• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Migrating to new computer

Brother Drake

This might be a rather long discussion, good. When Skylake comes out I'll be building a new computer. As we all know once that shiny new box is ready to go a whole new journey begins. All my stuff has to go from the old to the new and with a new OS things might not necessarily go where they used to be. I'll use DVD's and memory sticks to transfer data but I won't be able to use the old computer because it will have been stripped of certain parts(power supply, video card, etc.). Things like photos and docs should be easy. Where I'll especially need help is with things like how to transfer over my IE favorites, there's about a hundred and does Windows 10 even support IE favorites, will I have to record all of those address by copy/paste one by one? What about anything else that isn't easy to find or is easy to forget. I'd love to hear about the experience others have had and what you have learned about this part of moving in to a new rig. Thanks!

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Pro V2
Cooling Enermax ETX-T50RGB
Memory CL16 BL2K16G36C16U4RL 3600 1:1 micron e-die
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE RTX 3070 Ti GAMING OC
Storage ADATA SX8200PRO NVME 512GB, Intel 545s 500GBSSD, ADATA SU800 SSD, 3TB Spinner
Display(s) LG Ultra Gear 32 1440p 165hz Dell 1440p 75hz
Case Phanteks P300 /w 300A front panel conversion
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus+ Platinum 750W
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
Software Windows 11 +startisallback
quickest thing todo is to plug the drive into the new machine and start copying
as for the favorites
you can export then easily using the file menu
  1. Start Internet Explorer.
  2. On the File menu, click Import and Export, and then click Next.
  3. Click Export Favorites and then click Next.
  4. Click Favorites and then click Next.
  5. Type the name of the file that you want to export the favorites to
  6. after witch you can import them into your browser of choice either IE,Edge,Chrome,Firefox

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Or just copy the Favorite's folder from your user profile on the old computer to the new. The Favorite's folder is right next to the documents and pictures and movies folders. If you can find the documents folder you can find the favorites folder.

Another thing you might want to consider is the ProgramData folder(C:\ProgramData) and your AppData folder(C:\Users\<username>\Appdata). These folders can often times contain your game save data, which is probably something you'll want to transfer over to your new computer. But don't just copy over the whole folders, that can be bad, copy over the folders for the programs you need only.

Brother Drake

Or just copy the Favorite's folder from your user profile on the old computer to the new. The Favorite's folder is right next to the documents and pictures and movies folders. If you can find the documents folder you can find the favorites folder.

Another thing you might want to consider is the ProgramData folder(C:\ProgramData) and your AppData folder(C:\Users\<username>\Appdata). These folders can often times contain your game save data, which is probably something you'll want to transfer over to your new computer. But don't just copy over the whole folders, that can be bad, copy over the folders for the programs you need only.

Is it possible to export my favorites data and copy the ProgramData folder(C:\ProgramData) and my AppData folder(C:\Users\<username>\Appdata) folders to a DVD or memory stick, the old hard drive will be reformatted and used In the new computer as an archive space behind a SSD which will be the primary drive. Also, will ProgramData folder(C:\ProgramData) and my AppData folder(C:\Users\<username>\Appdata) exist in Windows 10?

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Pro V2
Cooling Enermax ETX-T50RGB
Memory CL16 BL2K16G36C16U4RL 3600 1:1 micron e-die
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE RTX 3070 Ti GAMING OC
Storage ADATA SX8200PRO NVME 512GB, Intel 545s 500GBSSD, ADATA SU800 SSD, 3TB Spinner
Display(s) LG Ultra Gear 32 1440p 165hz Dell 1440p 75hz
Case Phanteks P300 /w 300A front panel conversion
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus+ Platinum 750W
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
Software Windows 11 +startisallback
Is it possible to export my favorites data and copy the ProgramData folder(C:\ProgramData) and my AppData folder(C:\Users\<username>\Appdata) folders to a DVD or memory stick, the old hard drive will be reformatted and used In the new computer as an archive space behind a SSD which will be the primary drive. Also, will ProgramData folder(C:\ProgramData) and my AppData folder(C:\Users\<username>\Appdata) exist in Windows 10?
I don't recommend copying folders just export the favorites
the folders of course exist but its better to use the import/export you can keep a backup of those folders just to be safe ... I do

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
s it possible to export my favorites data and copy the ProgramData folder(C:\ProgramData) and my AppData folder(C:\Users\<username>\Appdata) folders to a DVD or memory stick, the old hard drive will be reformatted and used In the new computer as an archive space behind a SSD which will be the primary drive.

Yes, you can do that.

Also, will ProgramData folder(C:\ProgramData) and my AppData folder(C:\Users\<username>\Appdata) exist in Windows 10?

Yes, both exist in Win10.

System Name Rhino
Processor FX6300
Motherboard Asus M5A97 EVO R2
Cooling Corsair H80i
Memory HyperX Beast 1866MHz
Video Card(s) Asus GTX560ti
Storage OCZ Agility 3
Case Lian-li
Audio Device(s) Auzentech Sound Studio
Power Supply EVGA G2 750w
Keyboard Tt eSPORTS Challenger Pro
Software W10 64bit
This might be a rather long discussion, good. When Skylake comes out I'll be building a new computer. As we all know once that shiny new box is ready to go a whole new journey begins. All my stuff has to go from the old to the new and with a new OS things might not necessarily go where they used to be. I'll use DVD's and memory sticks to transfer data but I won't be able to use the old computer because it will have been stripped of certain parts(power supply, video card, etc.). Things like photos and docs should be easy. Where I'll especially need help is with things like how to transfer over my IE favorites, there's about a hundred and does Windows 10 even support IE favorites, will I have to record all of those address by copy/paste one by one? What about anything else that isn't easy to find or is easy to forget. I'd love to hear about the experience others have had and what you have learned about this part of moving in to a new rig. Thanks!
Why don't you plug in your new data drive (not the new OS SSD) to the old computer and copy all the files straight on to it?

you can plug in the hard drive to the new computer instead of wasting time & lifespan of flash memory

EDIT: my reply was too late

a hundred favorites is nothing... try thousands & thousands on multiple browsers & OSs

i'd rather not 'migrate' programs (well, maybe some of their settings), best to reinstall each