• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Fury X "Fiji" Voltage Scaling

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
Yes, by all means use another title. Have a try at BF4:

BF3

BF4

So what's the point people?

The Fury X is better than the 980ti in BF3 (1440p and 4k)
It's worse in BF4.

Yeah, lets switch to BF4 so AMD can look even worse.

Trolls...

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
it was actually free with nvidia cards, but it is not as bad as other games I guess. Still better to review new cards with newer more relevant games and for overclocking it's probably better to see the performance gain with synthetics and that would be easier on time than testing with a game.

dx12 is already relevant if you're buying a GPU now.

people should be careful about this driver overhead business. dx11 might just plain suck.

- DX12 is only relevant when games start using it and especially its top feature levels (the actual DX12 features such as tiled rendering), which won't be earlier than the next GPU upgrade for any enthusiast, ie 2017 or later
- Look at the state of DX11/DX9 native games and you see why this is true
- W10 is just about as relevant as DX12 is at this time
- Synthetics can be cheated, games far less likely so. Synthetics do not show any kind of real-world gains, for example Valley shows better results due to higher VRAM clocks than 3DMark does, while 3DMark scores are also subject to change as benchmarks get heavier over time (Fire Strike > Fire Strike Extreme etc.). Synthetics are just about useless for testing an overclock, they are only useful for comparing different cards performance wise, and only marginally so.
- Battlefield 3 shows very linear gains from overclocking (either/both core/mem), is never cpu bound, bug free and quick to run, making for a perfect indicator for overclocking gains, much more so than a synthetic non-real-gaming scenario. Newer games are not an advantage for benchmarks in reviews, but rather prone to changes by drivers and even game updates, all things BF3 does not suffer from any longer.

- AMD is not going to magically gain x% of free performance due to DX12 or wddm 2.0. It does offer ways for them to more efficiently code their driver and engineer their hardware, but it is utter stupidity to expect AMD to gain meaningful performance where Nvidia would not. The bottlenecks in current games are *not* related to either DX12 or wddm, because developers simply avoided those DX11 bottlenecks altogether; the games are going to run like shit on any kind of system on DX11 anyway. The current bottlenecks in gaming are CPU load related and VRAM related. The current CPU bottleneck is related to draw calls, but not entirely restricted to it; cpu bottlenecks also happen because of a lack of true multhithreaded engines, ie Starcraft 2 which runs on 1 core for example. The VRAM bottleneck is being tackled well in Maxwell and much less efficiently with AMD's implementation; AMD is stuck with HBM or an extremely wide bus and cannot gain similar efficiency from an optimized compression technology like Nvidia does with Maxwell, at least thus far.

- Fury is a handicapped and not very well balanced card: extremely fast memory with a maxed out (die space limited) core that is bogged down by so-so drivers that are in turn capped by CPU overhead. A crapload of CU's with an astounding shortage of ROP's. AMD had to compromise because of limited die space, and this compromise together with the fresh new HBM could have never turned into a well-rounded and efficient card. It doesn't, and it never will. AMD's performance gain from HBM is diminished by lack of ROP's/die space for the core, they will need 14nm to take advantage of it. Seems like Nvidia has timed HBM/Pascal much better, which, once again, is no surprise.

My two $

Last edited:
- DX12 is only relevant when games start using it and especially its top feature levels (the actual DX12 features such as tiled rendering), which won't be earlier than the next GPU upgrade for any enthusiast, ie 2017 or later
- Look at the state of DX11/DX9 native games and you see why this is true
- W10 is just about as relevant as DX12 is at this time
- Synthetics can be cheated, games far less likely so. Synthetics do not show any kind of real-world gains, for example Valley shows better results due to higher VRAM clocks than 3DMark does, while 3DMark scores are also subject to change as benchmarks get heavier over time (Fire Strike > Fire Strike Extreme etc.). Synthetics are just about useless for testing an overclock, they are only useful for comparing different cards performance wise, and only marginally so.
- Battlefield 3 shows very linear gains from overclocking (either/both core/mem), is never cpu bound, bug free and quick to run, making for a perfect indicator for overclocking gains, much more so than a synthetic non-real-gaming scenario. Newer games are not an advantage for benchmarks in reviews, but rather prone to changes by drivers and even game updates, all things BF3 does not suffer from any longer.

- AMD is not going to magically gain x% of free performance due to DX12 or wddm 2.0. It does offer ways for them to more efficiently code their driver and engineer their hardware, but it is utter stupidity to expect AMD to gain meaningful performance where Nvidia would not. The bottlenecks in current games are *not* related to either DX12 or wddm, because developers simply avoided those DX11 bottlenecks altogether; the games are going to run like shit on any kind of system on DX11 anyway. The current bottlenecks in gaming are CPU load related and VRAM related. The current CPU bottleneck is related to draw calls, but not entirely restricted to it; cpu bottlenecks also happen because of a lack of true multhithreaded engines, ie Starcraft 2 which runs on 1 core for example. The VRAM bottleneck is being tackled well in Maxwell and much less efficiently with AMD's implementation; AMD is stuck with HBM or an extremely wide bus and cannot gain similar efficiency from an optimized compression technology like Nvidia does with Maxwell, at least thus far.

- Fury is a handicapped and not very well balanced card: extremely fast memory with a maxed out (die space limited) core that is bogged down by so-so drivers that are in turn capped by CPU overhead. A crapload of CU's with an astounding shortage of ROP's. AMD had to compromise because of limited die space, and this compromise together with the fresh new HBM could have never turned into a well-rounded and efficient card. It doesn't, and it never will. AMD's performance gain from HBM is diminished by lack of ROP's/die space for the core, they will need 14nm to take advantage of it. Seems like Nvidia has timed HBM/Pascal much better, which, once again, is no surprise.

My two $

DX12 is relevant now for anyone buying a new GPU. Not taking it into consideration would be shortsighted and against normal practice when buying hardware IMO. Especially when windows 10 is out now and games like fable legends are in beta soon to be released (using dx12). Those games will start coming out this year, well within the period a person would normally keep a GPU for.

W10 is free for windows 8 and 7 users, its adoption will be huge and anyone can take advantage of it. Again, for someone buying a new GPU, relevant.

They can all be cheated through drivers, I just expect a good synthetic test to be more objective. At least it seems it's more appropriate for this.

Those changes affect users currently. The question is what a user is likely to see after these overclocks and battlefield alone is inadequate. From other sites I would believe it does not scale so well with OC (or the OC isn't huge so performance gains aren't either). Again, for this GPU sample and early tools.

We know for a fact AMD would gain meaningful performance against kepler. I have yet to see anyone claim maxwell2 is as good as GCNs ACEs. What is possibly the first dx12 game will use GCNs ACEs, so you can see where things get interesting. The fact the consoles have this tech bodes well for it doing much in PC gaming. It's down to specific features in dx12 where the GCN architecture is superior, not CPU bottlenecks. Though its quite possible AMD benefits more from that as well but that I don't know. Someone said AMDs drivers do more work than nvidia drivers, one would assume those cards would gain more performance once the efficiency there improves. If nvidia is already further ahead in that regard, AMD stands to gain more. Seems logical, no?

Not sure what you mean regarding VRAM bottlenecks. They've already improved their color compression on top of the huge bandwidth.

Using HBM increased available die space. In no way is it a negative for Fiji and gddr5 would have been worse. not even sure how you think nvidia timed hbm/pascal right. They are putting it out when they can and had to wait for AMD to finish the tech anyway. Can't speculate on why Fiji might be unbalanced, though it sounds like those CUs could do some compute while graphics is going on. The performance differences between new fiji and the more mature titan x are not insurmountable. You can always OC the nvidia cards higher, but things could really shake up with dx12. I haven't seen PC gamers deny the importance of win10 and dx12 like this. Its clearly a big deal and the only praise I have seen regarding it from devs has been for GCN.

Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
Here's your answer as to why it is not relevant at this time: economy and rate of adoption.

The industry is not, never ever, going to adapt to the least common denominator which is the enthusiast. Look at DX11/DX9. Up until last year we could see games being released on DX9. And games on DX11 that only use a small part of the feature sets. The truth is, a vast majority of games today doesn't need DX12 to run well. DX12's advantages for the enthusiast are minimal at best because they already run the fastest hardware. For the newest games and engines, we are limited to console markets for the most part. Especially big budget titles need a console release to be economically viable, we all know this. There is movement on the development market for gaming, ie more directed and open to smaller companies, but they still need budget to make games. And to make triple A games, you need a bigger budget.

So what is DX12 for? It is really for new ventures into gaming genres, it opens up ways for larger scale combat situations with many more interactive objects in the scene. Are those games on the horizon? No. Fable is not an example of a game that will actually utilize new DX12 features that could not be done within DX11 feature sets. Star Citizen, a non-console front runner in terms of graphics and scale, is a DX11 game. But if you have meaningful examples that use tiled rendering for example coming out soon, be my guest.

It doesn't matter if the vast majority would run fine on dx9, all it needs is a few important games for a person buying fancy new hardware to have to take it into consideration. Additionally, your hardware will be kept for months and possibly years, while on the verge of a new FREE OS and API that developers really want, why on earth would you think it irrelevant? Right now people should strictly be shopping for best dx12 cards at the high end. Those running the fastest hardware still stand to benefit. you again seem to be limiting this to CPU bottlenecks. Asynchronous shaders could help people do 4K better for example. More performance is always better and there are important dx12 features besides CPU bottlenecks.

The influence of console markets is not such a bad thing now since GCN is in the consoles and some dx12 features carry over. The biggest thing is for engine developers to integrate it and they are doing that. Some had a good start on mantle. The same benefits to consoles will be possible on PC. eg "tomorrow children" sees 18% to 30% performance gains using GCNs ACEs and that's just an early attempt at dx12. That tech is on PC now.

that is not what dx12 is for. Tell the folks at DICE to stop making FPS games with it and go make pie surfing or something else instead then. Fable legends IS such a game if you listened to the devs and their talk about free performance with GCNs cards. I don't think you grasp just how awesome dx12 is for us.

I've not mentioned tiled rendering.

Processor I7 4770k
Cooling Corsair H100i
Memory 16 gigs
Video Card(s) MSI 390x 8gb
Storage 1tb SSD, 2 512gb in raid 0
Display(s) ASUS MG279Q Black 27" IPS 144Hz
Power Supply 1000w
Mouse Death Adder
Keyboard Microsoft Gaming keyboard thingy
Thanks for the write up, I have been waiting patiently to see what this card is capable of. My question is, how does the card perform at 1080p and 1440p with a reasonable overclock? I don't see myself picking up a 4k monitor until the prices come down significantly, they can handle over 100fps, and they are able to reduce the input lag significantly.

System Name SnowFire / The Reinforcer
Processor i7 10700K 5.1ghz (24/7) / 2x Xeon E52650v2
Motherboard Asus Strix Z490 / Dell Dual Socket (R720)
Cooling RX 360mm + 140mm Custom Loop / Dell Stock
Memory Corsair RGB 16gb DDR4 3000 CL 16 / DDR3 128gb 16 x 8gb
Video Card(s) GTX Titan XP (2025mhz) / Asus GTX 950 (No Power Connector)
Storage Samsung 970 1tb NVME and 2tb HDD x4 RAID 5 / 300gb x8 RAID 5
Display(s) Acer XG270HU, Samsung G7 Odyssey (1440p 240hz)
Case Thermaltake Cube / Dell Poweredge R720 Rack Mount Case
Audio Device(s) Realtec ALC1150 (On board)
Power Supply Rosewill Lightning 1300Watt / Dell Stock 750 / Brick
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Logitech G19S
Software Windows 11 Pro / Windows Server 2016
System Name Auriga
Processor Ryzen 7950X3D w/ aquacomputer cuplex kryos NEXT with VISION - acrylic/nickel
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X670E-E Gaming WiFi
Cooling Alphacool Res/D5 Combo •• Corsair XR7 480mm + Black Ice Nemesis 360GTS radiators •• 7xNF-A12 chromax
Memory 2x 32GB G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB @ 6200MHz, 30-40-40-28, 1.35V (F5-6000J3040G32GX2-TZ5NR)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X w/ Bykski waterblock
Storage 2TB WD Black SN850X ••• 2TB Corsair M510 ••• 40TB QNAP NAS via SFP+ NIC
Display(s) Alienware AW3423DWF (3440x1440, 10-bit @ 139Hz)
Case Thermaltake Core P8
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Razer Viper V2 Pro (FPS games) + Logitech MX Master 2S (everything else)
Keyboard Keycult No2 rev 1 w/Amber Alps and TX stabilizers on a steel plate. DCS 9009 WYSE keycaps
Software W10 X64 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/c3rxw7
well... i guess my Fury x is going back to micro center. paid top dollar for it $690 + tax ~ $750. the MSRP of $650 is complete BS. all the partners want upwards of 670 for it. so far all i got was unbearable pump noise (but no coil whine on my card), stuttering anytime I use AA, and zero overclocking ability. i can't get more than 20MHz out of this thing even though the temps never pass 65*C. i'll get myself an EVGA 980 ti hybrid and overclock the piss out of it. when DX 12 titles finally come out, in like a year the earliest, I'll worry about it then. for now, the fury x's alleged DX12 prowess doesn't mean sh!t. especially since I can't use it properly with my 4K TV due to lack of HDMI 2.0.

Processor I7 4770k
Cooling Corsair H100i
Memory 16 gigs
Power Supply 1000w
Mouse Death Adder
well... i guess my Fury x is going back to micro center. paid top dollar for it $690 + tax ~ $750. the MSRP of $650 is complete BS. all the partners want upwards of 670 for it. so far all i got was unbearable pump noise (but no coil whine on my card), stuttering anytime I use AA, and zero overclocking ability. i can't get more than 20MHz out of this thing even though the temps never pass 65*C. i'll get myself an EVGA 980 ti hybrid and overclock the piss out of it. when DX 12 titles finally come out, in like a year the earliest, I'll worry about it then. for now, the fury x's alleged DX12 prowess doesn't mean sh!t. especially since I can't use it properly with my 4K TV due to lack of HDMI 2.0.

So not to call you out or anything..... Your system specs show you have 2x 980 ti's at the time of this posting. You are trolling.

System Name Auriga
Processor Ryzen 7950X3D w/ aquacomputer cuplex kryos NEXT with VISION - acrylic/nickel
Cooling Alphacool Res/D5 Combo •• Corsair XR7 480mm + Black Ice Nemesis 360GTS radiators •• 7xNF-A12 chromax
Memory 2x 32GB G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB @ 6200MHz, 30-40-40-28, 1.35V (F5-6000J3040G32GX2-TZ5NR)
Case Thermaltake Core P8
Keyboard Keycult No2 rev 1 w/Amber Alps and TX stabilizers on a steel plate. DCS 9009 WYSE keycaps
Software W10 X64 Pro
So not to call you out or anything..... Your system specs show you have 2x 980 ti's at the time of this posting. You are trolling.

Just to make you happy, and so that you can sleep better tonight, I attached my Micro Center return receipt to this post.

some of us have more than one computer. i have two homes and therefor wanted two gaming computers. the computer that sits in my NYC apartment has the two GTX 980 Ti in it. my other house, in Long Island where i spend less time, HAD an R9 Fury X up until 8 hours ago. But I just placed an order for a Gigabyte GTX 980 Ti G1 to put into that machine.

PS: at $670+the Fury X is a complete turd. should have left it air cooled and let the partners build custom boards for $600-$620. Then I would consider keeping it. You can get a 980 Ti with a copy of Metal Gear Solid for $650. you have to be nuts to buy a Fury X at this point.

Attachments

• IMG_2201.JPG
    IMG_2201.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,250
Last edited:
System Name MoneySink
Processor 2600K @ 4.8
Motherboard P8Z77-V
Cooling AC NexXxos XT45 360, RayStorm, D5T+XSPC tank, Tygon R-3603, Bitspower
Memory 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3-1600C8
Video Card(s) GTX 780 SLI (EVGA SC ACX + Giga GHz Ed.)
Storage Kingston HyperX SSD (128) OS, WD RE4 (1TB), RE2 (1TB), Cav. Black (2 x 500GB), Red (4TB)
Display(s) Achieva Shimian QH270-IPSMS (2560x1440) S-IPS
Case NZXT Switch 810
Audio Device(s) onboard Realtek yawn edition
Power Supply Seasonic X-1050
Software Win8.1 Pro
Benchmark Scores 3.5 litres of Pale Ale in 18 minutes.
I think that is the very definition of calling someone out.
Just an FYI, don't take the "System Specs" as gospel. As terroralpha pointed out many here have more than one system, and there are also some (myself included) who are either lazy in keeping their specs current, or swap out hardware so frequently it can easily slip your mind. Both pertain to myself IIRC, as at varying times over the last few weeks I've had GTX 780 SLI, single GTX 780, back to GTX 780 SLI, a Gigabyte GTX 980 Ti G1 Gaming, and a reference 980 Ti. Between sales of old cards falling through and being able to turn a quick profit on the G1, I doubt I've had more than a few days with a single static graphics output.

System Name Virtual Reality / Bioinformatics
Processor Undead CPU
Motherboard Undead TUF X99
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory GSkill 128GB DDR4-3000
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra
Storage Samsung 960 Pro 1TB + 860 EVO 2TB + WD Black 5TB
Display(s) 32'' 4K Dell
Case Fractal Design R5
Audio Device(s) BOSE 2.0
Power Supply Seasonic 850watt
Mouse Logitech Master MX
Keyboard Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue
VR HMD HTC Vive + Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 10 P
I'm pretty happy with my furyx. It is not top notch, but it is good for my use at 1440p. Also I'm lucky that I got one for exactly 649, no sales tax. :)

System Name Auriga
Case Thermaltake Core P8
Software W10 X64 Pro
I'm pretty happy with my furyx. It is not top notch, but it is good for my use at 1440p. Also I'm lucky that I got one for exactly 649, no sales tax. :)

you are indeed lucky. after the release day all the retailers jacked the fury x models to 670+. i forgot that they were coming out that day and didn't get one. best buy is charging $700 now. but it's "best" buy, so no surprise there.

i'm glad you like yours and i hope yours is much better than mine. but I'm an OC addict and i need my PCs to be dead silent. my fury X didn't OC for sh!t and the pump was just too damn loud. would have preferred a silent air cooler.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
silent air cooler , OC addict , dead silent pc , high end gpu , = odd combo what you doing that requires that ridiculous mix of mission impossible bar filling forums with amd hate.

Ive had significantly better then that water cooling for years, speed controlled fans and pumps all with profiles to be quite or loud and cool but both at the same time then oc = NONSENSE.. get real.

i want a silent 5ghz quad gpu pc that can do vr like feckin real while using a tea cups worth of power and giving off no heat too but its not gonna happen this year.

Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
It doesn't matter if the vast majority would run fine on dx9, all it needs is a few important games for a person buying fancy new hardware to have to take it into consideration. Additionally, your hardware will be kept for months and possibly years, while on the verge of a new FREE OS and API that developers really want, why on earth would you think it irrelevant? Right now people should strictly be shopping for best dx12 cards at the high end. Those running the fastest hardware still stand to benefit. you again seem to be limiting this to CPU bottlenecks. Asynchronous shaders could help people do 4K better for example. More performance is always better and there are important dx12 features besides CPU bottlenecks.

The influence of console markets is not such a bad thing now since GCN is in the consoles and some dx12 features carry over. The biggest thing is for engine developers to integrate it and they are doing that. Some had a good start on mantle. The same benefits to consoles will be possible on PC. eg "tomorrow children" sees 18% to 30% performance gains using GCNs ACEs and that's just an early attempt at dx12. That tech is on PC now.

that is not what dx12 is for. Tell the folks at DICE to stop making FPS games with it and go make pie surfing or something else instead then. Fable legends IS such a game if you listened to the devs and their talk about free performance with GCNs cards. I don't think you grasp just how awesome dx12 is for us.

I've not mentioned tiled rendering.

I'll tell you what DX12 and its technology is for, at least for the short-to medium term which is the coming 2-3 years:

- tablets and surface-like devices, that typically use laptop-class CPU which are considerably slower than desktop variants
- small form factor devices are the largest and only growth market within gaming devices. Desktops are still in decline, though less so than a couple of years ago.
- low-power CPU core (Jaguar) consoles that already run into large amounts of trouble on the CPU side of things. The tech is implemented differently but is definitely similar to DX12.
- making gaming cheaper and more GPU bound and less CPU bound benefits only the lower end of the cpu market, not the enthusiasts. Games are not optimized for enthusiast systems, but for the lowest common denominator. Again; economy and adoption is what matters here
- VR environments will probably require much more processing power and will benefit from proper threading

Of course developers are going to tell us how amazing all these new DX12 features are. Of course AMD/Nvidia and MS will tell us we really need it right now. But the truth is, adoption will be slow and new games that force DX12 feature levels in the coming two years will not be a USP for 90% of all PC gamers, and as such will not be made, and if so, it's not going to be something you'd buy a new card for. The truth is, DX12 is a CPU efficiency update for gamers, and it will hardly benefit the gamers with a fast cpu, just like Mantle is worthless for them.

Stop pulling wool over your eyes and face reality bro.

Last edited:
Processor I7 4770k
Cooling Corsair H100i
Memory 16 gigs
Power Supply 1000w
Mouse Death Adder
Just to make you happy, and so that you can sleep better tonight, I attached my Micro Center return receipt to this post.

some of us have more than one computer. i have two homes and therefor wanted two gaming computers. the computer that sits in my NYC apartment has the two GTX 980 Ti in it. my other house, in Long Island where i spend less time, HAD an R9 Fury X up until 8 hours ago. But I just placed an order for a Gigabyte GTX 980 Ti G1 to put into that machine.

PS: at $670+the Fury X is a complete turd. should have left it air cooled and let the partners build custom boards for $600-$620. Then I would consider keeping it. You can get a 980 Ti with a copy of Metal Gear Solid for $650. you have to be nuts to buy a Fury X at this point.

Well you proved me wrong annddd now I am not going to get the Fury X. At least not until I see some improvements from a 3rd party.

System Name Auriga
Case Thermaltake Core P8
Software W10 X64 Pro
Well you proved me wrong annddd now I am not going to get the Fury X. At least not until I see some improvements from a 3rd party.

my thoughts exactly! if they can build one with better components and air cooling (to make it completely silent) i'd get it.

System Name WTF
Processor i5-9600K @ 5.1
Motherboard asus z370
Cooling H90
Memory 32gb
Video Card(s) ASUS STRIX GTX1080
Storage 30TB
Display(s) ROG PG278Q
Case HAF 912
Audio Device(s) integrated
Power Supply 1000w
Mouse rat 7 mad catz
Keyboard logitech g15
Software yes please
Benchmark Scores yes
my gtx980 did 1550Mhz and my gtx980ti does 1408, I hope that the next Nvidia generation wont suffer the same overclocking faith as fury x

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK
Cooling AMD Wraith Prism
Memory Team Group Dark Pro 8Pack Edition 3600Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 FE
Storage Kingston A2000 1TB + Seagate HDD workhorse
Display(s) Samsung 50" QN94A Neo QLED
Case Antec 1200
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-850
Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma
Keyboard Logitech UltraX
Software Windows 11

After all the hype Fury X does seem rather piss poor, a lessen learned I guess, props for actually giving real feedback though.

System Name Auriga
Case Thermaltake Core P8
Software W10 X64 Pro
silent air cooler , OC addict , dead silent pc , high end gpu , = odd combo what you doing that requires that ridiculous mix of mission impossible bar filling forums with amd hate.

it's not impossible. my GTX 980 Ti cards can do it. just as my previous GTX 970 cards did. when I'm not doing anything that requires heavy processing, i do not want to hear my computer at all. i don't want coil whine, i don't want water pump noise. nothing. when my GTX 980 Ti cards aren't under load the fans don't even turn on, and therefor produce zero noise. they also do not produce coil noise. when either of my computers are running low loads, you can put your ear to the case and you'll hear nothing because all the fans stop moving.

but when I need performance, I expect the card to overclock and deliver performance. at this stage noise isn't an issue. hell, the GTX 980 Ti cards are quieter at full load than my R9 fury x was at idle. the whisk of the GPUfans is nothing compared to the unbearable the pump on the Fury X. it's always running full blast and there is no way to control it. and random things triggered coil whine on my fury x, like watching MKV videos in VLC media player. then there is the fact that the fury x OC performance is abysmal.

and I'm not an AMD hater as you'd like to believe. scroll up to my original post here and you'll see that I did try to give AMD a chance. they made a crap product and I returned it. even posted photographic proof that I actually had the card. that's not enough for you?

there is a simple solution to all of this. allow Asus, MSI, Gigabyte and others to make custom versions of this card using better power delivery (like the Asus strix 980 Ti's 12+2 phase power delivery), better designed circuit board and an aircooler that goes completely passive when the computer is at low loads. at least figure out a way to throttle the pump. it shouldn't be hard

Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
So thats me told not..
I want similar but I have a phone for silent web browsing silently and you must be New to pc stuff cos aftermarket coolers on new arch gpu ,here come the unicorns now.

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
So thats me told not..
I want similar but I have a phone for silent web browsing silently and you must be New to pc stuff cos aftermarket coolers on new arch gpu ,here come the unicorns now.

Dude, c'mon - on OcUK the Fury X is what £530-£600? You can get the Palit Jetstream which is:

(A) very quiet, more so than the water cooled Fury X,
(B) cheaper than the Fury X and
(C) faster.

Plus Maxwell generally over clocks to 1400+ Mhz.

You seem hell bent on defending Fury X - it was over hyped and left a lot of people (myself included) disappointed. I held off buying a Titan then a 980ti because I was waiting for Fury X. When it landed it did like an albatross. But I'm glad I waited because I know I bought the better card now.

Maybe next year AMD?

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
You know, I gathered some data with respect to memory clocks. I overclocked and underclocked my memory at 50Mhz increments and the scaling to memory frequency was almost linear. As in, there are no point (down to 750Mhz (3Ghz effective,)) where the GPU suddenly loses performance any faster than points before it and the trend remained relatively consistent across the board. It makes me wonder if AMD had GDDR5 that clocked to 7-8Ghz like NVidia does, if it would continue to scale. I'm also curious if the downside of HBM is memory latency. How long does a core have to wait until it's fed data. It's an interesting question IMHO.

I still feel HBM was venturing into new territory without all of the issues getting smoothed out. I suspect there are be a number of changes that they will make to both HBM and GCN going forward to better utilize the wider but slower memory.

Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Dude, c'mon - on OcUK the Fury X is what £530-£600? You can get the Palit Jetstream which is:

(A) very quiet, more so than the water cooled Fury X,
(B) cheaper than the Fury X and
(C) faster.

Plus Maxwell generally over clocks to 1400+ Mhz.

You seem hell bent on defending Fury X - it was over hyped and left a lot of people (myself included) disappointed. I held off buying a Titan then a 980ti because I was waiting for Fury X. When it landed it did like an albatross. But I'm glad I waited because I know I bought the better card now.

Maybe next year AMD?

Not at all just unrealistic foot stamping ,go to it ,me personally I think id get a proper Waterblock oor just hold on cos none if them appeal to me I'll hold with my 7970 for now.
But expecting aftermarket coolers and overclocking off the bat with a new arch is stupid,no one does it, it tests warranties and removes a respin opportunity ,now tell me nvidias different.