• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Making a USB cable

System Name Desktop
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard MSI Z790 Tomahawk D4
Cooling Corsair XC7 Block / Corsair XG7 Block EK 360PE Radiator EK 120XE Radiator 5x EK Vadar Furious Fans
Memory 64GB Corsair Dominator DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio
Storage 1TB WD Black SN850 / 4TB Inland Premium / 8TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) Alienware AW3821DW / ASUS TUF VG279QM
Case Lian-Li Dynamic 011 XL ROG
Audio Device(s) Razer Nommo Pro Speakers / Creative AE-9 w/ Beyerdynamic MMX 300
Power Supply EVGA P2 1200W Platinum
Mouse Razer Naga Pro
Keyboard Deathstalker Pro
So I have a question here and this is my thought process....

At work I have a situation where I am trying to replace some serial scan guns and parallel printers with USB equivalents.... problem is that the current conduit in place doesn't allow the play to enable me to run the USB lines through them with the old stuff in place. I cannot pull the old stuff out as the boss man wants to have some sort of contingency should the USB do something weird. The conduit is about 1/2 inch in diameter.

Eventually I can pull the old stuff out once I have a proof of concept that works.

I was thinking about making my own USB cables. Now I know USB has a limitation with only going 5m (18ft) before signal degradation and loss start to take place. I have read that using Cat5e/Cat6 will over come this limitation. My concern is power.

I need the run of cable to be about 20 feet and then the scanner/printer cables are about 6 feet each. I read that if I use a pair from the Ethernet cable cable for D+ and D- that I can use the 3 remaining pairs can be used for VCC and GND. With the VCC lines being in parallel it will have stabilize the power and prevent signal loss.

Any idea? Suggestions??

System Name Pinnacle of Mediocrity
Processor 3570k at stock
Motherboard Asrock Z77 Pro4-M
Cooling Xigmatek 1283 with crossbow through 775 holes ...
Memory 2x Corsair CMZ8GX3MA1A160010 - 16GB
Video Card(s) Sapphire VEGA 56 Nitro+
Storage 2Tb hitachi, 512gb ssd for OS
Display(s) LG L246WH + LG W2234S
Case CoolerMaster HAF 922
Audio Device(s) USB audio
Power Supply FSP Aurum AU-600
Software Manjaro KDE
There will be far too much voltage drop for the devices to work reliably more than 15-20 feet without overloading the USB ports - even if you triple up the extra conductors. The USB to Cat5 baluns are a much better way to go, but pretty much all of them are cheap chinese crap, so don't expect any sort of support. The ones you should use would have an external power supply - either injecting stable 5V at the receiver end, or sending 12/24v from the transmitter end and stepping it down to 5V at the receiver end.

Another option would be to actually network the devices on the LAN rather than trying to kludge something together.. Get networkable printers or USB print servers, and there are USB 'device servers' that allow you to network things like scanners/AIO printers, webcams, USB hard drives/flash drives, etc. They might work for your barcode scanners too.

Last edited: