• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

70% GPU usage in The Witcher 3 (sli)

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
C) I keep my actual setup and find out how I can take advantage of it to the maximum whilst finding ways in which I can really take advantage of the fact I currently own 2x GTX 980 ti's.
This. I'm not convinced that your platform is incapable of utilizing those 980 Tis. It's not as if your performance is bad either. It's just a case where you might want to push the image quality settings up just to get more out of your GPUs but, expecting ~100 FPS or more on many modern games is a tall order. Also, I don't think that "overclocking" signal refresh rates always has an impact on the rate that the image itself changes. Take my monitors, they all do up to ~75Hz but, a smooth scene will not be smooth after I overclock it, so I let it be. A lot can be done to make a machine that already handles 60 FPS fine to be silky smooth and to look nice. You don't necessarily need more frames to have a better experience.

edit:
Keep it. Accept your system performance for what it is... overkill.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, there's not much you can do to make better use of your system other than DSR (rendering games at higher res then downscaling to chosen res).

Personally, I simply stopped using monitoring apps on my daily rigs, and I just play games? When things get a bit slow or whatever... I just deal with it. I have all the latest-greatest stuff in tech that money can buy, and it is all horribly used, and a vastly overpowered for most workloads. I am still using 780 Tis in SLI... because buying 980 TI's won't offer me much at my chosen 1920x1200x3 and 2560x1600. My current cards exceed 60 FPS in most titles, and anything more than that is useless.

The fact you overclock your monitor... wow. That's a waste of time to me. Buy a real 144 Hz panel, or something. Heck, buy two more monitors, and run three monitors like I do often.

Think about that for a moment. I have 5930K right now, with 780 Ti Sli, and I can play pretty much anything @ 60 FPS on three monitors. Sure, there is one or two titles that don't paly well, but to me, those are purposely coded that way to get people to upgrade. When you compare console gamnig vs PC gaming, and the differences in visual quality vs "horsepower", PC gaming is the worst optimized shit ever.

To me, your approach in system design is totally wrong. mid-range CPU with top-end cards, old ram and PSU and SSDs... so getting the rest of the system up to snuff would be my first focus, and while you don't like the PSU swap idea, it'd be the first thing I do. Having to re-do cable management stopping form a PSU swap is the excuse of a lazy person. They put capacitors on the end of those PSU lines because the PSU is rather crappy without them. :p

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story3&reid=177

Yet, in the end, I'm very picky about the tech I use. I pay for very little of it, so I can afford to be snobbish about this stuff. I think your PSU is garbage, and that's based on having my own. One day it'll probably die like mine did... I simply cannot trust these PSUs.

But again, I'm a PC snob. I write reviews, and I get gear for free. I probably use my PC far differently that you do, so please take my opinion with a huge amount of salt.
Heh, if I waited 5 minutes I could have just agreed with what you had to say. :p

System Name Brutus
Processor i5 4690k @4.7Ghz (Watercooled)
Motherboard z97 MSI Gaming 5
Cooling NZXT Kraken x61 AIO watercooler
Memory Gskill Ripjaws 8gb (2x4gb) 1600mhz 7-8-7-24
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming GTX 980ti x2 (sli)
Storage 1 SSD 64GB (OS) + 2x500GB WesternDigital RAID 0
Display(s) YAMAKASI Catleap q270 SE 27inch Glossy 2560x1440
Case NZXT Phantom
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar DX
Power Supply Antec TPQ 1200w
Software Windows 7 (64 bit)
This. I'm not convinced that your platform is incapable of utilizing those 980 Tis. It's not as if your performance is bad either. It's just a case where you might want to push the image quality settings up just to get more out of your GPUs but, expecting ~100 FPS or more on many modern games is a tall order. Also, I don't think that "overclocking" signal refresh rates always has an impact on the rate that the image itself changes. Take my monitors, they all do up to ~75Hz but, a smooth scene will not be smooth after I overclock it, so I let it be. A lot can be done to make a machine that already handles 60 FPS fine to be silky smooth and to look nice. You don't necessarily need more frames to have a better experience.

edit:

Heh, if I waited 5 minutes I could have just agreed with what you had to say. :p

Yeah, about my monitor's refresh rate. Not a lot of people know about them they'Re they YAMAKASI Catleaps monitors. They're the only IPS Glossy panels known to be able to reach 120hz (aside from the SUPER expensive professional panels you could get.)

I love glossy so I went with them. My monitor reaches 100hz max (anything beyond that is unstable). I've tested it for frame skipping and calibrated it. I have a solid and very real 100hz refresh rate. So yes, I do everything in my power to reach the frames I desire :)

I've found an interesting link that made me want to upgrade my smaller components in the hopes to gain some "minimum FPS increase"
http://www.overclock.net/t/1487162/...affect-fps-during-high-cpu-overhead-scenarios

(Ram is not that expensive, and since I want to upgrade to 16gb maybe 32 gb anyhow, might as well get it)

cadaveca

My name is Dave
I know all about catleaps, thanks. :p Pretty sure there's a thread on here about them, even.

And yes, faster ram will help a bit. Look for 2400 MHz as it is the most optimal speed based on platform capabilities.

System Name main/SFFHTPCARGH!(tm)/Xiaomi Mi TV Stick/Samsung Galaxy S23/Ally
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D/i7-3770/S905X/Snapdragon 8 Gen 2/Ryzen Z1 Extreme
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk/HP SFF Q77 Express/uh?/uh?/Asus
Cooling Enermax ETS-T50 Axe aRGB /basic HP HSF /errr.../oh! liqui..wait, no:sizable vapor chamber/a nice one
Memory 64gb Corsair Vengeance Pro 3600mhz DDR4/8gb DDR3 1600/2gb LPDDR3/8gb LPDDR5x 4200/16gb LPDDR5
Video Card(s) Hellhound Spectral White RX 7900 XTX 24gb/GT 730/Mali 450MP5/Adreno 740/RDNA3 768 core
Storage 250gb870EVO/500gb860EVO/2tbSandisk/NVMe2tb+1tb/4tbextreme V2/1TB Arion/500gb/8gb/256gb/2tb SN770M
Display(s) X58222 32" 2880x1620/32"FHDTV/273E3LHSB 27" 1920x1080/6.67"/AMOLED 2X panel FHD+120hz/FHD 120hz
Case Cougar Panzer Max/Elite 8300 SFF/None/back/back-front Gorilla Glass Victus 2+ UAG Monarch Carbon
Audio Device(s) Logi Z333/SB Audigy RX/HDMI/HDMI/Dolby Atmos/KZ x HBB PR2/Edifier STAX Spirit S3 & SamsungxAKG beans
Power Supply Chieftec Proton BDF-1000C /HP 240w/12v 1.5A/4Smart Voltplug PD 30W/Asus USB-C 65W
Mouse Speedlink Sovos Vertical-Asus ROG Spatha-Logi Ergo M575/Xiaomi XMRM-006/touch/touch
Keyboard Endorfy Thock 75% <3/none/touch/virtual
VR HMD Medion Erazer
Software Win10 64/Win8.1 64/Android TV 8.1/Android 13/Win11 64
Benchmark Scores bench...mark? i do leave mark on bench sometime, to remember which one is the most comfortable. :o
B or C ... naaahhhh C :p

System Name Brutus
Case NZXT Phantom
I know all about catleaps, thanks. :p Pretty sure there's a thread on here about them, even.
And yes, faster ram will help a bit. Look for 2400 MHz as it is the most optimal speed based on platform capabilities.

What do you mean "look for 2400mhz as it is the most optimal speed based on platform..."?
My mobo can do up to 3000mhz, which would be "less optimal"

Anyhow, I'll start looking at the 2400mhz sets.
16gb sounds about right, correct?

EDIT:

Those are the 2400mhz sets I've found, which ones would be the best?
Also does 2x8gb perform better than 4x4gb ??

Last edited:

cadaveca

My name is Dave
yep. 16 GB.

After 2400 MHz, although latency will decrease, bandwidth takes a bit of a hit. Take a look at my review of the Avexir 3100 MHz kit...

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Avexir/Core_Series_3100_MHz_C12/

2x8 GB performs better than 4x4, for sure. That's because of the single-sided nature of most 4 GB sticks these days.

It doesn't really matter what stick you buy. You'll find that primary timings are similar in all sets, because there is currently only one IC in use for DDR3 sticks.

If you can find some older 4 sticks, like Corsair's Dominator Platinum OR G.Skill Trident X 2400 C9, those will give the best performance, but I haven't seen such kits on sale for well over a year now.

Once you go over 2400 MHz with these single-sided sticks, they really start to show some performance deficits compared to dual-sided sticks. Dual-sided sticks scaled well performacne -wise all the way up to 2800 MHz+. Current single-sided sticks will reach 2800 MHz with relative ease, in nearly every instance. It does take some advanced timing tweaks to get there, though.

Last edited:
System Name Brutus
Case NZXT Phantom
yep. 16 GB.

After 2400 MHz, although latency will decrease, bandwidth takes a bit of a hit. Take a look at my review of the Avexir 3100 MHz kit...

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Avexir/Core_Series_3100_MHz_C12/

2x8 GB performs better than 4x4, for sure. That's because of the single-sided nature of most 4 GB sticks these days.

It doesn't really matter what stick you buy. You'll find that primary timings are similar in all sets, because there is currently only one IC in use for DDR3 sticks.

If you can find some older 4 sticks, like Corsair's Dominator Platinum OR G.Skill Trident X 2400 C9, those will give the best performance, but I haven't seen such kits on sale for well over a year now.

Once you go over 2400 MHz with these single-sided sticks, they really start to show some performance deficits compared to dual-sided sticks. Dual-sided sticks scaled well performacne -wise all the way up to 2800 MHz+. Current single-sided sticks will reach 2800 MHz with relative ease, in nearly every instance. It does take some advanced timing tweaks to get there, though.

I'm not very "informed" when it comes to RAM. When you mention 1side vs 2 sided. I don'T recall ever hearing that expression. 2sided.... is that DDR4 only? or some new tech?
And say I grab a 2400mhz set and somehow manage to get it up to 2800mhz, it won't perform, as well as it would should it be a 2sided set right?

Care to educate me a bit on what 2 sided is (vs 1 sided), your lost me there a bit ;)

EDIT: Oh and I did look around for CL9 2400mhz but they're impossible to find (at least on canadian websites)
The best I can find are CL10 sets. 10-12-12-31 timings if I remember correctly

EDIT: Since my issue revolves Mostly around problems with MINIMUM Frame Rates and not max frame rates, I'm SUPER down for any tips you might have, links, articles... heck I'm down to read dozens of forum posts if I can figure out ways to increase my minimum frames.

Because my 2x GTX 980 TI's do give me impressive frames when it comes to maximum FPS and even when it comes to AVG FPS. The real issue is MIN. FPS. Now of course, some games are badly optimized and make things more complicated, but I'll take any trick I can find. I'll do my own research of my side of things and will post back what I find.

Last edited:

cadaveca

My name is Dave
on a memory 4 GB stick, there are chips on each side. Well, there were, until 8 GB sticks came out. So, if you take off half the chips of a 8 GB stick, you get 4 GB, and that is exactly what most DDR3 is right now, half-sized 8 GB sticks.

OF course, it's not exactly that simple; they do use specialized PCBs for single-sided sticks.

And yes, 2400 CL 9 is usually older 4 GB sticks with memory on both sides of the PCB. It is very rare to find a stick that will do 2400 C9 on newer sticks, since the memory chips that are used to make the sticks have changed.

Kanan

Tech Enthusiast & Gamer
System Name eazen corp | Xentronon 7.2
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X // PBO max.
Motherboard Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus
Cooling Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 w/ AM4 kit // 3x Corsair AF140L case fans (2 in, 1 out)
Memory G.Skill Trident Z RGB 2x16 GB DDR4 3600 @ 3800, CL16-19-19-39-58-1T, 1.4 V
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 2080 Ti modded to MATRIX // 2000-2100 MHz Core / 1938 MHz G6
Storage Silicon Power P34A80 1TB NVME/Samsung SSD 830 128GB&850 Evo 500GB&F3 1TB 7200RPM/Seagate 2TB 5900RPM
Display(s) Samsung 27" Curved FS2 HDR QLED 1440p/144Hz&27" iiyama TN LED 1080p/120Hz / Samsung 40" IPS 1080p TV
Case Corsair Carbide 600C
Audio Device(s) HyperX Cloud Orbit S / Creative SB X AE-5 @ Logitech Z906 / Sony HD AVR @PC & TV @ Teufel Theater 80
Power Supply EVGA 650 GQ
Mouse Logitech G700 @ Steelseries DeX // Xbox 360 Wireless Controller
Keyboard Corsair K70 LUX RGB /w Cherry MX Brown switches
VR HMD Still nope
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 15 095 Time Spy | P29 079 Firestrike | P35 628 3DM11 | X67 508 3DM Vantage Extreme
Aquinus is right, you could play on 5K DSR with that setup, it would at least remove your bottleneck and leave your GPUs 100% utilized and thats what you want - you don't want to see them wasted as you paid a lot for them. Downside would be, lower FPS - you need to test how low exactly. But with overclocked 980 Tis on SLI I think it would be playable.

Another thing to consider: you said you don't want to spend a lot of money right now, so again, my suggestion to you would be to wait for the Skylake-E platform to maximize FPS.
And again: your setup is overkill for 1440p, either use supersampling for a higher internal resolution or switch to Gsync 4K ... or sell the 2nd 980 Ti. Your choice, but that are your best options.
At first its good for you, if you want to keep the system, to add another 8-16 GB of Ram and get a new SSD to add to the 60 GB you already have.

Personally, what I would do if I had your problems: I'd stay with 1440p and try DSR, so basically use a higher internal resolution. And if I didnt like it I would sell the 2nd 980 Ti. That would essentially and instantly solve all problems. I like high fps gaming, so most certainly I would scrap the 2nd card, as 980 Ti is more than enough for good 1440p gaming at the maximum.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
This is the issue with being at the top of the food chain in techland. There is *always a bottleneck* in any system and every application is capable of finding you a new bottleneck.

The key to a good system (and cost-effective system) is balance. Balance in all things. Seeing as you already took the first step towards the top end of the enthusiast tier, you need to follow through or sell one of your GPU's. This means:

- get 2400CL9 RAM, 16GB (or failing that, just 16 GB 1600CL9 if you feel prices are too crazy. CL9 is a very good middle-ground latency setting, don't get stuck with faster memory at higher CL - CL10 is worse than CL9 and CL8 is very rare at this frequency or higher)
- no more page file
- look towards the fastest i7 your money can buy and give it a generous OC. You need all your physical cores for gaming, the i5 bottleneck exists because there is always some background task throwing a wrench into maxing your available four cores towards the game you play. Therefore, a similar gen i7 will already provide a notable performance increase at the same clock as your current i5.
- Run games off a separate SSD - keep your 64 GB OS disk, and place a separate games-only SSD. Don't take a BX100 even though it's popular, because while a very a good buy, this is not the fastest one and you are potentially pushing the envelope here
- Power delivery must be top notch, I don't know too much about the Antec 1200 you have, but you need a PSU with the lowest possible ripple to maintain stability with a solid OC and serious power draw

Personally I wouldn't move to X99 at all, the clocks on E- procs are generally lower and the OC's are more limited because you need to drive 6 cores. Still is better to have 4 faster cores and HT for gaming than going 6 physical cores at lower end clocks. DDR4 has zero measured advantages for gaming, even DDR3 1600CL9 is highly unlikely to present a bottleneck for gaming.

Another thing. You posted a few pages back about the fluctuation in frame rates. This can be another reason to drop the SLI route, because SLI minimum frame rates are almost ALWAYS in the single digits for a vast amount of games. Some of these little stutters probably won't even be noticeable, but they exist. Single card performance is always, and will always, be more controlled and smooth - even if your CPU bottleneck wouldn't exist.

Last edited:
Processor Intel i9-9900KS @ 5.2 GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
Cooling Corsair H150i Elite
Memory 32GB Viper Steel Series DDR4-4000
Video Card(s) RTX 3090 Founders Edition
Storage 2TB Sabrent Rocket NVMe + 2TB Intel 960p NVMe + 512GB Samsung 970 Evo NVMe + 4TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) 65" LG C9 OLED
Case Lian Li O11D-XL
Audio Device(s) Audeze Mobius headset, Logitech Z906 speakers
Power Supply Corsair AX1000 Titanium
Let me throw my two cents in here. With a 4.6 GHz 5930K and two Titan X cards in SLI, I routinely see crappy GPU usage in this game (~80% on each card is common) at 4k maximum settings (minus AA).

That was true on my old 5 GHz 2600k setup also. Either the game or the drivers are just not optimized to get you to 90%+ GPU usage on both cards in SLI. Throwing money at hardware upgrades for this is a waste and won't fix anything.

It's an optimization issue, not a problem with a bottleneck.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
You actually have a setup where it narrows down to that. He doesn't - the bottom line is still that he has a GPU-heavy and unbalanced setup right now that is quite CPU limited. Especially because he likes to run games at high framerates, which is an important part of this discussion. CPU usage grows with FPS, and far less so with a resolution bump. FWIW, his causes for a lacking GPU util can be completely different from yours.

I do agree that more often than not, the key is in optimization and TW3 is no exception. I also agree that for that minimal frame delivery difference, it is not worth investing further into. But that is a choice up to OP, not us ;)

Last edited:
System Name Lowman
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard Asus X570 Gaming E
Cooling 3x 360mm Radiator D5 Pump
Memory 4x 16GB 3600 Trident Z Neo
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon RX 6900XT Merc 319 Black + Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 2x Samsung 970 Evo M.2 1TB + SSDs + Nas
Display(s) LG Ultragear 34gn850, 2x Dell S2721DGFA, Samsung G9 Odyssey, Philips 4K 40" (BDM4065UC),
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL + front Distro Plate
Audio Device(s) NI Komplete Audio 2, JBL 305, Teufel SW5000 THX Sub, Rode NT1-A Steelseries Arctis Pro Wireless
Power Supply ASUS ROG Thor Platinum 850w
Mouse Logitech G903
Keyboard Logitech G815
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores Timespy 18630
Now you've done it... :)
I will starrt a monitoring tool and check my utilization in Witcher 3.

BY THE WAY... Witcher 3 had some performance struggle on my system at first... (weird slow downs). Found the source. The game didnt run in Fullscreen. It switched to borderless mode on every restart which as i understand is not what you want to have with SLI. I switched it back to fullscreen in the menus and now its 60fps without any slowdown (V_sync on - cause steady smooth experience matters more to me in "3rd person controller games" than lightning fast mouse aming with tearing :) ).

Cooling Enermax ETS-T50 Axe aRGB /basic HP HSF /errr.../oh! liqui..wait, no:sizable vapor chamber/a nice one
Memory 64gb Corsair Vengeance Pro 3600mhz DDR4/8gb DDR3 1600/2gb LPDDR3/8gb LPDDR5x 4200/16gb LPDDR5
Video Card(s) Hellhound Spectral White RX 7900 XTX 24gb/GT 730/Mali 450MP5/Adreno 740/RDNA3 768 core
Storage 250gb870EVO/500gb860EVO/2tbSandisk/NVMe2tb+1tb/4tbextreme V2/1TB Arion/500gb/8gb/256gb/2tb SN770M
Display(s) X58222 32" 2880x1620/32"FHDTV/273E3LHSB 27" 1920x1080/6.67"/AMOLED 2X panel FHD+120hz/FHD 120hz
Case Cougar Panzer Max/Elite 8300 SFF/None/back/back-front Gorilla Glass Victus 2+ UAG Monarch Carbon
Audio Device(s) Logi Z333/SB Audigy RX/HDMI/HDMI/Dolby Atmos/KZ x HBB PR2/Edifier STAX Spirit S3 & SamsungxAKG beans
Power Supply Chieftec Proton BDF-1000C /HP 240w/12v 1.5A/4Smart Voltplug PD 30W/Asus USB-C 65W
Mouse Speedlink Sovos Vertical-Asus ROG Spatha-Logi Ergo M575/Xiaomi XMRM-006/touch/touch
VR HMD Medion Erazer
Benchmark Scores bench...mark? i do leave mark on bench sometime, to remember which one is the most comfortable. :o
Trident X 2400mhz C9 seconded! i had that kit in 2x8gb until the PC took a hit :)
if my retailer had the Trident Z as DDR4 kit i would take it without any afterthought!

PS: DDR4 2133 C15 perform exactly like a DDR3 1600 C9 (between a Z97 and a Z170) mainly the reason why i would never take a kit less than 2666 since my DDR3 was 2400.
so DDR3 2400 C9 is good choice.

System Name Brutus
Case NZXT Phantom
Trident X 2400mhz C9 seconded! i had that kit in 2x8gb until the PC took a hit :)
if my retailer had the Trident Z as DDR4 kit i would take it without any afterthought!

PS: DDR4 2133 C15 perform exactly like a DDR3 1600 C9 (between a Z97 and a Z170) mainly the reason why i would never take a kit less than 2666 since my DDR3 was 2400.
so DDR3 2400 C9 is good choice.

Problem is I CANNOT find any CL9 2400mhz kit anywhere on canadian website (online retailers)
Best I could find was CL10 2400mhz.

My favorite up to now is the AVEXIR:
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produc...e=Avexir_Blitz1.1_16GB-_-20-011-097-_-Product
http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=24_311_312_1240&item_id=085854

VR HMD Medion Erazer
Problem is I CANNOT find any CL9 2400mhz kit anywhere on canadian website (online retailers)
Best I could find was CL10 2400mhz.

My favorite up to now is the AVEXIR:
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produc...e=Avexir_Blitz1.1_16GB-_-20-011-097-_-Product
http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=24_311_312_1240&item_id=085854
CL10 is not a big difference to C9 for a 2400 kit, i used a 2133 C11 kit then a 2133 C9 then the 2400 C9 i didn't see a lot difference between C9 and C11

and ALSO! LUCKY YOU I CAN'T FIND ANY AVEXIR KIT AT MY ETAILER! it's my second favorite brand after G.Skill (specially the Trident X form G.Skill )

System Name Brutus
Case NZXT Phantom
CL10 is not a big difference to C9 for a 2400 kit, i used a 2133 C11 kit then a 2133 C9 then the 2400 C9 i didn't see a lot difference between C9 and C11

And who knows, I might be able to overclock that cl10 RAM kit to either tighter timings or a higher frequency whilst keeping it at CL10

VR HMD Medion Erazer
And who knows, I might be able to overclock that cl10 RAM kit to either tighter timings or a higher frequency whilst keeping it at CL10
well my 2400 kit was @ 2448mhz :laugh:

System Name Old but Gold
Processor A10-6800k : 4,700GHz@1.4v
Motherboard Asus F2A85 V-PRO
Cooling CoolerMaster Gemin 2 S524 with a modded crazy fan on it :D
Memory 8GB G.Skill RipJawZ @2400MHz Dual Channel; 10-12-12-31
Video Card(s) Clud3D R9 290 RoyalAce core@1077 mem@1350
Storage Dual 500GB Seagate Barracuda
Display(s) Asus VH198T Res 1440x900@75Hz, Aspect Ratio 16:10, 10000000:1 Contrast Ratio
Case Diablotek Predator
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC892 Unlocked DTS and DD :) !!!
Power Supply Corsair CX750M
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech Generic PS/2 Keyboard !
Software Win 10 Pro 64-Bit
Benchmark Scores 2,810 on Valley 1.0 Custom Preset: Ultra DX11 1080p 4xAA.
Option C all day all night, wait for direct x12 games and see how that fares you if it doesn't please you then "All aboard on the Option A train" xD

System Name YACS amd.
Processor 5800x, 5700g, i9-9900k
Motherboard gigabyte x570 aorus gaming elite. or msi x570 gaming plus
Cooling bykski GPU, CPU. syscooling p93x, or sc-67f in series, or aquacomputer cpu
Memory corsair vengeance pro rgb, 3600 ddr4 16,16,16, 36, or gskill
Video Card(s) xfx merc 310 7900xtx, or 6750xt watercooled. (alphacool)
Storage kingston kc3000 2TB, amongst others. Fanxiang s770 2TB
Display(s) benq ew3270u, or acer XB270hu, acer XB280hk, asus VG 278H,
Case lian li LANCOOL III
Audio Device(s) obs,
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti pro 1000w
Mouse logitech g703
Keyboard durogod keyboard. (cherry brown switches)
Software win 11, win10pro.
The average joe plays the same game on a console, not a PC. Also, most users with dual 980 Ti aren't running 1600 MHz memory, and don't use a PSU that was discontinued like three years ago.

Personally, I'd be looking at replacing the PSU, if each card tests fine on its own. There are quite a few things about your system config that makes me cringe, to be honest.

Agree!... He needs a 4790k, and 2400 ddr3... (What i have, to be so bold)

also i read somewhere so i figured that (not many gtx980 SLI vs gtx 980ti reviews)
the 980ti does not get the SLI boost that gtx980's or titan X's do.
to just "spitball" but it might have to do with the fact that the shaders aren't completely contiguous, and that slows down SLI. whereas gtx980 and the titan X are solid "blocks" of shaders... (if i am wrong, pardon my ignorance)

System Name Storm Ryzen
Processor AMD Ryzen R5 1600X @3.95Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte X370 Gaming K7
Cooling Corsair H105 AIO CPU liquid Cooler
Memory Corsair Vengence LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 RAM @ 3200Mhz
Video Card(s) MSI Quick Silver Geforce GTX 1070
Storage SAMSUNG 960 PRO 256GB SSD, Seagate 1TB FireCuda HDD
Power Supply Cosrsair HX850

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
Umm please change the maximum frame per second option from 60 to unlimited. That will fix your problem
I don't have a problem. If you read the thread you would see that I was showing the OP that there is an option for limiting the frame rate. I personally want the limiter because vsync harms performance too much in TW3.

System Name Brutus
Case NZXT Phantom
So I tried DSR 4k on Crysis 3 to see what it would do and indeed, my CPU usage drops a bit and my GPUs are almost maxed out all the time. So yah, more eye candy there, FPS seems to STEADY a lot around 75 FPS.

It feels a bit sttuterish with DSR but I suspect that would be because the frames dont match the refresh rate, v-sync would probably help here, I'll play with it a little

VR HMD Medion Erazer
So I tried DSR 4k on Crysis 3 to see what it would do and indeed, my CPU usage drops a bit and my GPUs are almost maxed out all the time. So yah, more eye candy there, FPS seems to STEADY a lot around 75 FPS.

It feels a bit sttuterish with DSR but I suspect that would be because the frames dont match the refresh rate, v-sync would probably help here, I'll play with it a little
much better than my DSR 4K experience on Final Fantasy XIV Heavensward .... 30fps ~ (with a softlock on 60) well i use a single 980 tho :D (and FFXIVHW is not GPU hungry as TW3 or C3 ... mmo: CPU taxing )

System Name Lowman
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard Asus X570 Gaming E
Cooling 3x 360mm Radiator D5 Pump
Memory 4x 16GB 3600 Trident Z Neo
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon RX 6900XT Merc 319 Black + Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 2x Samsung 970 Evo M.2 1TB + SSDs + Nas
Display(s) LG Ultragear 34gn850, 2x Dell S2721DGFA, Samsung G9 Odyssey, Philips 4K 40" (BDM4065UC),
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL + front Distro Plate
Audio Device(s) NI Komplete Audio 2, JBL 305, Teufel SW5000 THX Sub, Rode NT1-A Steelseries Arctis Pro Wireless
Power Supply ASUS ROG Thor Platinum 850w
Mouse Logitech G903
Keyboard Logitech G815
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores Timespy 18630
So here it is... i'm sorry for the somehow primitve measurement method, but i did not have much time yesterday.

Screenshot_2015-10-13-19-01-09.png Screenshot_2015-10-13-19-02-41.png

CPU is running 4,3GHZ not 3,3GHZ.
Everything maxxed out 1080p Witcher 3 on 2x GTX 980 (NON TI) - Vsync off.
Depending on the game situation the usage stays between 90 and 98%

With framelimiter enabled @ 60fps the GPU usage drops to about 70%.

Maybe 2 980 ti's would lead to a bottleneck, but with my 2 980s, i don't see a CPU limit or any bottleneck at all.