• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Anyone else modding their Freesync ranges? Help needed ^^

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard MSI B350 Tomahawk Arctic
Memory 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200Mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 6700XT Gaming OC (2.80Ghz core / 2.15Ghz mem)
Storage Corsair MP510 NVMe 960GB; Samsung 850 Evo 250GB; Samsung 860 Evo 500GB;
Display(s) Dell S2721DGFA; Iiyama ProLite B2783QSU;
Case Cooler Master Elite 361
Power Supply Cooler Master G750M
I tried just now, using this guide as a base, on my Iiyama ProLite B2783QSU:
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1872620

So my display has a rather narrow Freesync range of 48-70(75)Hz and since the FPS of most games I play tend to frequent the 40-48 range when ran on maximum details I thought that it might be a good idea to try a driver modification for changing the lower end to 40.
In theory it did work - the Entech tools involved (it was nice to run into their software again, been a while since my PowerStrip days lol) reported a 40-70 range, but in practice not so much. I ended up with my Crimson drivers reporting no Freesync compatibility (and indeed it did stop working altogether) and Windows (7, 64bit) would recognize a recommended resolution of 1440x900 or sth, whereas it should be 2560x1440.
It was also a pain to get back to the original situation, as reinstalling the display driver and rolling back to the Generic PnP Display that Windows used before did not change the way the monitor was recognized. I had to uninstall everything display related and install the .inf file I made from the .DAT I had saved earlier with softMCCS.
I think the reason for all that crap is the Phoenix EDID Designer, which apparently cannot deal with EDID revision 1.4. Where the guide shows how to change vertical monitor range limits, it ignores the horizontal ones and the MaxPxlClk value. The horizontals for my display should be 120/120 min/max (upon loading Phoenix would set them at 52/50 with the min higher than the max for some reason), so I entered those. For MaxPxlClk it should be 300MHz, but Phoenix would allow only up to 250, so that's what I went with.
Now correct me if I'm wrong, but the MaxPxlClk essentially defines what the max supported display resolution should be, hence the wrong reported recommended resolution in the driver. Where does the Freesync go wrong though? Any ideas?

Hah! As I was writing the previous post I realized that I should basically just look up a proper EDID editor and I found this:
http://www.analogway.com/en/products/software-and-tools/aw-edid-editor/

This thing is amazing and does everything exactly as it should!
All works great now, the Freesync range is properly set and reported at 40 to 70Hz in the drivers.
More importantly, it also works in said range. I tried the AMD Windmill demo and while you can spot an occasional tear at 45FPS (at 50FPS and up to 70 it is flawless), it's nevertheless miles above what the image is with Freesync disabled.
Good luck to anyone else who tries this! Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:

ulf3k

Please download your files, i have buy the Iiyama ProLite B2783QSU!
Thank you...