• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Nvidia PASCAL...next-gen GPU.

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
Simple answer... The 1st to implement HBM was AMD.

Nvidia will take this tec and Re-engineer the HBM shit and stomp AMD as usual for this go Around But----:rockout:

But yes I say, as being a red Team fan.. umm that the Green team will prevail as the usual k :lovetpu:

I dunno, AMD have experience at working hardware level of HBM, Nvidia haven't. There's a good chance AMD can utilise HBM2 more effectively given their hands on experience with Fiji. After all, its not just HBM that's immature, its the design implementation of it. Surely AMD have a head start?

fullinfusion

Vanguard Beta Tester
I dunno, AMD have experience at working hardware level of HBM, Nvidia haven't. There's a good chance AMD can utilise HBM2 more effectively given their hands on experience with Fiji. After all, its not just HBM that's immature, its the design implementation of it. Surely AMD have a head start?
Agreed @the54thvoid

Amd Have there hand in the honey pot as they'd say....

but being A red team supporter.................. I really don't know, nvidia.. always seem to overcome the red team...

I never give up, but I always take the reality of these new cards to what they are and not what they do.. Umm lol, Yeah the both Is what I look at Duhh :peace:

Processor i7-13700k
Motherboard Asus Tuf Gaming z790-plus
Cooling Coolermaster Hyper 212 RGB
Memory Corsair Vengeance RGB 32GB DDR5 7000mhz
Video Card(s) Asus Dual Geforce RTX 4070 Super ( 2800mhz @ 1.0volt, ~60mhz overlock -.1volts. 180-190watt draw)
Storage 1x Samsung 980 Pro PCIe4 NVme, 2x Samsung 1tb 850evo SSD, 3x WD drives, 2 seagate
Display(s) Acer Predator XB273u 27inch IPS G-Sync 165hz
Power Supply Corsair RMx Series RM850x (OCZ Z series PSU retired after 13 years of service)
Mouse Logitech G502 hero
Keyboard Logitech G710+
From what I see, Pascel is just NVIDIA's interpretation of AMD Fury: die shrink, some tweaks, HBM2 controller.
It was good that nvidia didn't use HBM on 980ti, else the shortage of fury's you see now would be a lot worse otherwise.
I could also see Nvidia getting attacked over 4gb ram where as AMD gets a pass at it which they have.
Did AMD actually invent HBM? Or are they not just the first to utilise it?
They didn't invent it, they worked with Hynix to make it so if anyone would own the patent for it would be Hynix.

Last edited:
System Name Echo
Processor Intel Core I5-6500
Motherboard Asrock H170-PRO4S
Cooling Stock cooler
Memory 2x8 GB Crucial DDR4 2133MHz CL16 (CT2K8G4DFD8213)
Video Card(s) Integrated (For the moment)
Storage SSD A-DATA Premier Pro SP920 (2.5, SATA3, 256GB MLC,) (ASP920SS3-256GM-C)
Display(s) Philips Brilliance 220SW
Case Zalman Z3 Plus
Audio Device(s) Integrated
Power Supply CoolerMaster V550S (550w, 80+Gold)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
Don't think that really matters too much, Nvidia can learn from AMD HBM 1 mistakes to make HBM 2 better.

Processor i7-13700k
Video Card(s) Asus Dual Geforce RTX 4070 Super ( 2800mhz @ 1.0volt, ~60mhz overlock -.1volts. 180-190watt draw)
Storage 1x Samsung 980 Pro PCIe4 NVme, 2x Samsung 1tb 850evo SSD, 3x WD drives, 2 seagate
Power Supply Corsair RMx Series RM850x (OCZ Z series PSU retired after 13 years of service)
Mouse Logitech G502 hero
Keyboard Logitech G710+
Don't think that really matters too much, Nvidia can learn from AMD HBM 1 mistakes to make HBM 2 better.
Also nvidia has prototypes of their next gpu with HBM2 which was reported like 1-2 months ago so they have time to work with HBM2.

System Name Windows 10 64-bit Core i7 6700
Processor Intel Core i7 6700
Motherboard Asus Z170M-PLUS
Cooling Corsair AIO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Kingston DDR4 2666
Video Card(s) Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB, Seagate Baracuda 1 TB
Display(s) Dell P2414H
Case Corsair Carbide Air 540
Audio Device(s) Realtek HD Audio
Power Supply Corsair TX v2 650W
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Keyboard CM Storm Quickfire Pro, Cherry MX Reds
Software MS Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
NVidia has very good memory controller engineering team that did a great job since Kepler, I kinda expect them to pull the proverbial rabbit out of the hat.
Regarding NVLink, remember when motherboards had northbridge chip on them, those times when chipset was in fact a set of chips ... I don't think that motherboard manufacturers would mind putting one more proprietary chip while charging a fat premium ... I'm talking gsync kind of premium ... it'll work beautifully and cost a fortune ... in onther words, it will suck

System Name Auriga
Processor Ryzen 7950X3D w/ aquacomputer cuplex kryos NEXT with VISION - acrylic/nickel
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X670E-E Gaming WiFi
Cooling Alphacool Res/D5 Combo •• Corsair XR7 480mm + Black Ice Nemesis 360GTS radiators •• 7xNF-A12 chromax
Memory 2x 32GB G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB @ 6200MHz, 30-40-40-28, 1.35V (F5-6000J3040G32GX2-TZ5NR)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X w/ Bykski waterblock
Storage 2TB WD Black SN850X ••• 2TB Corsair M510 ••• 40TB QNAP NAS via SFP+ NIC
Display(s) Alienware AW3423DWF (3440x1440, 10-bit @ 139Hz)
Case Thermaltake Core P8
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Razer Viper V2 Pro (FPS games) + Logitech MX Master 2S (everything else)
Keyboard Keycult No2 rev 1 w/Amber Alps and TX stabilizers on a steel plate. DCS 9009 WYSE keycaps
Software W10 X64 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/c3rxw7
Amd made this and all Nvidia did was copy this!

well, no. AMD came up with the concept for it, but Hynix "made it". whatever the case may be, stacked RAM was coming anyway. if Hynix would not have done it, Micron, Samsung or even Intel would have. they all have working 3D volatile and non volatile memory technology.

while AMD obviously deserves a lot of credit for conceiving the idea, they had no choice but to make this technology open to everyone, even the dirty bastards at nvidia. no memory manufacturer would ever drop a massive fortune developing something specifically for one company who happen to be in distant second place in every industry they are in, and those industries are slowly dying. Hynix survives on small margins and insane volumes.

Last edited:

cadaveca

My name is Dave
well, no. AMD came up with the concept for it, but Hynix "made it". whatever the case may be, stacked RAM was coming anyway. if Hynix would not have done it, Micron, Samsung or even Intel would have. they all have working 3D volatile and non volatile memory technology.

while AMD obviously deserves a lot of credit for conceiving the idea, they had no choice but to make this technology open to everyone, even the dirty bastards at nvidia. no memory manufacturer would ever drop a massive fortune developing something specifically for one company who happen to be in distant second place in every industry they are in, and those industries are slowly dying. Hynix survives on small margins and insane volumes.
It makes sense that AMD would have much experience with TSV design, since they had issues wit ha certain GPU that on it's refresh, got doubled-up TSVs (RV740... LINK )... Which makes all of this rather... well... old tech, just not public tech. :p

Anandtech said:
David Wang, ATI’s VP of Graphics Engineering at the time, had concerns about TSMC’s 40nm process that he voiced to Carrell early on in the RV740 design process. David was worried that the metal handling in the fabrication process might lead to via quality issues. Vias are tiny connections between the different metal layers on a chip, and the thinking was that the via failure rate at 40nm was high enough to impact the yield of the process. Even if the vias wouldn’t fail completely, the quality of the via would degrade the signal going through the via.

That linked article might have been one of Anandtech's best articles ever...

Ebo

System Name the little fart
Processor AMD Ryzen 2600X
Motherboard MSI x470 gaming plus
Cooling Noctua NH-C14S
Memory 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaw 2400Mhz DDR 4
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX Vega 56 Pulse
Storage 1 Crucial MX100 512GB SSD,1 Crucial MX500 2TB SSD, 1 1,5TB WD Black Caviar, 1 4TB WD RED HD
Display(s) IIyama XUB2792QSU IPS 2560x1440
Case White Lian-Li PC-011 Dynamic
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar SE pci-e card
Power Supply Thermaltake DPS G 1050 watt Digital PSU
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Keyboard Corsair K70
Software windows 10 64 pro bit
To me Pascal isent really a giant leap forward, its more like a normal development.

Do I like what have been rumors so far, not really. To me its like Nvidia just lets others do the hard work, and prosper on others achivement.

what I really dont understand is why Hynix and AMD didnt take out a patent on this whole new ram teknology, and just kept Nvidia out of it all. The reason for it would force Nvidia to make their own kind of new tec and most positivily set back development of new GFX by at least a couple of years which I see as a good thing.

I would rather have both compagnies release new products when they really have something to show, not just the mishmash they have been releasing the last years.

Processor i7-13700k
Mouse Logitech G502 hero
Keyboard Logitech G710+
To me Pascal isent really a giant leap forward, its more like a normal development.

Do I like what have been rumors so far, not really. To me its like Nvidia just lets others do the hard work, and prosper on others achivement.

what I really dont understand is why Hynix and AMD didnt take out a patent on this whole new ram teknology, and just kept Nvidia out of it all. The reason for it would force Nvidia to make their own kind of new tec and most positivily set back development of new GFX by at least a couple of years which I see as a good thing.
Pretty sure hynix if they had patent for it would be very happy to sell to nvidia cause well it will bring in a ton of money due to nvidia having the market. If they did that nvidia likely would come up with their own ram in partnership with one hynix's competitors. Hynix will only have AMD to sell to which is big question if AMD will survive. As for you saying they should shut nvidia out, well that would be very hypocritical of AMD to do that to claim they want all open standards this and that and end up shutting out nvidia from it. Early rumored reports is pascal will be a massive jump in performance think remember seeing along likes of like 50-60%. Nvidia cards as fast as they are tend to be more bottlenecked by memory bandwidth since kepler series was released. That memory would remove any of that.