• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ASUS Z170-DELUXE (Intel LGA-1151)

cadaveca

My name is Dave
We've seen a GAMING board, but what about those of us who want the best while making use of all the features provided by a platform? With support for NMVe devices right in the box, the ASUS Z170-DELUXE hits the ground running. Mixed with great audio and one of the most extensive BIOSes ever, the ASUS Z170-DELUXE is exactly that - deluxe.

Show full review

Last edited by a moderator:
I just finished upgrading 4 PCs at home (for kids and moms stuff, low-mid levels) and you are making me sick sick sick, Dave, so thanks for offering a brilliant review with totally sexy photos!!! And lots of insight that awaits further investigation :) My first Asus was a Deluxe, so I am droooling badly

System Name anime_server//home_pc//rufy_pc//htpc//film_server
Processor EQ8300@3.03/E7200@3.16/E8400@3.06/E5300@2.93/J1900
Motherboard Asus P5Q-DLX/MSI G31M3-L V2/GA-G41M-ES2L/AsRock Conroe1333-D667/AsRock Q1900-ITX
Cooling CM Hyper48+Vantec Tornado/stock/Asus Triton/stock/stock
Memory 2*2G PI8000+2*1G Extreme800+/2*2G PC2-6400/1*2G+1*512M PC2-6400/2*1G Kingston PC2-6400/2*4G so-DDR3
Video Card(s) Palit GTX460 1GB w EK Supreme/GTS240 1GB/Asus HD4550 512MB/Asus 7200GS 128MB/iHD
Storage too many in too many config
Display(s) Asus VS239--BenQ G922HDL--Philips 191V--Panasonic TX-40CS620--BenQ 2220HDL
Case Chieftec super towa--Nokia Style--TechSolo TC-020--Lenovo Case--NXT one
Audio Device(s) Creative Audigy!--onboard--onboard--onboard--onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX850 w Aerocool fan--Antec EA380--FSP-300-60GHS--crappy one--LC-Power LC7300
Software W7Pro x64--W8.1Pro--W7Pro x64--W7Pro--Win server 2012r2
Benchmark Scores need more GB, more GPU and more CPU.. at least can share all with my rig
well this board is very good!
except sata speed, rear port ( 4 usb 3.1 will be enough... 2 usb 2.0 and 2 3.0 will be perfect! ) and.. the shroud surrounding rear port!!!
hate a lot that kind in every mobo.. seems that vrm will be sky-high temp if not cooled with a tiny hole in the rear plate...
neither p4p800-e nor p5q deluxe suffered anytime of high vrm temp so.. why this mobo ( ok heatsink is not made by copper... but is way bigger ) could need that " shroud " ?

btw interesting mobo... wifi apart :-D

System Name Gentoo64 /w Cold Coffee
Processor 9900K 5.2GHz @1.312v
Motherboard MXI APEX
Cooling Raystorm Pro + 1260mm Super Nova
Memory 2x16GB TridentZ 4000-14-14-28-2T @1.6v
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 LiquidX Barrow 3015MHz @1.1v
Storage 660P 1TB, 860 QVO 2TB
Display(s) LG C1 + Predator XB1 QHD
Case Open Benchtable V2
Audio Device(s) SB X-Fi
Power Supply MSI A1000G
Mouse G502
Keyboard G815
Software Gentoo/Windows 10
Benchmark Scores Always only ever very fast
The first section I skipped to is the OC section, brimming with enthusiasm, but was thrown off by the following:
I did do quite a bit of testing with those clocks afterward, and they proved to be quite stable, but how stable the end result is may vary from CPU to CPU.
Seeing 4.6GHz -- that's cool, about average. Seeing 1.3v -- great, this is lower than what earlier reviews have reported. Reports were up to 1.4v for this clock. However, that sentence doesn't instill any confidence into the achieved OC. Can you elaborate any more on the duration and test(s) that you used? Also (nitpicking) stability "shouldn't" vary from CPU to CPU, if you have a standard of measure. It is the OC ceiling that varies.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
The first section I skipped to is the OC section, brimming with enthusiasm, but was thrown off by the following:
Seeing 4.6GHz -- that's cool, about average. Seeing 1.3v -- great, this is lower than what earlier reviews have reported. Reports were up to 1.4v for this clock. However, that sentence doesn't instill any confidence into the achieved OC. Can you elaborate any more on the duration and test(s) that you used? Also (nitpicking) stability "shouldn't" vary from CPU to CPU, if you have a standard of measure. It is the OC ceiling that varies.

I have an above-average 6700K, yes. I have an even better 2nd one. ;) The one used in my board testing has a default voltage of 1.248V. My memory testing CPU has a default of 1.212V.

That sentence was referring to the stability offered by the tool's testing, rather than the CPU clock itself. Some CPUs will be close to the edge, some will not be, since the tool tests in 100 MHz increments with default settings. You are correct that the "ceiling" of some CPUs will be lower than others, and hence that comment. You simply didn't take it in stride, but no big deal. Many users complain about the auto-clocking offered by AI Suite in the past, this tool, with proper settings applied, is much better than past versions. Likely 4.7 was stable..it crashed on 4.8, and then dropped 2 multis. At that point in the review, I am reviewing the auto-clocking abilities of AI suite only.

I do tend to test far more extensively than anyone else has ever reported. Some users use a couple of tools... I use EVERYTHING. All the benchmarks shown in the review, AIDA64 stability testing (both with FPU only and with CPU/Mem/etc), Prime95, F@H, ASUS RealBench, etc, etc, etc.

I also test with a wide variety of memory modules(from 2133 MHz to 3600 MHz currently), and with more than one CPU. More than most reviewers and users for sure. So much so that your doubts in my statements are truly upsetting to me. If I wasn't honest or confident in my methods and results, I'd not even do reviews.

well this board is very good!
except sata speed, rear port ( 4 usb 3.1 will be enough... 2 usb 2.0 and 2 3.0 will be perfect! ) and.. the shroud surrounding rear port!!!
hate a lot that kind in every mobo.. seems that vrm will be sky-high temp if not cooled with a tiny hole in the rear plate...
neither p4p800-e nor p5q deluxe suffered anytime of high vrm temp so.. why this mobo ( ok heatsink is not made by copper... but is way bigger ) could need that " shroud " ?

btw interesting mobo... wifi apart :-D
VRM heat is not trapped in the shroud. Never seen it be an issue on any board I have reviewed, but if it was, I'd report about it. Those are the sorts of things I look for (see my MSI Z170 GAMING M7 review mentioning I poke around with my fingers;))

tabascosauz

Supporter
Staff member
System Name ab┃ob
Processor 7800X3D┃5800X3D
Motherboard B650E PG-ITX┃X570 Impact
Cooling NH-U12A + T30┃AXP120-x67
Memory 64GB 6000CL30┃32GB 3600CL14
Video Card(s) RTX 4070 Ti Eagle┃RTX A2000
Storage 8TB of SSDs┃1TB SN550
Display(s) 43" QN90B / 32" M32Q / 27" S2721DGF
Case Caselabs S3┃Lazer3D HT5
Would you consider adding a look at the CPU VRM to your reviews? I've seen you do it for some boards in the past, but it's on/off; I know you have a pretty good camera with which you take pictures of other surface mounted components, so would it be possible to do a picture or two of the PWM and MOSFETs? That is, on boards where the MOSFETs are reasonably easy to access; I know that some have really crappy pushpins.

System Name Gentoo64 /w Cold Coffee
Processor 9900K 5.2GHz @1.312v
Motherboard MXI APEX
Cooling Raystorm Pro + 1260mm Super Nova
Memory 2x16GB TridentZ 4000-14-14-28-2T @1.6v
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 LiquidX Barrow 3015MHz @1.1v
Storage 660P 1TB, 860 QVO 2TB
Display(s) LG C1 + Predator XB1 QHD
Case Open Benchtable V2
Audio Device(s) SB X-Fi
Power Supply MSI A1000G
Mouse G502
Keyboard G815
Software Gentoo/Windows 10
Benchmark Scores Always only ever very fast
I have an above-average 6700K, yes. I have an even better 2nd one. ;) The one used in my board testing has a default voltage of 1.248V. My memory testing CPU has a default of 1.212V.

That sentence was referring to the stability offered by the tool's testing, rather than the CPU clock itself. Some CPUs will be close to the edge, some will not be, since the tool tests in 100 MHz increments with default settings. You are correct that the "ceiling" of some CPUs will be lower than others, and hence that comment. You simply didn't take it in stride, but no big deal. Many users complain about the auto-clocking offered by AI Suite in the past, this tool, with proper settings applied, is much better than past versions. Likely 4.7 was stable..it crashed on 4.8, and then dropped 2 multis. At that point in the review, I am reviewing the auto-clocking abilities of AI suite only.

I do tend to test far more extensively than anyone else has ever reported. Some users use a couple of tools... I use EVERYTHING. All the benchmarks shown in the review, AIDA64 stability testing (both with FPU only and with CPU/Mem/etc), Prime95, F@H, ASUS RealBench, etc, etc, etc.

I also test with a wide variety of memory modules(from 2133 MHz to 3600 MHz currently), and with more than one CPU. More than most reviewers and users for sure. So much so that your doubts in my statements are truly upsetting to me. If I wasn't honest or confident in my methods and results, I'd not even do reviews.

VRM heat is not trapped in the shroud. Never seen it be an issue on any board I have reviewed, but if it was, I'd report about it. Those are the sorts of things I look for (see my MSI Z170 GAMING M7 review mentioning I poke around with my fingers;))

Sorry if I put too much emphasis on the CPU while this is technically a motherboard review, and an ASUS one at that. However, I am missing something because I can't tell if the CPU Performance results are from the automated overclock or stock. My intuition would say stock, therefore I assume there are no published OC benchmark results. In fact you didn't claim any manual overclock anywhere, so I am looking for something that doesn't exist. Well... perhaps you can manually push the chip on that board and see what you end up with, please?

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Sorry if I put too much emphasis on the CPU while this is technically a motherboard review, and an ASUS one at that. However, I am missing something because I can't tell if the CPU Performance results are from the automated overclock or stock. My intuition would say stock, therefore I assume there are no published OC benchmark results. In fact you didn't claim any manual overclock anywhere, so I am looking for something that doesn't exist. Well... perhaps you can manually push the chip on that board and see what you end up with, please?
As you said, the end results would be CPU dependent, so are not reported.

And yes, those are stock numbers. Just like GPU reviews. Maybe I'll include one OC result in the future, like W1zzard does in his GPU reviews.

There are only minor differences in CPU OC so far in my testing, while memory OC is a bit varied by board, but only due to BIOS. So spending time reporting such things only plays into brand favoritism, in my books. If you want a board for OC, each OEM makes a board specifically designed for that, and this is not one of those boards. Proper CPU clocking on all aspects of the CPU does require a BIOS tuned to do so. When reviewing a board tuned for OC, I will focus more on OC.

I won't report on individual CPU clocking characteristics as we have a CPU reviewer to do that. I understand you might be interested to hear about my chip because it is better than most others seen in reviews, so I can tell you the max under 1.42V that I can get is 4.9 GHz, and it doesn't matter which board I use, so far. I have tested two boards fully, and the third, from Gigabyte, is currently in testing.

Would you consider adding a look at the CPU VRM to your reviews? I've seen you do it for some boards in the past, but it's on/off; I know you have a pretty good camera with which you take pictures of other surface mounted components, so would it be possible to do a picture or two of the PWM and MOSFETs? That is, on boards where the MOSFETs are reasonably easy to access; I know that some have really crappy pushpins.

PWM = Pulse Width Modulation. This refers to how the power is generated.

VRM = Voltage Regulation Module. This refers to power module components such as MOSFETs, input drivers, and chokes, as a whole.

I have a cheap $130 camera, actually (and we are talking $130 5 years ago). Good pics are about lighting and knowing the glass of the lens and how to make the most of it.

Anyway, I wonder why you care about MOSFET choices? I need a real reason to spend time investigating further, since I don't make any money doing reviews, and I know that StevenB here on TPU will include those pictures on his review on the site he reviews for. I stopped showing such when I had done enough testing to convince myself that it doesn't matter much. There are too many other variables that affect things to make providing such info worth anything other than to have pictures, and I have more pictures than most other sites already. Time is money, after all.

tabascosauz

Supporter
Staff member
System Name ab┃ob
Processor 7800X3D┃5800X3D
Motherboard B650E PG-ITX┃X570 Impact
Cooling NH-U12A + T30┃AXP120-x67
Memory 64GB 6000CL30┃32GB 3600CL14
Video Card(s) RTX 4070 Ti Eagle┃RTX A2000
Storage 8TB of SSDs┃1TB SN550
Display(s) 43" QN90B / 32" M32Q / 27" S2721DGF
Case Caselabs S3┃Lazer3D HT5
PWM = Pulse Width Modulation. This refers to how the power is generated.

VRM = Voltage Regulation Module. This refers to power module components such as MOSFETs, input drivers, and chokes, as a whole.

I have a cheap $130 camera, actually (and we are talking $130 5 years ago). Good pics are about lighting and knowing the glass of the lens and how to make the most of it.

Anyway, I wonder why you care about MOSFET choices? I need a real reason to spend time investigating further, since I don't make any money doing reviews, and I know that StevenB here on TPU will include those pictures on his review on the site he reviews for. I stopped showing such when I had done enough testing to convince myself that it doesn't matter much. There are too many other variables that affect things to make providing such info worth anything other than to have pictures, and I have more pictures than most other sites already. Time is money, after all.

Sorry. Incorrect use of terminology. I meant pictures of the MOSFETs and the controller. Well, do what you do best. Good review as always.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Sorry. Incorrect use of terminology. I meant pictures of the MOSFETs and the controller. Well, do what you do best. Good review as always.
No worries; a common mistake I used to make myself all the time (even in some of my earlier reviews!)

ASUS finally learned to make nice software. P5Q Deluxe and current Rampage II Gene are still the traditional asian software mess with crappy bitmap skinned programs. But the new software is really nice. Sleek, easy to navigate, functional. I really like it.

Processor Intel i7 4790K
Motherboard Asus Z97 Deluxe
Cooling Thermalright Ultra Extreme 120
Memory Corsair Dominator 1866Mhz 4X4GB
Video Card(s) Asus R290X
Storage Samsung 850 Pro SSD 256GB/Samsung 840 Evo SSD 1TB
Display(s) Samsung S23A950D
Case Corsair 850D
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek
Power Supply Corsair AX850
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G710+
Software Windows 10 x64
Cool review,...... Hey cadaveca can you run a Aida memory test with the CPU at 4.4Ghz and memory at 2133?? I really want to get a clock for clock comparison between this platform and a my 4790K @4.4 GHz and memory at the same speed. I have the Z97 platform so you dont need to run that, just on the Z170 platform, if you could, it will only take a few minutes, if you're not too busy, I know you cant test for everything but if you can.

BTW, The CPU voltage setting to use on new Asus boards is Adaptive mode. Its the best setting. It allows you to run normal voltage at normal clocks and only increases voltage in turbo mode and you can set an upper limit. So, even if you set an overclock of say 4.5Ghz, with say 1.28 Volts you will only get increased voltage (1.28v) when the CPU is running between , 4Ghz-4.5Ghz, (on a 6700K) the rest of the time it runs stock voltage, including when the CPU is downclocked at idle. . With offset mode, or manual setting you're always running higher than stock voltage even if the CPU is at idle.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Cool review,...... Hey cadaveca can you run a Aida memory test with the CPU at 4.4Ghz and memory at 2133?? I really want to get a clock for clock comparison between this platform and a my 4790K @4.4 GHz and memory at the same speed. I have the Z97 platform so you dont need to run that, just on the Z170 platform, if you could, it will only take a few minutes, if you're not too busy, I know you cant test for everything but if you can.

BTW, The CPU voltage setting to use on new Asus boards is Adaptive mode. Its the best setting. It allows you to run normal voltage at normal clocks and only increases voltage in turbo mode and you can set an upper limit. So, even if you set an overclock of say 4.5Ghz, with say 1.28 Volts you will only get increased voltage (1.28v) when the CPU is running between , 4Ghz-4.5Ghz, (on a 6700K) the rest of the time it runs stock voltage, including when the CPU is downclocked at idle. . With offset mode, or manual setting you're always running higher than stock voltage even if the CPU is at idle.
Nope, sorry, board is already pulled apart and put back in its box and new board is being tested. You'll have to ask our CPU reviewer for CPU-specific stuff, as 2133 MHz DD4 on skylake with stock CPU (4.2 GHz) on two different boards is already posted in this review. Increasing CPU speed 200 MHz makes for only small differences (about 100 MB/s).

Also, "adaptive mode" has been around for a while now.... for several generations... and not just on ASUS, but like every brand? You'll find a recent thread with Z87 adaptive mode being talked about HERE

Processor Intel i7 4790K
Motherboard Asus Z97 Deluxe
Cooling Thermalright Ultra Extreme 120
Memory Corsair Dominator 1866Mhz 4X4GB
Video Card(s) Asus R290X
Storage Samsung 850 Pro SSD 256GB/Samsung 840 Evo SSD 1TB
Display(s) Samsung S23A950D
Case Corsair 850D
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek
Power Supply Corsair AX850
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G710+
Software Windows 10 x64
Ok, I guess I can set my CPU to 4.2Ghz to get an exact comparison.

Yah I know Adaptive mode has been around for little while , I meant Asus newer boards, I have it on my Z97, been using it since I got it , but Adaptive mode was not present on the Z87 mainstream platform, offset mode was, but not adaptive mode. It might have been present on the ROG Z87 boards but Adaptive mode first came out on Z97 for the mainstream platform. I didnt know other brands have that setting, i'm only using Asus boards lately. I just mentioned it because it sounded like in the review you werent aware of it, or preferred a different setting when overclocking. The Asus reps like AJ and most people recommend adaptive mode for overclocking these days.

https://vip.asus.com/forum/view.asp..._id=1&model=Z97-DELUXE&page=1&SLanguage=en-us

Last edited:

cadaveca

My name is Dave
like I said, 4.2 to 4.4 makes for a ~100 MB/s difference. The change is very small because the L3 is separate. Increasing cache speed is the way to increase bandwidth, but it is not as "reactive" to changes as Haswell-E was, since default "cache" is 4.1 GHz. 4.2 GHz is stock on 6700K, btw, if you weren't already aware.

AH, you might be right about the mainstream platform not having it. And yeah, other brands do as well. IT's great for getting higher clocks while also maintaining power savings, but on past platforms, manual mode worked best for highest clocks, while adaptive is more suited to stock to about 4.6/4.7, depending on CPU quality.

Last edited:

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
What is the difference between the NICs? The only thing about the I219v i find is when it's about motherboards. It's not important, I just got curious. :p

cadaveca

My name is Dave
What is the difference between the NICs? The only thing about the I219v i find is when it's about motherboards. It's not important, I just got curious. :p
You know, honestly, I'd have to look up a spec sheet. I do know that there is negligible difference between the two for most uses. I'm working on adding in LAN testing to my reviews to help differentiate between controllers, but I need to still find the "right" workload that shows real differences, but with most boards now coming with CFOS software (or KIllerNIc's similar software), managing all that and sussing out what's really going on seems a bit more complex than I had ever anticipated. Like, I suppose I could just remove the softwares... but since the board comes with software, I should use it in testing, right?

I do have a 10 Gbit system that I have set up for testing LAN devices to ensure that I can push more than most controllers, but I need to work more on tests and results before I can come up with something tangible.

Installing Windows7 is a pain, too. But if you are using the most recent hardware, you should use the most recent OS as well, and Windows 10 works great.

Why should I Dave?
If Win 7 can (and does) work fine with Z170 why make things difficult during installation? To push you to Win 10?
Well Dave, Win 10 is such a privacy nightmare that even a hardened pessimistic like myself is surprised. And a tech writer like yourself should be stressing that at every opportunity, instead of stating banalities like the one bolded above.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Why should I Dave?
If Win 7 can (and does) work fine with Z170 why make things difficult during installation? To push you to Win 10?
Well Dave, Win 10 is such a privacy nightmare that even a hardened pessimistic like myself is surprised. And a tech writer like yourself should be stressing that at every opportunity, instead of stating banalities like the one bolded above.
I don't feel the same as you do about Win10 and if you are worried about apparent privacy, get rid of your cell phone, and stay off the internet. I have never believed that there is any privacy on the internet, and I understand that my privacy is protected by law in my country. I use Win10 on all my machines except for one that runs Windows 8.1. I have a couple of software that I use that do not work right in Windows 10.

At the same time, it is not ASUS' fault that the 6-year old Win7 doesn't have USB drivers on it for this newly-released chipset. That's all it is. It was the same with mainstream ASUS X99 boards, too.

And no, I do not use or own a cell phone, or "personal tracking device" as I like to call it.

Also, using Windows 10 is optional, and you can slipstream driver in no problem, use Linux or even Windows 8.1. Would it have been nicer if ASUS did as MSI has, and put a work-around in the BIOS? You bet. I have pointed out that there is this problem with installing Windows7, and my obligations are complete.

sonnendieb

Awesome and thorough review. One question though: Can you use the water pump head for fans as well?

cadaveca

My name is Dave
The water-pump plug has slightly different wiring compared to the others. It is best to check the online version of the manual to see what I mean.

sonnendieb

Hm. Not really. It's basically the same, ground, voltage, rpm and pvm. I wonder if the only difference is that the plug is full speed by default. I'm curious because I don't want to use the plugs that are somewhere in the middle of the board. Who put them there anyway? But I still Nee one more since there are five fans in my case...

sonnendieb

Hm. Not really. It's basically the same, ground, voltage, rpm and pvm. I wonder if the only difference is that the plug is full speed by default. I'm curious because I don't want to use the plugs that are somewhere in the middle of the board. Who put them there anyway? But I still need one more since there are five fans in my case...

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Hm. Not really. It's basically the same, ground, voltage, rpm and pvm. I wonder if the only difference is that the plug is full speed by default. I'm curious because I don't want to use the plugs that are somewhere in the middle of the board. Who put them there anyway? But I still Nee one more since there are five fans in my case...
The speed is variable, but yes I do believe it is full-speed by default. In my manual the plug is wired very differently, hence my suggestion to check the online onne.

You can add more fan control by purchasing the add-on ASUS fan EXT card.

System Name Current rig
Processor i9-9900k
Motherboard Z390 Aorus Xtreme
Cooling Corsair h150i Pro
Memory 32GB Ripjaws V 3200
Video Card(s) Asus 2090 ti Strix
Storage Samsung 970 Pro 1tb
Display(s) Alienware aw3418dw
Case Thermaltake View 91
Power Supply seasonic 1kw
What extra pins are you speaking about?