• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

What percent of games that you buy do you actually finish?

• 0-20%

Votes: 35 39.3%
  • 21-40%

Votes: 16 18.0%
  • 41-60%

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • 61-80%

Votes: 13 14.6%
  • 81-100%

Votes: 19 21.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Dell 27 inch 1440p 144 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
actually ... i should say none ... since i only play mmo recently ... otherwise i would say 80ish % on solo games

Yeah, you've got a point. You can't finish an MMO. You can play on indefinitely until the servers get shut down. I've learned my lesson with Guild Wars 2. If I want to play an MMO and end up liking it then I'm in for hundreds of hours of play. I put in around 350 hours in GW2 but that's probably very little for someone playing World of Warcraft. That MMO has been going for around 11 years and I have seen some people posting over the years that they started at near the beginning and are still playing sometimes. Massive time and money investment there but it's all about what's fun for the individual. That's what games are for anyway. Fun and entertainment.

System Name Windows 10 64-bit Core i7 6700
Processor Intel Core i7 6700
Motherboard Asus Z170M-PLUS
Cooling Corsair AIO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Kingston DDR4 2666
Video Card(s) Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB, Seagate Baracuda 1 TB
Display(s) Dell P2414H
Case Corsair Carbide Air 540
Audio Device(s) Realtek HD Audio
Power Supply Corsair TX v2 650W
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Keyboard CM Storm Quickfire Pro, Cherry MX Reds
Software MS Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
True for MMOs, they are never ending time sink, I spent countless hours in age of conan and secret world (I like funcom's unconventional mmos) but not anymore ... as far as single player games go, I rarely finish them these days because I like story heavy games and can't play often so I find it increasingly difficult to get back into the story after a longer time of not playing.

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard ASUS X570-PLUS TUF Gaming
Cooling Xigmatek Scylla 240mm AIO
Memory 4x8GB Samsung DDR4 ECC UDIMM
Video Card(s) Inno3D RTX 3070 Ti iChill
Storage ADATA Legend 2TB + ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) Samsung U24E590D (4K/UHD)
Case ghetto CM Cosmos RC-1000
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Power Supply SeaSonic SSR-550FX (80+ GOLD)
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Modecom Volcano Blade (Kailh choc LP)
VR HMD Google dreamview headset(aka fancy cardboard)
Software Windows 11, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
...'bout them MMOs: I'm still upset about Tabula Rasa. Spent almost a year in closed beta, took a break for another year and ... it was gone!

System Name Jaffakeik
Processor I9 12900K
Motherboard MSI Pro B660M-A WIFI DDR4
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II High Performance CPU Water cooler- 240mm
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX Black 32GB (2x16GB) 3600
Video Card(s) 7900XTX gigabyte OC edition
Storage WD Black SN770 1TB SSD M.2 2280 NVME x2
Display(s) TV LG C2
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2 Full Tower Case Tempered
Audio Device(s) Mother board + Sennhiser HD650+ Elgato wave xlr + shure SM7B
Power Supply EVGA 1600w G+
Mouse Glorious Model 0
Keyboard Corsair RBG mini K65 + Steelseries Apex150
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores over 9000
Hard to tell coz when I just started to buy games 7y ago I was finishing em 100% alll I bought, but like last 3y I dont finish all games I buy. Maybe like 50%. Reason for that is games comes out so fast and lots of good games that puts older games on idle, but I finish 100% all physical disc games, coz only digital games are not finished not sure why. But in total I lost my count should be around 500 games finished across different machines in last 24y I play games. So basicly I got finished games more then unfinished so it puts me around 70% i guess.

0% Nobody truly ever finishes everything in a game.

Allow me to be devil's advocate here, I "finished" Bioshock. I "finished" System Shock 2 (before getting it again on Steam, gotta love XP x64). I "finished" Dishonored. The ending cinematic rolled, the credits rolled, and I was either satisfied or angry.

I didn't replay all of Bioshock to get every various possible combination of items. I didn't play through System Shock 2 multiple times, to unlock and utilize all the powers (really, a crytal spear requires how much mastery to stab with?). I didn't play Dishonored three times to see the endings between saint Corvo and Corvo the Ripper. Did I finish those games?

Additionally, there's achievements in Steam. Some people see them as more than e-peen, and a genuine component to "beating" a game. I've gotta say that if you're using that measuring stick then something like Warframe is a middle finger. Half of the achievements (I'm exaggerating, it's actually 11/132) are locked to content that hasn't been released, and at current pace won't be possible to achieve until 2017.

I'll entirely skip on the various flavors of DLC, but I have to ask a few of questions. In Fallout 3, is the ending your death or are you doomed to never complete everything after the DLC allowed you to live? Is the Buried at Sea DLC for Bioshock Infinite a new game, or a component of the game you've already beaten? Is a game like Binding of Isaac beaten after you've done it multiple times, or is it done once you reach the first ending? Can a procedurally generated game (Terria, Minecraft, etc...) ever be beaten?

So, what should the question be, if this one has too many holes? I'd posit that the correct measuring stick is "How many games have you played, which you've gotten a reasonable conclusion to the main arc of the largest plot thread?" This means DLC ending would have to be performed for completion, but it allows for most other DLC to be ignored. It allows for multiple endings, without penalizing you by forcing multiple play throughs. It allows something like Journey to be a game, despite having very little plot. It's only deficiency is in a game like Portal. A game with absolutely no story, because the mechanics are the game, you're stuck with a question. When does Portal end? Is the confrontation with Glados the ending, or is it once the game has run out of new mechanics. You can argue quite a bit about that, but objectively these games are setup with a flag indicating you're done. It isn't subtle, but sometimes mechanical mastery is better than any plot.

To that end, I've gotten reasonable conclusions from about 25% of my games. MMOs not withstanding, I quit games only when they've proven too broken or are broken at my feet. Half my library is composed of pack fodder (buy the Humble bundle 8 and get two great games, 4 mediocre ones, and 6 crap fests you'll never play for one good price), and the remainder I just don't have time to finish. It's kinda lucky that the Steam sales have been so lackluster lately.

System Name main/SFFHTPCARGH!(tm)/Xiaomi Mi TV Stick/Samsung Galaxy S23/Ally
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D/i7-3770/S905X/Snapdragon 8 Gen 2/Ryzen Z1 Extreme
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk/HP SFF Q77 Express/uh?/uh?/Asus
Cooling Enermax ETS-T50 Axe aRGB /basic HP HSF /errr.../oh! liqui..wait, no:sizable vapor chamber/a nice one
Memory 64gb Corsair Vengeance Pro 3600mhz DDR4/8gb DDR3 1600/2gb LPDDR3/8gb LPDDR5x 4200/16gb LPDDR5
Video Card(s) Hellhound Spectral White RX 7900 XTX 24gb/GT 730/Mali 450MP5/Adreno 740/RDNA3 768 core
Storage 250gb870EVO/500gb860EVO/2tbSandisk/NVMe2tb+1tb/4tbextreme V2/1TB Arion/500gb/8gb/256gb/2tb SN770M
Display(s) X58222 32" 2880x1620/32"FHDTV/273E3LHSB 27" 1920x1080/6.67"/AMOLED 2X panel FHD+120hz/FHD 120hz
Case Cougar Panzer Max/Elite 8300 SFF/None/back/back-front Gorilla Glass Victus 2+ UAG Monarch Carbon
Audio Device(s) Logi Z333/SB Audigy RX/HDMI/HDMI/Dolby Atmos/KZ x HBB PR2/Edifier STAX Spirit S3 & SamsungxAKG beans
Power Supply Chieftec Proton BDF-1000C /HP 240w/12v 1.5A/4Smart Voltplug PD 30W/Asus USB-C 65W
Mouse Speedlink Sovos Vertical-Asus ROG Spatha-Logi Ergo M575/Xiaomi XMRM-006/touch/touch
Keyboard Endorfy Thock 75% <3/none/touch/virtual
VR HMD Medion Erazer
Software Win10 64/Win8.1 64/Android TV 8.1/Android 13/Win11 64
Benchmark Scores bench...mark? i do leave mark on bench sometime, to remember which one is the most comfortable. :o
...'bout them MMOs: I'm still upset about Tabula Rasa. Spent almost a year in closed beta, took a break for another year and ... it was gone!
I F*kin KNOW RIGHT! i was so upset about that too ...

also ... some solo game once modded ... are infinite ... Skyrim is one of them for me ... i had almost more hours on it than on Final Fantasy XIV ... but that was before Heavensward :laugh:

quick check: Skyrim 350hrs, FFXIVHW 562hrs

0% Nobody truly ever finishes everything in a game.
I agree with your post (as I already wrote I don't care about those steam completion figures too), but there are purist indeed (I was one of them for a long time) who are playing games until the discovery of all the items, playing with all the cast/characters, playing the game until all the endings are unlocked etc....
A single player game is usually 3-6-12 hours long and beating it to 100% could take many days, but it happens. Ofc there are games where some elements are randomly generated or where the are no conclusions and the main goal is not the ending of the game, but most single player games can be played til "100% completion" indeed (even games like Tetris or Minecraft can be finished).

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
When does Portal end? Is the confrontation with Glados the ending, or is it once the game has run out of new mechanics. You can argue quite a bit about that, but objectively these games are setup with a flag indicating you're done. It isn't subtle, but sometimes mechanical mastery is better than any plot.
Actually, no; there is no argument: the end is when you get dumped back at the updated main menu:

That's kind of uniform across all games. Even a failed state can still be considered completing a specific story arc in a lot of games. True Crime: Streets of L.A. comes to mind. Even if, staring at the game over screen, you decide it's not worth your time to even finish the story arc you were on prior to being put on the game over path, you still chose to accept the finality of the game over path--one can easily consider that completed/ended albeit not a good ending.

So perhaps the better question to ask is "how many games have you started with the intent to finish the main plot?" In other words, how many games are on your todo list?

Last edited:
Actually, no; there is no argument: the end is when you get dumped back at the updated main menu:

That's kind of uniform across all games. Even a failed state can still be considered completing a specific story arc in a lot of games. True Crime: Streets of L.A. comes to mind. Even if, staring at the game over screen, you decide it's not worth your time to even finish the story arc you were on prior to being put on the game over path, you still chose to accept the finality of the game over path--one can easily consider that completed/ended albeit not a good ending.

So perhaps the better question to ask is "how many games have you started with the intent to finish the main plot?" In other words, how many games are on your todo list?

Portal was a game without a story. Allow me to elaborate.

Who is the protagonist?
Who is the antagonist?
What is the story?
Define exactly when and where the plot matters to understanding anything about what is going on in the game.

To the first question, there is no protagonist. You could argue that the player character is one, but that isn't true. You could well be a homicidal maniac escaping a prison. No character means no protagonist.
To the second you might reply Glados. Tell me, why? The real challenge of the games is utilizing mechanics, not overcoming an obstacle. No obstacles mean no antagonist.
To the third, I'd say that the hidden messages paint a clear story. Of course, that's wrong. You put together a story from what is written. It could be interpreted as people escaping a lab, but it could also be the patients of a mental ward declaring that the staff is trying to kill them. There's ambiguous plot, and simple little snippets without anything to support any real conclusions. Portal has enough to spark imagination, but really lacks real plot.
Plot doesn't influence the game, as we've established. Therefore challenge is mechanical. If mechanical challenge is this game in a nut shell, then it is complete the second you've mastered all the basics or it will never be complete because user content makes it functionally infinite.

If Portal is somehow a sacred cow, let's look around a little bit. 'Splosion Man comes to mind, and it highlights the issue particularly well. There's no real story, just a collection of mechanics and challenges. The reason it highlights the issue is that it runs out of new mechanics and interesting puzzles well in advance of its play time. You get to the point where you're solving the same puzzles over and over again, and that isn't playing a game. What that amounts to is artificially stretching a game longer, without making it meaningful. You could stop playing 'Splosion Man several levels before the end, but still accurately state you've completed all the unique challenges the game has to offer. A few minutes on youtube, and the ending cinematic is viewed. Everything that game has to offer is consumed, without grinding out those last few frustrating levels. Have you finished the game?

Portal avoids this by being short, functionally half tutorial, and enough content to pique people into imagining their own game story.
Super Meat Boy does this by making failure have a minimum impact, having consistent mechanics throughout the entire game, and having levels in such tiny bites that even frustrating ones can be completed in minutes.
Tetris is a mechanical challenge game, without any ending or story.

Just because there is a default fail or win state doesn't mean that is the end. Good mechanical challenge games can have no defined end, but easily provide a point at which the player ends a game. Heck, rogue-like games are built on the principle of the end to a game not being an end. Do you contend that a player who boots Rogue Legacy once, walks into the first room, and dies should call that the end to a game. It is most definitively the end to that character? Why then is there a respawn system that spits out another character? How is that character anything but the start of a new game? Do you propose that a player with 15 lives utilized and on new game + has gotten the same value as someone who died once before putting the game away?

On a personal note, I argue that Portal was excellently paced, such that challenge peaked when the final boss battle occurred. If another developer has made the game, and added 5 more puzzle rooms, it would have been a game finished prior to the closing credits.

All of them eventually, as time goes i get less free time, i`m at about two hours a day on workdays now.
The ones that i dont finish are those "demo" versions from torrent sites. But when you earn less than 400 euros a month, you learn to buy only the good stuff.

Heck, rogue-like games are built on the principle of the end to a game not being an end. Do you contend that a player who boots Rogue Legacy once, walks into the first room, and dies should call that the end to a game. It is most definitively the end to that character? Why then is there a respawn system that spits out another character? How is that character anything but the start of a new game? Do you propose that a player with 15 lives utilized and on new game + has gotten the same value as someone who died once before putting the game away?
But I finished Rogue Legacy:)
rlacmnts.jpg

System Name Windows 10 64-bit Core i7 6700
Processor Intel Core i7 6700
Motherboard Asus Z170M-PLUS
Cooling Corsair AIO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Kingston DDR4 2666
Video Card(s) Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB, Seagate Baracuda 1 TB
Display(s) Dell P2414H
Case Corsair Carbide Air 540
Audio Device(s) Realtek HD Audio
Power Supply Corsair TX v2 650W
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Keyboard CM Storm Quickfire Pro, Cherry MX Reds
Software MS Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Actually, no; there is no argument: the end is when you get dumped back at the updated main menu
Let's exclude games for which there is no argument then. Games in question are the games that have end credits and all but they don't throw you back to main menu.
Did I finish GTA 5 if I've seen the end credits but the completion is at 84%?
In this case I say yes because it's easier for me to leave it at 84% that way :D

System Name Mass Effect/Lost Ark
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5600X/AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X470-F Gaming/Asus ROG Strix B450-F Gaming II
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S/AMD Wraith Max
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200/Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) MSI AMD Radeon RX 6750 XT Mech 2x/MSI AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT Mech OC
Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500GB 2.5" SSDs x2, WD Black 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM, Samsung 970 EVO 500GB 1TB NVME M.2
Display(s) Acer XF270H 1920x1080p @ 144Hz
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG ATX Mid Tower/CoolerMaster MasterCase Pro 5
Audio Device(s) SteelSeries Actis Nova 3 RGB
Power Supply Cooler Master V850 80+ Gold/Corsair CX650M 80+ Bronze
Mouse Thermaltake Level 10 M/Logitech G502
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 Wired Gaming Edition/Steelseries Apex 3 RGB
Software Windows 10 Pro OEM 64bit/Ubuntu 22.04.1 64bit
I fall in the 41-60% range. Mostly play MMO's(GW2, Warframe, Skyforge) and ARPG's(Marvel Heroes, Path of Exiles). Though Open World games(GTA V, The Witcher 3, and Batman Arkham Knight) as of late have been consuming quite a bit of my time as well. The upcoming Mad Max game looking interesting as well. Definitely intend on playing it in the near future.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
To the first question, there is no protagonist. You could argue that the player character is one, but that isn't true. You could well be a homicidal maniac escaping a prison. No character means no protagonist.
Irrelevent. The player is almost always the protagonist in every game. The only game that comes to mind that the player isn't is Lucius.

To the second you might reply Glados. Tell me, why? The real challenge of the games is utilizing mechanics, not overcoming an obstacle. No obstacles mean no antagonist.
And why are those mechanics the "challenge" from the story's perspective? Because Glados is testing you. She's a robot and her only purpose is to test, test, and test some more.

To the third, I'd say that the hidden messages paint a clear story. Of course, that's wrong. You put together a story from what is written. It could be interpreted as people escaping a lab, but it could also be the patients of a mental ward declaring that the staff is trying to kill them. There's ambiguous plot, and simple little snippets without anything to support any real conclusions. Portal has enough to spark imagination, but really lacks real plot.
Plot doesn't influence the game, as we've established. Therefore challenge is mechanical. If mechanical challenge is this game in a nut shell, then it is complete the second you've mastered all the basics or it will never be complete because user content makes it functionally infinite.
Again, irrelevant. You're basically saying the game is on rails and it is. That doesn't mean it doesn't have a plot. It means you can't deviate from the plot without breaking the game. You keep going back to this idea that maybe Glados is the protagonist and Chell is the antagonist. Even if that were the case, it doesn't matter. The confrontation will happen and it will play out the same way every time. With every game, there are challenges that hinder your progress in the plot. Portal's may be physics puzzles where Crysis is aliens and dudes with guns. Delete both from their respective games and there is still a plot but a very easy one to finish.

Actually, let me go back to the confrontation in portal. There is actually two ways to finish that part:
1) defeat Glados
2) get poisoned by Glados
In the latter, Glados clearly isn't the protagonist.

Let's exclude games for which there is no argument then. Games in question are the games that have end credits and all but they don't throw you back to main menu.
Those are really old games that require rebooting the console to get back to the menu.

Last edited:

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
Few games have as much story as Portal. "Story" is a limitless term.m

I try and complete the big releases i buy, working my way through Witcher 3 and nearly done (messed up a 50odd hour save when moving storage drives so had to start again). I'm actually not that bad i just end up with back catalogs because all the games i want to play that are marathons to complete. If i like a game i make a point of completing it through before moving to another. Something sandbox like Cities Skylines i would play for a bit while working my way through something else tho.

EDIT: my problem is i end up with a lot of games i would like to play but never get around too. It's not really lack of time either, it's more the big games i play take forever to complete.

Processor Intel i9-9900k @ 5GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Wifi
Cooling ThermalTake Riing 240
Memory 2x8GB G-Skill 3600 CL19 @ 16-19-19-20
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX 2060 Amp!
Storage 2x Samsung 860 Evo 512GB, 4x Seagate 8TB
Display(s) 2x Dell U2713H
Case CoolerMaster M500P
Power Supply ThermalTake Toughpower 730W
Software Windows 10 Pro
Before Steam sales came about? 100%
Nowadays I don't even want to look lol

Processor AMD Ryzen 5 2600
Motherboard MSI B450 Gaming Plus
Memory GSkill 8GB Dual Channel DDR4-2800
Video Card(s) MSI GamingX RX580 4GB
Storage Kingston V300 240GB SSD + WD Green 2TB
Display(s) ACER K212HL 27" + Haier 55" + Lenovo Explorer Mixed Reality Headset
Case Enermax Ostrog (Red)
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA B2 750W
Software Win10 64bit
This is not a scientific poll people. To me finishing a game is finishing the story.

Either way you can see the gaming industry makes a lot of money from unused games. What other industry can say that 40% of their sales comes from people who won't even use the product.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Mouse Logitech G602
Software Windows 10 Pro
This is not a scientific poll people. To me finishing a game is finishing the story.

Either way you can see the gaming industry makes a lot of money from unused games. What other industry can say that 40% of their sales comes from people who won't even use the product.

Then I've finished many games i haven't even played. Mario wins, the end. :laugh:

Irrelevent. The player is almost always the protagonist in every game. The only game that comes to mind that the player isn't is Lucius.

And why are those mechanics the "challenge" from the story's perspective? Because Glados is testing you. She's a robot and her only purpose is to test, test, and test some more.

Again, irrelevant. You're basically saying the game is on rails and it is. That doesn't mean it doesn't have a plot. It means you can't deviate from the plot without breaking the game. You keep going back to this idea that maybe Glados is the protagonist and Chell is the antagonist. Even if that were the case, it doesn't matter. The confrontation will happen and it will play out the same way every time. With every game, there are challenges that hinder your progress in the plot. Portal's may be physics puzzles where Crysis is aliens and dudes with guns. Delete both from their respective games and there is still a plot but a very easy one to finish.

Actually, let me go back to the confrontation in portal. There is actually two ways to finish that part:
1) defeat Glados
2) get poisoned by Glados
In the latter, Glados clearly isn't the protagonist.

Those are really old games that require rebooting the console to get back to the menu.

You seem to be unswayed by my argument, so continuing with it is irrelevant. Allow me one last attempt though, before I stop trying to argue.

If Glados is extracted from the game, and the final room is changed from a boss battle to a massively difficult puzzle what is lost? You still know the goal is to escape the facility, because you've been on that rail the entire time. You still think something is trying to kill you, because of all the messages scrawled in blood. You still have a "win" state, by completing the mechanical challenges presented to you. Glados is a way to personify the challenges, and frame the construction of the facility as deliberate. Its exclusion would hurt the player's immersion into the situation, but that's Valve making a great game and not just a competent physics puzzle.

Remove the aliens and what do you have in Crysis; nothing. The aliens showing up, because we found their dormant ships, is the plot. Every other soldier in the game is there because of the aliens. If you wanted to remove the aliens, you remove the plot and all enemies. It would now be Dear Esther, not Crysis. If you just wanted a modern day shooter, claim the island is sitting atop a large oil reserve, and the enemies (sans aliens) make sense. Shooters like this require some plot, or at least framing device. Portal doesn't. The second you surround a person with walls, offer them a tool, and let them go they'll try to find a way out of those walls. This is why mental institutions have guards, jails have jailers, and so forth. People don't do confinement voluntarily, and that's an instinctual drive rather than story.

I would propose that Portal has so little plot that we perform an exercise. In the first situation, Glados is a murder bot. You are a protagonist, and must escape the facility to survive. There's a clear antagonist, this conclusion is supported by the messages scrawled in blood, and the final level proves out the theory that Glados is murderous. Simple plot, but reasonable given the data. Now turn it upside down. You're a resident of a psychiatric ward. The entire game is your delusion, as you use a modified fork to jimmy open lock after lock, as alarms blare overhead. Those messages from other inmates are what they spout as you walk by their cells. More delusions from the psychotically unbalanced. "Glados" is in fact the facility manager, telling everyone to find you and not hurt you over the intercom. Despite this, you've already stabbed another patient, what you saw as that very first friend cube. The final confrontation sees you facing off against a nurse with a shot of sedative. Being "gassed" is losing consciousness, and returned to the padded cell you've called home ever since you snapped. Beating the boss is in fact escaping the facility, where you're free to go out and murder the people who put you there. In case one, you're the protagonist. In case 2, you're the antagonist. Both stories are easily viable given that the game has very little plot. If both are logical, then what is the truth? The truth is that the plot was a lazy injection of visuals that framed a competent game of mechanical challenge. Portal is not a story game, it's a mechanical puzzler elevated from obscurity by being tight, well paced, and with enough story elements injected for you to make your own assumptions.

What if Portal was 10 rooms shorter? You don't lose anything relevant to the story. Ten less rooms means less time playing the game, but Valve theoretically could have released the game for less cost and still had it be just as awesome.

Now, assuming you're the protagonist or antagonist is crap. You've cited one game in which you're the antagonist, but that's myopic. Any Star Wars game in which you play the Imperials means you're the antagonist, based upon the Star Wars universe lore. Dungeon Keeper seats you in the role of antagonist. Overlord decided to dress you up somewhere between a demon and the black knight. There's a relatively rich history of you being the antagonist intentionally in the past decade. I'll even bang the drum one more time for this game, Spec. Ops: The Line sure as heck didn't have a gun toting American as a protagonist in any sense of the word. Without a clear protagonist you're doing things because the mechanics require it. Without some clear antagonist the actions serve no purpose. That's the underpinning of a plot driven game.

Now, Portal can't really be plot driven, but that doesn't mean it can't have plot or that it fails as a game. Most side scrolling shooter, bullet hells, and the like have no story. Kill everything on screen, don't get hit, done. Master the mechanics, and success will follow. That is an accurate description of Portal. Master the gun, do the puzzles, good to go. Once the challenges are mastered the game is done. Argue all that you want, but be real. You could play user generated puzzles all day, and night to "complete" Portal, but you stopped playing because the mechanical challenges had been well explored by the game. It isn't a credit scroll that finished the game, it was completing the mechanical challenges. Valve just demonstrated how awesome they are by making both end at the same time. Lesser games fail because they can't do that.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
If Glados is extracted from the game, and the final room is changed from a boss battle to a massively difficult puzzle what is lost?
The plot. Even so, puzzle games that completely lack a plot (e.g. Great Permutator) can still be "finished" by completing all of the puzzles.

It would now be Dear Esther, not Crysis.
Indeed. I consider Dear Esther a crappy game where Crysis is a great game. Even so, they are both completable by the same metric: followed the gameplay rail to the credits.

Without some clear antagonist the actions serve no purpose.
I have to disagree. In Spec Ops: The Line, I got the sense that the antagonist is the next meatbag shooting at you. I think that's the case with most shooters. This is why your average shooter like Call of Duty and Battlefield are quite forgettable. Still, look how many people play the multiplayer in those games...just to shoot virtual meatbags with virtual guns.

I deviated there so back to Specs Ops: The Line. Its plot is so disjointed and confusing that gameplay (what you call "mechanics") drove me to the finish, not the plot. I'd argue the same thing about Bioshock Infinite.

I think your whole "master the mechanics" thing doesn't apply to the aforementioned games because there is a finish on them all. It does apply to a game like Minecraft before adding the Ender Dragon where there really was no end point. Players will eventually get bored of the game and when they decide they had enough, they'd consider it finished. Post Ender Dragon, I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of players stopped playing after they killed it and the credits scrolled. Of course you can keep playing but, why? Those that do keep playing are likely doing it for either the mechanics or the challenge. In both cases, the game is effectively over and the player himself/herself is deciding when to consider it finished for himself/herself.

Last edited:

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Mouse Logitech G602
Software Windows 10 Pro
@lilhasselhoffer I have no idea about how you define a "plot" or "story", but all of the things you say about Portal is part of the story, or narrative if you will. As I said earlier, "story" is an essentially limitless term. I know your ability to analyzing everything, and all that does in this case is tell us how you see the story. That is the amazing thing about them, some of them tell us more about ourselves than they tell us about the story itself. That is part of the reason why Portal is such a well written game (which also means it has a story, at least according to how I think of the term).

If there is no character you create one, that is the beauty (well one of them anyway) of story telling. If I describe a character as "the red-headed giant from Prudhoe Bay" and make a story about him/her featuring no character descriptions at all everyone will think of him/her differently.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
When I play games, I like to try to "finish" as much of them as possible. So while I don't play many games, I play them a lot. I usually spend a lot of time trying to find games that I will want to play so very few of them end up being bad enough for me not to play them through. Also "finish" is a tough term. Do you mean "finish" as in reach the end of the story or "finish" in terms of doing very side quest and completely finishing the game? I don't think that there are many people who fully "complete" games.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Motherboard ASRock Taichi X570
Cooling Water
Memory 32GB GSkill CL16 3600mhz
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Storage 2 x AData XPG 8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
Case Thermaltake Tower 900
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum
I consider finishing the game as finishing the main story line. And as long as the game isn't boring as crap I finish them and move on. I am still playing TW3, only 46 ?'s left on Skellige...

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
I consider finishing the game as finishing the main story line. And as long as the game isn't boring as crap I finish them and move on. I am still playing TW3, only 46 ?'s left on Skellige...

Lol! Thats at LEAST 25-30 more hours just in the isles. And that's assuming you don't talk to anyone or read anything...which will add more. Such a good, huge content game!!