• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Firefox starting to get "secure" and disabling add-ons

Today I updated Firefox to version 40.0.2 and when I checked my add-on page and found this:

I know what is going on, every program is trying to be secure and all that and they are disabling un-signed applications and things like that but that is messing with workflow of people who know which add-ons and .exe files to trust and just want to get on with their lives.

I quite like Firefox even though I had to go to about:config and tweak a few settings like to show http (which idiot hid it and why is beyond me, I had trouble when I tried to insert "s" to make it "https" and when I tried to change it into "ftp") and now when they started to make these new Chromium-like changes like settings inside a tab (I can't even confirm what I selected now, WTF?) and the worst thing is I was never even given a choice, now this disabling of add-ons brings us here.

I am all for security but I still want an option to ignore the security notifications and enable the add-on, what if I make an add-on myself and I am the only one using but I can't bloody use it because Firefox won't let me. This is making me angry because I cannot turn on "advanced user mode" and use the Firefox without restrictions.

This has been coming for some time, Mozzila said the Firefox will start disabling features on non-secure sites and I guess this is was also in their plan:
https://blog.mozilla.org/security/2015/04/30/deprecating-non-secure-http/
This is a really stupid idead and I hope someone forks the Firefox and makes it open (the reason Firefox is great) again!!!

Anybody got the idea how do I open my Firefox and enable the add-on?

System Name Felix777
Processor Core i5-3570k@stock
Motherboard Biostar H61
Memory 8gb
Video Card(s) XFX RX 470
Storage WD 500GB BLK
Display(s) Acer p236h bd
Case Haf 912
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Rosewill CAPSTONE 450watt
Software Win 10 x64
hmmm haven't run into these issues. i did run into serious flash problems with google chrome on pc and my smartphone, so i went back to firefox and no problems so far.

System Name RemixedBeast-NX
Processor Intel Xeon E5-2690 @ 2.9Ghz (8C/16T)
Motherboard Dell Inc. 08HPGT (CPU 1)
Cooling Dell Standard
Memory 24GB ECC
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Nvidia RTX2060 6GB
Storage 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD//2TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster P2350 23in @ 1920x1080 + Dell E2013H 20 in @1600x900
Case Dell Precision T3600 Chassis
Audio Device(s) Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 // Fiio E7 Amp/DAC
Power Supply 630w Dell T3600 PSU
Mouse Logitech G700s/G502
Keyboard Logitech K740
Software Linux Mint 20
Benchmark Scores Network: APs: Cisco Meraki MR32, Ubiquiti Unifi AP-AC-LR and Lite Router/Sw:Meraki MX64 MS220-8P
Hope waterfox won't do this crap!!!!

System Name X99
Processor 5930K @ 4.7GHz @ 1.323v
Motherboard Rampage V Edition 10
Cooling EK
Memory Dominator Platinum 32GB
Video Card(s) 2x Gigabyte xtreme gaming 980ti
Storage Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 850 Pro & WD320
Display(s) Tempest X270OC @100Hz
Case Thermaltake Core P5
Audio Device(s) On-board
Power Supply 120-G2-1600-X1
Mouse Mamba 2012
Keyboard K70
Software Win10
Benchmark Scores http://www.3dmark.com/fs/6823139
The nightly builds do this now. It is always the flash plugin & it's so annoying.

System Name Americas cure is the death of Social Justice & Political Correctness
Processor i7-11700K
Motherboard Asrock Z590 Extreme wifi 6E
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB Corsair RGB fancy boi 5000
Video Card(s) RTX 3090 Reference
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1Tb + Samsung 970 Evo 500Gb
Display(s) Dell - 27" LED QHD G-SYNC x2
Case Fractal Design Meshify-C
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ Gold 1000 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502 spectrum
Keyboard AZIO MGK-1 RGB (Kaith Blue)
Software Win 10 Professional 64 bit
Benchmark Scores the MLGeesiest
yeah, my java (although being disabled by me for a LONG time) has been officially disabled by mozilla.org apparently. good 4 them. as long as it doesn't cramp my style that is.

System Name Obelisc
Processor i7 3770k @ 4.8 GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V
Cooling H110
Memory 16GB(4x4) @ 2400 MHz 9-11-11-31
Video Card(s) GTX 780 Ti
Storage 850 EVO 1TB, 2x 5TB Toshiba
Case T81
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Titanium HD
Power Supply EVGA 850 T2 80+ TITANIUM
Software Win10 64bit
I'd be all for this big push to kill plugins if it weren't for the fact even major websites aren't ditching flash and java. Many many sites require those to login, view videos, checkout. Even facebook hadn't switched to html video last time I checked. Amazon is riddled with java bugs and would do well to ditch it. I know some sites depend on silverlight even which just seems absurd given microsofts statements on plugins.

AsRock

TPU addict
Processor AMD 3900X \ AMD 7700X
Motherboard ASRock AM4 X570 Pro 4 \ ASUS X670Xe TUF
Cooling D15
Memory Patriot 2x16GB PVS432G320C6K \ G.Skill Flare X5 F5-6000J3238F 2x16GB
Video Card(s) eVga GTX1060 SSC \ XFX RX 6950XT RX-695XATBD9
Storage Sammy 860, MX500, Sabrent Rocket 4 Sammy Evo 980 \ 1xSabrent Rocket 4+, Sammy 2x990 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 1080P \ LG 43UN700
Case Fractal Design Pop Air 2x140mm fans from Torrent \ Fractal Design Torrent 2 SilverStone FHP141x2
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V677 \ Yamaha CX-830+Yamaha MX-630 Infinity RS4000\Paradigm P Studio 20, Blue Yeti
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-750 \ Corsair RM1000X Shift
Mouse Steelseries Sensei wireless \ Steelseries Sensei wireless
Keyboard Logitech K120 \ Wooting Two HE
Benchmark Scores Meh benchmarks.
I had this kind of thing with Seamonkey, they disabled flash automatically running as it needed to be updated due to flash vulnerability's. After updating flash they re-enabled.

Plugins, fine. But their add-ons verification and updating process is a smelly pile of manure and a lot of developers have abandoned it in favor of self hosting of add-ons so they can update them in timely fashion.

I'd be all for this big push to kill plugins if it weren't for the fact even major websites aren't ditching flash and java. Many many sites require those to login, view videos, checkout. Even facebook hadn't switched to html video last time I checked. Amazon is riddled with java bugs and would do well to ditch it. I know some sites depend on silverlight even which just seems absurd given microsofts statements on plugins.
actually facebook switched within the last few weeks, you're also going offtopic as the major plugins are signed & get security updates

what this thread is about is unsigned & out of date plugins

where does amazon use java?? i hope you're not confusing with javascript

yeah, my java (although being disabled by me for a LONG time) has been officially disabled by mozilla.org apparently. good 4 them. as long as it doesn't cramp my style that is.

so why do you have a year old java version installed on the OS?

first of all, the java settings can disable browser support, rather than disabling in the browser (in case there is a browser exploit to enable a plugin)

second, java on the OS means any rogue exe can cause a problem, so you should always keep it updated if you need it

System Name Americas cure is the death of Social Justice & Political Correctness
Processor i7-11700K
Motherboard Asrock Z590 Extreme wifi 6E
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB Corsair RGB fancy boi 5000
Video Card(s) RTX 3090 Reference
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1Tb + Samsung 970 Evo 500Gb
Display(s) Dell - 27" LED QHD G-SYNC x2
Case Fractal Design Meshify-C
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ Gold 1000 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502 spectrum
Keyboard AZIO MGK-1 RGB (Kaith Blue)
Software Win 10 Professional 64 bit
Benchmark Scores the MLGeesiest

first of all, the java settings can disable browser support, rather than disabling in the browser (in case there is a browser exploit to enable a plugin)

second, java on the OS means any rogue exe can cause a problem, so you should always keep it updated if you need it

its a Year old because it WONT allow an update since a year ago, and My web functionality IS disabled for java.it WASNT when i installed FF, but i disable it when i do a re-install, which i did recently, That screen cap was taken the day i reinstalled my OS , but hadn't yet disabled java browser function via control panel in windows.

the point i made is still valid though, FF disabled it in addons, which is what the thread was about. I dont know what is using java on my PC, but it doesnt run in task manager, so im not too worried about it.

i looked into it, its from my daughter installing Minecraft i think., if im not mistaken, MC uses java to Some degree.so disabling it can easily slip by me, since to my knowledge it ISNT installed on my PC, but im not thew only one to use this PC, so it can take a day or so for me to realize something is installed.

Last edited:
System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches
Software Windows 11 Enterprise (legit), Gentoo Linux x64
Java on your PC isn't really much of a risk at all, Java in the browser is an abomination though...

the point i made is still valid though, FF disabled it in addons, which is what the thread was about. I dont know what is using java on my PC, but it doesnt run in task manager, so im not too worried about it.

i looked into it, its from my daughter installing Minecraft i think., if im not mistaken, MC uses java to Some degree.so disabling it can easily slip by me, since to my knowledge it ISNT installed on my PC, but im not thew only one to use this PC, so it can take a day or so for me to realize something is installed.
correct, minecraft is java

partially incorrect, firefox has been blocking specific plugin versions with known security advisories for several years now, along with offering that 'check for plugin updates' button

what has changed these days is enabling a signature check, particularly for extensions (.xpi packages, not compiled binary plugins that run at the OS level)

Java on your PC isn't really much of a risk at all, Java in the browser is an abomination though...
are both of you sure it's not an issue? ANY executable can launch java, even a script can launch jre.exe, therefore it's just another component that is a security risk when it's out of date

it is similar to having an old version IE installed, for example (in the past) if you had everything updated on winXP but kept IE6, it wouldnt have the 'do you want to allow this plugin' or other updated security functionality

as for the abomination, yes i can personally confirm i happened to have been hit in the past with what i think was a java drive by attack simply by visiting some forum with an out of date java version enabled in the browser

i love the feature FF added a few versions ago where you can 'ask to activate' every single plugin, this is perfect for flash, use it for known good sites, problem solved

partially incorrect, firefox has been blocking specific plugin versions with known security advisories for several years now, along with offering that 'check for plugin updates' button

No matter the version you still have to have an option to always enable it on all sites, it is about giving a user control of the program.

actually facebook switched within the last few weeks, you're also going offtopic as the major plugins are signed & get security updates

what this thread is about is unsigned & out of date plugins
That. The thread is about Firefox blocking add-ons and well the same situation is also with plugins. Firefox does not deem it important to show all options for unsigned (unknown plugins that you may have created yourself also and not submitted) add-ons and then you cannot enable them. The same things has been going on with Flash lately and Java for quite some time, I am okay with informing user about possible security risk but you still have to have an option to enable it despite that, this is called freedom.

forgot to mention, they plan to have some 'unbranded' browser version that will let you run unsigned addons, the point is to have regular users safe

since it's open source, it doesnt even matter if they permanently block after a few months with no workaround, someone is going to make a fork

EDIT: the current situation is 40 warns you, 41 has an about:config tweak, 42 will block it? something like that, they posted a schedule somewhere

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
are both of you sure it's not an issue? ANY executable can launch java

Any executable can launch another executable. This is generally true and not cause for alarm. Once you've launched a nefarious exe, you are already fucked.

Any executable can launch another executable. This is generally true and not cause for alarm. Once you've launched a nefarious exe, you are already fucked.
yes, but most everything has updates, that's pretty much my point, that it's simple & easy to keep individual software updated so known holes get closed

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
yes, but most everything has updates, that's pretty much my point, that it's simple & easy to keep individual software updated so known holes get closed

I don't disagree Java should be kept up to date. But the main things Java updates do are patch the sandboxing in the browser plugin... which no one in their right mind should be using.