• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Announces Radeon Crimson Software

System Name Selene / Yoda
Processor Fx 8350 @ 4.4 / Phenom II x6 1090t @ 3.6
Motherboard Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 r4.0 / Gigabyte 890XA-UD3
Cooling H100i / Xig Dark Knight
Memory 4x 8gb G.Skill Snipers / 4x 4gb G.Skill Ares
Video Card(s) Gigabyte R9 290x / XfX DD & VisionTek HD6850's C'fired
Storage 256gb ssd, 2x 2tb Wd Blacks & 1x 1tb Wd black / 1x 1tb
Display(s) Dell Ultra Sharp 2408 WFp / Hp w2207
Case Raidmax Vampire / Chieftec Alum. Dragon Blue
Audio Device(s) Onboard Hd Audio / Onboard Hd Audio
Power Supply Corsair TX 850 watt / Corsair TX 750 watt
Mouse Logitech G500s
Keyboard Corsair Strafe
Software Win 10 pro / Win Vista Home prem. 64 bit
Benchmark Scores What are benchmarks anyway?
Fwiw it picked up my Origin games along with my Steam games. I haven't messed with anything about them yet though ;)

Edit: correction... BF4 isn't showing up :confused:
The only 2 games I have installed from Origin are Bf3 and Bf4 and neither showed up. Now Bf2 installed under steam did.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
What the hell, installing this driver completely killed my sound. I can't play anything.

if you use HDMI audio its just defaulted to something else. go set it as default again.

fullinfusion

Vanguard Beta Tester
Fwiw it picked up my Origin games along with my Steam games. I haven't messed with anything about them yet though ;)

Edit: correction... BF4 isn't showing up :confused:
Do you have a desktop short cut for BF4?

If not, make one or it's not going to pick it up ;)

:edit do a restart too

Processor Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard Asus TUF-Gaming B550-Plus
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S
Memory 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo F4-3600C16D-32GTZNC
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon Rx 580 Nitro+ 8GB
Storage HP EX950 512GB + Samsung 970 PRO 1TB
Display(s) HP Z Display Z24i G2
Case Fractal Design Define R6 Black
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster AE-5
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME Ultra 650W Gold
Mouse Roccat Kone AIMO Remastered
Software Windows 10 x64
if you use HDMI audio its just defaulted to something else. go set it as default again.
Nope. It did something to my system and now after reinstalling both drivers (and going back to older beta) the sound blaster audio service keep crashing. Originally there was no sound, so I removed the sound card from device manager and let it recognize it again, but then I noticed audio on Twitch was all sorts of messed up, I reinstalled the drivers and it seemed ok, but the service crashing started afterwards :(
I guess I'll have to reinstall the entire system, because there doesn't seem to be anything I can do.

When your graphics card doesn't work for no reason (from AMD) and you've tried many useless drivers like Crimson, you will know my post its not USELESS!!!
You could have chosen more appropriate forum to register on, like 4chan.

Tried to install the "legacy" version that "allegedly" "supports" my E-450 (with HD6000 series GPU). Guess what, driver and control panel aren't even listed in the components list (with normal drivers they are listed but refuse to install). AMD, are you fucking kidding me? AMD APU powered laptop, NEVER EVER AGAIN. And I suggest everyone else to follow the same rule. Because this is the level of their commitment towards their customers. Pathetic.

I'll only be buying Intel and NVIDIA powered portable devices from now on. Excellent job, just don't cry next time why you're sinking in fucking red numbers...

System Name Zen
Processor Ryzen 5950X
Motherboard MSI
Cooling Noctua
Memory G.Skill 32G
Video Card(s) RX 7900 XTX
Storage never enough
Display(s) not OLED :-(
Keyboard Wooting One
Software Linux
Tried to install the "legacy" version that "allegedly" "supports" my E-450 (with HD6000 series GPU). Guess what, driver and control panel aren't even listed in the components list (with normal drivers they are listed but refuse to install). AMD, are you fucking kidding me? AMD APU powered laptop, NEVER EVER AGAIN. And I suggest everyone else to follow the same rule. Because this is the level of their commitment towards their customers. Pathetic.

I'll only be buying Intel and NVIDIA powered portable devices from now on. Excellent job, just don't cry next time why you're sinking in fucking red numbers...

The crimson legacy driver is still beta. Only silly people complain about bugs in beta.
But I have to agree with you about AMD policy about support for their legacy products. It's really really poor :-(

It's HD6000, they say HD6000 are supported and yet they treat it like it's Radeon X600 and they just drop it from ALL support basically over night. They didn't even move it into legacy support. They just plain dropped the support altogether. Absolutely pathetic. Like I said, AMD portable device, never again.

It's HD6000, they say HD6000 are supported and yet they treat it like it's Radeon X600 and they just drop it from ALL support basically over night. They didn't even move it into legacy support. They just plain dropped the support altogether. Absolutely pathetic. Like I said, AMD portable device, never again.
15.11 works OK with my 6970....not much to write home about though, seems like the GUI got an update and not much else....

Here is the link I used.......
http://www2.ati.com/drivers/beta/ra...-eg-64bit-with-dotnet45-win10-win8.1-win7.exe

btw is anyone having performance issues?
Upgraded my Monitor again (VE248H) and installed this set at the same time, now Panzer Corps is laggy as hell, plus the sound is cutting out.

Also fonts appear slightly fuzzy and washed out on the desktop.

It's the fact this is APU and they give like zero fucks about it. Discrete graphic cards are fine. And even then it's a bit of a dick move to toss out architecture that is technically still used for "current" gen cards (lower end ones). Yes, even HD7000 and HD6000 series. HD7000 is GCN for crying out loud!

It's the fact this is APU and they give like zero fucks about it. Discrete graphic cards are fine. And even then it's a bit of a dick move to toss out architecture that is technically still used for "current" gen cards (lower end ones). Yes, even HD7000 and HD6000 series. HD7000 is GCN for crying out loud!
Both APU & discrete 6xxx have support, did you even look at the link I posted?

There is a Crimson driver for legacy products only it's a Beta( what AMD driver isn't?) Scroll down the page
http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop/legacy?product=legacy3&os=Windows+10+-+64

Beta just means it's not WHQL signed, nothing else. There is no such thing as excuse "it's only a beta" because all the betas NEVER really changed or gained any actual fixes when they stopped being "beta"...

Beta just means it's not WHQL signed, nothing else. There is no such thing as excuse "it's only a beta" because all the betas NEVER really changed or gained any actual fixes when they stopped being "beta"...
In W10 Beta means the driver doesn't meet WDDM 2.0 requirements laid down by Microsoft. (supported features iirc). U can find the info on MSDN.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
In W10 Beta means the driver doesn't meet WDDM 2.0 requirements laid down by Microsoft. (supported features iirc). U can find the info on MSDN.
Neither of you are actually correct. There are beta drivers that are WHQL signed. I had a discussion with a mod the other day about that because as it turns out there are several betas where some of them are WHQL signed and others aren't. Also, beta drivers have supported WDDM 2.0 since 15.7.

For what it's worth, I bought my first 6870 back in October of 2010, it's now November of 2015. From my perspective, 5 years is a good stretch of support. I understand why @RejZoR is pissed off. I would be pissed off too if my graphics card wasn't supported anymore after just a year or so but, the E-450 was released 11 months after my 6870 was, August of 2011, so AMD had supported it for what? 3 and 1/2 years since release? For a cheap APU, that's not too bad. It's like saying, "I bought a 6870 a year ago, I'm so fucking pissed off that support was dropped on my 5 year old GPU that I just bought." So while I understand why your pissed off, just try to understand the opposite end: The APU is old, it's cheap, and in comparison to all their other products already owned by consumers, is a drop in the bucket. No offense but, I'm getting tired of hearing you whine about your E-450 almost on a weekly basis because support was dropped from low-end hardware that was released 4 years ago. It's not like it was released in 2011 with support dropped a year later.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
and while support may have been dropped, the older drivers still work. the new ones are not likely to have new features for you anyway.

Neither of you are actually correct. There are beta drivers that are WHQL signed. I had a discussion with a mod the other day about that because as it turns out there are several betas where some of them are WHQL signed and others aren't. Also, beta drivers have supported WDDM 2.0 since 15.7.
Beta drivers are not WHQL signed. They're signed with an SDK test sig provided by MS for developers, it's not the same as whql.
This is because starting with W10 MS no longer allows any unsigned drivers at all...even for testing...

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Software MacOS 12.1
Beta drivers are not WHQL signed. They're signed with an SDK test sig provided by MS for developers, it's not the same as whql.
This is because starting with W10 MS no longer allows any unsigned drivers at all...even for testing...
Pardon my ignorance but, then maybe you can explain why several people have said that they've had Windows 10 update their GPU drivers on them to a beta version? If by your logic that WHQL signed drivers are different from drivers with a testing signature, people shouldn't get beta drivers from Windows update if they're not WHQL signed. I personally haven't experienced this as I have driver updates from Windows disabled and I keep up with my GPU drivers religiously but, other have said this.

I would personally test this but, the last time I installed Crimson drivers I had to wait 25 minutes. I don't feel like reverting to an older beta just to see what the device manager says just to wait another 25 minutes to install the stupid drivers again.

Edit: I'm not saying all beta drivers are WHQL signed, I'm saying that some of them might be judging from what others have said on the forums. Once again, it requires investigation and I don't know for a fact myself.

Edit 2: @RCoon said it auto updated him to latest drivers. Here is the quote from the 15.11.1 thread.
That's odd. After wierd resolution bugs I took a look at Catalyst and noticed it had downloaded this new 15.11.1 driver and installed it.

EDIT: A quick check of the AMD forums confirms this. Windows 10 does occasionally sign and install AMD Catalyst Beta drivers.

Last edited:

AsRock

TPU addict
Processor AMD 3900X \ AMD 7700X
Motherboard ASRock AM4 X570 Pro 4 \ ASUS X670Xe TUF
Cooling D15
Memory Patriot 2x16GB PVS432G320C6K \ G.Skill Flare X5 F5-6000J3238F 2x16GB
Video Card(s) eVga GTX1060 SSC \ XFX RX 6950XT RX-695XATBD9
Storage Sammy 860, MX500, Sabrent Rocket 4 Sammy Evo 980 \ 1xSabrent Rocket 4+, Sammy 2x990 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 1080P \ LG 43UN700
Case Fractal Design Pop Air 2x140mm fans from Torrent \ Fractal Design Torrent 2 SilverStone FHP141x2
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V677 \ Yamaha CX-830+Yamaha MX-630 Infinity RS4000\Paradigm P Studio 20, Blue Yeti
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-750 \ Corsair RM1000X Shift
Mouse Steelseries Sensei wireless \ Steelseries Sensei wireless
Keyboard Logitech K120 \ Wooting Two HE
Benchmark Scores Meh benchmarks.
and while support may have been dropped, the older drivers still work. the new ones are not likely to have new features for you anyway.

I would normally agree but i cannot with the case with the AMD's 450 APU as it seems very anti flash now meaning watching video's do not work very well at all.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Software MacOS 12.1
I would normally agree but i cannot with the case with the AMD's 450 APU as it seems very anti flash now meaning watching video's do not work very well at all.
...yeah, it also has a whopping 80 shaders. My Radeon 3650 has twice as many and struggles with 1080p output now. Simply put, the E-450 is seriously under powered and UVD2 very well might not support some of the more advanced features that have been added to flash. All in all, remember that your complaining about one of AMDs slowest (and oldest,) APUs. Remember, less than 100 GFlops of single precision GPU compute is a very weak iGPU.

All it takes is video encoded with a high profile to make it twice as hard to decode. It's not just drivers, it's the format of video and the level of encoding that's used. UVD2 and an underpowered iGPU simply might not be enough and newer software probably just makes matters worse.

Pardon my ignorance but, then maybe you can explain why several people have said that they've had Windows 10 update their GPU drivers on them to a beta version? If by your logic that WHQL signed drivers are different from drivers with a testing signature, people shouldn't get beta drivers from Windows update if they're not WHQL signed. I personally haven't experienced this as I have driver updates from Windows disabled and I keep up with my GPU drivers religiously but, other have said this.

I don't know why but tbh I can't really see how that matters, do WU drivers have to be WHQL in W10? I dunno....first I've heard.. But WHQL drivers are listed as WHQL on AMD's site...Beta are listed as Beta..

It's not my logic btw, MS published this info during the beta testing stage. I'll see if I can find a link but you could look kit up youself on MSDN. Might even be TN.... I forget. It's a full page article anyway.

Wagner over at G3D modded some W10 drivers to get VSR working for Tahiti, even with testsigning enabled they wouldn't install on some systems with W10.... Ran fine on W7 though.
I happened to run across the MSDN article about 2 days beforehand..... he had to get them signed.

I would personally test this but, the last time I installed Crimson drivers I had to wait 25 minutes. I don't feel like reverting to an older beta just to see what the device manager says just to wait another 25 minutes to install the stupid drivers again.

Edit: I'm not saying all beta drivers are WHQL signed, I'm saying that some of them might be judging from what others have said on the forums. Once again, it requires investigation and I don't know for a fact myself.

Edit 2: @RCoon said it auto updated him to latest drivers. Here is the quote from the 15.11.1 thread.

I don't know what the exact differences are between the beta and whql sets, but in the Direct3D library it says certain WDDM features must be supported to pass WHQL.
That's my understanding....I kinda lost interest after frying my 7950. 0_o

Hmmm pretty big coincedence AMD dropping support right when a new OS, and new DX version comes out.... didn't they do that with the 59xx when DX11 was released?

P.S. after reinstalling Visual C updates, my lag went away.

Last edited:

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Software MacOS 12.1
I don't know why but tbh I can't really see how that matters, do WU drivers have to be WHQL in W10? I dunno....first I've heard.. But WHQL drivers are listed as WHQL on AMD's site...Beta are listed as Beta..
Beta doesn't mean it can't be signed by WHQL.
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff553976(v=vs.85).aspx
Driver packages that pass Windows Hardware Certification Kit (HCK) testing can be digitally-signed by WHQL. If your driver package is digitally-signed by WHQL, it can be distributed through the Windows Update program or other Microsoft-supported distribution mechanisms.
Mix that with @RCoon getting a beta driver from Windows Update and you have your answer. I think to clarify, non-beta drivers are always WHQL signed whereas betas aren't always but sometimes are. Beta doesn't imply that it's not signed by WHQL though. At least that is what it's looking like from the 10 minutes of Googling I've done.

AsRock

TPU addict
Processor AMD 3900X \ AMD 7700X
Motherboard ASRock AM4 X570 Pro 4 \ ASUS X670Xe TUF
Cooling D15
Memory Patriot 2x16GB PVS432G320C6K \ G.Skill Flare X5 F5-6000J3238F 2x16GB
Video Card(s) eVga GTX1060 SSC \ XFX RX 6950XT RX-695XATBD9
Storage Sammy 860, MX500, Sabrent Rocket 4 Sammy Evo 980 \ 1xSabrent Rocket 4+, Sammy 2x990 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 1080P \ LG 43UN700
Case Fractal Design Pop Air 2x140mm fans from Torrent \ Fractal Design Torrent 2 SilverStone FHP141x2
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V677 \ Yamaha CX-830+Yamaha MX-630 Infinity RS4000\Paradigm P Studio 20, Blue Yeti
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-750 \ Corsair RM1000X Shift
Mouse Steelseries Sensei wireless \ Steelseries Sensei wireless
Keyboard Logitech K120 \ Wooting Two HE
Benchmark Scores Meh benchmarks.
...yeah, it also has a whopping 80 shaders. My Radeon 3650 has twice as many and struggles with 1080p output now. Simply put, the E-450 is seriously under powered and UVD2 very well might not support some of the more advanced features that have been added to flash. All in all, remember that your complaining about one of AMDs slowest (and oldest,) APUs. Remember, less than 100 GFlops of single precision GPU compute is a very weak iGPU.

All it takes is video encoded with a high profile to make it twice as hard to decode. It's not just drivers, it's the format of video and the level of encoding that's used. UVD2 and an underpowered iGPU simply might not be enough and newer software probably just makes matters worse.

So the real question is why did it perfectly play video's before ?, like come on video's have not just become more detailed or any thing.

Some one broke it and no one wants to fix it, stupid bs throwing away good tech as they just want to you to buy some thing else no wounder were having land fill problems.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Software MacOS 12.1
So the real question is why did it perfectly play video's before ?, like come on video's have not just become more detailed or any thing.
No but encoding video at a higher h.264 profile requires more compute by the hardware to decode it, even if quality remains the same it could be because of how the video needs to be decoded between different profiles. The benefit of this is no loss in IQ but results (usually,) in a smaller file.

William J. Stockich

I hope I'm the only one to post this experience. AMD issued a major upgrade on Nov. 24 called Crimson. I don't pay any attention to these things, but when I turned on my computer this morning, an AMD window appeared, announcing an upgrade was ready to install. I installed it. When it finished, it had knocked out all four of my computer monitors. No buttons, or restarts did anything but return black monitor screens. If you have Radeon graphics cards (I have 2 XFX R9 280X), beware of what may be in store for you if you download the upgrade immediately. It seems too early to know if my experience was a quirk. This is my first post. If I don't receive any help, I hope I can help someone from losing all of their day today the way I've lost mine.

Beta doesn't mean it can't be signed by WHQL.
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff553976(v=vs.85).aspx

Mix that with @RCoon getting a beta driver from Windows Update and you have your answer. I think to clarify, non-beta drivers are always WHQL signed whereas betas aren't always but sometimes are. Beta doesn't imply that it's not signed by WHQL though. At least that is what it's looking like from the 10 minutes of Googling I've done.

On the 2nd point I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing, off the top of my head all the drivers are signed by MS WHQL, some as whql and some as beta...
WHQL is the part of MS which does the certification.... if u get me. I'd have to check so don't quote me....

Also earlier I said the beta's are signed by an SDK cert, but that may be incorrect, iirc unsigned drivers use the temp SDK cert...... Beta's are properly signed hence my comment above....

***Edit, after rereading everything I've updated my post....I get the feeling we're saying the same thing in different ways....

To clarify, yes Beta and WHQL are whql signed....but not "WHQL passed"

Afaik non beta means non signed, which means an SDK cert , Beta= signed by Windows Hardware Quality Laboratories but doesn't meet the "WHQL", sig.... (I think this is an OEM requirement).

Does that make sense? :p

PS. - what type of developer are you? I assumed software so figured you'd know this stuff, prob better than me.... Are u doing web development?

Last edited:

William J. Stockich

I appreciate very much your response and your willingness to help. I couldn't ask for more. But as I said, "I don't pay attention to these things," meaning beta material I never touch. I'd have to search for the meaning of WHQL. So no, while I'm sure your statement is loaded with useful content, I am only a user, who has lost the use of my computer because AMD dropped a download on it that was a bomb. I just went along, and so far I've lost a whole day in futility. Inasmuch as this download is new, I'm hoping that others will read of my experience before they do their downloads, as I suspect thousands will be doing over the weekend There is no need for anyone to be innocently subjected to such a disaster.