• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

High RAM usage. What to do?

System Name Brutus
Processor i5 4690k @4.7Ghz (Watercooled)
Motherboard z97 MSI Gaming 5
Cooling NZXT Kraken x61 AIO watercooler
Memory Gskill Ripjaws 8gb (2x4gb) 1600mhz 7-8-7-24
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming GTX 980ti x2 (sli)
Storage 1 SSD 64GB (OS) + 2x500GB WesternDigital RAID 0
Display(s) YAMAKASI Catleap q270 SE 27inch Glossy 2560x1440
Case NZXT Phantom
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar DX
Power Supply Antec TPQ 1200w
Software Windows 7 (64 bit)
I've noticed rather high RAM usage in Call of Duty Advanced Warfare and in another game called "Evolve".

In COD AW, my RAM usage went all the way to 7.1gb (that is not the VRAM usage but RAM usage)
I get 12gb RAM usage in Evolve which is really high. I know I'm gaming at 1440p with all the settings maxed...

But I remember finding a fix on the web for COD AW and I cannot remember what that fix was. I remember that after doing whatever I had found, my COD AW RAM usage had lowered to around 4.5-5gb. I also remember that it had to do with some difference between windows 7 and 8.1

In windows 8.1 most people were getting below 6gb RAM usage for COD AW whereas on windows 7 that number went above 7gb RAM usage.

And now Evolve using 12 gb (even though the VRAM is only at 4gb)
I have 8gb of SYSTEM RAM and checked my pagefile size which is at 8gb as well.

Soon I'll have 16gb but I know such high RAM usage is not normal. How come I get so much RAM usage when the VRAM is 1/3 of the System RAM usage ?!

Oh and that's with No programs opened in the background, just the game and the OS of course