• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

OFFICIAL Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain (Review)

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
It's a game made for consoles and game pads it's very playable with an Xbox pad

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Actually no, the least I worry about when it comes to poor porting is frame lock, because usually there's an easy file edit workaround. Worse case scenario is they issue a patch like Tango did with TEW, because most PC players if it's not hackable shout their disapproval and it gets changed.

I'm talking about the horrid control scheme restrictions we were discussing above regarding not being able to even walk using a keyboard (which kills stealth), and mouse support could be a lot better. The control menu or readout is also very consolized apparently. I've read that the menu doesn't support mouse and even if you have no gamepad connected you'll see Start, LT, X, Y etc.

This is just pathetic for a massive AAA title to crap on PC to this level.
Meh. IF the controls were not the way they are (and I've got 43 hours in the game)m it'd be a great disservice to the MG heritage. The game is nearly perfect in my eyes. If you can't handle how screwed up the game is control-wise, then the game is not for you, since that's just how Kojima games have ALWAYS been.

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Storage Samsung SM961 256GB + HGST 1TB
Display(s) 1080p IPS G-SYNC 75Hz
Audio Device(s) Bang & Olufsen
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
I'd like to see vsync off when doing performance benchmarks because reasons.

But then all my charts would just say 99% 99% 99% and nobody would learn anything. The purpose of those is to show what hardware is required to get 60FPS. The FPS benchies are done without VSync on always, the only time they say 60 max is if the max FPS is capped.

As for the screen tearing, yeah. I've reviewed so many games with 60FPS caps I've become delirious when I get the option :D If your game is capped at 60FPS, I don't see the point in giving an end user the choice to turn VSync off at all.

Meh. IF the controls were not the way they are (and I've got 43 hours in the game)m it'd be a great disservice to the MG heritage. The game is nearly perfect in my eyes. If you can't handle how screwed up the game is control-wise, then the game is not for you, since that's just how Kojima games have ALWAYS been.

I admit, the control scheme is less retarded than MGS 2, which until Phantom Pain, was my favourite.

Sneaking is a big part of the gameplay

Not if you unlock the rocket launcher and grenade launcher immediately. Then you can complete the entire game on horseback, carpet bombing every base in sight.

Last edited:
When the heck did next power up get a youtube page?
40 odd cassette tapes un-listened to? You know that's where 99% of the exposition comes from? Btw you can shower at the base; just use the map to locate a portable shower on a platform to wash off blood. I did read that doing lots of bad stuff can gain you unwashable blood stains until you do more heroic actions, however i have never personally come across this in game.

For the written portion of the review, your use of commas is bloody disjointing. Please use more semi colons or just rewrite sentences. There was a lot of incorrect usage of double commas which are like parenthesis but with commas instead of brackets. Parenthasis eg extra information in a sentence not particularly prominent or as important to the rest of the sentence.

The video wasn't too bad although i felt it was more of gameplay interjected with the odd overview of the mechanics, than a review of the game like the written portion was.

System Name HELLSTAR
Processor AMD RYZEN 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS Strix X570-E
Cooling 2x 360 + 280 rads. 3x Gentle Typhoons, 3x Phanteks T30, 2x TT T140 . EK-Quantum Momentum Monoblock.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB F4-4133C19D-16GTZR 14-16-12-30-44
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX + under waterblock.
Storage Optane 900P[W11] + WD BLACK SN850X 4TB + 750 EVO 500GB + 1TB 980PRO[FEDORA]
Display(s) Philips PHL BDM3270 + Acer XV242Y
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow V3 - Yellow Switch
Software FEDORA 39 / Windows 11 insider
Aye, grammar NAZI alert. :D

The controls matured in Snake Eater when CQC was first introduced. I do not understand the control complaint's. It ain't a FPS shooter only. In any game after an hour our brain does their own driver update and everything is alright... :D. My usual problem is the driver wrapper seeing Xbox control signs mapped to Sony symbols :D.

About that shower... well... at least better than eating a Vulture... and if you catch one who fed before on human bodies(killed by yourself) it will regain more stamina :D, afterwards you got noted by Sorrow - that... it was actually a very bad thing to do :D. In first MGS I got complaints about my mental health from Naomi after killing a dozen rats... :D

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
When the heck did next power up get a youtube page?
40 odd cassette tapes un-listened to? You know that's where 99% of the exposition comes from? Btw you can shower at the base; just use the map to locate a portable shower on a platform to wash off blood. I did read that doing lots of bad stuff can gain you unwashable blood stains until you do more heroic actions, however i have never personally come across this in game.

For the written portion of the review, your use of commas is bloody disjointing. Please use more semi colons or just rewrite sentences. There was a lot of incorrect usage of double commas which are like parenthesis but with commas instead of brackets. Parenthasis eg extra information in a sentence not particularly prominent or as important to the rest of the sentence.

The video wasn't too bad although i felt it was more of gameplay interjected with the odd overview of the mechanics, than a review of the game like the written portion was.

I am an obsessive compulsive comma user. It takes a lot of force to not use them, but duly noted. (In fact I've gone through my current review text to ensure commas are where they need to be, with only a single additional clause in simple sentences). As for the video review, couldn't agree more. Things kept happening which caught me off balance. Running the next review video tonight, which will hopefully be a bit more compartmentalised and a hell of a lot shorter too.

Last edited by a moderator:
System Name Windows 10 64-bit Core i7 6700
Processor Intel Core i7 6700
Motherboard Asus Z170M-PLUS
Cooling Corsair AIO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Kingston DDR4 2666
Video Card(s) Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB, Seagate Baracuda 1 TB
Display(s) Dell P2414H
Case Corsair Carbide Air 540
Audio Device(s) Realtek HD Audio
Power Supply Corsair TX v2 650W
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Keyboard CM Storm Quickfire Pro, Cherry MX Reds
Software MS Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
The FPS benchies are done without VSync on always, the only time they say 60 max is if the max FPS is capped.
Isn't there an option to turn off fps limiter in MGS5 ... my whole comment was based on that assumption.

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
Isn't there an option to turn off fps limiter in MGS5 ... my whole comment was based on that assumption.

Via an .ini file yes, but that's not helpful to joe-public. It need to be in the game settings. Not including it is entirely stupid.

System Name Darkside
Processor R7 3700X
Motherboard Aorus Elite X570
Cooling Deepcool Gammaxx l240
Memory Thermaltake Toughram DDR4 3600MHz CL18
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RX Vega 64 Gaming OC
Storage ADATA & WD 500GB NVME PCIe 3.0, many WD Black 1-3TB HD
Display(s) Samsung C27JG5x
Case Thermaltake Level 20 XL
Audio Device(s) iFi xDSD / micro iTube2 / micro iCAN SE
Power Supply EVGA 750W G2
Mouse Corsair M65
Keyboard Corsair K70 LUX RGB
Benchmark Scores Not sure, don't care
I'm talking about the horrid control scheme restrictions we were discussing above regarding not being able to even walk using a keyboard (which kills stealth), and mouse support could be a lot better. The control menu or readout is also very consolized apparently. I've read that the menu doesn't support mouse and even if you have no gamepad connected you'll see Start, LT, X, Y etc.

This is just pathetic for a massive AAA title to crap on PC to this level.

That is simply not correct. When there is no gamepad connected the games does in fact shows the correct keyboard controls. As for walking/running, uhm left control is the toggle. Perhaps this was corrected after the day one patch, but I can assure you the game is not that lame towards PC users.

Why are you using a keyboard/mouse for a 3rd person game anyway? Massive fail as controllers are $15 for a dual analogue Logitech.

:toast:

System Name Darkside
Processor R7 3700X
Motherboard Aorus Elite X570
Cooling Deepcool Gammaxx l240
Memory Thermaltake Toughram DDR4 3600MHz CL18
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RX Vega 64 Gaming OC
Storage ADATA & WD 500GB NVME PCIe 3.0, many WD Black 1-3TB HD
Display(s) Samsung C27JG5x
Case Thermaltake Level 20 XL
Audio Device(s) iFi xDSD / micro iTube2 / micro iCAN SE
Power Supply EVGA 750W G2
Mouse Corsair M65
Keyboard Corsair K70 LUX RGB
Benchmark Scores Not sure, don't care
Great review. I enjoy heading to TPU and seeing a game review of a game I am playing in amongst the other goodness.

Just want to add that performance wise, this game is very optimized for PC. A single HD7950 3GB OC'd has no problems keeping a steady 50-60fps at 1200P max settings. For Crossfire stock speeds each GPU is only at 65% and is a solid 60fps. I will note though, you have to use the CFX profile for MGS Ground Zero as the current AMD drivers don't include one.

:toast:

System Name Space Station
Processor Intel 13700K
Motherboard ASRock Z790 PG Riptide
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420
Memory Corsair Vengeance 6400 2x16GB @ CL34
Video Card(s) PNY RTX 4080
Storage SSDs - Nextorage 4TB, Samsung EVO 970 500GB, Plextor M5Pro 128GB, HDDs - WD Black 6TB, 2x 1TB
Display(s) LG C3 OLED 42"
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V371
Power Supply SeaSonic Vertex 1200w Gold
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
Software Windows 11 Pro 23H2
That is simply not correct. When there is no gamepad connected the games does in fact shows the correct keyboard controls. As for walking/running, uhm left control is the toggle. Perhaps this was corrected after the day one patch, but I can assure you the game is not that lame towards PC users.

Why are you using a keyboard/mouse for a 3rd person game anyway? Massive fail as controllers are $15 for a dual analogue Logitech.

It's looking like maybe it was a patch at some point. I've been playing Ground Zeroes lately since you can get it cheap and it's therefore less of a risk. The controls are a bit strange, but not as bad as I expected after hearing the complaints about MSGV in general. The weird thing is though, I got stuck in walk mode at one point having forgotten which control it was (must have inadvertently hit L Ctrl), but while it was like that the map crosshair was frozen in one spot and would only spin around that point no matter what. Going back to run fixed it.

On the release version though it seems I have to hold vs toggle L Ctrl to walk. The 1.005 version caused crashing problems for me though. It's not a bad game except for these problems. I don't particularly like the game map, not free moving enough. I also find having to press F while holding RMB just to get iron sights vs crosshairs is strange. I'd prefer a setting in the menu to choose between a tighter over the shoulder reticule, or iron sights aim when using RMB.

I also agree with complaints I've read on Steam that they didn't properly scale the sensitivity when zoomed in with binocs. I'm constantly knocking my mouse DPI down a couple ticks when I zoom in to mark enemies. Overall the game has more pluses than minuses I guess, and as far as Japanese developed games in general, it's about as good as you can expect, since so many are unpolished in that regard, esp for KB/M.

As far as KB/M vs gamepad, it's entirely subjective to what one is used to. I can play pretty much any third person game I choose to buy with KB/M just fine, while others that feel strange with them are at a loss. That is something that's more the player than the game, provided of course KB/M is adequately supported.

Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asus b450F ROG Strix
Cooling 3 case fans plus deepcool maxx V2 cpu heatsink
Memory 16 GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX 3060 TI
Storage 3 SSD's, 1 Samsung 970 Evo NVME and 2 sata (Crucial 1 TB and ADATA 480 GB) and 2 sata hardrives
Display(s) 27 inch Asus 75hz gaming monitor
Case NZXT h500i black
Power Supply Corsair cx650m 650 watt psu
Mouse Corsair M65 Pro RGB
Keyboard Inland RGB mechanical keyboard with blue optical switches.
Software windows 10 64 bit
Game is amazing, the best game i have played in a long time but mgs is my favorite game series of all time so I am a bit biased. Also the game runs extremely well on my pc better than some games from 2 to 3 years ago. running a mix of high and extra high settings and runs between 40 and 60 fps most of the time but I did notice some big frame rate drops on one mission where i was in a huge open area with lots of geomotry and about 15 or more enemies on screen at once.

System Name Juliette // HTPC
Processor Intel i7 9700K // AMD Ryzen 5 5600G
Motherboard ASUS Prime Z390X-A // ASRock B550 ITX-AC
Cooling Noctua NH-U12 Black // Stock
Memory Corsair DDR4 3600 32gb //G.SKILL Trident Z Royal Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3600
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX4070 OC// GTX 1650
Storage Samsung 970 EVO NVMe 1Tb, Intel 665p Series M.2 2280 1TB // Samsung 1Tb SSD
Display(s) ASUS VP348QGL 34" Quad HD 3440 x 1440 // 55" LG 4K SK8000 Series
Case Seasonic SYNCRO Q7// Silverstone Granada GD05
Audio Device(s) Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 // HDMI to Samsung HW-R650 sound bar
Power Supply Seasonic SYNCRO 750 W // CORSAIR Vengeance 650M
Mouse Cooler Master MM710 53G
Keyboard Logitech 920-009300 G512 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro // Windows 10 Pro
I have a Phantom pain in my ass

Processor Intel 13700K
Storage SSDs - Nextorage 4TB, Samsung EVO 970 500GB, Plextor M5Pro 128GB, HDDs - WD Black 6TB, 2x 1TB
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
I'm getting stuck moving forward every once in a while in Ground Zeroes. Going in and out of the Tab function fixes it, but it can get you spotted before you manage to do that sometimes.

Key bindings are another weak area in Ground Zeroes. I just read through a Steam thread on the game where some are using Auto Hotkey to force certain keys and mouse buttons that are locked in the control menu to remap.

The default bindings for CQC is a primary example. They actually have you holding down RMB and Q, while simultaneously needing to reach the arrow keys to issue CQC commands.

Why are Japanese developers always so clueless and/or apathetic about PC support? Then again they had a long stint of exclusivity with Sony, so they've probably still got PlayStation on the brain.

Does anyone have these problems in Phantom Pain? If so I'll consider it a Pain in the Ass as mentioned, and wait for bargain bin prices.

System Name Workstation
Processor Intel Core-i9 9960x
Motherboard Asus WS X299 SAGE
Cooling Custom
Memory Crucial Ballistix 128 GB (8 x BL2K16G36C16U4B)
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3
Storage Intel Optane 905P (SSDPED1D015TAX1), Sabrent Rocket 2 TB, 4 x HGST DC HC530
Display(s) NEC PA272W-BK-SV, Eizo CG2700S-BK
Case Custom
Audio Device(s) Asus Essence STX II, Sony WH-1000XM
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME Platinum 1200 W
Mouse Logicool G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard Logicool G810
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, several Adobe software
I kinda like sneaking games like Deus Ex and Splinter Cell. I assume MGS is similar?
Well MGS was the mother of them actually... :D
The origin of casual tactical stealth action, as I always told my friends. It is designed to be a relaxed and serious stealth experience at the same time. In other words, it is good for your health. :D

Yup! Sneaking is a big part of the gameplay...probably the major part.
You mean the lack of ammunition :D
I think he means the "cover".

On a serious note, has mouse look been improved in The Phantom Pain? In Ground Zeroes, the more you zoom with the scope the more stuttering the mouse moves. It was like skipping pixels. One slight move of the mouse and the crosshair move about a half centimeter in full zoom. The issue does not exist when using a Xbox 360 game controller.

Processor i7 4790
Motherboard Asrock Z97 ITX
Cooling Corsair A50 (CPU) and Antec Kuhler 620 (GPU)
Memory G. Skill 8GB 1866
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 290X
Storage OCZ SSD and 1TB Hardrive
Display(s) Dell S2415h
Case Cheap Cougar Case
Power Supply Corsair 650w PSU
Software Windows 10
On a serious note, has mouse look been improved in The Phantom Pain? In Ground Zeroes, the more you zoom with the scope the more stuttering the mouse moves. It was like skipping pixels. One slight move of the mouse and the crosshair move about a half centimeter in full zoom. The issue does not exist when using a Xbox 360 game controller.

That is fixed. The made sniping impossible on GZ, but everything works as it should in TPP.

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Dell 27 inch 1440p 144 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
I've never played a MGS game before but I got the game for free on a video card purchase so I will give it a try first with M/K and if it's too awkward then with my Xbox controller. I suspect I will be laughing at the AI a few times. Hiding under boxes and running around. NPC looks around and box is 10 feet away. Turns around. Looks again and box is 2 feet away. NPC thinks, probably nothing unusual about that. :p

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix
this is why i own a console. PC Master Race is a myth. The true master race are those who own both PC and console!!!!

System Name HELLSTAR
Processor AMD RYZEN 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS Strix X570-E
Cooling 2x 360 + 280 rads. 3x Gentle Typhoons, 3x Phanteks T30, 2x TT T140 . EK-Quantum Momentum Monoblock.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB F4-4133C19D-16GTZR 14-16-12-30-44
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX + under waterblock.
Storage Optane 900P[W11] + WD BLACK SN850X 4TB + 750 EVO 500GB + 1TB 980PRO[FEDORA]
Display(s) Philips PHL BDM3270 + Acer XV242Y
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow V3 - Yellow Switch
Software FEDORA 39 / Windows 11 insider
Via an .ini file yes, but that's not helpful to joe-public. It need to be in the game settings. Not including it is entirely stupid.

I do not agree... as a PC gamer, such things are essential... since... I even cannot remember when... on console... yes... no options that's bad. But if there is is ini, commands line option left to played with, those who desire it are advanced enough to find and use it, the devs left those options unlocked for a reason. For example I am trying again to mod to teeth GTA4 and finish it at last... Well... without community/hack support I even could not launch the game due to xlive deficit. And doing so it gives PC gaming another thing that often is missed. The skyrim syndrome :D. Mod the game and you can finish it twice in quite different fashion as it used to be. Tweaking the game to the bits of your hardware profile is a normal thing for a proper PC user I suppose.

But MGS wise... well

Why are Japanese developers always so clueless and/or apathetic about PC support

Gosh... the mechanics are exactly as they have always been, if different old supporter army would start to argue. And those old fans are the ones to whom we have to thank that this franchise continues. And I have zero problems with the controls... You get used to them fast...

Processor Intel 13700K
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
Gosh... the mechanics are exactly as they have always been, if different old supporter army would start to argue. And those old fans are the ones to whom we have to thank that this franchise continues. And I have zero problems with the controls... You get used to them fast...

I could show you the threads on Steam forums about their having done things like make certain key functions non map-able, but they're easy enough to find. The worst of which IMO is the horrible CQC command I never use in Ground Zeroes because they actually have you holding Q and RMB, and simultaneously trying to use the arrow keys to select the command. And yes, that is plain idiotic that they do stuff like that. It's clear to me they really only test gamepad controls.

I'm sure a lot of PC players that don't complain about controls are using a gamepad without even saying so. This is what PC gaming has come to. Most PC players are far too passive to expect any level of quality porting.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
I could show you the threads on Steam forums about their having done things like make certain key functions non map-able, but they're easy enough to find. The worst of which IMO is the horrible CQC command I never use in Ground Zeroes because they actually have you holding Q and RMB, and simultaneously trying to use the arrow keys to select the command. And yes, that is plain idiotic that they do stuff like that. It's clear to me they really only test gamepad controls.

I'm sure a lot of PC players that don't complain about controls are using a gamepad without even saying so. This is what PC gaming has come to. Most PC players are far too passive to expect any level of quality porting.
That's part of the game challenge is having difficult controls. You are supposed to be fumbling and having issues making those button presses, as it adds to the tension. The fact you are complaining, or anyone else is, says that it has been executed perfectly. If you don't appreciate that, it does not apologize. There is so much in this game, that, if not done just the right way, never works. Your fingers are supposed to be in some spazzed-out position executing some crazy maneuver...

Processor Intel 13700K
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
That's part of the game challenge is having difficult controls. You are supposed to be fumbling and having issues making those button presses, as it adds to the tension. The fact you are complaining, or anyone else is, says that it has been executed perfectly. If you don't appreciate that, it does not apologize. There is so much in this game, that, if not done just the right way, never works. Your fingers are supposed to be in some spazzed-out position executing some crazy maneuver...

LOL, reading this just makes me face palm. You're totally glossing over the fact that gamepads are better supported both via onscreen prompts and function listing in the control menu. So what then, only PC players need this fumbly jumbly design?

It's a simple case of poor PC support, and it's common with Japanese developers. Mikami did the same thing even with the mega popular RE4. They simply don't focus as much on PC, until they start getting flooded with complaints. Example, to execute a point and aim CQC in Ground Zeroes you had to hold RMB and Q down, then press an arrow key to issue the command you want. It was an almost impossible reach even for those with large hands. In The Phantom Pain they changed command selection from arrow keys to 1-4 keys, which are FAR easier to reach while holding down Q. They did that because after MANY complaints, they realized they f*cked up. They also changed the binoculars to being more steady when zooming. In Ground Zeroes you actually have to lower the DPI on your mouse because zoom is so squirrely. These are things that should be obvious in initial design.

No dev in their right mind purposely makes such controls pretty much unreachable for anyone with medium or smaller hands, or in the case of binoc zoom, too shaky without sensitivity adjustment. It simply wasn't play tested well on PC. You get enough challenge from the AI in a game like this without gimping controls. That is a very short sighted analogy. What you're implying actually goes against quality control and is oblivious to the inconsistency of control from one platform to another.

Anyway, for those playing on PC with KB/M, here's a guide I copied from a site that wrote a guide on PC controls for TPP, which attempts to pick up the slack left behind by Kojima and his crew of merry misfits. It does not however include some things, like the aforementioned point and aim method of CQC, and how it differs from that in Ground Zeroes.

Basic Controls:

Hold F - Allows you to go into first person, with no weapons drawn this will bring out your binoculars.
Hold Left Ctrl - Walk pace, allows you to move slowly.
C - Press C allows you to crouch, if crouched you stand. Hold C Allows you to prone, if prone you stand.
Mouse - Left Mouse Button (LMB) fires and Right Mouse Button (RMB) aims, nothing abnormal there.
Q - Allows you to call for help on the radio.
Left-click (unarmed) - Initiates CQC, and holding allows you to grab opponent.
E - Climb, get in vehicle.
WASD - Standard movement and vehicle control (W accelerate, S break reverse).
Space - With no weapon drawn you dive to the ground in the direction you are moving.
Tab - Press to bring up iDroid system, which is an all in one map, mission objectives and tapes playing device.
1 - Selects primary weapon, hold to modify.
2 - Selects secondary weapon, hold to modify.
3 - Selects grenade type, hold to pick type.
4 - Switches to night vision.
When the Controls are Fiddly
One thing which is worth noting is that the mouse does not work for the menus, not an issue as arrow keys or WASD keys work just fine.

The controls become fiddly when dealing with grappling or using the games inventory system.

Grappling:

To initiate a grapple you hold LMB, when near an enemy, with no weapon drawn. You now have a choice of what to do, interrogate, knockout or kill.

Interrogate - You press Q to initiate the interrogation, now you have to use the arrow keys to select the question to ask. But be sure not to let go of Q otherwise you will let go of the prisoner. When you have finished you questioning you let go of Q and quickly hold LMB again to get back to the initial options.
Knockout - Simply tap the LMB, it's slightly counter intuitive to let of the button, but not difficult to pull of.
Kill - Simply press E to kill and done.

Inventory:

You can do several things with the inventory, but every PC gamer knows how to switch weapons, so I am going to talk about modification of those weapons.

Holding down the key for a gun, which would be 1 or 2, allows you to do two basic modifications - remove/add light or remove/add suppressor. These use X and Y, I can imagine on a controller this inventory system working very well, but on keyboard it's a bit of a pain to start with.

iDroid:

Using the iDroid is easy when you get your head wrapped around it.

I found just experimenting with buttons, and looking at the screen allows you to work out what to do. It falls down with the system for changing pages, which use keys 1 and 3.

When you want to call for a helicopter, or go into Walkman menu you need to change the page. I found that using WASD, Space, and Escape (to go back) to be the most effective way to navigate through the iDroid.

This kind of thing wouldn't even be necessary if they'd paid more attention to PC support in the first place. The majority of consoles originated in Japan, and that's still where the mindset of Japanese developers are.

Last edited by a moderator:
Processor Intel 13700K
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
Only 47% complete, so no complaints from me.

I'm not implying it's a bad game, it excels at a lot of things. It's just that Japanese devs are very slow to give PC the proper support, about as slow as American car manufacturers were at making their engines as efficient and reliable as they do.

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Dell 27 inch 1440p 144 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10

Only 47% complete, so no complaints from me.

You said last year, while defending the silly ass Titan Z, that you have 3 X GTX 780 Ti and you rarely ever play games. Why bother chiming in on games then?