• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The sweetspot- i5 6600K - sept 2015 - Starter Build

Me thinks that this is not a troll, but someone that genuinely believes what they are saying. Unfortunately, sometimes our reach exceeds our abilities and we need help. It's time we offer a helping hand, rather than scorn.

Qualify the statements, with what you see.
1) The CPU isn't the highest end i7, but it is a k series. Overclocking is viable, but no hyperthreading means limited professional uses.
2) Storage is...odd. Rather than a RAID array, they focused on a huge single drive. Great performance from the SSDs for programs/OS and a single drive for "Blu-rays." Fishy, cost inefficient, but not entirely unreasonable for a completely unaware user. Sometimes, only having one storage drive is worth the huge bump up in cost.
3) 970 GPU is a great budget option. Easily plays 1080p content, which is in line with most users current requirements. I'm assuming this was chosen because there had to be some concession to "budget" in a starter build.
4) RAM is..completely off base. The idea of more is better is interesting, but after about 8 GB nothing currently on the market uses it. This is a rookie misuse of funds, but not entirely unreasonable for the uninitiated.

I'm tending to agree with other posters, so let's talk. There are
1) Go down to either a 16 GB or 8 GB memory kit. Pricing is much lower, and if you actually need it you can easily upgrade in the future. Right now, 32 GB is insanely overkill.
2) You've got SATA ports and RAID, so use it. For the price of that 8 TB drive ($250) you could have three 3 TB drives, and setup a RAID 5 array. Yes, that's 2 less TB now, but you can have a single drive fail without data loss and you can get 7200 RPM spindle speeds. Honestly, the 8 TB drives are largely unproven and at a price premium. If your data means that little to you, go ahead and go with that single point of catastrophic failure system.
3) Why go for the highest end SSDs? You can't form a RAID 0 array with disparate sized drives, so you're looking at an OS, programs, and storage drive. There are much cheaper SSDs, and the performance isn't appreciably worse from a usage standpoint (even if benchmarks say otherwise). If you wanted raw speed a couple of 512 GB drives in RAID 0 would beat out just about anything on the market.

4) Motherboard choice is... interesting. A starter isn't going to overclock, so why spend more on a motherboard than the CPU? Remember, starter builds assume the user isn't trying to set new overclocking records.
5) That GPU, it makes no sense. Cut $300 out of something else, and you'll have enough to go to a 980ti. Why you'd choose to go for a more budget oriented card, while spending gross sums of money on the SSD, is just unfathomable. The GPU would matter more than the milliseconds you save on storage access speeds with and SSD.
6) OS, monitor, and peripherals; where are they? If this is a starter build, with none of these things, then it isn't a starter build. You could fairly suggest it's a middle range tower build (with a high end tower price), but anything beyond that is just inaccurate.

In fairness, this isn't a well thought out build. You've budgeted too much money in some area, while cutting others to maintain a more "reasonable" budget. It just doesn't make sense. For example, let's look at the Blu-ray storage issue. If you were to fill that 8TB (1000*8=8000 GB) with movies, and each movie was 50 GB (dual layer Blu-ray), that's be 160 movies. At $20 a pop, you're looking at $3200 in movies. You're trusting that much data to a $250 drive, without a backup if you should have a crash.

I just don't think you've thought the build through, and it needs another few revisions. Good initial try, but please don't spend this kind of money without someone reviewing the plans. You'll wind up with less performance, at a higher cost, and that's just silly. For $2300 you should be able to build a fairly high end PC, not a starter model.

I don't think Z170 Deluxe and 32GB of RAM make much sense for such build. In fact, for Skylake CPU's, none of the highest end overclocker boards make much sense. Maybe for 6600K and much less for 6700K, but still, you'll get same overclock from cheaper board. Z170 Deluxe is ridiculously expensive.

johnspack

Here For Good!
System Name System2 Blacknet , System1 Blacknet2
Processor System2 Threadripper 1920x, System1 2699 v3
Motherboard System2 Asrock Fatality x399 Professional Gaming, System1 Asus X99-A
Cooling System2 Noctua NH-U14 TR4-SP3 Dual 140mm fans, System1 AIO
Memory System2 64GBS DDR4 3000, System1 32gbs DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) System2 GTX 980Ti System1 GTX 970
Storage System2 4x SSDs + NVme= 2.250TB 2xStorage Drives=8TB System1 3x SSDs=2TB
Display(s) 2x 24" 1080 displays
Case System2 Some Nzxt case with soundproofing...
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar U7 MKII
Power Supply System2 EVGA 750 Watt, System1 XFX XTR 750 Watt
Mouse Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum
Keyboard Ducky
Software Manjaro, Windows 10, Kubuntu 23.10
Benchmark Scores It's linux baby!
Should be enough for a Skylake-e system... wait, not out yet....

System Name My 1st System Build (Up-Grade #4.5)/ Wife's PC
Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550@3.5GHz / AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ 2.4Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4/ GIGABYTE GA-K8NSNXP-939 socket
Cooling Zalman CNPS9700 110mm CPU Cooler / CM Hyper N520
Memory G.Skill 8GB (4x2GB) DDR2 1066 (PC28500) 5-5-5-15@2.1v/ G.Skill 4GB DDR PC3200 400MHz 2.5CL
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon HD 6970 2GB/ ATi X800 XT PE 256mb
Storage WD Caviar SE16 640GB 7200rpm SATA (x 2) in Raid 0 / Acomdata 500GB external HHD/ WD Raptor 10K 150GB
Display(s) HP LP2465 1920x1200 S-PVA Panel/LG Flatron 20.1/ HP LP2465 1920x1200 S-PVA Panel
Case Lian Li (Lancool) PC-K63 / BMW Aluminum Mid-Tower
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro/ Sound Blaster Audigy2 Z5
Power Supply COUGAR-SX850 850W 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Modular/ Corsair 400w 80 plus certifed psu
Software Windows Vista Ultimate X64 (retail) w/ SP-2/ Windows XP Pro w/ SP-3
Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
Dude has one post... the OP. He has been here nearly daily but still has not replied to his own thread...

Thread needs to be deleted so people don't buy that mess in the first post.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
The lack of attention to this thread, accompanied by a blatant advertisement for certain brands based purely on an N=1 experience... deserves a deletion.

Also in terms of being a sweetspot, this could hardly be further from it.

Dude has one post... the OP. He has been here nearly daily but still has not replied to his own thread...

Thread needs to be deleted so people don't buy that mess in the first post.

I don't think that'll be a problem.

Bucharest is in Romania. Cited sourcing is Newegg largely. Newegg doesn't sell outside the US. This means the target is on people inside the US not smart enough to recognize that the original author is making a personal wish list and doesn't have the technical authority to carry the weight of their suggestions.

I think the average TPU user is smarter than that, and if not this thread is buried under responses of "that idea isn't particularly intelligent." This said, we've managed to rez a functionally dead thread. If nobody added to it it would have died.

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
I think the average TPU user is smarter than that,
LOL.. no. (not a dig on TPU, just the average reader of any tech forum... some I wonder how they manage to breathe involuntarily...others, should be wearing a helmet 24/7 to protect themselves. There are few like us lilh. ;))