• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Computer screen showing up random solid color and freezing

System Name BK-201
Processor Intel i7-7700K 4.20GHz
Motherboard GA-Z270X-UG
Cooling Cryorig H7 Tower Cooler
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz (PC4-25600)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte AORUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Xtreme Edition 11GB
Storage Seagate 7200rpm 2TB; Western Digital 7200rpm 1TB; Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" SATA III 500GB
Display(s) AOC 24" 1080p 144hz G-Sync
Case Thermaltake Chaser MK-1
Audio Device(s) N/A
Power Supply Thermaltake Smart M850W Modular 850 Watts
Mouse Razer Naga Hex v2 Chroma
Keyboard Razer Black Widow Ultimate Chroma
So, I've been having strange issues on and off for months.

The three main ones in order are: random BSODs which seem to have stopped for now, computer shutting down with no warning (plugged it by itself in a wall outlet, hasn't done that one since), and now my new issue that started today is that the computer just shows a random solid color on screen and I cant do anything but restart the damn thing.

I have just tried to do a CPU burn test a few times already, no crashes or errors. Also did a chkdsk and sfc in command prompt with no errors. Did a FurMark test for GPU, no errors either.

I somehow have a feeling that the motherboard is the culprit, hence why I was looking for a potential upgrade earlier last week.

Any help is appreciated, thank you!

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
I somehow have a feeling that the motherboard is the culprit, hence why I was looking for a potential upgrade earlier last week.
I would suspect power before the motherboard. At any rate, because EVERYTHING else depends on good power, I would swap in a known good PSU and see what happens to at least eliminate your PSU from the equation.

For monitor problems, I always recommend swapping monitors first too. If the problem moves with the monitor to a second computer, you know the problem is with the monitor. If a second monitor on this computer does the same thing, you know the problem is in your computer.

If you don't have a spare monitor, most modern TVs support computer input.

System Name BK-201
Motherboard GA-Z270X-UG
Storage Seagate 7200rpm 2TB; Western Digital 7200rpm 1TB; Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" SATA III 500GB
Audio Device(s) N/A
I would suspect power before the motherboard. At any rate, because EVERYTHING else depends on good power, I would swap in a known good PSU and see what happens to at least eliminate your PSU from the equation.

For monitor problems, I always recommend swapping monitors first too. If the problem moves with the monitor to a second computer, you know the problem is with the monitor. If a second monitor on this computer does the same thing, you know the problem is in your computer.

If you don't have a spare monitor, most modern TVs support computer input.

Well, this morning it shut down by itself while I was just navigating the internet but this time it did not power on at all afterwards.
So I flicked the switch behind the PSU and unplugged it, left it for a moment, plugged it back in.

Tried powering it on again, and it only gave power for a brief moment and nothing again, though there was still some power going in the motherboard because the LED for the on board power button was still on. Speaking of which, I'm not sure if that is normal but the LED is solid orange color.

So after that, I tested it with a PSU tester and everything lit up green except the -5v on the 24pin motherboard connector so I'm not sure if that's a good or bad sign. After that I re-plugged everything in and the computer started working again.

Now I'm on my computer but I'm not sure how long it'll be before the next shut down or solid colored screen pops up again. I'm probably going to get a new PSU at bestbuy or something to test it and then return it after,

Thanks for the help in advance!

System Name BK-201
Motherboard GA-Z270X-UG
Audio Device(s) N/A
Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit

Hmmm, sorry. I thought I answered this. I know I wrote a reply so I must have forgotten to click the post button. :oops: Darn cranial flatulence! :banghead:

I'm probably going to get a new PSU at bestbuy or something to test it and then return it after,
That would be unethical because BestBuy cannot then sell the open-box returned item as new and would have to take a loss - which of course, would be passed on to the rest of us, just as shoplifting costs are passed on to the rest of us. So if you do not have or cannot borrow a known good PSU from a trusting friend or relative, then I recommend you buy one to keep as a spare. A spare PSU is nice to have on hand anyway - just for cases like this, but also, with your tester to power it on, the spare PSU be used to test fans and drive motors too.

There is no industry standard for motherboard LEDs. Some have none, others have many of different colors. So check your motherboard manual to see what 1 lit amber LED means.

A missing -5V is normal as most modern motherboards don't use that voltage. While the tester shows everything is fine, those testers are not conclusive because they do not put a variety of realistic loads on the PSU and they also do not test for ripple or other anomalies. That can only be done with sophisticated (read: expensive) test equipment by someone who knows what they are doing. So swapping in a known good PSU is the best option for "normal" users. If the tester shows a needed voltage is missing, the PSU is bad. But a good indication may not really indicate the PSU is working totally within required ATX standard specifications.

System Name BK-201
Motherboard GA-Z270X-UG
Audio Device(s) N/A
Hmmm, sorry. I thought I answered this. I know I wrote a reply so I must have forgotten to click the post button. :oops: Darn cranial flatulence! :banghead:

That would be unethical because BestBuy cannot then sell the open-box returned item as new and would have to take a loss - which of course, would be passed on to the rest of us, just as shoplifting costs are passed on to the rest of us. So if you do not have or cannot borrow a known good PSU from a trusting friend or relative, then I recommend you buy one to keep as a spare. A spare PSU is nice to have on hand anyway - just for cases like this, but also, with your tester to power it on, the spare PSU be used to test fans and drive motors too.

There is no industry standard for motherboard LEDs. Some have none, others have many of different colors. So check your motherboard manual to see what 1 lit amber LED means.

A missing -5V is normal as most modern motherboards don't use that voltage. While the tester shows everything is fine, those testers are not conclusive because they do not put a variety of realistic loads on the PSU and they also do not test for ripple or other anomalies. That can only be done with sophisticated (read: expensive) test equipment by someone who knows what they are doing. So swapping in a known good PSU is the best option for "normal" users. If the tester shows a needed voltage is missing, the PSU is bad. But a good indication may not really indicate the PSU is working totally within required ATX standard specifications.

I've actually got a spare 850W Thermaltake Smart 850 from a friend luckily!

I've installed it yesterday and I have since not had any issues so far, made a few tests with FurMark for my GPUs both separately and with SLI on and no issues.

Also, I was wondering if 80 to 85 celcius on max load on games, is that okay? It reached 100 celcius in the burn in test from a few days ago.
If these are not good temps, what air or liquid cooler would you recommend for a CPU. I read the CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO is pretty popular and a good price/performance ratio.

Thanks again for the help.

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Pro V2
Cooling Enermax ETX-T50RGB
Memory CL16 BL2K16G36C16U4RL 3600 1:1 micron e-die
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE RTX 3070 Ti GAMING OC
Storage ADATA SX8200PRO NVME 512GB, Intel 545s 500GBSSD, ADATA SU800 SSD, 3TB Spinner
Display(s) LG Ultra Gear 32 1440p 165hz Dell 1440p 75hz
Case Phanteks P300 /w 300A front panel conversion
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus+ Platinum 750W
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
Software Windows 11 +startisallback
85c is normal if you are using the stock cooler 100c from IBT ins't unheard of either
run the unigine valley benchmark if you need to stress the psu the gpu will draw more power then anything
I would invest in either hyper212 evo or a deepcool gamma MAXX ,air cooler tho

System Name BK-201
Motherboard GA-Z270X-UG
Audio Device(s) N/A
85c is normal if you are using the stock cooler 100c from IBT ins't unheard of either
run the unigine valley benchmark if you need to stress the psu the gpu will draw more power then anything
I would invest in either hyper212 evo or a deepcool gamma MAXX ,air cooler tho

I will do a a unigine benchmark probably tomorrow when I have more time.

As for the CPU cooler, I'm not sure one really needs a liquid cooler anyways, that's probably why I never got one I guess.

Also I was looking into changing my case to maybe full tower to have more room when I need to change something in the case and whatnot.

I currently have an Antec 900. I do like the good airflow but the cable management and hard drive bays are really not very good. I am looking for something that has good airflow, great cable management, and easy to access/handle hard drive bays. The brand doesn't really matter, as long as it does a great job at it. As for budget I'd say probably 150 max, 200 would be pushing it.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
I am a strong advocate for using Intel and AMD stock coolers but if you are not overclocking then 85°C is a bit high in my book if it sits up there for awhile. If not overclocking, before going with an aftermarket cooler, you need to look at your case cooling. It is the case's responsibility to provide a sufficient supply of cool air flowing through the case. The CPU cooler need only toss the CPU's heat into that flow. What do you currently have for case cooling and does your case support more or larger fans?

System Name BK-201
Motherboard GA-Z270X-UG
Audio Device(s) N/A
I am a strong advocate for using Intel and AMD stock coolers but if you are not overclocking then 85°C is a bit high in my book if it sits up there for awhile. If not overclocking, before going with an aftermarket cooler, you need to look at your case cooling. It is the case's responsibility to provide a sufficient supply of cool air flowing through the case. The CPU cooler need only toss the CPU's heat into that flow. What do you currently have for case cooling and does your case support more or larger fans?

I have the Antec 900 case, here are the specs: http://www.antec.com/specs/900_spe.html

I was thinking of getting a new case though, something that is much better for management while keeping a good airflow like my current one does.

Was eyeing full ATX towers this time, though the only thing that worries me is if the PSU cords are long enough for that kind of case.

Would not mind some suggestions on that part either.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
something that is much better for management while keeping a good airflow
Management? What kind of management? If you mean cable management, the 900 offers good cable management and outstanding cooling options so not really sure what you are seeking. Note that Antecs make some of the best cases in terms of quality, trueness (exactly 90.0° angles) and sturdiness (essential to eliminate physical stresses on mounted components).

Note that "full" tower only means "taller" so it will support more drives and up to EATX motherboards with more expansion slots. Full in no way implies better cooling or cable management or quality. Full does, however, ensure it will be heavier, bulkier, and harder to lug outside for properly cleaning.

If you like your Nine Hundred but are looking for something new, consider the Nine Hundred Two V3.

System Name BK-201
Motherboard GA-Z270X-UG
Audio Device(s) N/A
Management? What kind of management? If you mean cable management, the 900 offers good cable management and outstanding cooling options so not really sure what you are seeking. Note that Antecs make some of the best cases in terms of quality, trueness (exactly 90.0° angles) and sturdiness (essential to eliminate physical stresses on mounted components).

Note that "full" tower only means "taller" so it will support more drives and up to EATX motherboards with more expansion slots. Full in no way implies better cooling or cable management or quality. Full does, however, ensure it will be heavier, bulkier, and harder to lug outside for properly cleaning.

If you like your Nine Hundred but are looking for something new, consider the Nine Hundred Two V3.

Unless I'm doing something wrong, I've always had trouble with cable management with that case. I always have a bunch of cables under the hard drive bays that I can't seem to put anywhere else. And the fact that there are no gromits annoys me.

I want a full tower so that I have more room to work with when I actually do have to play in the computer. I don't really mind if it's heavy as my current one is pretty heavy already anyway. I do however, not really need more hard drive bays as I only have 3 at the moment, maybe possibly 4 in the future.

I found the Thermaltake Chaser MK-1 to be quite nice in terms of features, a lot of stuff that I like in there. I wonder if there is a mid tower version of this tower or perhaps something that has virtually the same features.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
I always have a bunch of cables under the hard drive bays that I can't seem to put anywhere else.
Well, many would say that is what modular PSUs are for. Personally, I don't have a problem stuffing spare cables in empty drive bays.
And the fact that there are no gromits annoys me.
As for grommets, yeah, that older Nine Hundred doesn't have any. Grommets are nice but they really don't serve a significant function - at least not on a well made case where the cut sheet metal edges are rounded or otherwise smooth. And of course, tying back cables will keep them from rubbing and cutting the insulation too.

It sounds to me, however, that you just want a new case. And I can understand that.

TT does have a couple mid towers in the Chaser Series with the A41 most resembling the MK-1.

System Name BK-201
Motherboard GA-Z270X-UG
Audio Device(s) N/A
Well, many would say that is what modular PSUs are for. Personally, I don't have a problem stuffing spare cables in empty drive bays.
As for grommets, yeah, that older Nine Hundred doesn't have any. Grommets are nice but they really don't serve a significant function - at least not on a well made case where the cut sheet metal edges are rounded or otherwise smooth. And of course, tying back cables will keep them from rubbing and cutting the insulation too.

It sounds to me, however, that you just want a new case. And I can understand that.

TT does have a couple mid towers in the Chaser Series with the A41 most resembling the MK-1.

I have had this case for a long time, almost as long as I have had my own computer so it is the oldest part on my computer. I've come to realize that having no hole next to the power supply kind of sucks, least for me.
Don't get me wrong it is a fine case, definitely served me well all those years but yes I do want a new one that is easier on playing inside the computer.

I think I might just wait for the new case for now though, at least whenever I'm sure that issue won't arise again because karma you know.
Always the same thing it seems, whenever you think your problem is fixed, you get comfortable and then boom it happens again and then you gotta buy new parts, etc, etc.

Haha just ranting here sorry, I'll check that A41 out though, because full towers are a bit on the expensive side (especially in Canada haha) thanks!

As for that issue, haven't had anything happen since I installed the new PSU, 5th day today. So far so good, fingers crossed.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
so it is the oldest part on my computer. I've come to realize that having no hole next to the power supply kind of sucks, least for me.
Don't get me wrong it is a fine case, definitely served me well all those years but yes I do want a new one that is easier on playing inside the computer.
lol That is one of the problems with doing your homework and buying a quality case in the first place - they last forever!