• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Unveils World's First Hardware-Based Virtualized GPU Solution at VMworld

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
AMD today at VMworld 2015 demonstrated the world's first hardware-based GPU virtualization solution, the AMD Multiuser GPU. This new solution from AMD enables a virtualized workstation-class experience with full ISV certifications and local desktop-like performance. With the AMD Multiuser GPU, IT pros can easily configure these solutions to allow up to 15 users on a single AMD GPU. Demonstrations of AMD virtualization solutions can be found at VMworld 2015 booth 447.

"The AMD graphics cards are uniquely equipped with AMD Multiuser GPU technology embedded into the GPU delivering consistent and predictable performance," said Sean Burke, AMD corporate vice president and general manager, Professional Graphics. "When these AMD GPUs are appropriately configured to the needs of an organization, end users get the same access to the GPU no matter their workload. Each user is provided with the virtualized performance to design, create and execute their workflows without any one user tying up the entire GPU."

Built around industry standard SR-IOV (Single Root I/O Virtualization) technology, the AMD Multiuser GPU continues AMD's embracement of non-proprietary open standards. SR-IOV is a specification developed by the PCI SIG, and provides a standardized way for devices to expose hardware virtualization. The AMD Multiuser GPU is designed to preserve and support graphics- and compute-accelerated features for design and manufacturing or media and entertainment applications. The AMD Multiuser GPU addresses limitations of current virtualized GPU solutions that may not provide predictable performance for CAD/CAE, Media and Entertainment, and general enterprise GPU needs.

Created for GPU-accelerated workflows such as GPU compute and OpenCL, the AMD Multiuser GPU is designed to overcome the limitations of software-based virtualization such as reduced end-user performance. Users have access to native AMD display drivers for OpenGL, DirectX and OpenCL acceleration, enabling work without restrictions.

Additional AMD Multiuser GPU features include:
  • Compute capabilities based on OpenCL supported by industry leading GPU virtualization
  • Full feature set support including DirectX 12 and OpenGL 4.4
  • OpenCL 2.0 acceleration support
  • Stable, predictable performance
  • User-owned share of local memory providing additional security
  • 15 maximum users per physical GPU
AMD Multiuser GPU is designed to work on environments using VMware vSphere/ESXi 5.5 and up, with support for remote protocols such as Horizon View.
AMD strives to provide world-class professional graphics hardware for companies desiring to implement virtualized environments. To help IT managers with the installation process and ongoing support, there are no additional per-seat software costs from AMD beyond the purchase of the AMD Multiuser GPU.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

So, if I understand this right, it allows multiple users share graphic workload on a single GPU (or a cluster of them)?

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
Every Time nVidia make something new (Really New) AMD start digging in the open standards (New and Old) and try to rebrand these standards just to take small share of nVidia's success. then they tell the world don't use what nVidia offer take ours because we are the open standard. Some times they give what they do for free like the FirePro w10000 in servers hopping some big fish will take the bate and leave Tesla. Let us see!

System Name Cyberline
Processor Intel Core i7 2600k -> 12600k
Motherboard Asus P8P67 LE Rev 3.0 -> Gigabyte Z690 Auros Elite DDR4
Cooling Tuniq Tower 120 -> Custom Watercoolingloop
Memory Corsair (4x2) 8gb 1600mhz -> Crucial (8x2) 16gb 3600mhz
Video Card(s) AMD RX480 -> RX7800XT
Storage Samsung 750 Evo 250gb SSD + WD 1tb x 2 + WD 2tb -> 2tb MVMe SSD
Display(s) Philips 32inch LPF5605H (television) -> Dell S3220DGF
Case antec 600 -> Thermaltake Tenor HTCP case
Audio Device(s) Focusrite 2i4 (USB)
Power Supply Seasonic 620watt 80+ Platinum
Mouse Elecom EX-G
Keyboard Rapoo V700
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
Every Time nVidia make something new (Really New) AMD start digging in the open standards (New and Old) and try to rebrand these standards just to take small share of nVidia's success. then they tell the world don't use what nVidia offer take ours because we are the open standard. Some times they give what they do for free like the FirePro w10000 in servers hopping some big fish will take the bate and leave Tesla. Let us see!

what "really new" things would those be?

System Name Red Radiance l under construction
Processor 5800x
Motherboard x470 taichi
Cooling stock wrath
Memory TridentZ Neo rgb 3600mhz (2x8 kit)
Video Card(s) Sapphire Vega 64 nitro+
Storage 970 evo nvme
Display(s) lc27g75tq
Case tt core x5 tge
Audio Device(s) sennheiser's pc323d usb soundcard
Power Supply corsair AX860i
Mouse roccat burst pro
Keyboard roccat ryos mk fx
Software windows 10
nvidia pr from 30.08.2015. amd pr from 01.09.2015
those amd guys has to dig with light speed to come up in 2 thays with their solution.
most likely job is done by VMware with amd and nv parthering with them for hardware compability.
rest is just nv marketing rushing pr on sunday so they can be first on news train

Sorry I was talking about GRID 1 GRID 2 is an update. So we are talking about one generation not one day.

nVi
what "really new" things would those be?
NVIDIA holds 70% of graphics IPs so there should be some new. Or maybe they are rebranding just like free sync.

Last edited by a moderator:
Processor Intel i5-6600
Motherboard ASRock H170M-ITX
Cooling Cooler Master Geminii S524
Memory G.Skill DDR4-2133 16GB (8GB x 2)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte R9-380X 4GB
Storage Samsung 950 EVO 250GB (mSATA)
Display(s) LG 29UM69G-B 2560x1080 IPS
Case Lian Li PC-Q25
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC892
Power Supply Seasonic SS-460FL2
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech G110
Software Windows 10 Pro
AMD is touting their "hardware" solution as more secure and a better experience because of how they implement vGPU. That each user gets a dedicated fraction of the resources and all features are exposed (OpenGL, OpenCL, etc) as if you had a local GPU. Many of the comparisons were done against GRID 1 so we'll have to wait for future reviews to see how AMD Multiuser GPU stacks up against GRID 2.

AMD is touting their "hardware" solution as more secure and a better experience because of how they implement vGPU. That each user gets a dedicated fraction of the resources and all features are exposed (OpenGL, OpenCL, etc) as if you had a local GPU. Many of the comparisons were done against GRID 1 so we'll have to wait for future reviews to see how AMD Multiuser GPU stacks up against GRID 2.
nVidia GRID has been built around Kepler GPUs more than two years ago and it was first dedicated unit for vGPU so it's good to know that AMD is less than three years behind nVidia . That keep some hope that AMD can keep fight for another day, Hopefully days, months or even years.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs, 24TB Enterprise drives
Display(s) 55" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
nVidia GRID has been built around Kepler GPUs more than two years ago and it was first dedicated unit for vGPU so it's good to know that AMD is less than three years behind nVidia . That keep some hope that AMD can keep fight for another day, Hopefully days, months or even years.

I think the difference here is the number of users, the use of hardware to do the work instead of an abstraction layer running on the CPU, complete access to the GPU resources instead of merely allocating it at the driver level, and the complete access to GPU (DX, GPGPU, OPENcl, etc...) instead of just a few walled garden interfaces.

I think the difference here is the number of users, the use of hardware to do the work instead of an abstraction layer running on the CPU, complete access to the GPU resources instead of merely allocating it at the driver level, and the complete access to GPU (DX, GPGPU, OPENcl, etc...) instead of just a few walled garden interfaces.
nVidia call their shaders (CUDA Cores), Why? Because their GPU is two layers (hardware and software) so their driver is a software layer not an interface like AMD drivers.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs, 24TB Enterprise drives
Display(s) 55" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
nVidia call their shaders (CUDA Cores), Why? Because their GPU is two layers (hardware and software) so their driver is a software layer not an interface like AMD drivers.

Dafuq did I just read?

No GPU is two layers, its hardware with microcode, and either a direct hardware programmable interface that exposes hardware state and allows software to directly access the hardware. OR its hardware with microcode, and a software driver that acts as interface between the hardware and the software attempting to access it.

Nvidia and AMD hardware is very similar at this point.

after yesterdays events, nbadia had to recruit some more people to shill on the public forums so they can damage control for them.

how is that working out for you @Musaab? won't they ask you why havent you used an older account to shill so you don't stand out so much like that (instead of going at it with a fresh account)? will they still pay you after this rookie mistake? btw how much are they paying you to "promote" their stuff?

It's pity to hear some thing like that from kids. By any way if you are a man worked in the middle east in construction and manufacturing there is a chance you worked for me once. No need for your money but if it's of any use go buy yourself some manners if there is still some in the market. If you don't have money I'll talk to NVIDIA to give you some they sure have alot.
By the way I have born with this name. No need to hide in the bushes like you.
This will be my last comment in this article so be free to write what ever you want.

Last edited:

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
Good grief this is turning into Ars Technica.

System Name Boomer Master Race
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7735HS APU
Motherboard BareBones Mini PC MB
Cooling Mini PC Cooling
Memory Crucial 32GB 4800MHz
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 680M 8GB IGPU
Storage Crucial 500GB M.2 SSD + 2TB Ext HDD
Display(s) Sony 4K Bravia X85J 43Inch TV 120Hz
Case Beelink Mini PC Chassis
Audio Device(s) Built In Realtek Digital Audio HD
Power Supply 120w Power Brick
Mouse Logitech G203 Lightsync
Keyboard Atrix RGB Slim Keyboard
VR HMD ( ◔ ʖ̯ ◔ )
Software Windows 10 Home 64bit
Benchmark Scores Don't do them anymore.
after yesterdays events, nbadia had to recruit some more people to shill on the public forums so they can damage control for them.

how is that working out for you @Musaab? won't they ask you why havent you used an older account to shill so you don't stand out so much like that (instead of going at it with a fresh account)? will they still pay you after this rookie mistake? btw how much are they paying you to "promote" their stuff?

It's pity to hear some thing like that from kids. By any way if you are a man worked in the middle east in construction and manufacturing there is a chance you worked for me once. No need for your money but if it's of any use go buy yourself some manners if there is still some in the market. If you don't have money I'll talk to NVIDIA to give you some they sure have alot.
By the way I have born with this name. No need to hide in the bushes like you.
This will be my last comment in this article so be free to write what ever you want.

System Name Desktop|| Virtual Host 0
Processor Intel Core i5 2500-K @ 4.3ghz || 2x Xeon L5630 (total 8 cores, 16 threads)
Motherboard ASUS P8Z68-V || Dell PowerEdge R710 (Intel 5520 chipset)
Cooling Corsair Hydro H100 || Stock hotplug fans and passive heatsinks
Memory 4x4gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 || 12x4gb Hynix DDR3 1066 FB-DIMMs
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 760 Gaming Twin Frozr 4GB OC || Don't know, don't care
Storage Hitachi 7K3000 2TB || 6x300gb 15k rpm SAS internal hotswap, 12x3tb Seagate NAS drives in enclosure
Display(s) ViewSonic VA2349S || remote iDRAC KVM console
Case Antec P280 || Dell PowerEdge R710
Audio Device(s) HRT MusicStreamer II+ and Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 || Don't know, don't care
Power Supply SeaSonic X650 Gold || 2x870w hot-swappable
Mouse Logitech G500 || remote iDRAC KVM console
Keyboard Logitech G510 || remote iDRAC KVM console
Software Win7 Ultimate x64 || VMware vSphere 6.0 with vCenter Server 6.0
Benchmark Scores Over 9000 on the scouter
I can't wait for the day when this sort of stuff can be found off-lease on eBay for cheap. I'd so love to put something like this in my vSphere server and then I could replace almost all of my machines with thin-clients. The only thing I think I might still want a dedicated machine for is a digital audio workstation (not that I have time to make music these days).