• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The bicycle of the future

Accidents waiting to happen.

I can imagine ... dudes running into lakes while looking down on their phones... Running into trains ... Running into walls, cars, moms, teachers, insanity, and whatnot...

This bike is a good recipe for disasters.

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
For all those complaining that the phone is a recipe for disaster when paired with the bike.

IMO Its really down to how the rider is using it. I have a 'cycle computer' with quite a big display attached to the stem of my handlebars Occasionally i have a quick glance to see how fast im travelling, distance travelled or check the time. the latter involving me pressing the occasional button to switch between the readouts on the display.

Now a phone might have extra functionality, but if they disable message alerts and calls unless the ride is wearing a bluetooth headset, but if they lock down all major functions of the phone and only make it so it displays all the important things any cycle computer would when the handset is docked with the bike. Then i dont see no problem with this.

I might take a little extra effort to code but if its for peoples safety and the group of folk who are always style over substance then this is definitely something that would be for them

My neighborhood has a lot of pre-teen and teens and it's funny to watch them sometimes.

I've seen a kid running into a car that was backing out of its driveway. The car honked few times noticing the kid walking but he wouldn't take his eyes off his phone and ran right into it.

I've also seen a teen girl who walking over an active lawn sprinkler, panicking since water was cool, dropping her phone and getting it wet.

Funny moments and, if you think a little differently, scary moments.

System Name Bay2- Lowerbay/ HP 3770/T3500-2+T3500-3+T3500-4/ Opti-Con/Orange/White/Grey
Processor i3 2120's/ i7 3770/ x5670's/ i5 2400/Ryzen 2700/Ryzen 2700/R7 3700x
Motherboard HP UltraSlim's/ HP mid size/ Dell T3500 workstation's/ Dell 390/B450 AorusM/B450 AorusM/B550 AorusM
Cooling All stock coolers/Grey has an H-60
Memory 2GB/ 4GB/ 12 GB 3 chan/ 4GB sammy/T-Force 16GB 3200/XPG 16GB 3000/Ballistic 3600 16GB
Video Card(s) HD2000's/ HD 2000/ 1 MSI GT710,2x MSI R7 240's/ HD4000/ Red Dragon 580/Sapphire 580/Sapphire 580
Storage ?HDD's/ 500 GB-er's/ 500 GB/2.5 Samsung 500GB HDD+WD Black 1TB/ WD Black 500GB M.2/Corsair MP600 M.2
Display(s) 1920x1080/ ViewSonic VX24568 between the rest/1080p TV-Grey
Case HP 8200 UltraSlim's/ HP 8200 mid tower/Dell T3500's/ Dell 390/SilverStone Kublai KL06/NZXT H510 W x2
Audio Device(s) Sonic Master/ onboard's/ Beeper's!
Power Supply 19.5 volt bricks/ Dell PSU/ 525W sumptin/ same/Seasonic 750 80+Gold/EVGA 500 80+/Antec 650 80+Gold
Mouse cheap GigaWire930, CMStorm Havoc + Logitech M510 wireless/iGear usb x2/MX 900 wireless kit 4 Grey
Keyboard Dynex, 2 no name, SYX and a Logitech. All full sized and USB. MX900 kit for Grey
Software Mint 18 Sylvia/ Opti-Con Mint KDE/ T3500's on Kubuntu/HP 3770 is Win 10/Win 10 Pro/Win 10 Pro/Win10
Benchmark Scores World Community Grid is my benchmark!!
Earlier this morning, I had to go to work, on my day off, to solve a small issue with one of the fluid pumps in our back room. As I was standing, waiting for the bus, some young black guy runs right into me, from behind.

I turned and heard his phone hit the pavement then, "Oh Shit" as he realized he cracked the screen dropping it. I could barely hold it together.

I wanted to laugh and pound the shit out of him, at the same time. Never said sorry, excuse me, nothing but "OH Shit" and walked away. When I blurted out, "Pardon Me!!" he barely half looked around. He was still staring down at his phone and I barely caught his attention.

I turned to see what the people around me were doing, as a consensus, they were all shaking their heads in disbelief.

:(

There seems to be a disconnect from sane social behavior, from the "Connected" generation. I told my girl the other day, did you come here to see me? She looked up from her phone, like I was intruding. I told her to turn it off or I was leaving, and stood up. Only then would she shut it down.

Does anyone else ever get sick of the word "Sorry"?

Oops, seems I rattled on, AGAIN.
:D

Last edited:
I don't know. I am in my mid-30s and when the smartphone boom came to dominate, I was in my early 20s. Perhaps because of that, I never got into it too much. Granted, I use it daily but it is out of necessity rather than addiction.

The younger generation seems to be totally addicted to it though. It's a little too much that it sort of worries me.

P.S. We are going off topic although this is somewhat related to the topic at hand.

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
Earlier this morning, I had to go to work, on my day off, to solve a small issue with on of the fluid pumps in our back room. As I was standing, waiting for the bus, some young black guy run right into me, from behind.

I turned and heard his phone hit the pavement then, "Oh Shit" as he realized he cracked the screen dropping it. I could barely hold it together.

I wanted to laugh and pound the shit out of him, at the same time. Never said sorry, excuse me, nothing but "OH Shit" and walked away. When I blurted out, "Pardon Me!!" he barely half looked around. He was still staring down at his phone and I barely caught his attention.

I turned to see what the people around me were doing, as a consensus, they were all shaking their heads in disbelief.

:(

There seems to be a disconnect from sane social behavior, from the "Connected" generation. I told my girl the other day, did you come here to see me? She looked up from her phone, like I was intruding. I told her to turn it off or I was leaving, and stood up. Only then would she shut it down.

Does anyone else ever get sick of the word "Sorry"?

Oops, seems I rattled on, AGAIN.
:D

I think most cyclists on the road know not to use mobiles while cycling, If driving while holding a mobile up to your ear or texting is banned/illegal even when the vehicle is at a standstill at traffic lights (silly if you ask me but safety first...)

Obviously its common sense, Kinda like the argument with helmets - some cyclists choose not to wear them, Police, emergency services & other cyclists might like/want you to wear a helmet for your own safety but at the same time its something thats not enforced and they cant make you wear one unless a law was passed that made it a legal requirement.

With that said, even though a majority of cyclists have their wits about them and thus have some common sense, There are those that dont.... I saw a guy the other day cycling on the main road. In one hand was a box of KFC and the other a peice of chicken - He was EATING while he was cycling.

While its no easy feat to eat chicken while cycling on a busy road at the same time, this guy was an idiot and i honestly hope for the sake of society that he gets knocked over and possibly killed before his stupid antics can spread.

Luckily he wasnt cycling in Central London where there are a lot more threats that a cyclist has to look out for but he was still on a busy road none the less.

Seeing a guy eating while he's cycling on the road is a rare occurrence. I honestly see more cyclists on the road at night with no lights, no helmet or Hi-vis. While its not my place to give lectures. I have pointed out that he or she shouldnt be on the road with no lights or high vis on especially when cycling on the road at night and just wished them luck that they wouldnt get hit or knocked over by a car on the way home.