• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

High fluctuating ping with wisp

Smoshi

I've been having these problems since installing wisp last month. I'm not sure what the problem is, but I'll start with 80 ping, and jump up to 150, 200, down to 120, down to 90, up to 200. Running tracert shows big 150+ spikes on random hops, and I'll run it again the same server is back down to 20-40, and a different hop will have a spike. I'll tried calling my isp and informing them about these lag spikes but they assured me everything looks good on their end.

I have tried with and without a router. I am on a desktop so I'm hard wired. It doesn't matter the time of day, however late at night (1 or 2am it's better for obvious reasons) but still an unusually high ping. Here are 3 tracerts. Two are to a server in Atlanta (for the game smite) the other is to the Overwatch servers in Washington (northwest coast). What I find strange is that the last hop to the smite server shows 50-60ms but in game I get over 100 and never gets anywhere close to 60. It looks almost like packet loss? Or possibly some interference. It doesn't matter the game, I always have a high ping with it constantly jumping all over the place.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also, whenever I call my ISP to help me fix this problem, they change a few settings such as the channel I'm on, etc. but it always makes it worse.

Edit: a buddy of mine that works in networking had some comments.

The first public address (between 192 address and 10 address)
That's your ISP's
So that's their gateway
but it makes no sense as to why it'd go from there, then bounce back into their private network.
At that point it jumps over to OneCleveland.
What's quite interesting is that the f***ing qwest loop you're hitting has more steady ping than this shit.
So anyways
Your connection is bouncing from your local carrier, to Cleveland, then to New York.
you>your ISP>OneCleveland (their backbone)>TATA Communications(THEIR backbone)
You have a serious stream issue.
So you have what seems like issues within your ISP's network.
I'm going to guess saturation
overselling, etc.
Then it goes out into their backbone, and you have issues there...
Again, I'm going to guess either saturation issues or ddos, but a ddos is usually temporary. Your issue is regular.

Attachments

• tracert1.png
    tracert1.png
    52.8 KB · Views: 549
  • tracert2.png
    tracert2.png
    33.7 KB · Views: 459
  • tracertsafemode.png
    tracertsafemode.png
    22.1 KB · Views: 534
  • pingingSmite.png
    pingingSmite.png
    34.7 KB · Views: 441
  • pingoverwatch.png
    pingoverwatch.png
    32.5 KB · Views: 542
Last edited by a moderator:
System Name RemixedBeast-NX
Processor Intel Xeon E5-2690 @ 2.9Ghz (8C/16T)
Motherboard Dell Inc. 08HPGT (CPU 1)
Cooling Dell Standard
Memory 24GB ECC
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Nvidia RTX2060 6GB
Storage 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD//2TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster P2350 23in @ 1920x1080 + Dell E2013H 20 in @1600x900
Case Dell Precision T3600 Chassis
Audio Device(s) Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 // Fiio E7 Amp/DAC
Power Supply 630w Dell T3600 PSU
Mouse Logitech G700s/G502
Keyboard Logitech K740
Software Linux Mint 20
Benchmark Scores Network: APs: Cisco Meraki MR32, Ubiquiti Unifi AP-AC-LR and Lite Router/Sw:Meraki MX64 MS220-8P
Onecleveland is a hosting company or the "community internet" project that cleveland failed on.

System Name Matter's / Helios 300 Predator
Processor Ryzen 7 2700 / i7 7700HQ
Motherboard B450 Tomahawk / Acer Helios 300 Predator
Cooling Arctic Freezer eSports Duo
Memory Patriot Viper ddr4 32gb / 32gb gskill ddr4
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 Super Ventus OC / GTX 1060 6gb
Storage Patriot Viper nvme M2, crucial MX300 275gb, Samsung 860 qvo 1tb
Display(s) Acer 24" 1080p / 15.6 1080p HD
Case Antec 300 / Acer Helios 300 Predator
Audio Device(s) On Board - Steel Series Arctis Pro Wireless Cans
Power Supply Antec 850watt high current pro
Mouse Steel series Rival 600
Keyboard Corsair K70 / Acer Helios 300 Predator
Software Win 10 Pro / Win 10 Home
well what company is providing your wisp? If you are sending and receiving wireless internet into a large apartment building with concrete and steel reinforcements that could be your problem. Also many people are the internet in your area at the same time? Do you have access to other channels and tried those? Or if you have dish or direct TV piping you internet, cloud cover or inclement weather between you and the sat. Why did you switch from cable/dsl/fiber?

Smoshi

well what company is providing your wisp? If you are sending and receiving wireless internet into a large apartment building with concrete and steel reinforcements that could be your problem. Also many people are the internet in your area at the same time? Do you have access to other channels and tried those? Or if you have dish or direct TV piping you internet, cloud cover or inclement weather between you and the sat. Why did you switch from cable/dsl/fiber?

I'm using ncool.net. It's the only isp available in my area unless I want satellite. I live in a rural area with lots of farm land. There are only a couple houses nearby that are spaced far apart. I remember them switching my channel a couple weeks ago when I was complaining about problems and that actually made it worse so I may call them again to have them switch it back. I also use direct tv but the dish is on the opposite side of the house from where the wireless antenna is.

They also said I was less than a mile from the tower so my signal is really good.

System Name RemixedBeast-NX
Processor Intel Xeon E5-2690 @ 2.9Ghz (8C/16T)
Motherboard Dell Inc. 08HPGT (CPU 1)
Cooling Dell Standard
Memory 24GB ECC
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Nvidia RTX2060 6GB
Storage 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD//2TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster P2350 23in @ 1920x1080 + Dell E2013H 20 in @1600x900
Case Dell Precision T3600 Chassis
Audio Device(s) Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 // Fiio E7 Amp/DAC
Power Supply 630w Dell T3600 PSU
Mouse Logitech G700s/G502
Keyboard Logitech K740
Software Linux Mint 20
Benchmark Scores Network: APs: Cisco Meraki MR32, Ubiquiti Unifi AP-AC-LR and Lite Router/Sw:Meraki MX64 MS220-8P
How can it be "rural" and go thru onecleaveland? they are supposedly a muni-isp. They really need to look at thier peering. How far are you from cleveland?

System Name Matter's / Helios 300 Predator
Processor Ryzen 7 2700 / i7 7700HQ
Motherboard B450 Tomahawk / Acer Helios 300 Predator
Cooling Arctic Freezer eSports Duo
Memory Patriot Viper ddr4 32gb / 32gb gskill ddr4
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 Super Ventus OC / GTX 1060 6gb
Storage Patriot Viper nvme M2, crucial MX300 275gb, Samsung 860 qvo 1tb
Display(s) Acer 24" 1080p / 15.6 1080p HD
Case Antec 300 / Acer Helios 300 Predator
Audio Device(s) On Board - Steel Series Arctis Pro Wireless Cans
Power Supply Antec 850watt high current pro
Mouse Steel series Rival 600
Keyboard Corsair K70 / Acer Helios 300 Predator
Software Win 10 Pro / Win 10 Home
ncool is out of Willard ohio. If you are in ohio even rural ohio you should have plenty of options to go with. dsl or cable and those should get you better. Hell even a Verizon or ATT phone as a hotspot should score you better
heck I used to live in Sheffield lake ohio about 45 minutes away and had better internet. if you are near Willard then you are between Norwalk and Mansfield or there abouts that area.

Smoshi

I live about an hour and a half away from Cleveland. Also, unfortunately, I am just outside the coverage of comcast/time warner. Basically any other decent provider. I'm not in the downtown area, but about 3 miles outside it. I've been calling every place I can think of, but I am just really unlucky with my specific location.