• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Misc. science facts

Processor Core i5-3350P @3.5GHz
Motherboard MSI Z77MA-G45 (uATX)
Cooling Stock Intel
Memory 2x4GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) |Ξ \/ G /\ GeForce GTX 670 FTW+ 4GB w/Backplate, Part Number: 04G-P4-3673-KR, ASIC 68.5%
Storage some cheap seagates and one wd green
Display(s) Dell UltraSharp U2412M
Case some cheap old eurocase, black, with integrated cheap lit lcd for basic monitoring
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC892
Power Supply Enermax Triathlor 550W ETA550AWT bronze, non-modular, airflow audible over 300W power draw
Mouse PMSG1G
Keyboard oldschool membrane Keytronic 104 Key PS/2 (big enter, right part of right shift broken into "\" key)
The light powered by GRAVITY: Lamp uses energy from falling weight to illuminate homes without electricity

It works using a pulley system where a weight can be fixed at one end and as it drops the force drives a generator through a series of low torque gears.
The generator produces just under a tenth of a watt which powers an LED light on the unit itself and two smaller satellite lights that can be hung over a desk or bed.

The designers of GravityLight claim that with a 26lb (12kg) weight it is possible to provide between 25 minutes of light if installed at a height of six feet (1.8 metres).

Jim Reeves and Martin Riddiford, who are based in London, invented the device.
They point out that unlike devices that rely upon solar energy to provide power to remote communities, gravity does not disappear at night.
The device is installed to the ceiling of a room and a bag filled with around 26ft (12kg) of rocks or sand is attached to a cord that runs through the unit.
A beaded cord running through the unit allows the weight to be lifted into the air and it then falls slowly to the ground.
A system of gears and a generator inside the device convert the kinetic energy released by the bag as it falls under the influence of gravity into electricity.
Once the bag reaches the ground it can be raised back up to the ceiling to produce more power.
The energy produced can be used to power the light and other devices attached to a DC power outlet.

The generator produces just under a tenth of a watt which powers and provides between 20 to 30 minutes of light if installed at a height of over 6ft (1.8 metres).

The GravityLight comes with a bag that can be filled with sand or rocks to provide the weight needed to power it

in the past, clocks were powered by gravity..

Ahhzz

Staff member
System Name OrangeHaze / Silence
Processor i7-13700KF / i5-10400 /
Motherboard ROG STRIX Z690-E / MSI Z490 A-Pro Motherboard
Cooling Corsair H75 / TT ToughAir 510
Memory 64Gb GSkill Trident Z5 / 32GB Team Dark Za 3600
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2070 / Sapphire R9 290 Vapor-X 4Gb
Storage Hynix Plat P41 2Tb\Samsung MZVL21 1Tb / Samsung 980 Pro 1Tb
Display(s) 22" Dell Wide/24" Asus
Case Lian Li PC-101 ATX custom mod / Antec Lanboy Air Black & Blue
Audio Device(s) SB Audigy 7.1
Power Supply Corsair Enthusiast TX750
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed Wireless / Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum
Keyboard K68 RGB — CHERRY® MX Red
Software Win10 Pro \ RIP:Win 7 Ult 64 bit
System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
They have found people who were considered mentally ill could and did paint/draw certain specific things as if they understood the chaos in the physical world.

Reactions: xvi
System Name octo1
Processor dual Xeon 2687W ES
Motherboard Supermicro
Cooling dual Noctua NH-D14
Memory generic ECC reg
Video Card(s) 2 HD7950
Storage generic
Case Rosewill Thor
A couple of small changes to a harmless bacterium created yersinia pestis - The Black Death.

But fleas are only part of the story of the plague’s development. While Hinnebusch was working on urease, Lathem was examining another small genetic change that allowed the plague to defeat one of the body’s main defense mechanisms: blood clots.

When a flea bites into flesh, the body responds by clotting blood to prevent bleeding and promote healing. If a plague bacterium gets trapped in this clot, it can’t multiply and spread itself through its new host. Lathem showed that Y. pestis has a gene called pla that its ancestors lack. This gene encodes for a protein that helps to dissolve blood clots. Without a clot, the bacterium is free to spread to the nearest lymph node, where it makes billions of copies of itself.

Lathem’s work, which was published in Science, showed that pla is required for pneumonic plague, a form of plague that can be transmitted from person to person and can kill its host in under 24 hours. But Lathem didn’t know whether pla was the only factor necessary. He turned to several ancestral strains of Y. pestis that continue to circulate in rodents in the highlands of China and Central Asia, likely the ancestral home of the bacterium. These strains provided an intermediate version between Y. pseudotuberculosis and modern Y. pestis. More importantly, some of these particular strains lacked pla.

See the following for BD tour dates

System Name octo1
Motherboard Supermicro
Memory generic ECC reg
Video Card(s) 2 HD7950
Storage generic
Case Rosewill Thor
I think I've posted before about plasma wakefield accelerators. Now it looks like you can build a pretty powerful accelerator with just a little silica.

http://www.symmetrymagazine.org/article/shrinking-the-accelerator

The speeding electrons then entered a chip made of silica and traveled through a microscopic tunnel that had tiny ridges carved into its walls. Laser light shining on the chip interacted with those ridges and produced an electrical field that boosted the energy of the passing electrons.

In the experiments, the chip achieved an acceleration gradient, or energy boost over a given distance, roughly 10 times higher than the existing 2-mile-long SLAC linear accelerator can provide. At full potential, this means the SLAC accelerator could be replaced with a series of accelerator chips 100 meters long, roughly the length of a football field.

Ahhzz

Staff member
Hmmm.. to wake this thread up a little, let's throw some Quantum Mechanics in.

http://journals.aps.org/prl/abstract/10.1103/PhysRevLett.116.167802

https://www.ornl.gov/news/ornl-researchers-discover-new-state-water-molecule

A situation in which water acts like neither liquid, gas, nor solid....

“At low temperatures, this tunneling water exhibits quantum motion through the separating potential walls, which is forbidden in the classical world. This means that the oxygen and hydrogen atoms of the water molecule are ‘delocalized’ and therefore simultaneously present in all six symmetrically equivalent positions in the channel at the same time. It’s one of those phenomena that only occur in quantum mechanics and has no parallel in our everyday experience.”

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
Hmmm.. to wake this thread up a little, let's throw some Quantum Mechanics in.

http://journals.aps.org/prl/abstract/10.1103/PhysRevLett.116.167802

https://www.ornl.gov/news/ornl-researchers-discover-new-state-water-molecule

A situation in which water acts like neither liquid, gas, nor solid....

“At low temperatures, this tunneling water exhibits quantum motion through the separating potential walls, which is forbidden in the classical world. This means that the oxygen and hydrogen atoms of the water molecule are ‘delocalized’ and therefore simultaneously present in all six symmetrically equivalent positions in the channel at the same time. It’s one of those phenomena that only occur in quantum mechanics and has no parallel in our everyday experience.”

My head....it's threatening to explode.....:eek:

Can't stand asap bullshit but this one is awesome

And this one too

Because these guys don't take themselves seriously ... ever

Short but informative video about how Einstein, Heisenberg, Gödel and Turing changed the world. Basically proving that we know jack shit about the things lol

Full transcript is here

Supernova explosions that occurred millions of years ago and 300 ly away may have had a significant impact on Earth

Covalent Bonding. Duh .. everybody knows this but it's pretty short simple and informative video

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
@Drone That Bk (Burger King) element sounds fascinating, but even more fascinating is what that background tune is. Has a fantastic, deep bass line and I'd like to know what it is, but alas, they don't say.

@qubit burger king lolz :D

I agree with you, heavy radioactive elements are really mysterious. And yeah music was cool too :)

System Name octo1
Motherboard Supermicro
Memory generic ECC reg
Video Card(s) 2 HD7950
Storage generic
Case Rosewill Thor
IBM's Watson AI creates trailer for Morgan AI movie. Some creepy s*** here.

http://www.geekwire.com/2016/ibm-watson-ai-trailer-morgan-movie/

Experts may reassure us that artificial intelligence won’t take over the world anytime soon – but they just might invade the multiplex.

At least that’s the plot developing at IBM, where the Watson artificial-intelligence team programmed a computer to come up with a scary trailer for “Morgan,” a thriller about a genetically modified, AI-enhanced super-human.

GeekWire’s crack team of movie critics gave “Morgan” an average grade of C – but I have to say Watson’s trailer gave me the creeps. Maybe it’s the way short cuts are spliced together to create a sense of ominousness without revealing what the heck is going on. Maybe it’s the eerie music. Or maybe it’s just knowing that a faceless piece of software helped create it.

Ahhzz

Staff member
System Name octo1
Motherboard Supermicro
Memory generic ECC reg
Video Card(s) 2 HD7950
Storage generic
Case Rosewill Thor
Galaxy the size of the Milky Way discovered that is 99.99% dark matter.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ered-one-made-almost-entirely-of-dark-matter/

Much of the universe is made of dark matter, the unknowable, as-yet-undetected stuff that barely interacts with the "normal" matter around it. In the Milky Way, dark matter outnumbers regular matter by about 5 to 1, and very tiny dwarf galaxies are known to contain even more of the stuff.

But now scientists have found something entirely new: a galaxy with the same mass as the Milky Way but with only 1 percent of our galaxy's star power. About 99.99 percent of this other galaxy is made up of dark matter, and scientists believe it may be one of many.

The galaxy Dragonfly 44, described in a study published Thursday in the Astrophysical Journal Letters, is 300 million light years away. If scientists can track down a similar galaxy closer to home, however, they may be able to use it to make the first direct detection of

System Name Windows 10 64-bit Core i7 6700
Processor Intel Core i7 6700
Motherboard Asus Z170M-PLUS
Cooling Corsair AIO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Kingston DDR4 2666
Video Card(s) Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB, Seagate Baracuda 1 TB
Display(s) Dell P2414H
Case Corsair Carbide Air 540
Audio Device(s) Realtek HD Audio
Power Supply Corsair TX v2 650W
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Keyboard CM Storm Quickfire Pro, Cherry MX Reds
Software MS Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
I just watched interview with Leonard Susskind about his holographic principle where he explains it a little better ... well, sort of

System Name octo1
Motherboard Supermicro
Memory generic ECC reg
Video Card(s) 2 HD7950
Storage generic
Case Rosewill Thor
I thought the holographic principle had to deal with the firewall problem and last I heard, the best they could come up with was wormholes connecting the sets of particles - the ones going into the wormhole [late edit. was supposed to be ] black hole and the ones going out as Hawking radiation. Now they seem to have refined that to create some sort of identity between these wormholes and the concept of entanglement. Except I think the entanglement idea violates some principle of quantum mechanics.

In yet another thought experiment, Polchinski and his team pondered what would happen if just one of a pair of entangled particles near a black hole’s event horizon fell in, while the other escaped as Hawking radiation. According to complementarity, the escaping particle would also have to be entangled with another Hawking particle. But that’s a no-no in quantum mechanics: Particles entangled with each other outside a black hole cannot also be entangled with particles inside the black hole. Physicists call this forbidden arrangement entanglement polygamy.
https://www.sciencenews.org/article/mysterious-boundary?mode=magazine&context=188541

Last edited: