• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Unlocked Realtek HD Audio Drivers Windows 7 & 8 (With Dolby Digital Live and DTS Interactive)

In the instructions there it says to put them in C: drive and the Users Documents folder.

Does this mean the root C:\ and C:\Users\User\Documents? I've done this and run the bat files in the users\documents folder but I still dont have 5.1 in shadow of mordor my go to game to test if it works.
Mate, dont use the bat files then, first backup the 7 XAudio2 files in the system32 folder and the 7 files in the SysWOW64, then delete the files you just made copys of, then put the correct modified files in there correct folders as instructions, thats what i did.

Shiroyasha

Mate, dont use the bat files then, first backup the 7 XAudio2 files in the system32 folder and the 7 files in the SysWOW64, then delete the files you just made copys of, then put the correct modified files in there correct folders as instructions, thats what i did.

Hmm, I just did as you said and I still dont have 5.1 coming from my speakers for games, Did you need to restart? Am I missing something perhaps?

I'm beginning to wonder if I'm missing some files from the files I'm able to download. In the pictures from page one Post #18, Theres files in the folder that User CrackerJack has that I don't see in the files I downloaded.

This is the file I don't have when I download from the front page.

64bit_vista_win7_win8_R271

Are the downloadable files from the front page missing files that they need?

Am I missing something here or Do I not need them?

DontHaveFile.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

yfzrider

Im using onboard realtek from my rampage IV extreme. It has the ALC898 codec and i managed to get driver version 6.0.1.7655. DTS and DD always tested under supported formats tab on all 5.1 channels but they never showed up under default formats tab until using the unlock dll, but they only test output stereo sound. Some games still output only 2 channels, like arma 3 for instance. Even after trying the xaudio mod it still doesnt work. The string you are supposed to mod int he xaudio files isnt even there to replace in windows 10. Im not quite sure the games that seem to be 5.1 are right either as using 6 channel inputs sounds more accurate. Here is a decent list someone put together of games that are surround compatible and some details about them. I cant seem to find anything that says a game for pc has dts or dolby sound, only console games seemed to be licenced. DTS has more bandwidth than ddl but LPCM has even far more bandwidth and a much higher sample rate then both. DTS interactive is 1.5mbits/48khz/24bit, Dolby Digital Live is 640mbits/48khz/16bit

Hey, guys!

First of all I want to thank you for the guide in order to hack the Realtek drivers. I'm using an ancient DD-DTS 5.1 digital receiver I've just dusted off (Creative Inspire 5.1 Digital 5700). Damn, I bought it back in 2002 and it still works like the first day. Well, except the remote control. You see, most of the buttons don't work anymore but I found a replacement just a few days ago, a compatible remote control to replace it. It should arrive next week.

So, my mobo is the ASUS Z87-K with Realtek ALC887, I connected the parts through optical (I had to buy the extra module and connect it to the motherboard since my model doesn't include one out of the box) and I'm running Windows 10 PRO x64 1511 (10586.11).

I'd like to point out the fact that even after being successfull with the modified drivers, Windows is a pain in the ass with my setup when I want to test the audio system. For example, sometimes I only get sound from the front right speaker. If I repeat the test for the same format (sample rate, bit depth or whatever), then I get audio from front left and right.
There are times when I get a notificacion on Windows but it gets muffled. Even worse, sometimes I'm listening to music (using Groove or Dopamine) and the audio gets interrupted for a second or so and then it resumes (I still have to test this with AIMP since I can set it up on 5.1).

Last night I was reading here about the xaudio2.dll files so I got myself an HEX editor and modified them. Now I've got surround sound with Bioshock Infinite. I'll try to test other games as well.

Right now I've set the default audio as DTS 5.1 and I'll keep on testing it.
By the way, you should know that the A1 hack method works perfectly well with the latest WHQL drivers from Realtek (v6.0.1.7667) from 17th November ;)

Thank you guys for all the work and info you've been sharing here. It's much appreciated! :toast:
Cheers! :)

System Name hp OMEN X 900-000NX
Processor Intel Core i7-6700K
Motherboard hp Munich-S Z170
Cooling Asetek liquid cooling
Memory 32 GB DDR4-2133 Hynix
Video Card(s) hp GTX1080 Founders
Storage 256GB M2 Samsung (system)+ 1GB SSD WD BLUE edition GAMING(2x500 RAID 0 config)+2TB SATA (storage)
Display(s) LG TV 43 UJ670V active HDR
Case hp OMEN desktop X 900
Audio Device(s) ASUS XONAR DSX (Active) ,SBZ (inactive), onboard Realtek ALC1150
Power Supply hp 600W
Mouse Logitech G620
Keyboard SteelSeries hp OMEN
Software Windows10 64bit hp OMEN edition
yeah It works !
By the way, you should know that the A1 hack method works perfectly well with the latest WHQL drivers from Realtek (v6.0.1.7667) from 17th November

Hi everyone,

Glad to see some people have made it! Congrats! But I am not very good apparently... Maybe one of you can help me out?

Here is what I have done (btw: OS Win 10 64bits),

1. Download the A1 unlocked drivers

2. Installed realteck latest driver v6.0.1.7667

2. Looked for RtkAPO64.dll in Windows\System32\

3. Copy and replace the unlocked 64 bits dll file intoto Windows\System32\

4. Regedit "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Audio". Add "DisableProtectedAudioDG" of DWORD (32bit value), Set Value to 1.

6. Restart

Result is that I have sound, but I do not have Dolby or DTS enabled... :(

Hey, guys!

First of all I want to thank you for the guide in order to hack the Realtek drivers. I'm using an ancient DD-DTS 5.1 digital receiver I've just dusted off (Creative Inspire 5.1 Digital 5700). Damn, I bought it back in 2002 and it still works like the first day. Well, except the remote control. You see, most of the buttons don't work anymore but I found a replacement just a few days ago, a compatible remote control to replace it. It should arrive next week.

So, my mobo is the ASUS Z87-K with Realtek ALC887, I connected the parts through optical (I had to buy the extra module and connect it to the motherboard since my model doesn't include one out of the box) and I'm running Windows 10 PRO x64 1511 (10586.11).

I'd like to point out the fact that even after being successfull with the modified drivers, Windows is a pain in the ass with my setup when I want to test the audio system. For example, sometimes I only get sound from the front right speaker. If I repeat the test for the same format (sample rate, bit depth or whatever), then I get audio from front left and right.
There are times when I get a notificacion on Windows but it gets muffled. Even worse, sometimes I'm listening to music (using Groove or Dopamine) and the audio gets interrupted for a second or so and then it resumes (I still have to test this with AIMP since I can set it up on 5.1).

Last night I was reading here about the xaudio2.dll files so I got myself an HEX editor and modified them. Now I've got surround sound with Bioshock Infinite. I'll try to test other games as well.

Right now I've set the default audio as DTS 5.1 and I'll keep on testing it.
By the way, you should know that the A1 hack method works perfectly well with the latest WHQL drivers from Realtek (v6.0.1.7667) from 17th November ;)

Thank you guys for all the work and info you've been sharing here. It's much appreciated! :toast:
Cheers! :)
Yeh i posted about the XAudio2 fix, i got about another 15 of my games to work in glouroius 5.1, inc bioshock infinite that was not working before the hack.

yfzrider

Hi everyone,

Glad to see some people have made it! Congrats! But I am not very good apparently... Maybe one of you can help me out?

4. Regedit "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Audio". Add "DisableProtectedAudioDG" of DWORD (32bit value), Set Value to 1.

6. Restart

If you have the latest drivers installed you have to remove RtkAPO64.dll from windows driverstore or it will just reinstall over the modified when you restart. Do a windows search and you will find it.

Hi everyone,

6. Restart

Because your using a old unlocked driver, that RtkAPO64.dll aint even in the folder, you need the newer A1 driver, starts with RltkAPO64 not Rtk. here is link to what i used and worked http://rghost.net/6RfCvqBY9

Im using onboard realtek from my rampage IV extreme. It has the ALC898 codec and i managed to get driver version 6.0.1.7655. DTS and DD always tested under supported formats tab on all 5.1 channels but they never showed up under default formats tab until using the unlock dll, but they only test output stereo sound. Some games still output only 2 channels, like arma 3 for instance. Even after trying the xaudio mod it still doesnt work. The string you are supposed to mod int he xaudio files isnt even there to replace in windows 10. Im not quite sure the games that seem to be 5.1 are right either as using 6 channel inputs sounds more accurate. Here is a decent list someone put together of games that are surround compatible and some details about them. I cant seem to find anything that says a game for pc has dts or dolby sound, only console games seemed to be licenced. DTS has more bandwidth than ddl but LPCM has even far more bandwidth and a much higher sample rate then both. DTS interactive is 1.5mbits/48khz/24bit, Dolby Digital Live is 640mbits/48khz/16bit
Arma 3 now works perfect for me doing the XAudio2 edits, and the hex edits are in the 14 .dll's in win10.

If you have the latest drivers installed you have to remove RtkAPO64.dll from windows driverstore or it will just reinstall over the modified when you restart. Do a windows search and you will find it.

How do you do that? Windows does not allow me to do so..

Because your using a old unlocked driver, that RtkAPO64.dll aint even in the folder, you need the newer A1 driver, starts with RltkAPO64 not Rtk. here is link to what i used and worked http://rghost.net/6RfCvqBY9

Okkkkkkkkay! Thanks :) Trying it now!

I have Dolby showing up in audio output, but not sure that it changes anything. No DTS.
Impossible to remove the file from the DriverStore.

You need to take ownership of the file first

So following the readme in the 2.79 unlicked driver folder (link from Daytrader above), at what stage should I remove that file from the DriverStore? Should I do any change in System32 folder?

Method A1:
1. Download 2.79 drivers from Realtek website. OK
2. Replace file in the official driver with the one here. (Did a search in the Rlt driver 2.79 and replaced with the unlocked A1 x64 dll)
3. Disable driver signature enforcement from advanced startup when installing. To get into advanced startup for Win7/8/8.1/10, hold shift and press restart. For previous Windows versions, press F8 on startup. OK
2. After installation, open Run, type in "regedit" without quotes. Go to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Audio". Add "DisableProtectedAudioDG" of DWORD (32bit value) type and set it to 1. OK
3. Restart normally. OK

Result, I have a Dolby Tab in audio output and in realtek audio software, but no canal selection in the advanced tab. No sign of DTS... :/

You dont need to remove any driver from the DriverStore, just replace the .dll file in the system32 folder, thats it, and you dont even need to do that if you have replaced the .dll already in the driver package.

You dont need to remove any driver from the DriverStore, just replace the .dll file in the system32 folder, thats it, and you dont even need to do that if you have replaced the .dll already in the driver package.

That's exactly what I do. I replace the files in the drivers before installing them.

I am on Windows 10.

Thanks for your replies. Whichever way I do, as I did before, or as you say directly in System32, if doess not work. I get a dolby tab in sound manager but cannot select any 5.1 chanel. DTS is not showing. :(

BSOD

New to TechPowerUp so please bear with me. I deeply appreciate this thread but I do have a question.

I have an X79 Sabertooth and I have followed the instructions shared in post 600. I have one issue that I would like to ask about. DTS:Neo PC.... is it working for anyone? For me it is not. It one feature that I really like using on my other computer that has a P8Z77-V Deluxe and supports DTS connect and more importantly DTS:Neo PC natively. Any ideas what I can try? Thank you!!!

EDIT: I looked in the "Enhancements" tab under the Realtek Digital Output Properties for my "Playback" sound settings and found that DTS connect is missing. On my Z77 board mentioned earlier it has DTS connect as an Enhancement option.

Last edited:

Thanks. Sadly which ever way result the same. A dodgy middle ground not even close to the desired end result for dolby, and absolutely no sign of DTS... :(

Link10101

I have tried both the A1 and the M1 method following the the instructions exactly, aside from moving the .dll into place manually, since placing it in the realtek installer causes it to enter some sort of restart loop. Saying it is uninstalling the audio wizard every single time, rather then installing it after the restart.

After each attempt I am able to select Dolby Digital Live from the control panel sound, but it does not appear in the Realtek audio manager itself, nor does the audio work whatsoever. Anyone else having a similar issue, or know how to solve this? Been fiddling with it for over 3 hours now, starting to get frustrating.

I wonder which way is better myself on the A1 method.
Is it better to replace the dll before running the installer or after?

loanstar744

Just wanted to give people a heads up if anyone here uses Equalizer APO, Realtek drivers 2.79 used with E-APO cause the Enhancements tab to disappear and get rid of Room Correction and Speaker Fill in the Realtek GUI which is extremely important for people using any surround system as it gives you bass in your stereo only outputs over analog. Luckily for me, Room Correction now works properly when upping and lowering dB sensitivity per speaker so I can up my sub output to work properly on my system since surround analog on my Yamaha doesn't support any kind of DSP. Another weird thing with the 2.79 drivers, Dolby Digital and DTS both show up as 5.1 supported formats under my optical output which it wasn't doing before and was previously only showing Stereo even though applications that used either formats worked fine.

I wonder which way is better myself on the A1 method.
Is it better to replace the dll before running the installer or after?
I recently tried the installer method but Windows 7 would constantly disable my audio devices upon a normal restart, (Followed instructions to a T.) only way I could get it to work was if it was always booted into allowing unsigned drivers which is a pain or I could suffer with replacing the DLL's and having my audio randomly stop working until I reboot which didn't happen often.

Just want to confirm that the A1 hack is also possible with the latest WHQL drivers (v6.0.1.7673) from 24th November.

Cheers!