• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

PCi-e Riser (Memory)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Processor Intel i7-5820K @ 4.5Ghz (1.284v , 25*C)
Motherboard ASRock Fatal1ty X99X Killer
Cooling NZXT Kraken X61
Memory G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 Series 32GB
Video Card(s) EVGA GeForce GTX 970 SC - Blower fan
Case Corsair Carbide Series Air 540
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar Essence STX
Power Supply Corsair TX850
Benchmark Scores Rosewill RHSP-13001: Complete system with dual lcd and peripherals @LOAD ~$35/Mo.
I think people are getting excited over using the wrong terminology.
If I'm not mistaken, you're looking for a kind of PCIe ramdisk adapter. The reason why you'd prefer this over a SSD is that you have memory laying around that you'd like to put to some kind of use.

Personally, I'd recommend just selling any extra memory you have and using that to fund a PCIe SSD such as this one by Intel. If you have enough memory to be useful as a ramdisk, you'll almost certainly get better value trading it for a PCIe SSD.

M.2 drives are just SSDs in a much more convenient form factor. SSDs were put in the shape of a 2.5" hard drive to help with adoption/compatibility.

You hit the nail on the head, but that's still PCI and not PCIe. It's still technically a riser whichever way you look at it... it's an addon card. Again, this is a PCI addon card, however, and it's still quite expensive, I can only suspect the PCI ramdisk adapter is that high only due to its name, and market availability Gigabyte GC-RAMDISK i-RAM 4 GB Hard Drive, Amazon, 1 new from $1,688.53. A motherboard has more complicated circuitry, and what I was speaking about. Realistically speaking, cost wise, it shouldn't cost no more than a mid-range GPU, if not less.

The PCIe SSD cards when I last checked were above $1,000 and were fairly expensive, but from the link you provided it seems to have gone down considerably to $349 plus a rebate. I'm unsure of the speeds, but did a quick search and seems to be somewhat negligible to RAMDisk speeds, not quite tho. RAMDisk can get up to 6k - 8k.

http://www.legitreviews.com/intel-ssd-750-nvme-pcie-ssd-review_161829/5

Thanks for the input, xvi! Not exactly what I was after, but more specifically PCIe and the fact that Intel really drove down the price for that SSD drive. :) Kotos! Though, I wish Aquinus hadn't gotten all bent over shape over nothing. :laugh:

PCI, not PCIe
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815168001

Last edited:
Reactions: xvi
Processor Intel i5-6600
Motherboard ASRock H170M-ITX
Cooling Cooler Master Geminii S524
Memory G.Skill DDR4-2133 16GB (8GB x 2)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte R9-380X 4GB
Storage Samsung 950 EVO 250GB (mSATA)
Display(s) LG 29UM69G-B 2560x1080 IPS
Case Lian Li PC-Q25
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC892
Power Supply Seasonic SS-460FL2
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech G110
Software Windows 10 Pro
There were more products in the past because we were more limited in the past. The few remaining cases for RAM-based storage are fulfilled by the few remaining products out there.

The problem with your scenarios is that they don't exist in reality. This is probably why you have trouble understanding why such products have been in decline since the early 2000s.

System Name Rainbow
Processor Intel Core i7 8700k
Motherboard MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC
Cooling Corsair H115i, 2x Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC-3000 PWM
Memory G. Skill TridentZ RGB 4x8GB (F4-3600C16Q-32GTZR)
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GeForce RTX 3090 Trinity
Storage 2x Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | 2xHGST Deskstar 4TB 7.2K
Display(s) Samsung C27HG70
Case Xigmatek Aquila
Power Supply Seasonic 760W SS-760XP
Mouse Razer Deathadder 2013
Keyboard Corsair Vengeance K95
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 4 trillion points in GmailMark, over 144 FPS 2K Facebook Scrolling (Extreme Quality preset)
but that's still PCI and not PCIe.
Should be PCIe, it's just a 4x slot instead of a 16x slot. Still fits in to and is electrically compatible with a PCIe 16x slot and is still blazing fast. Intel makes things a little pricier than they need to be sometimes, so

Wait, unless you mean you want one that's just PCI. That bus is waaaay too slow to be useful for much of anything (to the tune of ~133MB/s), trumped even by the original SATA.

I don't think you'd find a whole lot in the way of a RAMdisk new, certainly not on the cheap. I'd check the good ol' eBay for something used.

upload_2015-9-16_21-25-49.png

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Pro V2
Cooling Enermax ETX-T50RGB
Memory CL16 BL2K16G36C16U4RL 3600 1:1 micron e-die
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE RTX 3070 Ti GAMING OC
Storage ADATA SX8200PRO NVME 512GB, Intel 545s 500GBSSD, ADATA SU800 SSD, 3TB Spinner
Display(s) LG Ultra Gear 32 1440p 165hz Dell 1440p 75hz
Case Phanteks P300 /w 300A front panel conversion
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus+ Platinum 750W
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
Software Windows 11 +startisallback
You hit the nail on the head, but that's still PCI and not PCIe. It's still technically a riser whichever way you look at it... it's an addon card. Again, this is a PCI addon card, however, and it's still quite expensive, I can only suspect the PCI ramdisk adapter is that high only due to its name, and market availability Gigabyte GC-RAMDISK i-RAM 4 GB Hard Drive, Amazon, 1 new from $1,688.53. A motherboard has more complicated circuitry, and what I was speaking about. Realistically speaking, cost wise, it shouldn't cost no more than a mid-range GPU, if not less.

The PCIe SSD cards when I last checked were above $1,000 and were fairly expensive, but from the link you provided it seems to have gone down considerably to $349 plus a rebate. I'm unsure of the speeds, but did a quick search and seems to be somewhat negligible to RAMDisk speeds, not quite tho. RAMDisk can get up to 6k - 8k.

http://www.legitreviews.com/intel-ssd-750-nvme-pcie-ssd-review_161829/5

Thanks for the input, xvi! Not exactly what I was after, but more specifically PCIe and the fact that Intel really drove down the price for that SSD drive. :) Kotos! Though, I wish Aquinus hadn't gotten all bent over shape over nothing. :laugh:

PCI, not PCIe
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815168001
guess what that card is SATA
it just draws power from the PCI slot
the more you post the more I realise you have no frigging clue what you are talking about

dorsetknob

"YOUR RMA REQUEST IS CON-REFUSED"
Dorset where else eh? >>> Thats ENGLAND<<<
this thread is going nowhere

UNSCRIBED

Processor Intel i7-5820K @ 4.5Ghz (1.284v , 25*C)
Motherboard ASRock Fatal1ty X99X Killer
Cooling NZXT Kraken X61
Memory G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 Series 32GB
Video Card(s) EVGA GeForce GTX 970 SC - Blower fan
Case Corsair Carbide Series Air 540
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar Essence STX
Power Supply Corsair TX850
Benchmark Scores Rosewill RHSP-13001: Complete system with dual lcd and peripherals @LOAD ~$35/Mo.
There were more products in the past because we were more limited in the past. The few remaining cases for RAM-based storage are fulfilled by the few remaining products out there.

The problem with your scenarios is that they don't exist in reality. This is probably why you have trouble understanding why such products have been in decline since the early 2000s.

That's why I stated it's fairly a moot advance. The amount of RAM needed to exceed an SSD drive for the use of fast storage at a reasonable price is negligible. Even if someone did have 200+ DDR1/2/3 ram modules laying around, it's a niche, a hobbyist product than anything. Well, in today's world.

this thread is going nowhere

UNSCRIBED

No problem.... it's people like yourself with a brain the size of a pea who are incapable of comprehending the application for such technology. Yet, it was people like yourself who screamed that SSD's were going no where, COSTLY, and it made more sense to people like yourself to stock up on mechanical drives. In any case the 64GB X25e was one of the cheapest SSD's when they first came out.

I see a lot of application for this, despite the fact that it's costly and not very practical today. Anyway, I see a lot of haters and lamos within this thread. :)

Least to say I have an Engineer friend and he's really into this stuff.

Found a quote from someone with a bit of knowledge... the idea isn't practical but it'll kick any SSD's ass.

RAM based media only works in a world where old RAM is stupidly low priced. I mean, shit, single channel PC133 SDRAM can throw 800 MB/s in both directions with a latency of about 60 ns - lower if you're banging columns. That's the kind of performance an SSD would sell its grandmother for. In this world, we would have a bizzaro-universe i-RAM with 16 slots and drop 512 MB in each slot. That's 8 GB, dirt cheap, and maybe enough to be useful for... a single game?

We don't live in that world and old RAM is not low priced. Using current RAM as a storage medium is a bit stupid, when you could just add it to the motherboard instead.

A modern-day i-RAM would probably use DDR3-1333. Dropping in four 4 GB modules (the cheapest) gets you a grand total of 16 GB. What you going to do with that? Even greatly abusing the DDR3 spec and using 16 slots still only gets us 64 GB. The same money could buy us a LOT of SSD. http://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1245395

Last edited by a moderator:

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
@Freezer how do you know what @dorsetknob was saying or screaming about SSD's? All I see here is you insulting someone.

You decide to pitch an idea that has already been done, back when systens NEEDED it. They don't now, and if something as gargantuan(compared to the old stuff) were needed now, the major companies filled with computer science engineers and electrical engineers would have pitched it.

Thus, the thread is going nowhere because you keep telling us it can be done. Fine, do it then. Patent it, and get it made.

Until then, I'm unsubscribing also.

Last edited:
System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
Oh my god it's another thread like this. I think I'm going back to my hippie commune where people talk without insulting each other. (It's called Evergreen state college, and if they didn't have that creepy geoduck mascot staring at me, it'd be almost nice here).

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Processor Rocket Lake Core i5 11600K @ 5 Ghz with PL tweaks
Motherboard MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120SE + 4 Phanteks 140mm case fans
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB SR) Patriot Viper Steel 4133Mhz DDR4 @ 3600Mhz CL14@1.45v Gear 1
Video Card(s) Asus Dual RTX 4070 OC
Storage WD Blue SN550 1TB M.2 NVME//Crucial MX500 500GB SSD (OS)
Display(s) AOC Q2781PQ 27 inch Ultra Slim 2560 x 1440 IPS
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Windowed - Gunmetal
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC1200/SPDIF to Sony AVR @ 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM650w Gold Semi modular
Mouse Coolermaster Storm Octane wired
Keyboard Element Gaming Carbon Mk2 Tournament Mech
Software Win 10 Home x64
Seems this has turned into mayhem and mess, best be gone, thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.