• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

OFFICIAL Call of Duty Black Ops III (Discussion)

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Talk about anything Black Ops 3 here, especially any problems you're having with it.

I solved an awkward one that happened right at startup for the first time and wouldn't go away on its own.

Game ran in a Window, only that this window was so huge that you could only see part of it and couldn't get to anything inside it. Suspect it was showing a 4K picture on my 1080p display. Not possible to resize it by clicking the title bar either. Tried dragging it and shrinking the sides and top (couldn't get to the bottom) but the double headed arrow wouldn't appear.

I fixed it by reducing my video resolution a bit. The double headed arrows then appeared and I was able to reduce it in size to fit the screen. I then set the video mode to full screen and all fixed. The game shows you that full screen can be set by hitting Alt+Enter, so if this happens to you, try this first when that giant window has the input focus. No doubt Activision will fix this one soon anyway, but it's a pretty dumb fault to leave in.

One little easter egg like find for me: the red mug on the console table right at the start of the game after you go down the stairs is just like a real one I have at home!

Last edited:

manofthem

WCG-TPU Team All-Star!
Processor 3900X @ 4.0
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X570-E
Cooling DeepCool Castle 360EX
Memory G Skill Trident Z Neo 32GB 3600
Video Card(s) RX 5700 XT Pulse
Storage Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB
Display(s) LG 34UC88
Case Thermaltake P3
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III 750w
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard G Skill KM570 MX Silver
Software Windows 10 Pro
I'm definitely keeping an eye on this thread. Just gave out a copy and wondering how this game will end up running.

Looking at the Steam reviews shows that there are many issues with this game that really shouldn't be there, but they are working on them.

Also, I was actually considering this game as a purchase, but given the initial problems, I'm holding off til next year.

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Storage Samsung SM961 256GB + HGST 1TB
Display(s) 1080p IPS G-SYNC 75Hz
Audio Device(s) Bang & Olufsen
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
Runs like crap, stutters like mad, tearing is unbearable, and I have constant audio corruption when audio hits the highs.

Aiming and shooting feels like we're playing with airsoft guns, and despite the "levels have multiple choices", it's still just as linear as ever. Even the weapons feel remarkably uninteresting, and so far being a super solider feels pretty much the same as being a soldier.

Oh, and it crashes. I broke the game within 3 minutes, I lost my entire progress after changing some video options (wtf?), and the game just doesn't seem to be able to save mission progress at all. This is probably the reason why they unlocked all the missions should you choose to do so - so you don't have to replay the tutorial because activisions servers went offline.

That's right, if you're playing connected to their servers and make progress in the campaign, you lose your progress if you or they go offline.

I have no idea why CoD is popular. I specifically decided to do this as a review to change my mind about the franchise, but so far all I see are reasons why Treyarch and Activision need to take CoD out the back and hang-draw-and-quarter this steaming pile of poodoo.

EDIT: But I'm sure IGN will give it a 10/10 GOTY

manofthem

WCG-TPU Team All-Star!
Processor 3900X @ 4.0
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X570-E
Cooling DeepCool Castle 360EX
Memory G Skill Trident Z Neo 32GB 3600
Video Card(s) RX 5700 XT Pulse
Storage Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB
Display(s) LG 34UC88
Case Thermaltake P3
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III 750w
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard G Skill KM570 MX Silver
Software Windows 10 Pro
Runs like crap, stutters like mad, tearing is unbearable, and I have constant audio corruption when audio hits the highs.

Aiming and shooting feels like we're playing with airsoft guns, and despite the "levels have multiple choices", it's still just as linear as ever. Even the weapons feel remarkably uninteresting, and so far being a super solider feels pretty much the same as being a soldier.

Oh, and it crashes. I broke the game within 3 minutes, I lost my entire progress after changing some video options (wtf?), and the game just doesn't seem to be able to save mission progress at all. This is probably the reason why they unlocked all the missions should you choose to do so - so you don't have to replay the tutorial because activisions servers went offline.

That's right, if you're playing connected to their servers and make progress in the campaign, you lose your progress if you or they go offline.
Wow, that really is a plethora of garbage and a terrible shame to hear from aa very trusted source! Another Arkham Knight nonsense. :banghead: Baffles me how studios can release garbage...

Oh right, PIRACY!

I have no idea why CoD is popular. I specifically decided to do this as a review to change my mind about the franchise, but so far all I see are reasons why Treyarch and Activision need to take CoD out the back and hang-draw-and-quarter this steaming pile of poodoo.

I guess as long it runs fine on Xbox and ps then that's all they care about.

And yeah, all big game review sites all praise CoD and give it an ultra score and GOTY for everything :mad:

Processor 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI Prestige X570 Creation
Cooling Corsair Hydro H100i RGB Platinum SE
Memory Kingston 32Go 3600MHz
Video Card(s) Nvidia 4090
Display(s) Asus XG27UQ + Asus PG279Q
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D
Power Supply Corsair RM850x White
I play at 1080p with a 970 and had awful issues :

- Uses ~4010MB of VRAM with Extra textures -> Stuttering and lags everytime (partially fixed by lowering to High ~3400MB),
- GPU usage goes as low as 0% here and there (feels like there is a pause, the screen is "stuck"),
- Uses more than 11GB of RAM,
- "Blue Screen" after each game before getting to the lobby ...

But I still enjoy playing it. That's the thing with CODs. I really hope they fix this game soon enough, before it gets abandoned and people can't find players like it happened in Ghosts.

System Name Turbo_Fighter/Pitbull
Processor AMD FX-9590/Intel i7 6700K 4.7GHZ @ 1.41 volts
Motherboard Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 Rev 4.0/Gigabyte GA-Z170N-Gaming 5
Cooling Corsair H105/Corsair H100iv2
Memory 32 GB G.Skill Ares/32 GB G.Skill Trident-Z
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon R9 Fury X/Sapphire R9 Nano
Storage Mix of HDDs SSDs Externals and a 256GB Samsung M.2 in the pitbull
Display(s) 24" Nixeus 144hz freesync/24'' Benq XL2420TE/21.5'' Asus VH226/Panasonic 42" Plasma
Case White Phantom NZXT/Fractal Define Nano S
Audio Device(s) MayFlower O2 ODAC/HT Omega Claro+/Turtlebeach Earforce DSS
Power Supply Corsair AX1200i/Thermaltake Smart 650Watt(EVGA GS 650 Watt took a shit on me)
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Corsair K70
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores They can run Crysis.
I had to disable Volumetric...whateverthefuck, and diffuse maps, runs like a champ for me. Pretty fun game so far, the extra mobility that has been introduced to the series the past couple of games has worked wonders for me.

However, I can't recommend buying it right now, as there are some big server issues.

System Name Unknown
Processor AMD Bulldozer FX8320 @ 4.4Ghz
Motherboard Asus Crosshair V
Cooling XSPC Raystorm 750 EX240 for CPU
Memory 8 GB CORSAIR Vengeance Red DDR3 RAM 1922mhz (10-11-9-27)
Video Card(s) XFX R9 290
Storage Samsung SSD 254GB and Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s
Display(s) AOC 23" @ 1920x1080 + Asus 27" 1440p
Case HAF X
Audio Device(s) X Fi Titanium 5.1 Surround Sound
Power Supply 750 Watt PP&C Silencer Black
Software Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
I get random FPS drops. I read online that a fix might be to take worker threads from 4 to 2 inside config file but I have no such line.

Processor 5800X3D
I get random FPS drops. I read online that a fix might be to take worker threads from 4 to 2 inside config file but I have no such line.
I think it's because they already fixed this issue with the last update, so the parameters are not part of the config file anymore.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Keyboard Yes
One impression I get from this thread is that the CoD series isn't as popular as before, judging by the lack of posts. Normally threads like this would take off in a few hours, but this one hasn't.

I guess I can see why, too. After all, different warfare games are gonna play in essentially the same way regardless of how you tweak them with new abilities and improved graphics making them feel rather samey, especially when they're from the same publisher. So for me, I loved Ghosts (which so many people hated for some reason) and finished it, thoroughly enjoying the story. I then bought Advanced Warfare, but after a while got bored with it and stopped playing as it felt I was just grinding my way through it. I will finish it eventually, though.

Also, these CoD games tend to be released with some very annoying bugs like the one I found, which would put people off who just wanna relax and play a game. They really should be more bug-free at release, not forcing us to wait for several patches over several months to fix them.

It runs fine on my system if i lower the default settings a bit, it dose tear more than any game i have installed ATM, no problem with audio but i have an external DAC so no driver problems.
If you crash to desktop try deleting the "players" folder from the game, it worked for me.
As to why the keep making it, it is simple ... money it might not sell as well as it did years ago but it will make a profit. PC gamers are probably tired of the same thing, but i doubt console players are :)
2015-11-07_00002.jpg

EDIT: it seems ShadowPlay was the main source of CTD i disabled it and runs ok now. I have the latest nVidia drivers.

Last edited:
System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Storage Samsung SM961 256GB + HGST 1TB
Display(s) 1080p IPS G-SYNC 75Hz
Audio Device(s) Bang & Olufsen
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
Just booted her up this morning and discovered the game is now broken. Black screen, game crashes. Looked on Reddit and apparently a number of others are having similar issues. Decided to check the integrity through steam, and now it wants to redownload 8.8GB!

Processor 5800X3D
After some tweaking, here is my best setup. I always play with VSync on, so I forced it in the config file. Max frames per second is set to 0 from the config file too. It gives me a solid 144 fps performance 95% of the time. For those playing at 1080p 144Hz:

Raw

System Name it's a computer
Processor INTEL i5-2500K OC'ed @ 4.5GHz
Motherboard ASUS Z68-V DELUXE Gen3
Cooling NOCTURA NH-C14
Memory 16 GB CORSAIR Vengeance (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 970 SSC 4GB
Storage Intel® Solid-State Drive 730 Series SSDSC2BP240G4R5 2.5" 240GB SATA 6Gb/s MLC
Display(s) SAMSUNG 24HD Model # 2494 Sync Master
Case CM HAF 922
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply CORSAIR Gold AX850 Full Modular
Software Windows 10
Who wants to play any COD game with the lousy (terrible, they suck so much, slow laggy ass, foreign based most of the time) servers they use?
I have been playing COD for 2 or 3 years now and things have just got worse over time. The servers stink so bad and no one to complain to that will do anything about it.
Once again, take your money and screw you. Yet people still continue to buy the games put out by these creeps. They make billions of dollars every release of a new game.
Lol... lots of people like being screwed around for their dough, it is fact. Proof is in the sales.
Not me. All done until I hear something good and positive about server changes.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
Servers are always going to be "foreign-based" to players in every country that servers aren't based in.

Since this is an international forum, I think it's a fair rebuttal to make to your blasting of foreign-based servers.

Last edited:

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
Small tip: I get noticeably better framerates if I close Firefox or other programs before playing the game.

Now, in case anyone tells me "duh!" I've not noticed such an obvious difference with various other games. I've not checked them all, of course.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
There's a massive memory leak in BO3. Just read about it at Kotaku below with the game paused and when I checked Task Manager it was at 11.8GB RAM used. As I watched it, it climbed to 12.6GB and stabilized, see screenshot. Good thing I've got 16GB in my system then I guess. :ohwell: Quitting the game has brought the RAM usage way down to 4.32GB. I might just hold off playing BO3 until some of the biggest bugs are fixed. Weirdly, these are all the same problems that bugged Advanced Warfare last year. You'd think they'd learn wouldn't you?

http://kotaku.com/black-ops-3-launched-a-bit-broken-on-pc-1741328032

System Name Shoebox Sandwich | Razer Blade 14 | Synology DS418 w/ 4X8TB WD Red | iPhone 15 Pro
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AMD Ryzen 9 5900HX
Motherboard ASRock B650E PG-ITX WiFi | Razer thing
Cooling NZXT Kraken 240 RGB w/ Lian Li P28 + Corsair AF120 Slim | Double fan vapour chamber
Memory G.Skill Flare X5 2x16GB 6000MHz CL32 DDR5 | 16GB 3200MHz DDR4
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 8GB
Storage Seagate FireCuda 520 2TB + Lexar NM790 4TB | 1TB NVMe SSD + 2TB NVMe external SSD
Display(s) Alienware AW3423DW & Sony A90K 42" | 14" QHD IPS 165Hz & Sony X90J 65" 4K TV
Case FormD T1 - v2.1 - Titanium colourway w Aluminium mesh | Razer Blade 14
Audio Device(s) Schiit Hel 2E (Focal Clear & HiFiMAN HE-4XX & DROP PC38X) | Samsung Q950A
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum | Razer 230W brick
Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate Mercury | Roccat Kain 202
Keyboard DIY Geek 64 PCB (Kailh Box Deep Sea - Matcha XDA Keycaps) | Corsair K63
VR HMD Oculus Quest
Software Windows 11 Home | Windows 11 Home
Benchmark Scores 2022 MINI Countryman SE PHEV Hybrid ALL4 | British Racing Green| Malt Brown Interior| YOURS Trim
Who wants to play any COD game with the lousy (terrible, they suck so much, slow laggy ass, foreign based most of the time) servers they use?
I have been playing COD for 2 or 3 years now and things have just got worse over time. The servers stink so bad and no one to complain to that will do anything about it.
Once again, take your money and screw you. Yet people still continue to buy the games put out by these creeps. They make billions of dollars every release of a new game.
Lol... lots of people like being screwed around for their dough, it is fact. Proof is in the sales.
Your avatar seems to suit your post well ;)

_____

I'm thinking that BO3 will be the first CoD I won't buy. It really is getting tiring seeing the same game year in, year out and with what seems like more and more bugs.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
Just noticed your post. Not everyone cares for multiplayer, so those problems don't affect them and hence the game still sells. Don't assume that everyone wants the same thing from the game as you.

I'm one of those people that just play the campaign and I'm done. I'll wait a little while until the biggest problems are patched, especially that big ol' memory leak I posted about above and then continue playing it. Heck, I might just give it a go anyway and see how long it takes before it stutters, lol.

Reactions: Raw
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
The memory leak seems to extend to VRAM as well!

Raw

Cooling NOCTURA NH-C14
Memory 16 GB CORSAIR Vengeance (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
Storage Intel® Solid-State Drive 730 Series SSDSC2BP240G4R5 2.5" 240GB SATA 6Gb/s MLC
Case CM HAF 922
Audio Device(s) onboard
Software Windows 10
Servers are always going to be "foreign-based" to players in every country that servers aren't based in.

Since this is an international forum, I think it's a fair rebuttal to make to your blasting of foreign-based servers.
Yepper... it is a fair rebuttal. The servers stink anyways.

And I thank you sincerely for it.

No, not kidding. Wait, where ya going?
THAT's right, walk away.

Raw

Cooling NOCTURA NH-C14
Case CM HAF 922
Audio Device(s) onboard
Software Windows 10
Just noticed your post. Not everyone cares for multiplayer, so those problems don't affect them and hence the game still sells. Don't assume that everyone wants the same thing from the game as you.

I'm one of those people that just play the campaign and I'm done. I'll wait a little while until the biggest problems are patched, especially that big ol' memory leak I posted about above and then continue playing it. Heck, I might just give it a go anyway and see how long it takes before it stutters, lol.
Ah yes, the old single player or campaign mode. Or play against Bots.
I forgot, sorry.
Problem for me is... COD is way too boring that way. Pretty boring multi play too.
I wish you well my friend, game away. Have fun, ignore me.
Rant all done now.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
Ah yes, the old single player or campaign mode. Or play against Bots.
I forgot, sorry.
Problem for me is... COD is way too boring that way. Pretty boring multi play too.
I wish you well my friend, game away. Have fun, ignore me.
Rant all done now.
What was that about boring? ;) I have a terrible, terrible confession to make. As much as I like CoD I think I may have gotten a bit bored of it. :cry: Yes, it's true. I've played quite a few of them including Ghosts which I really really liked, but no one else did. Then I started playing Advanced Warfare, did a few levels, but then couldn't seem to get back into it to finish it. I've now got BLOPS3 (I love the way that sounds silly, lol) have barely started it and can't get back into it. It all just feels too samey now although it's done really well. To be fair though, I have been faffing around a fair bit with my PC lately what with troubleshooting instability (seems fixed) and messing around with Windows 10 so there have been quite a few times when it simply hasn't been possible to play it, lol.

System Name natr0n-PC
Processor Ryzen 5950x/5600x
Motherboard B450 AORUS M
Cooling EK AIO - 6 fan action
Memory Patriot - Viper Steel DDR4 (B-Die)(4x8GB)
Video Card(s) EVGA 3070ti FTW
Storage Various
Display(s) PIXIO IPS 240Hz 1080P
Case Thermaltake Level 20 VT
Audio Device(s) LOXJIE D10 + Kinter Amp + 6 Bookshelf Speakers Sony+JVC+Sony
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III ARGB 80+ Gold 650W
Software XP/7/8.1/10
Benchmark Scores http://valid.x86.fr/79kuh6
I haven't played this yet, but saw this creepy easter egg.