• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

HyperSLI (Enabling SLI on non-sli motherboards)

System Name Cooler Master Elite (case name)
Processor Amd 1090T X6 3.2Ghz
Motherboard Asus m4a89gtd pro/usb3
Cooling oversize fans
Memory 16 gigs ddr3 2000Mhz
Video Card(s) 2 - nvidia gtx 560's sli 2 gigs each video memory
Storage 6 - terabytes sata
Display(s) samsung syncmaster 2330 hd monitor
Case coolermaster elite
Audio Device(s) realtek on-board
Power Supply coolermaster 1000 watts
Software windows 7 64- bit enterprise
Benchmark Scores not available at this time.
The last time I got a bluescreen trying to enable sli mode on my system was when I was using nvidias' official drivers, make sure you don't have the patched driver mixed up with the official driver.

Here's the download link for 355.80 windows 10 64 bit hotfix video driver:

http://www.gamefront.com/files/25196297/nvlddmkm2-35580-win10-64-bit-hotfix.rar

This fixes the following issue:

Excessive virtual memory consumption for SLI configurations running Windows 10

There are no hotfix drivers for windows 7, 8, or 8.1 for this issue.

Official download link:

https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3738

Last edited by a moderator:

MightyRufo

Cooling oversize fans
Case coolermaster elite
Sorry, I forgot to include the actual download link for the official driver:

https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3738

I'm just being stupid again.

Please note that I might not provide download links for all hotfix drivers (unless requested), only those I think will fix a important issue, some hotfix drivers seem to be only for minor things.

MightyRufo

Please note that I might not provide download links for all hotfix drivers (unless requested), only those I think will fix a important issue, some hotfix drivers seem to be only for minor things.

As long as you support major driver updates, I'm totally okay with that. But this hotfix is important considering what we're doing here XD I wouldn't mind learning myself just how you mod the drivers. And thanks for the download link!

Cooling oversize fans
Case coolermaster elite
No problem! Don't forget to thank ember too!

TheGuyWhoAsk

Please can someone re-upload HyperSLi as the website listed at the start of this thread is offline -AND- listed as an attack/harmful site by all major web browser software.
I need it vitally due to my motherboard being newer than recent drivers and therefore crossfire and SLi support seems to be absent.

Cooling oversize fans
Case coolermaster elite
To TheGuyWhoAsk

HyperSli is no longer supported, the latest drivers it supports is 335.23 which are very old now. See new instructions below:

Read through all my instructions first before starting!

*****If you have hypersli installed, run the hypersli installer and uninstall it and reboot your computer before proceeding!******

Hypersli doesn't support current nvidia drivers! That's why it doesn't work anymore...

1. Go to http://www.geforce.com/drivers, select your operating system and video board in the list, download the driver installer. If you already have 355.60 drivers installed, ignore
this step.

2. Download my patched drivers here:

Here's the download links for the patched 355.60 64 bit win7 & win10 patched drivers:

This driver is for windows 7, 8, & 8.1 64-bit

http://www.gamefront.com/files/25172827/nvlddmkm35560-win7-64bit.rar

alternate download link:

http://turbobit.net/cqxuq297zdr2.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.gamefront.com/files/25172828/nvlddmkm35560-win10-64bit.rar

alternate download link:

http://turbobit.net/fz4qa7p57aeh.html

For now at least, I'm going to provide only 1 set of alternate download links, this seems to be
good enough, I checked a few multi-host upload sites, but they have restrictions on
copyrighted material (among other things), and this driver might be considered as such,
if a link goes bad or something, just tell me here and I can re-upload to the same site.

3. Go to https://github.com/EmberVulpix/DifferentSLIAuto/releases and download the 1.3 release file.

4. Unpack differentsli into a folder of your choice.

5. Unpack my patched nvlddmkm355.60.rar file into the same folder where you put differentsli.

6. Install nvidia's official drivers (355.60).

7. Go back to where differentsli is installed, you might need to pause your anti-virus program too.

8. Open a command prompt (administrator version) and run the Install.cmd, it should say it was successful, if it says there was a problem, don't continue, post here as to what the error was. Unpause your anti-virus program.

9. Reboot your computer, once it's back up, go to your nvidia control panel and activate sli mode.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

These instructions are for windows 10 64-bit

These instructions were posted by MightyRufo.

Here's specific instructions on how to install the windows 10 driver:

I've figured it out! But unfortunately, it leaves us with a painful solution. I've done all the steps, driver installed and SLI is working (YES!!).. However, in order to get it to work. Windows Driver Signature Enforcement must be disabled, as we already knew. Problem is, in order to actually boot with DSE off.. You must access the startup options of Windows 10 to boot into the advanced startup menu and then choose 7 to boot with Driver Signature Enforcement off... Every time you boot.. I've also went ahead and tried to disabled this permanently, through cmd with some commands.. Apparently doing such has been removed or disabled in Windows 10. It cannot be turned off permanently. I'm not sure if this is a Windows 10 thing but I did read somewhere that, that is the case.

So, the process is as follows for us Windows 10 users.
1. Install drivers from Nividia
2. Check for Windows Updates. Let Windows download 353.62 display driver form Nvidia
3. Restart your computer (Usually windows will prompt you to restart upon installing this driver)
4. Download DifferentSLIAuto (1.3.1 as of today) and then extract it wherever: https://github.com/EmberVulpix/DifferentSLIAuto/releases
5. Download Jbailey8's 355.60 patched Nvidia driver: http://www.gamefront.com/files/25142902/nvlddmkm35362-win10.rar
6. Put the patched Nvidia driver into your DifferentSLIAuto folder.
7. Locate the Install.cmd file, then right click it and run it as administrator
Once it's finished, it should look like this: http://i.imgur.com/u5KDvSC.png
However, sometimes it's not able to copy the driver into your system, resulting in this: http://i.imgur.com/2D5l09x.png (0 files copied)
If it did not copy the driver over, move to the next step. If it did, move to step 10
8. Navigate to C:\Windows\System32\drivers and locate the file named nvlddmkm.sys
9. Rename this file, doesn't mater what you rename it. But keep in mind, you can use it as a backup. I renamed mine nvlddmkmBACKUP.sys
9. Copy the nvlddmkm.sys patched driver in your DifferentSLIAuto folder to the same folder where you renamed nvlddmkm.sys
10. This part is a little tricky. Click Restart while holding shift until you see "Please Wait". You'll get an advanced menu.
a. Click on Troubleshoot
b. Advanced Options
c. Startup Settings
d. Then click Restart
This guide may help and the process is the same for Windows 10: http://www.howtogeek.com/126016/three-ways-to-access-the-windows-8-boot-options-menu/
11. When shown the advanced startup menu, press number 7 on your keyboard. (NOT F7, which doesn't seem to work for me)
12. Windows will start with Driver Signature Enforcement disabled. (You must repeat step 10, every time you boot windows, otherwise windows will NOT load the patched driver. Even with Test Mode on)
13. Right click on your desktop and click on NIVIDIA Control Panel, then check to see if you can enable SLI and then enable it, of course. (Not all motherboards will work with this, it's a hit or miss)
14. Verify it's working. In the Nvidia Control Panel, click 3D Settings (NOT Manage 3D Settings) at the top, next to Help and Desktop and click Show SLI Visual Indicator.
15. Run a SLI compatible game of your choice. You should see a bar on the left side of your screen. The greener the bar, the better SLI is performing. Do these same steps to disable it.
And wallah, enjoy!

-----------------------------

Be sure to read the instructions that match your operating system.

Last edited:
Cooling oversize fans
Case coolermaster elite

Nick1988

Hi,
i have intel x38 chipset and a nvidia gtx 460 grapchics card only running on pcie 1.1x16 mode. i used hyper sli on windows 8.1 to run in pci e 2.0. worked very well. on windows 10 i get a bluescreen with hypersli 1.0. will hyper sli be updated? is there any other solution - bios fix or something. Does anybody know?

Cooling oversize fans
Case coolermaster elite
To Nick1988:

See post #2532 (on this page), hypersli hasn't been updated in a long time, differentsli is what's used now.

Last edited:

Nick1988

To Nick1988:

See post #2534 (on this page), hypersli hasn't been updated in a long time, differentsli is what's used now.

Thank you for you reply.
I have tried it but unfortunately it does not work. gpu z still says pice 1.1 while running rendering test. :(

Cooling oversize fans
Case coolermaster elite
What is your exact motherboard model number?

Cooling oversize fans
Case coolermaster elite
According to the specs:
Expansion Slots
PCI Express 2.0 x16
2 x PCI Express 2.0 x16 <--- you have the right pci slots for differentsli
PCI Express x16
1 x PCI Express x16 (x4 model)
PCI Express x1
1 x PCI Express x1
PCI Slots
2 x PCI Slots

-----------

Full specs for your motherboard here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813127033

-----------

Make sure you are plugging your video boards in to the 2.0 x16 slots and follow the instructions listed in post #2532, unless I'm missing (or misunderstanding) something, differentsli should work with
your hardware. You might need to go to your bios and check your pcie settings for 2.0.

Edit: I just went back and re-read your original post, are you trying to run 1 or 2 video boards?

Last edited:

Nick1988

According to the specs:
Expansion Slots
PCI Express 2.0 x16
2 x PCI Express 2.0 x16 <--- you have the right pci slots for differentsli
PCI Express x16
1 x PCI Express x16 (x4 model)
PCI Express x1
1 x PCI Express x1
PCI Slots
2 x PCI Slots

-----------

Full specs for your motherboard here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813127033

-----------

Make sure you are plugging your video boards in to the 2,0 x16 slots and follow the instructions listed in post #2534, unless I'm missing (or misunderstanding) something, differentsli should work with
your hardware. You might need to go to your bios and check your pcie settings for 2.0.

Edit: I just went back and re-read your original post, are you trying to run 1 or 2 video boards?

i have the right pcie slot because with win 8.1 and hysper sli it worked with pcie 2.0.
Im only running 1 video board but hyper sli fixed the problem with only running in 1.1.

Cooling oversize fans
Case coolermaster elite
You do understand that the whole point behind hypersli & differentsli was to be able to run 2 (or more depending on your motherboard) video boards in sli mode on systems where sli mode wouldn't
normally be available. For example, my system is crossfire only, but I'm running 2 nvidia boards, not ati, so I need to install the patched video driver to have sli mode, otherwise I'm stuck with only
being able to run 1 board even though there are 2 boards in my system, with only 1 board, neither hypersli or differentsli will work properly on your computer. I think what you were originally asking
was how to get your video board to run in 2.0 x16 mode instead of the 1.1 mode, that's easy, just plug it into a 2.0 x16 slot, running hypersli or differentsli in itself will not affect that, only if your running
2 or more video boards in 1 system and you want sli mode (don't forget to install your sli bridge too). You can also update your video drivers too.

I'm just wondering, but what version video driver are your running? I know you stated that
you had your video board in the right slot, but something is off somewhere if your not
getting 2.0 performance (my best guess is a bios setting).

Nick1988

You do understand that the whole point behind hypersli & differentsli was to be able to run 2 (or more depending on your motherboard) video boards in sli mode on systems where sli mode wouldn't
normally be available. For example, my system is crossfire only, but I'm running 2 nvidia boards, not ati, so I need to install the patched video driver to have sli mode, otherwise I'm stuck with only
being able to run 1 board even though there are 2 boards in my system, with only 1 board, neither hypersli or differentsli will work properly on your computer. I think what you were originally asking
was how to get your video board to run in 2.0 x16 mode instead of the 1.1 mode, that's easy, just plug it into a 2.0 x16 slot, running hypersli or differentsli in itself will not affect that, only if your running
2 or more video boards in 1 system and you want sli mode (don't forget to install your sli bridge too).

yes i'm aware off that. i think there is a bug with the x38 chipset and nvidia graphics card because they are running only in pcie 1.1. mode. there are several threads about this.
I know that hyper sli is for running two nvidia graphic cards on a crossfire board. but i installed hyper sli my system only to run my graphic board on pcie 2.0. mode, without hyper sli it was only running in 1.1 mode. so hyper sli does have an effect on that too. now i installed on the same system windows 10 and hyper sli isnt working so my graphics card is only running in 1.1 mode

i use the latest driver 355.82

Cooling oversize fans
Case coolermaster elite
I just ran gpu-z render test on my system, and it stated that I was running in 2.0 x16, but on the main interface it said 1.1, if your not able to run the render test and look in the lower left-hand corner and see
that the value is 2.0 x16, then there might actually be a issue with your chipset, all I can suggest now is go through your bios and check your settings, past that I'm afraid I can't help any further.

See this thread:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1436489/pci-e-2-0-being-reported-as-pci-e-1-1-in-gpu-z

As I understand things, most systems are set (power options in control panel) to revert back to 1.1 when the boards aren't doing much, but when under load they go to 2.0.

zero

I apologize for the bad language.

There are three video - 2x GTX 550ti and 9600GT. Motherboard Gigabyte GA-970A-D3
Two 550 operate in SLI and do not cause problems. Recently I tried to install 9600GT slot PCI-x1 card specified, but it needed another driver other than GTX 550ti.
Installed Windows 10, was set first driver 353.62, apply the patch, and then install 341.8.
The system does not start.
Which system is possible to organize such a thing? Which driver is best suited?
Plan: 2xGTX 550TI sli + 9600GT physics.

Cooling oversize fans
Case coolermaster elite
See post #2532 (on this page), you can't install 2 different video drivers at the same time on the same system, I'm not surprised your system is having trouble booting up, follow the instructions listed
in the specified post, you should install only 1 video driver. If you can run your 550's in sli mode, then you should be able to go to the nvidia control panel and specify the 9600 for physics only without
having to install another driver.

I'm not sure I fully understand your problem, do you mean you installed 1 driver from it's
installer and then installed the patched driver by itself while the other driver was still installed?

I did some more thinking and I think you need a patched windows 10 driver for your
particular setup, I'll patch a copy of nvlddmkm.sys for your specific requirements,
this will be for driver 341.81, this driver is for windows 10 64 bit and older hardware.

Last edited:

zero

See post #2534 (on this page), you can't install 2 different video drivers at the same time on the same system, I'm not surprised your system is having trouble booting up, follow the instructions listed
in the specified post, you should install only 1 video driver. If you can run your 550's in sli mode, then you should be able to go to the nvidia control panel and specify the 9600 for physics only without
having to install another driver.

I'm not sure I fully understand your problem, do you mean you installed 1 driver from it's
installer and then installed the patched driver by itself while the other driver was still installed?

I poorly explained.
353.62 driver does not support the video card 9600GT.
Procedure was silent another - first installed the driver 353.62, 550 were defined, then set 341.8. After restarting the system, all the cards were defined and the system works properly. The problem occurred after installing the patch for SLI.
It may be worth a try to install the drivers in a different order?

Cooling oversize fans
Case coolermaster elite
To zero,

Here's the download link for the patched driver 341.81 windows 10 64-bit:

http://www.gamefront.com/files/25205604/nvlddmkm-34181-win10-64-bit.rar

Go to nvidias' site and download the installer for this version, run the installer, then following instructions in post #2532 install this patched driver
This driver is only for windows 10 64 bit systems running older video hardware (9800 series at least), do not install this driver if your running
newer hardware.

I poorly explained.
353.62 driver does not support the video card 9600GT.
Procedure was silent another - first installed the driver 353.62, 550 were defined, then set 341.8. After restarting the system, all the cards were defined and the system works properly. The problem occurred after installing the patch for SLI.
It may be worth a try to install the drivers in a different order?

---------------

I found the closest thing to a proper driver on nvidias' site for your boards, if after installing this driver (and the patched nvlddmkm.sys for your system) your still having problems, it might be that your 550's and the 9600 can't
co-exist due to driver limitations, your only choices then will be to pull the 9600 out and use only the 550's for everything or leave the 9600 in and pull the 550's out (not recommended). I think there is a possibility that there
is too much of a gap between the 550's and the 9600 for 1 driver to handle, no amount of patching will fix that.

Edit: I did some further checking, and it looks like this driver won't fix your problem, the latest
video hardware this driver supports is a gtx 295, your 550's won't be recognized by this driver,
my best advice is to remove the 9600 and let your 550's handle everything. (I got this info
from the pdf file for driver 341.81).

Last edited:

NerdShowAndTell

Just want to say thanks again for all the work on this!

With that, I want to say I will no longer need to do this as I have upgraded to a i7-6700k system with an Asus Z170-Deluxe motherboard.

One thing I noticed is that I can now do "Surround mode" (3 monitors spanning) with sli without an issue. I connect my monitors up the exact same way I did with the previous setup, however it works without any issue. I posted about this a few pages back in this thread. So there is something preventing surround with SLI on my old system with a Crosshair IV Formula and the modified differentsli drivers. Just in case someone else is trying to do the same.

Anyway,

Thanks again for getting me by until I could upgrade!

- Shane

Cooling oversize fans
Case coolermaster elite
Glad your system upgrade was successful! I can't test surround with sli since I'm only running 2 boards and a single monitor. There could be something about the modified driver that is causing this issue, but I can't think of what
at the moment, if someone else reports the same problem, it'll probably have to be looked into more deeply. Sorry the modified driver didn't work 100% for you though.

NerdShowAndTell

Glad your system upgrade was successful! I can't test surround with sli since I'm only running 2 boards and a single monitor. There could be something about the modified driver that is causing this issue, but I can't think of what
at the moment, if someone else reports the same problem, it'll probably have to be looked into more deeply. Sorry the modified driver didn't work 100% for you though.

No worries, it got me to the next level! Thanks again!