan Matrix and Matrix Platinum.
Well, the Fan profile on those two will probably be aiming more for cooling than Silence though.

fail asus . i'm a lot dissapoint , such a big card do worse temp and fan noise ...

System Name Commercial towing vehicle "Nostromo"
Processor 5800X3D
Motherboard X570 Unify
Cooling EK-AIO 360
Memory 32 GB Fury 3666 MHz
Video Card(s) 4070 Ti Eagle
Storage SN850 NVMe 1TB + Renegade NVMe 2TB + 870 EVO 4TB
Display(s) 25" Legion Y25g-30
Case Lian Li LanCool 216 v2
Audio Device(s) B & W PX7 S2e
Power Supply HX1500i
Mouse Harpe Ace Aim Lab Edition
Keyboard Scope II 96 Wireless
Software Windows 11 23H2
@W1zzard - just out of curiosity - do you test the card before you disassemble them for the "Closer look" and the pictures?

If yes - what thermal compound do you use when put the card together again?

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
@W1zzard - just out of curiosity - do you test the card before you disassemble them for the "Closer look" and the pictures?
Yes, of course. All such testing is done with the card as it comes out of the box. So even if I break the card during photos/disassembly/reassembly I'll be able to post the review with performance numbers.

If yes - what thermal compound do you use when put the card together again?
Any generic paste that I like the use and feel of. In my case Arctic MX4

System Name S.A.S
Processor i7 4790K
Motherboard Asus Z97-Pro Wifi ac
Cooling Enermax liqtech 120x
Memory 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400MHz
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Strix
Storage Corsair Force GS 120 GB / Seagate Barracuda 1Tb
Display(s) LG W2286L 22 Inch
Case Green X5 Fusion
Power Supply Green GP1000B-OC
Mouse Logitech
Keyboard Logitech G110
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores X5638
temperatures could be better than that.

System Name Perf/price king /w focus on low noise and TDP
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1230 v2
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H
Cooling Thermalright HR-02 Macho Rev.A (BW)
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP Black
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 670 OC
Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 & 256GB Samsung 830 Series
Display(s) Home: LG 29UB65-P & Work: LG 34UB88-B
Case Fractal Design Arc Mini
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar Essence STX /w Sennheiser HD 598
Power Supply be quiet! Straight Power CM E9 80+ Gold 480W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD optical
Keyboard SteelSeries Apex M500
Software Win10
Asus always delivers good products. But they failed to impress me since http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/GeForce_GTX_670_Direct_Cu_II/33.html.
I feel like Gigabyte and MSI are offering the overall better alternatives nowadays and are usually priced more competitively here in Germany as well.

And a big thanks to W1zzard for all the hard work he is putting into all of his reviews!
Thanks to his review (http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Gigabyte/B75M-D3H/13.html) my current rig is running a Xeon E3-1230 v2 on this awesome Mobo.

Last edited:
Asus make great mobos. but bad video cards in all my experience buying a few.

gigabyte make banging video cards. but terrible Bioses and motherboards. each company has its strengths
my UD5H gigabyte board set to auto/normal decided my stock 4790K needed 1.45 volts at stock speed. Thanks gigabyte :)
on flipside R9 380 G1 gaming gigabyte Video card, is banging plays GTAV at 1440P at 60FPS lol

Processor Ryzen 3600
Motherboard B450
Cooling Scythe Ashura
Memory Team Dark Z 3200 8GB x2
Video Card(s) MSI 390
Storage WD 2TB + WD Green 640GB
Display(s) Samsung 40JU6600 @ 200% scaling
Case Coolermaster CM 690 II
Audio Device(s) Fiio E10K, Graham Slee Solo II SRG, Sennheiser HD6XX, AKG K7XX, ATH WS1100is
Power Supply Corsair HX650
Mouse Rival 700
Keyboard Corsair K70, Razer Tarantula
So I have one thing to say about the temps. I have the MSI 780 Ti Gaming card which got a 9.9 on here mainly due to the fact that it was super quiet at only 30DBA under load. The temp result wasn't terrible but it was the same as this Strix (76). I can say with certainty that the card never passed 72-73 degrees in my rig. It's in a Fractal R4 case. Even when it was sweltering in my room the card stayed under the 73 mark. I don't know why Wizz gets the higher temps honestly, but if he got 76 degrees on the Strix, I'd expect closer to 70-73 max, atleast in my case. But my MSI card with the Twin Frozr 4 cooler achieves these temps with only 30DBA while the Strix is nearly as loud as reference, very surprising considering their claims. One guy on youtube that has the card said it's super quiet until fans reach 60% and then it gets loud. I don't start hearing my MSI card till closer to 70% fan speed, maybe more.

Disappointing results yes, but I still like the card. I'm actually torn between this and the EVGA classy now. I think they will have roughly the same performance but the classy will be quieter? Both are great looking cards too. I like the 3 fans and that backplate on the Asus and the Classy has a very clean look to it, especially from the side.

Just thought about something, the Wizz prob has a bit higher temps because he is testing on a bench rather than in a case right?

Last edited:

needforsuv

i don't know why you bother about noise
i can bear a stock lga 1155 cooler at 2000+ rpms
not quiet but i can always turn up my speakers

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
Because other people DO care about noise, friend. With respect, its not all about an individual, reviews...

Processor I7 4790k
Motherboard Asus maximus hero 7
Cooling Cryorig r1 ultimate
Memory 16 gb kingston hyper x savage red ddr3
Video Card(s) Maybe one day again (had a asus 980ti strix)
Storage 2 Ssd kingston hyper x savage red
Display(s) Eizo fg 2421 120hz full hd
Case Nzxt h440 black/red
Power Supply Corsair rm1000i
I have bought the asus 980ti strix and already sent it back. The cooler, once 55% fanspeed, makes the body of the card vibrating...You can hear it case closed. It could be a common problem with this model. Such a crap. The cooler could be quieter, spinning fast (case must be well Ventilated). Ad mild coil whine, althought faint (only case open). This is too much for a graphic card so expensive. Thanks Asus.
And I have the feeling cooling capacity of semi passive cards(other brands included) suffer from this specific design, with less surface for radiators (hot hair must escape without help of a fan), making cards louder.
This card is very long, it's a pain to fit it in a Nzxt H440 case, especialy with a big Cpu cooler, since You cannot put it in straight (case specific).
This purchase was a big fail. But are other models better...(disappointed)

Last edited:
System Name Red 101
Processor 9th Gen Intel Core i9-9900k
Motherboard EVGA Z370 Classified
Cooling Custom Primochill and Heatkiller water cooling loop
Memory 16GB of Gskill 3200Mhz CL14
Video Card(s) EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW2 with Heatkiller block @2114Mhz
Storage 4- Samsung Evo 250GB, 1- Pro 512GB and 1-512GB M.2
Display(s) LG 38" UW
Case In Win 101 customized a lot and painted red
Audio Device(s) Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma
Power Supply EVGA 850w G2
Mouse Razer DeathAdderv2
Keyboard Razer Ornata Chroma
Software Win10Pro and games
Benchmark Scores NA
Ouch the mark up on these are painful! anyone find them for under $740? when is newegg going to carry them?

I have bought the asus 980ti strix and already sent it back. The cooler, once 55% fanspeed, makes the body of the card vibrating...You can hear it case closed. It could be a common problem with this model. Such a crap. The cooler could be quieter, spinning fast (case must be well Ventilated). Ad mild coil whine, althought faint (only case open). This is too much for a graphic card so expensive. Thanks Asus.
And I have the feeling cooling capacity of semi passive cards(other brands included) suffer from this specific design, with less surface for radiators (hot hair must escape without help of a fan), making cards louder.
This card is very long, it's a pain to fit it in a Nzxt H440 case, especialy with a big Cpu cooler, since You cannot put it in straight (case specific).
This purchase was a big fail. But are other models better...(disappointed)

Sorry to hear you did not get a good card =/ that always sucks. I ended up ordering a 980 Ti Classy from Newegg instead. They got a shipment in yesterday and I have no clue when the Strix will be in stock again. I'm sure the Strix is an awesome card, provided you get a good one. I like the look of the cooler with the 3 fans (never had a 3 fan card :) and the massive heatpipes on the bottom of the card and also how pipes are hidden at the top. A gorgeous backplate and that red GPU reinforcer thing are nice additions as well. One of the biggest reasons I was interested in this card though was their extreme automation or w.e it's called, basically robots build the PCB and take human error out of the equation. Anyway I think it's still too early to tell if this really is a good card or not because so few were able to get their hands on it. Once they are re-stocked and more people get them in their machines and hopefully post some reviews we'll know more.

As for me, I ordered my classy from Newegg yesterday and it will be here tommorow. I really like the clean look of the EVGA cards. Don't see any heatpipes anywhere, just a nice shroud and heatsink. Hopefully I get a good one with high asic and no coil whine :)

Processor I7 4790k
Motherboard Asus maximus hero 7
Cooling Cryorig r1 ultimate
Memory 16 gb kingston hyper x savage red ddr3
Video Card(s) Maybe one day again (had a asus 980ti strix)
Storage 2 Ssd kingston hyper x savage red
Display(s) Eizo fg 2421 120hz full hd
Case Nzxt h440 black/red
Power Supply Corsair rm1000i
Sorry to hear you did not get a good card =/ that always sucks. I ended up ordering a 980 Ti Classy from Newegg instead. They got a shipment in yesterday and I have no clue when the Strix will be in stock again. I'm sure the Strix is an awesome card, provided you get a good one. I like the look of the cooler with the 3 fans (never had a 3 fan card :) and the massive heatpipes on the bottom of the card and also how pipes are hidden at the top. A gorgeous backplate and that red GPU reinforcer thing are nice additions as well. One of the biggest reasons I was interested in this card though was their extreme automation or w.e it's called, basically robots build the PCB and take human error out of the equation. Anyway I think it's still too early to tell if this really is a good card or not because so few were able to get their hands on it. Once they are re-stocked and more people get them in their machines and hopefully post some reviews we'll know more.

As for me, I ordered my classy from Newegg yesterday and it will be here tommorow. I really like the clean look of the EVGA cards. Don't see any heatpipes anywhere, just a nice shroud and heatsink. Hopefully I get a good one with high asic and no coil whine :)

The asus have a great looking backplate, but I can't almost see it with my big cryorig Cpu cooler.
Robot automation for asus, well, sure the card is great looking and well built, but the ugly plastic stickers on the fans aren't centered, and a heatpipe touches the plastic body (cause of vibration?). Maybe faulty engeneering. Too much bling bling for this card. And despite the huge size of the card, the 3 fans can't cool the card better than the, say evga gtx 980 ti sc (not classified), which is even quieter, and small in size.
Ok the asus I had could overclock well (1480mhz without touching anithing) but loudly.
I can imagine what the evga classified could do with its huge fans, silently. If it have no coil whine, great choice.

And let me know how this classified monster perform, I don't have bought another card yet, and the TOTAL lenght of the card (with the slots holders)
Bye

Last edited:

needforsuv

its fine in the other reviews... i'll debrief once i get my hands on it
for me the evga looks like a reference card... i can't get evga here and i had an msi gtx card die on me and well the GB g1 looks a bit um weak so the asus was the winner... not to mention the fastest
I dont see why people bother about noise, i mean most games are louder

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
="needforsuv, post: 3324005, member: 158396"... and well the GB g1 looks a bit um weak so the asus was the winner... not to mention the fastest
I'm sure the GB G1 is the better card, but maybe you read a different review.

Last edited:
Such a shame GM200 is a Fermi 2.0. Nothing can cool this beast with low noise, unless you use Accelero Xtreme 3 or 4, or go with crappy watercooling and deal with pump noise.

Why exactly is liquid cooling crappy? Because of pump noise? The D5 pump in my loop is silent. Sorry you don't know what you are talking about.

needforsuv

[QUOTE="needforsuv, post: 3324005, member: 158396"... and well the GB g1 looks a bit um weak so the asus was the winner... not to mention the fastest
I'm sure the GB G1 is the better card, but maybe you read a different review.[/QUOTE]
i mean weakest in terms of structural rigidity

Two points. I just bought one of these Strix after finding a "deal" (50 € cheaper in another country of the same company, starts with "A"... plus it comes guaranteed with a free game that will be RainbowSix Siege in my case, another 50 € saved ;)
Regarding coil whine, seems any brand, including Gigabyte, has it sometimes... it is not limited at all to certain Strix's....