• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

PC gaming with a standing desk

System Name Red Matter 2
Processor Ryzen 5600X
Motherboard X470 Gaming Pro Carbon
Cooling Water is Masterliquid 240 Pro
Memory GeiL EVO X 3600mhz 32g also G.Skill Ripjaw series 5 4x8 3600mhz as backup lol
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming Radeon RX 6800
Storage EVO 860. Rocket Q M.2 SSD WD Blue M.2 SSD Seagate Firecuda 2tb storage.
Display(s) ASUS ROG Swift PG32VQ
Case Phantek P400 Glass
Audio Device(s) EVGA NU Audio
Power Supply EVGA G3 850
Mouse Roccat Military/ Razer Deathadder V2
Keyboard Razer Chroma
Software W10
Does anyone here even do this? After a lot of bad news about the negative health aspects of sitting... I'm really thinking about trying this. It would be easy enough.

A year of PC gaming with a standing desk

For the past year, almost all of the time I’ve spent playing PC games has been upright, with both feet firmly planted. When I decided to switch to a standing desk, I wasn't curious about the (“disputed,” according to Wikipedia) health benefits. I just wanted to give my gaming setup a makeover. If gaining Chun-Li legs was going to a side-effect of playing CS:GO all day, great. But I was mostly concerned with refreshing the look and feel of my desk area.

A year later, I couldn’t be happier with my setup. If I can help it, I won't play PC games in a chair at home again. Here’s what I’ve learned after more than 12 months of playing PC games upright.

By far the most positive change I've noticed while using a standing desk is that gaming has come to feel like less of a passive activity. Being vertical while playing CS:GO or Dead State or Shadow of Mordor makes me feel more present in what I'm doing.
And the modest fatigue that I feel while playing is actually welcome: it’s made me less likely to linger pointlessly at my desk. I spend far less time crawling YouTube or lurking Reddit. I eat dinner at my desk less often, a habit I wasn’t completely proud of.

http://www.pcgamer.com/a-year-of-pc-gaming-with-a-standing-desk/#page-2

CAPSLOCKSTUCK

Spaced Out Lunar Tick
System Name Party On
Processor Xeon w 3520
Motherboard DFI Lanparty
Cooling Big tower thing
Memory 6 gb Ballistix Tracer
Video Card(s) HD 7970
Case a plank of wood
Audio Device(s) seperate amp and 6 big speakers
Power Supply Corsair
Mouse cheap
Keyboard under going restoration
What an interesting idea/thread topic.

I mainly drive so it doesnt really apply to me in this instance however in other applications, telesales for example, many positives evolve from posture and breathing whilst standing.

@SK-1 I dont know but i reckon this thread may benefit from a poll.

Processor Ryzen 3600
Motherboard B450
Cooling Scythe Ashura
Memory Team Dark Z 3200 8GB x2
Video Card(s) MSI 390
Storage WD 2TB + WD Green 640GB
Display(s) Samsung 40JU6600 @ 200% scaling
Case Coolermaster CM 690 II
Audio Device(s) Fiio E10K, Graham Slee Solo II SRG, Sennheiser HD6XX, AKG K7XX, ATH WS1100is
Power Supply Corsair HX650
Mouse Rival 700
Keyboard Corsair K70, Razer Tarantula
I do agree gaming or working while standing make me feel engaged, active or whatever.
Still, I can't stand for very long time, 2 hours max. And I hate the idea of spending hundred of dollars for adjustable height desk.

fun fact, I didn't realize I have been standing since an hour ago xD

Kursah

Super Moderator
Staff member
System Name Kursah's Gaming Rig 2018 (2022 Upgrade) - Ryzen+ Edition | Gaming Laptop (Lenovo Legion 5i Pro 2022)
Processor R7 5800X @ Stock | i7 12700H @ Stock
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X370-F Gaming BIOS 6203| Legion 5i Pro NM-E231
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S Push-Pull + NT-H1 | Stock Cooling
Memory TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z 32GB (2x16) DDR4 4000 @ 3600 18-20-20-42 1.35v | 32GB DDR5 4800 (2x16)
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 4070 JetStream 12GB | CPU-based Intel Iris XE + RTX 3070 8GB 150W
Storage 4TB SP UD90 NVME, 960GB SATA SSD, 2TB HDD | 1TB Samsung OEM NVME SSD + 4TB Crucial P3 Plus NVME SSD
Display(s) Acer 28" 4K VG280K x2 | 16" 2560x1600 built-in
Case Corsair 600C - Stock Fans on Low | Stock Metal/Plastic
Audio Device(s) Aune T1 mk1 > AKG K553 Pro + JVC HA-RX 700 (Equalizer APO + PeaceUI) | Bluetooth Earbuds (BX29)
Power Supply EVGA 750G2 Modular + APC Back-UPS Pro 1500 | 300W OEM (heavy use) or Lenovo Legion C135W GAN (light)
Mouse Logitech G502 | Logitech M330
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Core RGB | Built in Keyboard (Lenovo laptop KB FTW)
Software Windows 11 Pro x64 | Windows 11 Home x64
There's a lot of research that shows proper sitting and standing postures will make all the difference either way and that sitting and/or standing may or may not be of value to any individual. There is no "better way" for all, just for personal preference.

I'd want an adjustable desk so I can sit when I want and stand when I want. Fortunately being a field engineer, I get plenty of walking, climbing and sitting. :)

Personally at home, I sit most of the time, and always when gaming. I read that same article you linked in the OP, and looked into it more, tried a few things, found some more research (I'll post the links if I find them) that kinda clarifies that it is best to try it on a personal preference scale, and that there's no real health benefit to either if your posture sucks. Most people have crappy posture in idle sitting and standing positions, fix those and a lot of health issues can be reduced or even resolved that are related to said postures.

Give it a shot, see what works, and enjoy! :toast:

System Name Space Station
Processor Intel 13700K
Motherboard ASRock Z790 PG Riptide
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420
Memory Corsair Vengeance 6400 2x16GB @ CL34
Video Card(s) PNY RTX 4080
Storage SSDs - Nextorage 4TB, Samsung EVO 970 500GB, Plextor M5Pro 128GB, HDDs - WD Black 6TB, 2x 1TB
Display(s) LG C3 OLED 42"
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V371
Power Supply SeaSonic Vertex 1200w Gold
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
Software Windows 11 Pro 23H2
I think it would be better for most to just get a chair that puts you in a healthier position, combined with avoiding sitting a lot in your non work, non gaming time, esp if your work involves sitting a lot.

The only time I've seen a standing PC station make sense is one that I saw a guy custom make on casters for his garage wood working shop. He mostly used it just to quickly reference parts, tools, blueprints, etc.

My wife has had a triple fracture in her ankle, I have ruined knees from motorcycle accidents, neither of us can stand up for much longer than half an hour without experiencing discomfort.

Like so many, this is one of those paradoxical things where you need to be healthy to get healthy.

System Name Sandfiller
Processor I5-10400
Motherboard MSI MPG Z490 GAMING PLUS
Cooling Noctua NH-L9i (92x25mm fan)
Memory 32GB Corsair LPX 2400 Mhz DDR4 CL14
Video Card(s) MSI RX 5700 XT GAMING X
Storage Intel 670P 512GB
Display(s) 2560x1080 LG 29" + 22" LG
Case SS RV02
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster Z
Power Supply Fractal Design IntegraM 650W
Mouse Logitech Triathlon
Keyboard REDRAGON MITRA
Software Windows 11 Home x 64
I've seen this in Denmark, during my studies. The public administration had desks with pistons, so they can sit or be upright. Many of the people chose to be upright. Also, american teams mainly have their morning meetings upright in order to avoid wastage of time by having a loong seated sessions (so does the leadrship textbooks say ).

dorsetknob

"YOUR RMA REQUEST IS CON-REFUSED"
Dorset where else eh? >>> Thats ENGLAND<<<
Also, american teams mainly have their morning meetings upright in order to avoid wastage of time by having a loong seated sessions (so does the leadrship textbooks say ).

Also saves on office furniture costs as you only need one or two chairs in case any of the female staff are in the middle of being blessed with the next generation of tax payers :)

Coming soon After BYOD (Bring your own Device ) BYOC (Bring your own Chair )

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Yes, standing is meant to be much better for you than sitting. Unfortunately, my dodgy feet won't take it for any length of time, so it's a standard sit down for me.

Hovering over the toilet seat is far more challenging
ROFL you made me spill my coffee! :roll:A miss doesn't bear thinking about...