• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Radeon R9 Nano Review by TPU...Not

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Processor Rocket Lake Core i5 11600K @ 5 Ghz with PL tweaks
Motherboard MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120SE + 4 Phanteks 140mm case fans
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB SR) Patriot Viper Steel 4133Mhz DDR4 @ 3600Mhz CL14@1.45v Gear 1
Video Card(s) Asus Dual RTX 4070 OC
Storage WD Blue SN550 1TB M.2 NVME//Crucial MX500 500GB SSD (OS)
Display(s) AOC Q2781PQ 27 inch Ultra Slim 2560 x 1440 IPS
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Windowed - Gunmetal
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC1200/SPDIF to Sony AVR @ 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM650w Gold Semi modular
Mouse Coolermaster Storm Octane wired
Keyboard Element Gaming Carbon Mk2 Tournament Mech
Software Win 10 Home x64
I always find it amusing when some very ill informed and often ignorant members make rash claims like this is an anti AMD site or NVidia biased...... I can only assume that they are not aware that the owner of this site for many many years has been writing/coding and producing overclocking and tweaking software for AMD only cards, both independently for the wider communities and also in direct support for the very biggest AMD Graphic Card players with their overclocking software and as far as I am aware still does, the fact that he may not climb upon his soapbox and shout to the world about it is a lesson that one or two of us here might learn...... but I doubt that sadly.

If they really dislike it so much here they are welcome to close the door on their way out and hand in their keys at the gate.

What were the content of the posts from this AMD reps multiple accounts?

Right now we have the AMDRTP cult which seems to plague the internet they seem like the biggest fanclub that exists. Members that monitor any forum and news articles, and is quick to go berzerk against any negative post toward AMD products. I bet AMD give cheap cards to these guys every now and then just to get their "protection".

AMD_Roy is the biggest joke around with his constant low blow attacks against Nvidia and reposting of any tweet from a random guy saying "Love my R7 360X, AMDRTP 4 life". That is one of the higher ups in the system and he is a clown.
What do mean content? Starting promo threads then bumping them with sock puppets. stuff like that. Not Roy either..

Idk if it still goes on now but it was happening frequently, it got to the point admins asked him to tone it down...was still tolerated though. The thing was it was so obvious as to be funny...lol

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
Instead of blaming AMD, tell us please why or how much you receive from nvidia to keep their image up and AMD's down?

I have to be honest... That's such a stretch a really did laugh a little. AMD seems to be doing a fine job on their own with their "image". For me personally as a shareholder AMD has done nothing but disappoint. It's sad for several reasons and I can only hope they turn things around.

System Name Headshot
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard ASUS Crosshair VI Hero ROG
Cooling Phanteks Glacier One 360 MPH
Memory 2x16GB Corsair Vengence LPX DDR4 @ 3200 16-18-18-18-36
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Vega64 (Linux)/Gigabyte RX 6600 (Windows VM)
Storage Cruscial P5 1TB nVME, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Seagate 1TBx2 (Home/Data), 2TB Seagate (Games)
Display(s) 2x Acer 1080P 144HZ
Case Phanteks Enthoo Luxe White
Audio Device(s) Schiit Stack (Schiit Audio Modi 2 DAC + Magni 3 AMP + Loki)
Power Supply eVGA Supernova 1000 G2
Mouse Razer DeathAdder V2
Keyboard Logitech G710+
Software Arch Linux with Windows 10 Gaming VM
Seems to me that this should have been expected. I would venture a guess that the nano is a cherry picked Fury X that can operate at perhaps slightly lower voltage to fit within the power envelope. On top of the fact that the Fury cards are in short supply and then cherry picking from an already low supply (there aren't many AIB's with Fury cards, I think only Asus and Sapphire have Fury vanilla cards). It's a completely new design with HBM and the interposer, it is innovation that will benefit APUs as much as discrete GPUs. Intel also has a low supply of Skylake CPU's, probably because of the new manufacturing process. I am not an electrical engineer by any stretch of the imagination, but 3D stacked memory chip with a 4096bit bus on an interposer seems like a lofty task and an expensive one, therefore it comes with a price.

Why and by what standards AMD is choosing its reviewers, is speculation at this point. Perhaps give AMD the opportunity to comment? I am sure the decisions are not made lightly.

Calling for the removal of Dr. Lisa Su also seems absurd, she hasn't even been CEO for 1 year (1 year this October). Unreasonable expectations that she could do a complete turn around of a company in 11 months when development cycles can take in excess of 5 years. My 2 cents anyway.

System Name Old Fart / Young Dude
Processor 2500K / 6600K
Motherboard ASRock P67Extreme4 / Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 DDR3
Cooling CM Hyper TX3 / CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 16 GB Kingston HyperX / 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws X
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 1050 Ti / INNO3D RTX 2060
Storage SSD, some WD and lots of Samsungs
Display(s) BenQ GW2470 / LG UHD 43" TV
Case Cooler Master CM690 II Advanced / Thermaltake Core v31
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D1/Denon PMA500AE/Wharfedale D 10.1/ FiiO D03K/ JBL LSR 305
Power Supply Corsair TX650 / Corsair TX650M
Mouse Steelseries Rival 100 / Rival 110
Keyboard Sidewinder/ Steelseries Apex 150
Software Windows 10 / Windows 10 Pro
AMD are putting in some fine efforts to become irrelevant. They will be missed.

Impartial isn't posting AMD-only marketing, like the mantle review Hilbert did. AMD's only using marketing-friendly companies for reviews it seems. We have a larger reach than GuRu3D (according to the public info available by Alexa), so this definitely isn't about AMD getting the widest exposure for their products, it's about getting the reviews they want. Tech Report not getting one is not surprising, since the whole frame pacing stuff, and HardOCP not getting one is weird, since I think HardOCP has always been very AMD-friendly.
Idk about that, Guru3D is ranked around 7000 on Alexa. I don't really have a problem with Hilbert, though he is is a bit arrogant imho. Mainly just the stuff that's allowed to go on on there.

Shame as there are a lot of very nice members on the site.....if it was irl I'd call them my friends. :)

System Name natr0n-PC
Processor Ryzen 5950x/5600x
Motherboard B450 AORUS M
Cooling EK AIO 360 - 6 fan action
Memory Patriot - Viper Steel DDR4 (B-Die)(4x8GB)
Video Card(s) EVGA 3070ti FTW
Storage Various
Display(s) PIXIO IPS 240Hz 1080P
Case Thermaltake Level 20 VT
Audio Device(s) LOXJIE D10 + Kinter Amp + 6 Bookshelf Speakers Sony+JVC+Sony
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III ARGB 80+ Gold 650W
Software XP/7/8.1/10
Benchmark Scores http://valid.x86.fr/79kuh6
Oh well indeed.

Many users here have shitloads of money to blow. When a nano is bought they will post benches regardless.

So why worry...

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Idk about that, Guru3D is ranked around 7000 on Alexa. I don't really have a problem with Hilbert, though he is is a bit arrogant imho. Mainly just the stuff that's allowed to go on on there.

Shame as there are a lot of very nice members on the site.....if it was irl I'd call them my friends. :)
Yeah, we're at about 5000. Just a bit higher. Guru3d and us have swapped positions many times, with us being the higher in the rankings more often than not.

System Name MoneySink
Processor 2600K @ 4.8
Motherboard P8Z77-V
Cooling AC NexXxos XT45 360, RayStorm, D5T+XSPC tank, Tygon R-3603, Bitspower
Memory 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3-1600C8
Video Card(s) GTX 780 SLI (EVGA SC ACX + Giga GHz Ed.)
Storage Kingston HyperX SSD (128) OS, WD RE4 (1TB), RE2 (1TB), Cav. Black (2 x 500GB), Red (4TB)
Display(s) Achieva Shimian QH270-IPSMS (2560x1440) S-IPS
Case NZXT Switch 810
Audio Device(s) onboard Realtek yawn edition
Power Supply Seasonic X-1050
Software Win8.1 Pro
Benchmark Scores 3.5 litres of Pale Ale in 18 minutes.
What were the content of the posts from this AMD reps multiple accounts?
Right now we have the AMDRTP cult which seems to plague the internet they seem like the biggest fanclub that exists. Members that monitor any forum and news articles, and is quick to go berzerk against any negative post toward AMD products. I bet AMD give cheap cards to these guys every now and then just to get their "protection".
They do get handouts, but I suspect some of these people are just overburdened with spare time. Listening to them tends to scream NEEDY (and creepy in some cases - check out the psychotic stare!)

AMD_Roy is the biggest joke around with his constant low blow attacks against Nvidia and reposting of any tweet from a random guy saying "Love my R7 360X, AMDRTP 4 life". That is one of the higher ups in the system and he is a clown.
He was just as much a clown when he worked for Nvidia. Remember his cringe-worthy " No one cares about ATI and AMD" rant? At least RTP do it out of some sense of community (I assume) - Roy just spouts whatever OTT garbage he thinks will get him invited to the company picnic.

Last edited:
Yeah, we're at about 5000. Just a bit higher. Guru3d and us have swapped positions many times, with us being the higher in the rankings more often than not.
Yeah but do you realize Guru3D members don't need to visit the site to read replies to subbed threads, or pm's? The replies are contained in the email notifications.
I could sit at my desk and read an entire thread without going to the forum This means a lot of the members don't show up as traffic.

On a good day there are about 100 members on the forum 700 guests and 4500 for the site... TPU is great but the forum is def not as busy as Guru's forum, I don't know about the main site though.

Not trying to argue, just putting things into perspective. :) TBh Hilbert said the forum only just broke even....wasn't really a priority for him afaik..... Maybe it's the same for wiz?

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
So why worry...
Journalistic integrity. Consistency. Reassurance. So on and so fourth. It was bad enough that AMD announced the Nano price of $649.99 and now this. FFS, if the problem with Fiji supply, leading to this...vaporware...situation was HBM, then why doesn't AMD put out a press release saying it is? AMD goes through delaying rebranding (that's funny but it, unfortunately, is not a joke) for Fiji, delays Nano to build up supply, and Fiji cards are still as rare as 4-leaf clovers. It does not compute. And what does AMD have to say about it? Apparently nothing. You'd think investors would have the right to know about this stuff.

Why worry? Fuck ups like this is more proof AMD is going in the crapper and that's not what anyone needs.

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 5900X
Motherboard ASUS Prime X470 Pro
Cooling Arctic liquid freezer II 240
Memory 2 x 16 Gb Gskill Trident Z 3600 Mhz
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 3060 Ti OC
Storage Samsung 960 EVO 500 Gb / 860 EVO 1 Tb
Display(s) Dell S2719DGF
Case Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse Logitech G703
Keyboard Logitech G513
Software Win 11
TPU the site owned by the person that spent years making overclocking tools for AMD/ATI is biased against AMD/ATI
I want new friends to go back to /g/ with their conspiracy bullshit.

The nano was the only interesting card based off Fiji, at the price of a 980ti it was dead on arrival in my eyes anyway.
At this point it seems console chips are the only thing keeping AMD from bankruptcy, their CPU's haven't competed with anything since the core series launched and the only GPU's they have worth buying are 3 year old cards that can deliver acceptable performance for their price 7970/7950

By the time DX12 becomes relevant Nvidia will have new cards out that will walk all over AMD like they currently do in DX11.

Sincerely, an AMD fanboy.

Last edited:
Yeah what next, releasing a card as oem only. Though I lost the interest on the price announcement, 14/16nm can't come fast enough.

System Name PC.
Processor i7 2600K 5.0Gh,i7 3770K 5.00Gh. EK, Liqed Coooleng
Motherboard P67A-UD7-B3 Gigabyte T.,ASUS,P8Z77-V PREMIUM,MAXIMUS V EXTRIME..
Cooling Liqed Cooleng ,EK Suprime LTX Nickel,EK for Motherboard,Aqua computer (WGA), Thermaltake .... 0i,
Memory G.SKILL F3-17600CL7-2GBPISG. 16GBSkill Sniper F3-17000CL94GBSR on 2400Hz 10-12-11-29 1
Video Card(s) GTX590 ,SLI ,POV TGT best 691Hz ,LiqedCoold,GTX480.....GTX1080MSI SeaHawkEK SLI
Storage OCZ-REVODRIVE 3-240GB,2xCrucialMX100.512.R-0,1x LMT-32L3m,3x 1TB-WD,1x;1x2TbSEAGATE1x2Tb Seagate
Display(s) DELL-U2412Mb,Samsung Synkmaster245B,HP ENVY 34c
Case Thermaltake, NZXT SWITCH 810SE
Audio Device(s) CREATIVE BLASTER X-Fi Titanium HD , AUNE T1MK2 TUBE USB
Power Supply ENERMAX Platimax 1500W,Thermaltake 1500W
Mouse VIPER V560,FUNC MS-3, Prestigio, R.A.T.E.7 and 5,LogitechG502,RAZER,Inperator.,dead...a.s.o.
Keyboard Trust ....LogotechG410
Software Windows7 64....
Benchmark Scores 3DMark Fire Strike 21.385 (37.234,11.828,7.176)
Everything caution AMD development team to keep everything under their control raises in a lot of dust.
NVIDIA just waiting when will AMD again come in such big problems when they can easily bought this knowledge. Some developers will jump to another ship and AMD has developed new technology for NVIDIA without gratitude but for breadcrumbs. NVIDIA to the largest customer behave disrespectful and sells scrap cutout processor as best gameing product, and many do not even know it. Horror

Last edited:

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Yeah but do you realize Guru3D members don't need to visit the site to read replies to subbed threads, or pm's? The replies are contained in the email notifications.
I could sit at my desk and read an entire thread without going to the forum This means a lot of the members don't show up as traffic.

On a good day there are about 100 members on the forum 700 guests and 4500 for the site... TPU is great but the forum is def not as busy as Guru's forum, I don't know about the main site though.

Not trying to argue, just putting things into perspective. :) TBh Hilbert said the forum only just broke even....wasn't really a priority for him afaik..... Maybe it's the same for wiz?
Yeah, that's it, our forum isn't the main source of traffic at all; it's all front page. Which, as you said, is pretty obvious by the member/post count.

Either way, we are neck-and-neck often. And I'm talking using Amazon's metrics, not our own, which may be far different.

System Name 3 desktop systems: Gaming / Internet / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5 5500 / Ryzen 5 4600G / FX 6300 (12 years latter got to see how bad Bulldozer is)
Motherboard MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (1) / MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (2) / Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3
Cooling Νoctua U12S / Segotep T4 / Snowman M-T6
Memory 16GB G.Skill RIPJAWS 3600 / 16GB G.Skill Aegis 3200 / 16GB Kingston 2400MHz (DDR3)
Video Card(s) ASRock RX 6600 + GT 710 (PhysX)/ Vega 7 integrated / Radeon RX 580
Storage NVMes, NVMes everywhere / NVMes, more NVMes / Various storage, SATA SSD mostly
Display(s) Philips 43PUS8857/12 UHD TV (120Hz, HDR, FreeSync Premium) ---- 19'' HP monitor + BlitzWolf BW-V5
Case Sharkoon Rebel 12 / Sharkoon Rebel 9 / Xigmatek Midguard
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Chieftec 850W / Silver Power 400W / Sharkoon 650W
Mouse CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / Coolermaster Devastator / Logitech
Keyboard CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / Coolermaster Devastator / Logitech
Software Windows 10 / Windows 10 / Windows 7
With this stupid tactics, they will manage to give more reasons to the tech sites to attack them in the future. If they have 100 cards, they should send all of them to the press and none at retail. Not 5 at the press and 95 at retail.

If anything, TPU is by far the least biased review site. Maybe they make tiny mistakes here and there (like everyone else), but they certainly aren't biased. I've seen highly favorable reviews of AMD products, but only when they deserved it. And same goes for NVIDIA products. Saying TPU is biased is just silly. They are just honest and some apparently don't like that...

With this stupid tactics, they will manage to give more reasons to the tech sites to attack them in the future. If they have 100 cards, they should send all of them to the press and none at retail. Not 5 at the press and 95 at retail.

pretty sure its not lack of cards that made them refuse to send sample to some reviewers, besides, if lack of samples was a problem they could just as easily rotate the cards amongst reviewers a bit early so all can review them before launch date (pretty sure wizz, and most, would have no problem shipping the card back and/or to another reviewer)

if amds marketing team continues with tactics like this, they will be no different from the nvidia marketing team moves

very fishy moves, shiet will hit the fan if there is something wrong with the cards, and people will find out, sooner or later, this kind of moves only delay the blow

cadaveca

My name is Dave
I don't think AMD is trying to hide anything. Fury and FuryX are still OOS or pre-order here. BTA said simply, AMD is low on stock.

At the same time, AMD doesn't sell cards directly... their board partners do. SO the idea that AMD doesn't have stock makes a lot of sense, since all ASICs are going to meet orders by those board partners... probably direct from whomever is assembling the packages. AMD probably doesn't get any dies themselves other than what they already had on-hand.

The sites they have chosen to give cards to, who cares? The point of the news post is educational... you guys want our review, but we will not have one. So on launch day, please go look at other sites for reviews. No big deal, and this saves us having to deal with all of this on launch day.

Why not TPU? How about our lack of a social media presence, and lack of youtube presence? That's enough reason...

Last edited:
System Name Boomer Master Race
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7735HS APU
Motherboard BareBones Mini PC MB
Cooling Mini PC Cooling
Memory Crucial 32GB 4800MHz
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 680M 8GB IGPU
Storage Crucial 500GB M.2 SSD + 2TB Ext HDD
Display(s) Sony 4K Bravia X85J 43Inch TV 120Hz
Case Beelink Mini PC Chassis
Audio Device(s) Built In Realtek Digital Audio HD
Power Supply 120w Power Brick
Mouse Logitech G203 Lightsync
Keyboard Atrix RGB Slim Keyboard
VR HMD ( ◔ ʖ̯ ◔ )
Software Windows 10 Home 64bit
Benchmark Scores Don't do them anymore.
Erghh... Please Samsung or Microsoft just buy AMD already please :(

Processor 7800x3d
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Auros Elite AX
Cooling Custom Water
Memory GSKILL 2x16gb 6000mhz Cas 30 with custom timings
Video Card(s) MSI RX 6750 XT MECH 2X 12G OC
Storage Adata SX8200 1tb with Windows, Samsung 990 Pro 2tb with games
Display(s) HP Omen 27q QHD 165hz
Case ThermalTake P3
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex Titanium
Software Windows 11 64 Bit
Benchmark Scores CB23: 1811 / 19424 CB24: 1136 / 7687
HardOCP said they would buy the card if they had to, would expect TPU would do same.
I think tpu gives the best gpu reviews. By reading the news post, I am not surprised to see that it seems TPU agrees with me.

I would expect them to do the same as HardOCP, but that does not mean they will. They don't have to. So I asked the question hoping for a confirmation.

System Name Lailalo
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X Boosts to 4.95Ghz
Motherboard Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus (WIFI
Cooling Noctua
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) XFX 7900XT 20GB
Storage Samsung 970 Pro Plus 1TB, Crucial 1TB MX500 SSD, Segate 3TB
Display(s) LG Ultrawide 29in @ 2560x1080
Case Coolermaster Storm Sniper
Power Supply XPG 1000W
Mouse G602
Keyboard G510s
Software Windows 10 Pro / Windows 10 Home
If anything, TPU is by far the least biased review site. Maybe they make tiny mistakes here and there (like everyone else), but they certainly aren't biased. I've seen highly favorable reviews of AMD products, but only when they deserved it. And same goes for NVIDIA products. Saying TPU is biased is just silly. They are just honest and some apparently don't like that...

Because many TPU reviews are far too nice. Ratings over 8 or 9 for so-so products. I've looked at them and seen many noting some glaring issues with a product, then that product getting a TPU recommendation/etc. It's like...seriously TPU? You state it has some major issues then you highly recommend it? I thought they might be getting some pay for good reviews but I've just seen it too many times that it is clear some of the people are just too lenient here.

The content of the reviews are good, but the TPU rating system and such is often crap. If a product has a major issue, it should reflect greatly in the score and also not garner a recommendation.