• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Microsoft Gives Windows 10 a Major Performance Boost

System Name Old but gold
Processor 3770k @ 4.5Ghz
Motherboard Asus Maximus Gene V
Cooling Hyper 212 Evo
Memory 16Gb 1600 DDR3@2400 Cl11
Video Card(s) GTX 1080 FE
Storage SanDisk Extreme 120Gb SSD (os) , SanDisk 480Gb (Games), WD Caviar Black 4 TB (Games and storage)
Display(s) 32" Samsung HDTV 1080P
Case Some old Dell
Audio Device(s) Onboard HDMI
Power Supply EVGA G2 550w
Software Windows 10 Pro 1903
A little side note, but the Edge is not a rebrand, it is new browser.
It is, however, lacking some important things that other browsers have.

I thought it was U2's lead guitarist?

It is here to say. People (with people I mean the bulk of avarage users in my vicinity) actually think it's cool.

Anyway bootup times are pretty uninteresting.

I did a poor job saying what I meant. What I meant is that we're getting force fed "it's better because of improvement x," where x is functionally a minor upgrade that doesn't do much. Heck, boot times on 7 can get to 10 seconds and under, just like 10. At that point, 5 seconds versus 10 is is really insignificant, when mechanical drives and XP used to be measured in minutes until boot (and there are actually some systems out there that still feature that config).

I think Windows 10 should stand on its own, rather than the hype. I think it's more competently executed that Vista or 8 (what 7 and 8.1 were actually released as). While I still have issues upgrading myself (personal choice at this juncture), I think it's a worthwhile upgrade for most users. Seeing it still acting as if it needs to be sold, because there's something more than minor issues, is depressing.

I've been using W10 since the automatic free upgrade from W7 came out, and I can say that the first week or two I want to go back to W7 badly because of the problems with my sound card drivers, but since it has been taken care of with the newest driver, I don't want to go back to W7 anymore. I can say that W10 is better than W7.

System Name Home Brewed
Processor i9-7900X and i7-8700K
Motherboard ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme & ASUS Prime Z-370 A
Cooling Corsair 280mm AIO & Thermaltake Water 3.0
Memory 64GB DDR4-3000 GSKill RipJaws-V & 32GB DDR4-3466 GEIL Potenza
Video Card(s) 2X-GTX-1080 SLI & 2 GTX-1070Ti 8GB G1 Gaming in SLI
Storage Both have 2TB HDDs for storage, 480GB SSDs for OS, and 240GB SSDs for Steam Games
Display(s) ACER 28" B286HK 4K & Samsung 32" 1080P
Case NZXT Source 540 & Rosewill Rise Chassis
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair RM1000 & Corsair RM850
Mouse Generic
Keyboard Razer Blackwidow Tournament & Corsair K90
Software Win-10 Professional
Benchmark Scores yes
disabling windows.old is a stupid stupid thing todo
you can always run diskclean up or delete it manually if you need the space
i agree with everyone else here you don't seem to have a clue

Well mr ******* thing to do, first I care shit for a recovery option inside a software that should not broke in the first time, and second as i said the thing keeps writing shit to my ssd, and i dont see a way (ehem... symlink?) to move that shit to another drive, so if you are going to gift me an ssd every some time i leave it there, if not, then i want AN OPTION to turn that shit off.

Now i'm clueless as if there is an option or not, and thats why im asking you.

Last edited:

fullinfusion

Vanguard Beta Tester
I've been happy with Windows 10, and it's been pretty solid on my machines. I've disabled the updates recently in 10 but I'm thinking to let it update now that there's this. Then disable again thereafter if I feel so inclined.
yup I made the switch AGAIN from w7 and I'm liking what I see. Way better then launch day for my rig, they at least got the drivers up to par now and fixed a lot of issues I was having with Edge.

One thing is cpu-z totally reads the core voltage like really low... like 0.60v @ 4.6 lol

W10 :rockout:

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
Well mr stupid thing to do, first I care shit for a recovery option inside a software that should not broke in the first time, and second as i said the thing keeps writing shit to my ssd, and i dont see a way (ehem... symlink?) to move that shit to another drive, so if you are going to gift me an ssd every some time i leave it there, if not, then i want AN OPTION to turn that shit off.

Now i'm clueless as if there is an option or not, and thats why im asking you.

What is it you don't want writing to your SSD? Your data folders, or paging file? I didn't quite understand your concern. Perhaps we can help?

The OS has nothing to do with it.
Fastboot requires a fully compatable UEFI GPU and mobo with UEFI boot enabled. U may have a 980 with hybrid bios or the board could be in legacy support mode, which is the default. I don't know...
So don't be snarky. :p

I've installed Win10 using UEFI mode, because I had to fiddle with the HDD MBR by converting it into GPT, because UEFI refuses to work with MBR.
As for the GTX 980, I don't think there is any way to control UEFI or legacy mode... Can't see how...

System Name [Daily Driver]
Processor [Ryzen 7 5800X3D]
Motherboard [Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS]
Cooling [be quiet! Dark Rock Slim]
Memory [64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3600MHz (16GBx4)]
Video Card(s) [PNY RTX 3070Ti XLR8]
Storage [1TB SN850 NVMe, 4TB 990 Pro NVMe, 2TB 870 EVO SSD, 2TB SA510 SSD]
Display(s) [2x 27" HP X27q at 1440p]
Case [Fractal Meshify-C]
Audio Device(s) [Steelseries Arctis Pro]
Power Supply [CORSAIR RMx 1000]
Mouse [Logitech G Pro Wireless]
Keyboard [Logitech G512 Carbon (GX-Brown)]
Software [Windows 11 64-Bit]
Hopefully they fixed cortana flat our refusing to open for me.

IIRC correctly you have a X99 Sabertooth, right? Same here with the X99-S board. Man am I tired. Very rarely it suspends or hibernates, but most nights it does not and instead of 0 Watts is takes 70 idling...

If the cold boot and energy saving bugs turn out to be related, not to my overclocked mobo, but to Win 10 THEY GONNA HEAR ME IN REDMONT!!

Maybe it's because I have pagefile entirely disabled. But pagefile is separate from hibernation file. Both eating almost 64GB together is a huge waste of space. Yeah, the other magic of having 32GB RAM XD

System Name Project Evolv mATX V2
Processor 5800X3D
Motherboard ASRock B550M Steel Legend
Cooling AK400 Zero Dark Plus
Memory 32gb (4x8) G.SKILL 3200 C14 / 1T running at 3400
Video Card(s) Sapphire 6800XT Nitro
Storage Samsung 980 pro NVMe 2TB
Display(s) Dual Samsung 27" G50A's
Case Phanteks Enthoo Evolv mATX in Silver
Audio Device(s) To many to list - generally a modified E-MU 0404 combined with a Project Ember for my desktop use
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Titanium 750W
Software Win 11
I was one of the last hold-outs in the house converting my business machine to 10. Let the kids and wife all be the beta testers for me :)

I can say, I am VERY happy with 10. I did run into a few small bugs with my old / dated external DAC and also with WD utilities software, but other than that, I do feel it is a significant improvement over 7 once you figure out where they hid everything and how to access things.

What is it you don't want writing to your SSD? Your data folders, or paging file? I didn't quite understand your concern. Perhaps we can help?

The windows recovery, that creates windows.old as a means to do a refresh, Apologies if its not recovery the one generating it, and if this is the case, can anyone explain me how Recovery/Refresh works on win10?Âż

I already moved user folders, as for pagefile... i dont know what to do with it, so far i just keep it enabled, on the ssd, with a min/max 200mb/1gb, that was how samsung magician software set it, after selecting maximum reliability. I did read somewhere that disabling it is not a good idea, even if you have more than enough ram (i have 8gb) because of how windows works, and its best to keep it enabled even if with very low capacity..... I dont think that with the use i make of the pc with 8gb of ram windows needs to swap, so i was thinking in disabling it... but idk :D

Ahhzz

Staff member
System Name OrangeHaze / Silence
Processor i7-13700KF / i5-10400 /
Motherboard ROG STRIX Z690-E / MSI Z490 A-Pro Motherboard
Cooling Corsair H75 / TT ToughAir 510
Memory 64Gb GSkill Trident Z5 / 32GB Team Dark Za 3600
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2070 / Sapphire R9 290 Vapor-X 4Gb
Storage Hynix Plat P41 2Tb\Samsung MZVL21 1Tb / Samsung 980 Pro 1Tb
Display(s) 22" Dell Wide/24" Asus
Case Lian Li PC-101 ATX custom mod / Antec Lanboy Air Black & Blue
Audio Device(s) SB Audigy 7.1
Power Supply Corsair Enthusiast TX750
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed Wireless / Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum
Keyboard K68 RGB — CHERRY® MX Red
Software Win10 Pro \ RIP:Win 7 Ult 64 bit
I...... I did run into a few small bugs with my old / dated external DAC and also with WD utilities software, but other than that, I do feel it is a significant improvement over 7 once you figure out where they hid everything and how to access things.
This sums up my thoughts about 10.... "old/dated".... was it working before? Was it serving a useful purpose in your computing life, and working? Then it's not on me to replace it. If it's working, I see no need to replace it. That's different when I choose to. My car gets old, as long as it doesn't get totaled, like 2 out of my last 3, then it's my choice to replace it, or not. That's on me. But a piece of hardware/software that works just fine in its current incarnation? I don't want to be forced to replace it by a new OS.
As for finding everything, I can manage that ok, but it seems to me that with 8 and 10, they just moved things just to show that it was "different" from 7. Why do I need to waste time retraining clients where to find their printers? What was the benefit to them? Nothing? Then Leave it the Fuck Alone!
Change for improvement is good. Change for change's sake is a waste of my time and money.

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950x, Ryzen 9 5980HX
Motherboard MSI X570 Tomahawk
Cooling Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4(With Noctua Fans)
Memory 32Gb Crucial 3600 Ballistix
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3080, Asus 6800M
Storage Adata SX8200 1TB NVME/WD Black 1TB NVME
Display(s) Dell 27 Inch 165Hz
Case Phanteks P500A
Audio Device(s) IFI Zen Dac/JDS Labs Atom+/SMSL Amp+Rivers Audio
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse Logitech G502 SE Hero
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB Mk.2
VR HMD Samsung Odyssey Plus
Software Windows 10
has anyone with pro received the update yet, on 3 of my pc's I see nothing

TIP:
Download 1st the latest Media Creation Tool, it will download the ISO from inside and does not let you make a pendrive with another ISO!

OR use an ISO file and the older "Make USB/ISO tool".

fullinfusion

Vanguard Beta Tester
^
oops posted before I read your post @EarthDog and thanks.

So when is this update rolling out because I still don't see it in my updates, pretty much all I've been getting lately is windows defender definition updates :confused:

Microsoft, you gotta wonder what their play is, first they remove features from Windows 7 like GUI for editing WiFi profiles and disable detection of ad-hoc networks in Windows 8 (so you have to add a profile manually) and then they remove option to change color of a title bar in Windows 10.

And now what, they are bringing back the features they already removed like coloured title bar? I am not gonna fall for this marketing BS. Remove, re-add, market what you removed/re-added?

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
And now what, they are bringing back the features they already removed like coloured title bar? I am not gonna fall for this marketing BS. Remove, re-add, market what you removed/re-added?

The whole windows 10 ad campaign seems to center around babies and touch screens and how they will group knowing computers can be touched.

Not once have I seen an ad for a title bar color. I doubt marketing even care about that, honestly.

Ain't in no rush to update OS.. but glad to see W10 getting decent updates so soon after official release.. maybe next year it will be mature enough to actually use.

fullinfusion

Vanguard Beta Tester
I don't know if this has been posted but here:

If your on build #10240 and want the new November 10586.3 and it doesn't show up in windows update then,

Your like me and haven't done the 31 day plan :ohwell:. I upgraded W10 off and on for a few months now and always went back to W7 o_O

Ok seriously, I have all my programs, games, and windows just as I like it... I was kind of shocked to see that for me Id have to do a wipe and re-load using windows media tool to get the November build.

Here's the thing, I DIDNT!! I ran the creation tool and just selected UPGRADE this computer and didn't bother with the USB, or ISO part and wouldn't ya know it, it worked :eek:

To check what version you have hit the Windows key + r and type ... winver..... then click ok and the version will revel itself.

Just do the upgrade and all your files and such don't change, except all the new updates and the speed... yeah the speed is insane :rockout:

System Name Americas cure is the death of Social Justice & Political Correctness
Processor i7-11700K
Motherboard Asrock Z590 Extreme wifi 6E
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB Corsair RGB fancy boi 5000
Video Card(s) RTX 3090 Reference
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1Tb + Samsung 970 Evo 500Gb
Display(s) Dell - 27" LED QHD G-SYNC x2
Case Fractal Design Meshify-C
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ Gold 1000 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502 spectrum
Keyboard AZIO MGK-1 RGB (Kaith Blue)
Software Win 10 Professional 64 bit
Benchmark Scores the MLGeesiest
"Microsoft released its first major update to Windows 10, with its centerpiece being a performance boost specific to the OS. Redmond claims that with this update, Windows 10 will be up to 30 percent quicker to start-up than Windows 7, and will have higher "performance in everyday tasks"

is there an emoticon for "leans to one side and farts"? ;)

System Name money pit..
Processor Intel 9900K 4.8 at 1.152 core voltage minus 0.120 offset
Motherboard Asus rog Strix Z370-F Gaming
Cooling Dark Rock TF air cooler.. Stock vga air coolers with case side fans to help cooling..
Memory 32 gb corsair vengeance 3200
Video Card(s) Palit Gaming Pro OC 2080TI
Storage 150 nvme boot drive partition.. 1T Sandisk sata.. 1T Transend sata.. 1T 970 evo nvme m 2..
Display(s) 27" Asus PG279Q ROG Swift 165Hrz Nvidia G-Sync, IPS.. 2560x1440..
Case Gigabyte mid-tower.. cheap and nothing special..
Audio Device(s) onboard sounds with stereo amp..
Power Supply EVGA 850 watt..
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech K270
Software Win 10 pro..
Benchmark Scores Firestike 29500.. timepsy 14000..
mine hasnt arrived yet.. i just clicked on the mediacreationtool.exe.. selected update this pc now and its busy doing it..

i will report back.. he he

trog

ps.. well it seemed to behave just as if i was upgrading from an earlier operating system.. i expected it to tell me i already had win 10 or some such message.. it didnt.. it downloaded the full version then went though a hefty "getting updates" session and then proceeded to do a full win 10 install..

the end result was something exactly the same as i had before.. it still reports version 1024.. he he

still it could be worse at least it dosnt appear to have buggered anything up.. :)

ps 2.. i spoke too soon.. it had buggered up my 3D grafix.. sooner than mess about trying to fix it i did a C drive system image restore from an image i made yesterday.. at least that bit works.. he he..

i will now sit back and patiently wait until MS decides to give me what it thinks i should have.. when it thinks i should have it.. :)

i deliberately keep my C drive system on a small 128 SSD so as i can make smallish disk images.. mine are around 40 gig and quite quick to make or restore.. a full restore takes about five minutes..

ps 3.. okay i didnt have to wait long.. a couple of hours later MS has decided its time for me to be officially "upgraded".. it then downloads over 3.5 gig of data and proceeds to go through what seems to be a full install of the uprated windows 10..

pretty much exactly as it did before but this time i ended up with the later 10586 version..

and yep believe it or not its buggered up my 3D grafix in exactly the same way.. this time i will have to fix it.. he he

it also removed my not quite latest version of CPU-Z and installed the latest version..

what else its done i dont know.. i will now attempt to fix the 3D grafix f-ck up.. its gone all blurry and fuzzy.. i will try an nvidia driver re-install..

i think this is supposed to happen while folks are fast asleep in bed.. but it sure aint a small update.. we are talking a full re-install of the new windows 10.. for folks with slow connections it could take a long time and it sure aint something that you can miss.. unless you are fast asleep in bed.. then you wake up in the morning to a new version of windows.. which in my case (grafix f-ck ups apart) looks exactly like the old one.. :)

Last edited:
This might have been nice if I didn't have to waste a lot of startup time with a stuck updated at 32% and having to revert. Of course I need to blame my drivers instead of M$ but I can't be bothered to troubleshoot this right now...

System Name money pit..
Processor Intel 9900K 4.8 at 1.152 core voltage minus 0.120 offset
Motherboard Asus rog Strix Z370-F Gaming
Cooling Dark Rock TF air cooler.. Stock vga air coolers with case side fans to help cooling..
Memory 32 gb corsair vengeance 3200
Video Card(s) Palit Gaming Pro OC 2080TI
Storage 150 nvme boot drive partition.. 1T Sandisk sata.. 1T Transend sata.. 1T 970 evo nvme m 2..
Display(s) 27" Asus PG279Q ROG Swift 165Hrz Nvidia G-Sync, IPS.. 2560x1440..
Case Gigabyte mid-tower.. cheap and nothing special..
Audio Device(s) onboard sounds with stereo amp..
Power Supply EVGA 850 watt..
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech K270
Software Win 10 pro..
Benchmark Scores Firestike 29500.. timepsy 14000..
it is pretty much a complete new windows install.. it even saves the "old windows" on the C drive.. an nvidia driver re-install fixed the fuzzy grafix.. but if its broke that it might well have broke something else i havnt noticed yet.. :)

the pic is after the 3.5 gig download.. a restart involves several reboots and a fair time while it installs the "new" windows..

its worth noting that during what it calls the installing new drivers process this is after what it calls downloading.. it does seem to hang for quite a while looking like its crashed.. mine did it at 27% but its actually downloading loads more data.. with a slow connection this could take a long time and definitely make make people thing the process has crashed..

i could see the new lot of data coming and my connection isnt that slow so i knew what was happening.. but i can see why some folks will abort the process thinking the thing has crashed..

trog

Last edited: