• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Unlocked Realtek HD Audio Drivers Windows 7 & 8 (With Dolby Digital Live and DTS Interactive)

That's how I have everything connected:
PC -> HDMI -> TV
TV -> Optical -> surround system

but wouldnt you just get 2.0 stereo from the tv using the optical?
At the moment, yes. That's why I was hoping to get surround sound by using the unlocked driver here.

My consoles are also connected through hdmi to the TV (which passes the sound through to my 5.1 system using optical) and I do get surround sound. The ps4 for instance is set to 'bitstream dolby' and it works like a charm. Only the PC gives me stereo, and that's what I don't understand.

So let's say MS has it fixed and people can enjoy 5.1 on Windows 10 again. Will it work for me by using hdmi or is this unlocked driver optical-only?

hughjass

Has anyone had any luck under W8.1 getting the ALC892 chipset on a AsRock H97m to work with these hacked drivers?

So far the 'M' method with the .sys file has not worked for me, tried every driver version from R2.71 up to the latest drivers. The 'A' version appears to work as I get the DDL and DTS connect options etc, but no sound at all when activated. Stereo works but not 5.1 under DDL or DTS connect over optical.

At this point I've spent far too many hours trying to get it to work so I'm considering just biting the bullet and getting a DDL/DTS connect compatible card, but if I can get the onboard Realtek to work any help would be massively appreciated!

genuine3000

Has anyone had any luck under W8.1 getting the ALC892 chipset on a AsRock H97m to work with these hacked drivers?

So far the 'M' method with the .sys file has not worked for me, tried every driver version from R2.71 up to the latest drivers. The 'A' version appears to work as I get the DDL and DTS connect options etc, but no sound at all when activated. Stereo works but not 5.1 under DDL or DTS connect over optical.

At this point I've spent far too many hours trying to get it to work so I'm considering just biting the bullet and getting a DDL/DTS connect compatible card, but if I can get the onboard Realtek to work any help would be massively appreciated!

The hacked drivers works fine in windows 8.1 it is just windows 10

System Name Desktop
Processor AMD 5900x
Motherboard MSI Tomahawk x570 WiFi firmware 1.50
Cooling Noctua NHD15
Memory 4x8GB Corsair Dominator LPX 4133 (3733-16-15-15-15 @1.40v)
Video Card(s) ASUS Tuf 3060Ti
Storage C: Intel SSD-900 280GB, D: Samsung EVO-960-1TB
Display(s) 3x monoprice 4k 27" IPS
Case Fractal Design R-6 White
Audio Device(s) HDMI to marantz NR1606
Power Supply Corsait TX-750M
Mouse Logi MX Master
Keyboard Logi K800 + ubikey 2
Software Windows 10
Realtek has released a new WHQL (2.8x 7592) version, and driver station has one version of it identified "with dolby" dunno what that means, but I tried it, and I do not get Dolby Live on my Windows 10 Gbyte z170X-UD5 system (RealTek AC1150) over optical.
When I run the DTS and DD tests, I do get sound from all 5 speakers, and my receiver lights up 5 channel and DTS/DD lights, so something is working.

System Name Desktop
Processor AMD 5900x
Motherboard MSI Tomahawk x570 WiFi firmware 1.50
Cooling Noctua NHD15
Memory 4x8GB Corsair Dominator LPX 4133 (3733-16-15-15-15 @1.40v)
Video Card(s) ASUS Tuf 3060Ti
Storage C: Intel SSD-900 280GB, D: Samsung EVO-960-1TB
Display(s) 3x monoprice 4k 27" IPS
Case Fractal Design R-6 White
Audio Device(s) HDMI to marantz NR1606
Power Supply Corsait TX-750M
Mouse Logi MX Master
Keyboard Logi K800 + ubikey 2
Software Windows 10
So let me understand this currect.
This drivers are already certified with dolby live support, without any mods etc to make it work?
I have it running and I don't see any dolby-related settings in my windows sound panel anymore.
Only worked for me by using the unlocked driver from this thread, but the above mentioned official driver update brang me back to where I had been before.
So I guess no, it doesn't work.

@all
Can anyone please answer my question regarding DD/DTS + HDMI?
Since I'm not familiar with it, I still don't understand why it won't work for me (besides the Windows 10 bug), because I don't get ANY sound at all when I choose the Realtek HD audio interface.
And I'd like to know what I can and can't do with it before buying an expensive discrete sound card.

As said, my PC and my consoles are all connected through HDMI to my TV, and my TV, as the central, passes the sound through to my sound system by using optical.
That works perfectly fine with my PS4 and Xbox360.
The PS4 is set to bitstream dolby if that helps and I get a fully working surround sound. Same goes for my Xbox.
Only my PC does not want to. Why?
Does this unlocked driver only work with TOSLINK or is there a possibility to force it to use HDMI?
By the way, it doesn't make a difference whether I plug the HDMI-cable into the graphics card's or the mainboard's HDMI slot.

It's just that I can't believe that there's no hope in getting 5.1 through HDMI, since HDMI is a quite modern interface and for both audio AND video...
so where's the mistake?

My hardware:

Gigabyte H97M-D3H (with ALC1150 onboard, no optical out though)
Sapphire Radeon R9 290 Tri-X OC (also provides an onboard sound chip if I'm not wrong)
LG 55LB671V TV, which should be able to handle it

If there's any further information needed just let me know.

Sorry for being so annoying, but I really want to know what to do.
Would be glad if someone can help.

FPSUsername

Dolby stuff confuses me a lot since there are no downloads on the official dobly page.
I see these unlocked drivers, Home theater v4, advanced audio v2 and digital plus.

I know that digital plus is the new home theater (so like the v5 of it), and that home theater v4 has more options than advanced audio v2.

What is the difference between digital plus and these unlocked drivers?
Where can I find the latest digital plus drivers?

genuine3000

Is there been an update to make it work for windows 10 the unlocked drivers for my games worked so great on windows 8.1

NO! if it has you can see it in the past post if you read ;) i stay at win 8.1 everything works great Dolby live and DTS 5.1.
I dont like the way win 10 works, i also think that when there is an solution for win 10, the chance that they mess it up with feature updates that goes automatically is big enough, but i hope not. I want to try dx12 win 10 on games but to bad for now.

genuine3000

NO! if it has you can see it in the past post if you read ;) i stay at win 8.1 everything works great Dolby live and DTS 5.1.
I dont like the way win 10 works, i also think that when there is an solution for win 10, the chance that they mess it up with feature updates that goes automatically is big enough, but i hope not. I want to try dx12 win 10 on games but to bad for now.
Yeah i know what you mean
For me windows 10 is just for testing it is just to early a lot of bugs thats why they give it for free so they learn from it
No i was just wondering someone had a solution maybe i've missed something

IJustNeedSomeHelp

I'm still having issues after attempting the alternative method.

In system32 I replaced RtkAPO64.dll with the one provided in the download, I also put in RtkAPO.dll, as was also included?

The options in the Realteck HD Audio Manager have changed, revealing Dolby Digital Virtual Speakers tab, not what I want, and Dolby / DTS tab which I can't choose anything within.

I get a message "DTS Neo: PC only works under quadraphonic, 5.1 or 7.1 speakers mode"

Under the default format tab there is no DTS interactive or Dolby Digital Live images, which are present in the first posted image.

Also note, I'm using an optical cable for the connection, however important that is?

Motherboard: gigabyte z68ap-d3

HD Audio Controller Hardware ID (Realtek Digital Output(Optical) (Realteck HD Audio): MMDEVAPI\AudioEndpoints

HD Audio Codec Hardware ID: ?? unsure where this is?

Last edited:
I'm still having issues after attempting the alternative method.

In system32 I replaced RtkAPO64.dll with the one provided in the download, I also put in RtkAPO.dll, as was also included?

The options in the Realteck HD Audio Manager have changed, revealing Dolby Digital Virtual Speakers tab, not what I want, and Dolby / DTS tab which I can't choose anything within.

I get a message "DTS Neo: PC only works under quadraphonic, 5.1 or 7.1 speakers mode"

Under the default format tab there is no DTS interactive or Dolby Digital Live images, which are present in the first posted image.

Also note, I'm using an optical cable for the connection, however important that is?

Motherboard: gigabyte z68ap-d3

HD Audio Controller Hardware ID (Realtek Digital Output(Optical) (Realteck HD Audio): MMDEVAPI\AudioEndpoints

HD Audio Codec Hardware ID: ?? unsure where this is?

I have gigabyte also, use this method it must work:

1. enable Test Mode On in windows
2. Download R2.78 and replace the .dll in the file with the A1 .dll from the OP. (You'll have to change the .dll filename to include the "L")
3. Install R2.78 > Restart when requested > Complete Installation.
4. Regedit "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Audio". Add "DisableProtectedAudioDG" of DWORD (32bit value), Set Value to 1.
5. Test Mode Off
6. Restart your system.
7. Enjoy DDL without Test Mode, Disabling DSE, or any other hassles.

step 2: i use for myself R.2.73 unpack the setup file from realtek and put the unlocked DLL to the right folder. 32/64bit.

IJustNeedSomeHelp

I have gigabyte also, use this method it must work:

1. enable Test Mode On in windows
2. Download R2.78 and replace the .dll in the file with the A1 .dll from the OP. (You'll have to change the .dll filename to include the "L")
3. Install R2.78 > Restart when requested > Complete Installation.
4. Regedit "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Audio". Add "DisableProtectedAudioDG" of DWORD (32bit value), Set Value to 1.
5. Test Mode Off
6. Restart your system.
7. Enjoy DDL without Test Mode, Disabling DSE, or any other hassles.

step 2: i use for myself R.2.73 unpack the setup file from realtek and put the unlocked DLL to the right folder. 32/64bit.

Just about to do a Win10 update, (If I can get it to work) does this method also apply to Win10?

Henrik M

Hi, I created an account here.

I don't know how far anyone's gotten with Windows 10 yet but here's what I've tried so far;

Downloaded the latest Realtek drivers 2.79. Installed them, booted into safe mode to be able to remove the installed .sys-driver and replacing it with the one OP has. Disabled secure boot, enabled test mode and got the driver to load. Dolby Digital Live is available now and I can see the digital optical output in audio devices. However there's no sound with DDL. I can still get sound via optical using the normal stereo modes but alas no sound from the DDL-setting. Thinking about reverting to Win8 just to get it to work.

Anyone have any tips?

dnNdirty

Man this threads really got mucky.
I had this mod working for a year,took me a while to get it working.
My drive crashed and I could not remember how I did it.
So I went back to the Drawing board...
I have win7 64 bit Ultimate, Gigabyte Board ALC889A chip.

Put the System in test mode, disabled Integrity checks

Regedit "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Audio". Add "DisableProtectedAudioDG" of DWORD (32bit value), Set Value to 1.

(all prior to going back to the start)

Removed realtek drivers from control panel.
Then looked for realtek left overs,removed.
reboot
I took official 2.73 extracted, copied over all of the extra files from Gamespirts 2.73 fixed mod (found on Youtube and signing the sys file with dseo) with out rewriting originals,then copied
the A1 dll from page two.
Installed rebooted.

I have surround now as well as DTS and Dolby Live.
As far as I can tell working as should be.
See the 5 channels and sub onthe receiver.
Some of this may have been redundant but it WORKS!

I tried just coping the dll to Gamespirits mod , installing the straight vs I get all the features but no choice to select Dolby or DTS, with the A1 dll I get the option but it says unsupported.

I some how managed to get Dolby to work last night with the mod but not DTS. not sure on how I did it.
Should of left it....

With every other suggestion on here, I had all the options, but Dolby/DTS only played from supported formats in system sound settings.

Various other combos produced different options and out comes.

Anyone who is any good with this stuff maybe they can fix Gamespirits mod to show and play Dolby and DTS as well as Dolby live.

I would upload my frankenstein but I have a super crappy connection.

Maybe someone can recreate and upload.

Processor Core i7 4790K
Motherboard ASRock Z87 OC Formula
Memory 8 GB Dominator GT 2400
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE GTX 970 G1 GAMING X2 SLI
Storage 128 2xSSD Corsair GS Raid0
Display(s) Samsung S27D590P
Case Cooler Master HAF X
Audio Device(s) Realtek 1150
Power Supply Thermaltake Tough Power 1200
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G19s
Hi, I created an account here.

I don't know how far anyone's gotten with Windows 10 yet but here's what I've tried so far;

Downloaded the latest Realtek drivers 2.79. Installed them, booted into safe mode to be able to remove the installed .sys-driver and replacing it with the one OP has. Disabled secure boot, enabled test mode and got the driver to load. Dolby Digital Live is available now and I can see the digital optical output in audio devices. However there's no sound with DDL. I can still get sound via optical using the normal stereo modes but alas no sound from the DDL-setting. Thinking about reverting to Win8 just to get it to work.

Anyone have any tips?
I have exaclty same problem ! No sound with DDL or DTS . "Failed to play test tone"
Is DDL or DTS work on win 8.1 ? even in game ?
----------------------------------------------------------------
My devices :
ALC1150 and Samsung HT-TX35

Last edited: