• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Certifications?

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
If I'm to be brutally honest, you have a non-technical position in an entry level area of IT.
Cable installation and monitoring software is about the most entry level job available in the industry.
Again, you are not listening and you pick tidbits out of context. :( Cable pulling was an example. I don't do it. I have people with certs do the dirty work. And that is not to demean them because I hire only very qualified techs too. When setting up a new network in a facility, it still must be done and I expect it to be done correctly, the first time. And they get paid well to do it right too. But the project manager still gets paid more because he is responsible to ensure all those techs (and the programmers too, sysadmins, security, etc.) do their jobs right too.

And I didn't say "monitoring software". I said "setup monitoring, establish metrics, conduct the statistical analysis, create the training program, report status to executive management, then train our replacements". That is quite a bit above an entry-level position of someone who just watches a screen looking for problems.

And if you think establishing network monitoring on a secure, statewide distributive network tied to a state's mainframe is entry level, then you don't understand the complexity of such a WAN/intranet. Those "monitors" are really "controllers" and sysadmins for the distributive computing side, and the mainframe interface too.

You have made it clear you think you know the "whole" industry PM, but I am sorry, it is clear you don't. You may understand your company, but that is not how the global industry works.

For Comp Sci, the degree is a much more of a foundation to build off of. You can learn to develop software and still not know 60% of what you would learn by getting a degree. There are some theoretical aspects that help you avoid certain problems or be able to identify something before it becomes a thing. Just as the name state, it's the science of computers, sometimes it's practical and applied and sometimes it's not but, as a developer you'll always be better for it.

There are things to be said for skills such as algorithm analysis and being able to mathematically calculate how long your code will (roughly,) take to run based on the operations being done. These things do have a purpose in the field and can make your life easier given the right task. Simple point is, you don't know what you're missing when you've never had it. I couldn't imagine doing my job now without that expertise.

Side note: I had minimal English courses to get my degree. It was mostly Comp Sci, Math, Science, and Philosophy with abundance in that order (most to least.)
Exactly. The degree establishes the foundation, but is much more than that. It is stepping stone to branch out into many areas because to get a degree you already demonstrated an ability to learn and accomplish a variety of things.

As for English, I did not mean to imply a CompSci, IT, Applied Electronics, etc. gives you a minor in English. By advanced, I meant above normal "high school" level. Sorry for not making that clear. As you noted you still had to take some English classes to get your degree. Mine, for example, was not a straight-up English class, but Technical writing.
there are a lot of very talented people out there who have not got degrees
It is not a matter about talent, intelligence, or abilities. It is about opportunities. Doors that open that never would otherwise.

Pill Monster said:
Actually just thinking about it, how does anyone without formal qualifications get a job over there?
They don't! Unless it is a family owned business. But formal qualifications does not imply just certs. And BTW, this education culture is not different between here in the US or in NZ, or Europe. The certs are the same. While the names of a 4 year degree may be different, they mean the same too. IT means the same thing here and there and everywhere. Ethernet and wireless networks work the same. PCs work the same. The Internet works the same. The technologies are the same. And it takes the same skills, knowledge and expertise to build, maintain, and manage them all.

But again, if you are like Pill Monster's coworkers and are not concerned the future, stick with certs, do your job correctly, and you surely make a nice living.

Pill Monster said:
jester said:
Formal degrees are just paper.
Absolutely 100%
:roll: Yeah right! :rolleyes: Open your eyes and look around you. All around you - not just in your work place and see who is making the big money. Who will be secure when they take their early retirement. Who will be working, out of necessity, into their 70s and beyond. Stop trying to fool yourselves.

See that E7 in my sig. That means I was Enlisted, not a commissioned officer. That means I was the tech doing the actual work. Then I got my degree and moved into management - and higher pay. Again, I have been on both sides of the fence, and the big money, the one that lets me retire without worries, is on this side.

And again, there are always exceptions around, but you cannot count on you being the exception. You must invest for your retirement.

System Name Desktop
Processor Intel Core i5 6600k
Motherboard Asus Z170-E
Cooling Cooler Master 212 Evo
Memory 16 GB Ballistix DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1060
Storage 120GB OCZ Vector SSD & 1TB Western Digital Black
Case Rosewill
Audio Device(s) N/A
Power Supply 630w Raidmax Hybrid 2 RX-630SS
Mouse Logitech G402
Keyboard Rosewill Mechanical
Software Windows 10
Out of curiosity, which campus? Lowell, Amherst, or Boston? Are you looking at moving back to Michigan when you're done or would you want to stay in the North East after you're done? I guess it might be a bit early to be asking that but, there are a lot of opportunities around here.

I live in Michigan and attend online. But to answer the first part of your question, I attend the Lowell campus. I actually thought about doing some online job searching around that area. I have heard that Massachusetts is pretty nice.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Michigan, especially the Detroit area has been depressed for some time, but has been on a slow but steady rebound for about 5 years now with 2015 expected to be no exception. Of course car and truck factories are not just in Michigan but a lot of parts still come out of there so even if a truck is put together in Tennessee, many parts come from Michigan.

The East coast is nice, great scenery and places to visit, but really crowded. And did you see the snow they had last winter?

System Name Desktop
Motherboard Asus Z170-E
Case Rosewill
Audio Device(s) N/A
Mouse Logitech G402
Software Windows 10
The East coast is nice, great scenery and places to visit, but really crowded. And did you see the snow they had last winter?

Haha! Yeah I did! I am use to snow here but holy hell!

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
I live in Michigan and attend online. But to answer the first part of your question, I attend the Lowell campus. I actually thought about doing some online job searching around that area. I have heard that Massachusetts is pretty nice.
If you don't mind a ton of people, Mass it okay. New Hampshire (which I live,) is my preference. I don't like traveling south of the border because of traffic. I'm about an hour out of Boston and 15 from Manchester. There are a number of users who live up here in the North East. A lot of software jobs are going to be in Boston of greater Boston area like Cambridge. My current job allows me telework twice a week which lets me only put 300 instead of 500 miles a week on the car.

Good luck with the schooling. :)

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Haha! Yeah I did! I am use to snow here but holy hell!
Right! We get an average of 32" per year, and being in The Great Plains with no mountains to slow it down, we get some really bitter cold winds with -60 to -70° wind chills you just cannot hide from. And we get drifts that bury cars and block doors. But they had falling snow that buried cars and blocked doors. No thank you.

A few years ago, my sister and I bought our parents a hot air balloon ride for their 50th anniversary and they took it up in New Hampshire in the fall to see the changing trees. That I would like to see. 10 feet (or more) of snow - no way. ;)

System Name Desktop
Motherboard Asus Z170-E
Case Rosewill
Audio Device(s) N/A
Mouse Logitech G402
Software Windows 10
If you don't mind a ton of people, Mass it okay. New Hampshire (which I live,) is my preference. I don't like traveling south of the border because of traffic. I'm about an hour out of Boston and 15 from Manchester. There are a number of users who live up here in the North East. A lot of software jobs are going to be in Boston of greater Boston area like Cambridge. My current job allows me telework twice a week which lets me only put 300 instead of 500 miles a week on the car.

Good luck with the schooling. :)

Ahhhh, so I should stick to looking around the New Hampshire area? I am not a huge fan of super crowded spots haha.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Software MacOS 12.1
Lowell isn't exactly right next door to NH but its close, you would have a little bit of a commute if you were to try and live in NH. Lowell isn't too far away, in fact Lowell is about as far away as work is for me from Concord, but I also drive for about 45 minutes to get to work. Mass tends to be crowded though, just a forewarning. It depends on how close you want to live to school and if you're going to be working while doing it.

System Name Desktop
Motherboard Asus Z170-E
Case Rosewill
Audio Device(s) N/A
Mouse Logitech G402
Software Windows 10
Well I would still attend online so really I could live anywhere, even if it were a ways away from Mass. Like I said, I'm not too big a fan of crowded or huge cities. I am alright living on the outskirts of one and driving into it for work or other purposes, but not living.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Software MacOS 12.1
Well I would still attend online so really I could live anywhere, even if it were a ways away from Mass. Like I said, I'm not too big a fan of crowded or huge cities. I am alright living on the outskirts of one and driving into it for work or other purposes, but not living.
That works for schooling but, you still need to live close to where ever you end up working. Just keep that in mind.

System Name Desktop
Motherboard Asus Z170-E
Case Rosewill
Audio Device(s) N/A
Mouse Logitech G402